As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    shwaip wrote: »
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    I have about 10 buttons on my mouse but, man, my mouse arm gets tired enough as it is, warping in 12 units at a time for 20 minutes.
    gotta switch to zerg. just have to pick which key you want to hold down: d, z, or r.

Just bind 'em all to the same button and let fate decide.

• shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    I have about 10 buttons on my mouse but, man, my mouse arm gets tired enough as it is, warping in 12 units at a time for 20 minutes.
    gotta switch to zerg. just have to pick which key you want to hold down: d, z, or r.

Just bind 'em all to the same button and let fate decide.

Have a macro that only lets you build drones for the first 7.5 minutes, then only roaches. Welcome to stephano's ZvP.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    SEA news podcast has moonglade on this week!

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A while back we were discussing the viability of streaming as income source for players. We were using the statistic of $0.002 per ad per viewer that twitch.tv offers, but we were somewhat uninformed about viewer numbers.

A TL poster recorded the top 50 streams by average viewers on TL over the last month and a half here.
    top50.png

Assuming 4 games an hour with 3 ads after every game is 12 ads an hour or $0.024 per hour per average viewer, hourly 'wage' for streaming would be roughly as follows:
    1. Stephano $190
    2. Idra $190
    3. White-Ra $95
    4. MKP $95
    5. Demuslim $85
    6. MC $75
    7. Grubby $75
    8. TLO $70
    9. Hero $70
    10. Destiny $65
    25. Select $30
    50. Byun $15

So, the top 50 at least are decently well off.

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Someone said this before but yeah...

ZvZ is so much fun once you understand the tango.

Until then, it is nothing but a blight endeavour

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    A while back we were discussing the viability of streaming as income source for players. We were using the statistic of $0.002 per ad per viewer that twitch.tv offers, but we were somewhat uninformed about viewer numbers.

A TL poster recorded the top 50 streams by average viewers on TL over the last month and a half here.
    top50.png

Assuming 4 games an hour with 3 ads after every game is 12 ads an hour or $0.024 per hour per average viewer, hourly 'wage' for streaming would be roughly as follows:
    1. Stephano $190
    2. Idra $190
    3. White-Ra $95
    4. MKP $95
    5. Demuslim $85
    6. MC $75
    7. Grubby $75
    8. TLO $70
    9. Hero $70
    10. Destiny $65
    25. Select $30
    50. Byun $15

So, the top 50 at least are decently well off.

Their well-off-ness varies immensely with how much they stream.

Destiny might only make $65 an hour with a lower viewer count, but he streamed for 288 hours between now and 22/3, making a total of, apparently, $18,720

Whereas Stephano has just under triple Destiny's hourly wage, but only streamed for 23 hours, making just under $4500

I think streaming on own3d (rather than twitch) gets you a bit more money as well.

Who is Hui?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Who is Hui?

Chinese progamer.

• narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    I am moving to Hungary.
    Day 9 says Hungary will be annexed by America.
    I CANNOT ESCAPE

Narwhal#1834
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    I am moving to Hungary.
    Day 9 says Hungary will be annexed by America.
    I CANNOT ESCAPE

Of course. Hungary First. Then Turkey. Then Chile. Then the city of Hamburg in Germany. Anything food related must be owned by us Americans.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    seriously

I never even thought of doing that. I have those two buttons bound to control group 9 and 0 and I always forget to use those for useful things anyway

Changing right now

I tried using mousekeys for stuff and I just don't like it. personal preference obviously but I can't use them without moving the mouse in a weird way and it's just not something I could make work and be comfortable.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited May 2012
    also while I'm very psyched for some code A tonight... I think boxer is not playing. I think he gave up his spot due to injury?

edit - yeah forfeited http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=329531

I saw those streaming numbers earlier, thanks for doing that math though Yilias that's extremely enlightening.

Variable on
    Day 9 is in rare form with these stories tonight...

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Who is Hui?

Chinese progamer.

