As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamer Tattoo Phoenix Arizona

RokimissRokimiss Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I really want to get a tattoo that is three or four Zelda 3D crystal hearts below my collarbone, but I am having a difficult time finding a tattoo artist in Phoenix Arizona area that is also a gamer, any advice?

Rokimiss on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Find a tattoo artist who isn't a gamer?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    He does not need to be a gamer.

He needs to be a tattoo artist.

Like if it really needs to be a gamer, then that's your choice, but to me I would look at their body of work more than they'd hobbies.

Is there a reason why you think he needs to be a gamer?

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Even if you think a gamer tattoo artist would be able to capture an artistic style more... akin to a game? or something? It doesn't matter. Your tattoo is going to be a couple of hearts. Just find a tattoo artist who does great work.

A great tattoo artist is a great tattoo artist. Unless it's a highly specialized style of art, don't worry about it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Club Tattoo is pretty much the biggest shop in Phoenix. I know a lot of people who've gotten work there and its been pretty well done. Maybe go there and check them out and speak with one of the artists and get feedback from them.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Rokimiss wrote:
    So I really want to get a tattoo that is three or four Zelda 3D crystal hearts below my collarbone, but I am having a difficult time finding a tattoo artist in Phoenix Arizona area that is also a gamer, any advice?

Just go find a good tattoo artist. Playing video games doesn't make a person any better at drawing them.

• Options
    RokimissRokimiss Registered User regular
    Wow. Been smacked into place. Okay. Thanks guys.

• Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    just bring several examples, screenshots whatever to him/her, and explain what it is/about

that said I know a great Tattoo artist who is a hardcore gamer if you can get yourself to Sacramento :P

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Yeah, in fact, a gamer might be worse for this then a non-gamer. A non-gamer will have to listen to what you want and create the tattoo based on what YOU want, not what they think it should look like. Any good tattoo artist should be able to do this.

And of course, never get anything you aren't 100% satisfied with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, what was your thinking behind seeking a tattoo artist that was also a gamer? And if you haven't done so, check out the tattoo threads that pop up every so often- I think mine might be the last one. Lots of good advice.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about him being a gamer. My triforce tattoo was done by someone who barely knew what Zelda was. I was able to give him a picture to work from, and the end result was great.

The better advice for getting a good tattoo is:

* Prepare to spend good money. Good tattoo artists aren't cheap. Plan to be charged hourly, and plan to have good work take some hours. My triforce, even as a relatively simple design, took almost three hours, and was a $275 piece, before tip.
    * Prepare to wait. The best artists tend to be booked months out.
    * If someone wants to get you in RIGHT THEN and wants you to "pick from the book", run. They aren't a real artist, they are a tattoo tracer. A real artist can work freehand, and can do custom work.
    * For the love of god, tip. If you have a great tattoo artist, that can (and should be) a long term relationship, especially if you plan to get more work done. Tip that person, make them feel appreciated. When I needed some touch up done on one of pieces, that my current artist didn't even do, he did the work at a deep discount. I am sure this is because I've tipped him well before and we have a great client/artist relationship.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BioPortBioPort Registered User regular
    Oh! I can help with this.

DO NOT go to Club Tattoo unless you want a dolphin or your baby's name in old english lettering.

Eric Skramstead at Fat Zombie Tattoo is a gamer, and is finishing up a sleeve for me right now. http://www.fatzombietattoo.com/