As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NHL Thread: Can Lidstrom Unretire? Please?

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gonna say it.

The whiteout in Phoenix is stupid.

The Coyotes started doing whiteouts back when they were the Jets, so it's just a tradition that carried over. It doesn't really make sense when anyone does it, no one has white home uniforms, but it looks cool.

Don't the home teams get to pick what uniforms are worn?

Yeah, but they never pick the white ones, usually do the home jerseys or throwbacks.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    He had a terrible game, but that was the very definition of hack job. The level of blatant disgust media talking heads have for Russian players is really embarrassing. Its borderline racist.

that said GO YOTES.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gonna say it.

The whiteout in Phoenix is stupid.

The Coyotes started doing whiteouts back when they were the Jets, so it's just a tradition that carried over. It doesn't really make sense when anyone does it, no one has white home uniforms, but it looks cool.

I know why they do it. I just think they might as well get in line with the rest of the league and use their home colors rather than look like they're supporting the road team.

I'm just being unnecessarily nitpicky.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    So, I was talking hockey with my dad last night, and now I pose the question to you guys.

Do you think that, after this season, goal tending will go back to the top of peoples 'what our team needs most' list?

I mean, Smith was on super fire going into the playoffs. Quick has been phenomenal all season. Pekka Rinne fills up the entire net without needing to move. Elliot/Halak are still doing work. And in the west Lundqvist and (to a much lesser extend) Broduer are still names to be feared. That's 6 of 8 teams with amazing goaltending, and doesn't even count the youngster Holtbys performance against the Broons.

Do you think this'll learn teams like San Jose who gave away Nobokov and Chicago who gave away Niemi that they were 'tards?

Is this post season the re-emergence of the goalie as the most valuable position on the ice?

You're fucking crazy. Goalie is such an overrated position. It may be the most overrated position in all of sports.
    M6ELA.png

I'm going to keep telling myself this over and over and over again until I start believing it. SA795.png

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I hate that goal, but he kept them in the game when it really mattered. Although, I guess 8 minutes left in a 3-2 game is a time that really matters. Heh.

Bryz was stellar, everyone slacked. Bryz slacked, everyone was stellar. I'll take that.

Bryz-Robs-Letang-628x353.jpg

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    You could probably score a watermelon through Bryz's 5-hole.

• Options
    Watermelon isn't as big as a beach ball. I'll take it!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    He had a terrible game, but that was the very definition of hack job. The level of blatant disgust media talking heads have for Russian players is really embarrassing. Its borderline racist.

You are being overly sensitive. There was no racism there (see Don Cherry for examples of racism.) The criticism was warranted, considering what Nashville expected from the guy. He had a terrible 2 games when they matter most and was absolutely pedestrian on some of those plays that resulted in a given goal.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Indeed. It doesn't make sense. The visitors wear white. The home team is wearing red.

Ya I wad a bit confused in game one, thought Nash was wearing that red because of it.

• Options
    Tommatt, we just won our second EASHL championship like a half hour ago. ;)

Im the best goalie ever!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    St Louis comes back and wins this game. #boldprediction

• Options
    My original picks are shattered, so I'm gonna try again with this next round.

Rangers > Caps in 6
    Flyers > Devils in 5

Kings > Blues in 7
    Preds > Coyotoes in 6

Watching how the Kings are playing, or rather how the Blues aren't, 7 seems a bit high now.

• Options

Im the best goalie ever!

What!?! Since when did you get good at goalie :p. How many players did you guys have this time? Me and my buddy faced some cheese in the championship and couldnt overcome it :(.

Kings up 4-0. Their PK has score more goals this series then their PP. Blues look done in this game. Hope LA can keep it up.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Woah, LA used up 2-3 games worth of goals in that first period

• Options
    Also, for some reason I think I am rooting for the Caps the rest of the way (even though it's probably not going to be much longer)

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Go Kings

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Honestly charging seems to be a really nebulous penalty. I don't understand what brown did wrong there. Guy had the puck, he went to make clean hit on him.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I can't even fathom how Quick made that save.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote: »

Im the best goalie ever!

What!?! Since when did you get good at goalie :p. How many players did you guys have this time? Me and my buddy faced some cheese in the championship and couldnt overcome it :(.

Kings up 4-0. Their PK has score more goals this series then their PP. Blues look done in this game. Hope LA can keep it up.

It was me in goal and two forwards for 2 games and then 3 for the last two. I think the other team quit two or three times (some might have been toward the end of the game).