11 hours a day streaming. wtf.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    I think streaming on own3d (rather than twitch) gets you a bit more money as well.

there's been a bit of drama in regards to how long own3d takes to pay out ad revenue to its streamers

a league of legends team well-known for their ability to draw absurd viewer counts (upwards of 25,000 during peak hours) recently left own3d and moved to twitch because they had apparently been waiting for their check from own3d for four months

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    these professional cannon rush games are hilarious.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    It's also not as simple as just a flat rate per viewer per hour. The payout changes a lot based on where your viewers are from, how many ads they've already seen (if you constantly rotate out viewers you'll make more money than if you show ads to the same viewers for 12 hours straight, and you'll make more if your viewers didn't just switch to you from another stream), etc. Some ads allow unlimited plays, while others will only allow you to play them at a certain rate.

Ready for this hypothesis?: Gaulzi is day[9]'s drunk account.

• narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Gaulzi is my new favorite player

Narwhal#1834
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    these professional cannon rush games are hilarious.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    ohmigosh you guys nada is streaming

Does he do this regularly?

• SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I feel like NaDa doesn't stream all that often, but I don't really look too thoroughly. For some reason there just aren't that many streamers that excite me anymore.

god that could be misconstrued

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    :winky:

Thats fairly simple to explain, @Saaruto

back in the day when streaming was new, the only people who streamed were people like TLO, Nony, etc. Decent players but not amazing.

Now, however, you can tune in and chances are that at any given time in a 24hr period there will be at least one or two Code S level Koreans streaming, and probably some good Euro players as well. with such a glut of choice, its hard to differentiate them. I mean, you could tune into the streams of Polt, GanZi, Nada, or any other generic Korean Terran, and not know who you were watching if you didn't look at the name.

if they're generic, virtually every korean is generic

anyway nada streams somewhat regularly but I wouldn't say often.

That's probably pretty accurate. I'll usually tune into a few of the awesome Protosses if it's convenient, but that's about it. I like watching tournies and stuff more just because I get a lot more out of the high level of play.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    I used to think Nada would be the master of perfect strategy and execution, but after watching him play, he just seems to favor one build, and work ridiculously hard on it. Ends up making him fairly easy to "figure out"

I find it hard to pay attention to a stream compared to a tourney game.

I think part of it is I always am foruming/browsing the internet while I watch and unless there's someone casting I don't know when to actually look.

"Creator looks like he's in trouble here!"

completely smashes skit's army with like 50 supply to spare

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    edited May 2012
    yeah he read that dead wrong

edit - this aggression from creator is actually sort of playing into skit's build. not enough to do any damage but it does slow creator down on tech.

Variable on
    Creator...man you really needed some sentries.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    The majority of the NBN rollout should be complete in the next 3 years, Dhal

Then you will be able to make the big esports™ streaming dollars

edited May 2012
    Looks like Skit's build has got Creator on notice, ahead on upgrades, got a third, reactored starport before colossus production. Creator better engage better than he did in game 2.

EDIT: Creator did a nice job on that one I guess, good anti-timing

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    @marty - got a source on that? As you might imagine I'm following the NBNCo news religiously and I haven't heard anything nearly that optimistic.

edited May 2012
    laaaaaaate ghosts

also that's what happens when you go for that mkp style timing but don't attack... too many marines later on. just get roasted.

edit - 1/1 done as forges finish, 3/3 done first for protoss. <3

Variable on
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't think its the majority, but a sizeable amount is supposed to be done in the next 3 years. you can find the map regions on the nbn site

edit: here ya go

http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

PoolCue on
    edited May 2012
    I think Creator is fucking up by not getting storm yet

EDIT: MANNER NEXUS

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    Saaruto wrote: »
    I think Creator is fucking up by not getting storm yet

nah, no need

not close

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Go to the NBN Co website, there are a few different rollout pages and one of them should include pdf's of the plan up to June 2015.

It seems to be getting most of the major population centres by then, including my little hometown, although hilariously not Squid's suburb in Western Sydney (poor bastard)

I know, I am excited too!

This discussion has been closed.