As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomics Thread: Archime Appreciation Edition

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Order of the Stick was using the circle tool before Whomp! made it cool.

Does that make them hipsters? Or am I a hipster for asking?

It's very confusing.

If you have to ask then you aren't cool

How do I become cool then? Do I ask more questions?

I do, don't I?

You just

lean

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Is 8-Bit Theatre the one run by that guy that threatened to sue Penny Arcade because Tauhid made forum avatars for everybody with similar looking sprites?

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    OotS is...

Uh...

I think I need somebody to sign off on this post after the last time I talked about Burlew.

We know, you don't like it, therefore it is shit and Burlew is a bad person for making a living at it. No need to go there again.

@Fearghaill That's really not the case, actually.

At least since I got yelled at for saying those things.

That's good!

You're allowed to not like it, as long as you accept that other people's reasons for liking it are valid too!

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Really though, to be as unhyperbolic as possible, the best way I can describe OotS is as a Dinosaur Comics style work that missed the point.

Though maybe that's still hyperbolic.

How is OotS really anything like Dinosaur Comics?

like, at all?

If you can give me a good reason then great, but I certainly can't see one.

It's a very broad comparison, but it's mostly the focus on writing over visual design; North uses clipart, Burlew uses stick figures.

The difference is that DC is very tight in terms of writing. OotS is a sprawling mess of prose, exposition, and one liners.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    LANGLY STOP USING MY WORDS BETTER THAN ME?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Really though, to be as unhyperbolic as possible, the best way I can describe OotS is as a Dinosaur Comics style work that missed the point.

like, at all?

It's a very broad comparison, but it's mostly the focus on writing over visual design; North uses clipart, Burlew uses stick figures.

The difference is that DC is very tight in terms of writing. OotS is a sprawling mess of prose, exposition, and one liners.

But

the whole point of Dinosaur Comics is using the exact same layout to frame different anecdotes (basically). And it's cool, but it's about fitting stuff into a defined structure and making it cool because of that.

OotS is a classic story-based comic. It has an ongoing plot and so on. Narratively the two are entirely different, because one actually has a narrative, whereas the other isn't really interested in that at all.

Whatever your opinions on the writing in OotS (and it would be nice if you actually expand on them), Dinosaur Comics and OotS are hardly similar at all beyond purposefully using simplified visual design (for very different reasons). The designs aren't even simple in the same way.

Solar on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Is 8-Bit Theatre the one run by that guy that threatened to sue Penny Arcade because Tauhid made forum avatars for everybody with similar looking sprites?

I doubt Clevinger would do that. man makes comics about robots and talking dinosaurs

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

http://www.squidi.net/index.php

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

no that was squidi

that was fucking hilarious though

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Considering 8 Bit just used the sprites directly from Final Fantasy, I can't imagine that being a thing.
    But maybe it was?

Order of the Stick was using the circle tool before Whomp! made it cool.

Does that make them hipsters? Or am I a hipster for asking?

It's very confusing.

If you have to ask then you aren't cool

How do I become cool then? Do I ask more questions?

I do, don't I?

You just

lean

bloo-in-sunglasses.jpg

• Options
    8-bit probably had me in a similar way OOTS has skullman in that I read it from teh beginning as a 14 year old so I just kind of kept reading out of inertia.

But Brian is actually a really talented writer now, and I'm glad 8-bit happened because now he does Atomic Robo and it's really great.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I had a similar thing with 8bit

something that takes only a couple minutes to read three times a week is a hard 8-year-long habit to break

• Options
    Oh, ha ha, squidi. I forgot the name, and also don't know my sprite comics.
    Anyways yeah that was hilarious.

• Options
    Warbot in Accounting and How I killed your Master were pretty great too.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

no that was squidi

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2003/12/10

This is part of the events that started me lurking here.

This and the Halo thing.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Berk those Tories don't look remotely human

Congratulations on your photorealism!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    FAQ

Q: Should I make a sprite comic?

A: No.