The championship was a joke. The other team had TWO PLAYERS. One was center, the other goalie (because we match goalie). The pregame stats showed the center having TWO POINTS IN NINE GAMES. Hahaha. We waited until two minutes in so the game would count and then went up like 4-0 or something. They quit maybe halfway through the game. I have two shutouts in two finals games as goalie!

To keep this kind of on topic, yay Washington! If the Flyers somehow get beat before the finals and it is Rangers-Kings, I don't know who to cheer for. I don't want to see Carter hoist the Cup.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how game 3 gets played. Game got heated there at the end.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Whelp, LA is the team we thought they were going to be when the season started. I hope they have a really, really long summer. The Kings beating the Flyers in the finals would produce all sorts of lulz.

Kind of glad Mike Gillis didn't go all in at the trade deadline for the Cancucks. If Luongo gets traded, their window widens instead.

Matrias on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Amazing game for the Kings again. I think practically every Kings fan is shocked by how well this team has been playing this far. Unfortunately, it's only been 2 games. If the Blues can take game 3, it's a whole new series.

EDIT: The Kings power play is atrocious, though. Don't expect them to make it very far if they keep producing big fat zero goals on the PP every game. What a momentum killer.

KPC on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So i just got one, single ticket to my first ever Capitals game at the Verizon Center. I've seen them in Rochester, NY once (the Buffalo Sabres did a home game there about 5 years ago). I just kind of decided the only thing that could make this weekend better was after the midnight screening of Avengers, catch some sleep, wake up and drive 7 hours to DC to be there in person.

so if any of you guys happen to be going as well, I'm flying solo and just going to enjoy being around other fans. let me know and I'll buy you a $20 beer, or however much they are in fancy NHL arenas.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KPC wrote: »
    Amazing game for the Kings again. I think practically every Kings fan is shocked by how well this team has been playing this far. Unfortunately, it's only been 2 games. If the Blues can take game 3, it's a whole new series.

EDIT: The Kings power play is atrocious, though. Don't expect them to make it very far if they keep producing big fat zero goals on the PP every game. What a momentum killer.

I dunno, they're doing well on every other front, and they're not so awful at the PP they're letting short handers. At the very least the PP is 2+ minutes the other team won't have a chance to score. I don't think it'll be their Achilles heel as long as they kept playing the way they are.

• Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    Yeah, it didn't really hurt the bruins last year. They ended up like 1 for 29 on the PP, I think?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    Yeah, it didn't really hurt the bruins last year. They ended up like 1 for 29 on the PP, I think?

I was pretty sure the Bolts gave up plenty on the PP last year in their series with the Bruins but couldn't remember off-hand. Either way, tried to google around a bit and found a fantastic quote from just after they lost game 7
    Backup netminder Mike Smith played well in relief in three games of the East finals and might have shown he has the mental moxie to be an NHL starter.

Who would've thunk how that the next year he'd be getting close to being an NHL starter in the West finals.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Radulov are missing game 3 because they violated team rules. Ummmmm, what??

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I am guessing that team rule was "backcheck, motherfuckers."

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Extra curricular activities.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Extra curricular activities.

AKA, being up past midnight getting hammered the night before a game.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

Haha, anyone who codified that in the team rules would be my Jack Adams nominee for life.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

Haha, anyone who codified that in the team rules would be my Jack Adams nominee for life.

This was basically Scotty Bowman's philosophy in life. He almost traded Steve fucking Yzerman until The Captain bought in.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I bet the Preds win this game and we're all oohing about Trotz sent a message to his players.

and I will roll my eyes!

Matrias on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So I get ready to watch the flyers game, cook my dinner early, sit down aaaaand...

Apparently I lost nbc sports channel between last night and now. Never get DirectTv, folks.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    So I get ready to watch the flyers game, cook my dinner early, sit down aaaaand...

Apparently I lost nbc sports channel between last night and now. Never get DirectTv, folks.

I don't know if it is my cable box, TV, or the station itself, but the audio has been shitty for me. High, low, scratchy here and there.

Still not scared of the Devils.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Flyers have not made a shot so far in the second period, with 2:30 left. This has been a Bryz test, and he's passing, but the team is failing.

(edit) The handout shirts are great, though: "Great Balls of Flyer"

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Still not scared of the Devils. Flyers need to get their shit together. There is probably one sad soda machine in the back right now.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    You'd think the way Bryz has been playing this game that confidence would be instilled and they'd take some chances to open up the lead.

• Options
    Lavy probably ripped into them good. I expect them to get their shit together.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Every time I look at the TV it seems the Devils are in the Flyers end, I don't think they got it together very well.