• Options
    nah dinosaur comics has always been consistently great

• Options
    A lot of long running comics start dragging after a while, depending. OOTS/8-bit theatre/dinosaur were awesome at the start because they were something new and different and hit at the right time. They all drag after a while. I don't like Dinosaur comics, and 8-bit theatre got old, but after a while, you just want to see how things end up.

• Options
    NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING OOTS IS UNDENIABLY POOP FROM A BUTT AND IF YOU LIKE IT YOU TOO ARE POOP.

But for me, a pure prose work has to keep its prose tight, or suffer. DC does that admirably, and as a writer, I wish I had half of North's ability.

Burlew, on the other hand, is very verbose, and it shows. Granted, OotS and DC are from two very different places, but when half your panel is one speech bubble, you could probably stand some economy of words that is abit less generous.

AGAIN: THIS IS NOT UNDENIABLY AN IMPARTIALLY BAD THING.

It's just something that turns ME off to OotS.

ME.

JUST ME.

THAT IS WHO I AM SPEAKING FOR, AND NOBODY ELSE.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    it's cool dude, nobody cares

• Options

like, at all?

But

the whole point of Dinosaur Comics is using the exact same layout to frame different anecdotes (basically). And it's cool, but it's about fitting stuff into a defined structure and making it cool because of that.

OotS is a classic story-based comic. It has an ongoing plot and so on. Narratively the two are entirely different, because one actually has a narrative, whereas the other isn't really interested in that at all.

Whatever your opinions on the writing in OotS (and it would be nice if you actually expand on them), Dinosaur Comics and OotS are hardly similar at all beyond purposefully using simplified visual design (for very different reasons). The designs aren't even simple in the same way.

See above.

I can write more on it later, if you want, when I'm not stuck with my Nook.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Rolo wrote: »
    it's cool dude, nobody cares

I just don't want people screaming at me because I accidentally put words in their mouth.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The fact that I have my own opinions is the reason I mostly lurk this thread and don't post, otherwise I'd be opinioning all day long Edit:removed horrific smiley.

Syphyre on
  • Options

no that was squidi

This and the Halo thing.

I credit Mike's attitude here with influencing mine, a lot. The idea that non-commercial sharing of artwork is promotional and positive really stuck with me, alongside animation classes at the same time that made me draw so much I came to think of my work as disposable.

The not-so-hilarious thing is that Squidi claimed he shut down other websites for similar offences. For their forum users having his characters as their avatars? That would just be sad, and ego-predatory.

• Options
    Firman please don't sue me for using your art in my avatar

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    I have shut down at least six other Edcrabs for doing the same thing

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Dinosaur Comics objectively can't get old, because it never repeats itself. The fact that the art never changes, while the text rarely, if ever, repeats themes/plot, is what makes it so consistently good. There's no plot to drag.

Langly on
  • Options
    Please keep doing that, there can only be one

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Man, if someone used one of my things as a forum avatar I would probably sponsor them.

• Options
    So did I swing too far to the other side on this one?

I mean, I'm trying NOT to fall into an old fallacy like I did before with OotS discussion, but I feel like I'm being unintentionally obnoxious.

Again.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    as good as DC is, I find that kind of comics are not really enjoyable in a big batch. You get tired after a dozen.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular

no that was squidi

This and the Halo thing.

there's nothing hilarious about the closure of Black Isle!

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I want the old smileys back

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    OotS is poop from a butt gunbot

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I get startled when I see my art floating around places not directly associated with me. But I like it.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    1335677758.jpg

1335677676.jpg

Shiny arts.

Enc on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    2012-04-30-353_Homework-Dog.png

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    1335677758.jpg

1335677676.jpg

Shiny arts.

you know, this presents an interesting argument that 'shave and a haircut' would never come into existence in a world of anthropomorphic cats

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Oh ho, so the dog DID eat it. And he got proof!
    BUT WAIT
    The proof showed that the student was NOT GOOD.
    And then the teacher puts an "F" note on the dog's poop!

ho ho ho
    ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻
    Stop makin' bad comics!

This discussion has been closed.