As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    The Fire Nation is a monarchy. Power is inherited with firstborn sons taking priority. Since bending is partially genetic, that means a lot of the Royal Family will be benders. Nothing says bending is a requirement for the throne. Hell, we don't even know if Lu Ten was a bender or not.

Yeah, actually. The avatar is highly respected, and not just cause she can shoot rocks and fireballs.

What are the Equalists if not a glorified chi-blocking gang?

We have seen no economic imbalance between benders and non-benders. We've seen plenty of rich non-benders and poor benders, and the other way around. We have seen high-ranking military non-benders. Everybody seemed to have worked this stuff out until Amon decided there was a problem.

I believe everybody else has shown that the position of Firelord requires/required being a Firebender.

Quire.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yeah I missed those while I was typing that up

regardless, Amon is still wrong

PNk1Ml4.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well yeah. He's the bad guy.

But there probably is more then a little unfairness regarding Benders and non-benders.

Quire.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    He might be wrong (he's the villain after all!), but he's not entirely wrong. Like any charismatic leader before him he's exploiting an already existing schism to his advantage. There's a fancy word of that in political science (the part that describes how political parties rise and fall). I just can't remember it.

Honestly. I think the more interesting option is if Amon is right. Well intentioned extremists are the best extremists (but still villains). It also makes sense given the context. This is after all the Avatar version of the 1920s, a politically turbulent time (which in the real world featured commies and various fascist groups as the most prominent sources for political unrest).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    If his viewpoint could be shot down by pointing to a bunch of obvious examples (Which you have mainly come up with by saying "Well you can't say for sure that they ARE benders") it's not going to be very interesting.

Apart from the exception that is Sato there really is a lot of Bender Privelege, which is different from oppression.

ImWcN1I.png?3
    SwissLion wrote: »
    If his viewpoint could be shot down by pointing to a bunch of obvious examples (Which you have mainly come up with by saying "Well you can't say for sure that they ARE benders") it's not going to be very interesting.

Apart from the exception that is Sato there really is a lot of Bender Privelege, which is different from oppression.

2/3 of the extant nations in the first series were led by non-benders. There were tons of non-bending characters on equal footing with other benders. The entire Southern Tribe including Sokka with the sole exception of Katara, Northern Chief, Earth King, Yu Yan Archers, Kyoshi Warriors including Suki, Ty Lee, Mai, Li and Lo, Zuko's mom, Piandao, Jet and his gang, Toph's parents, June, Mechanist and his followers, etc. etc.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Amon opinions
    1) He is a bad guy doing a bad thing and he should under no circumstances be a "good" guy

2) He would be more interesting if he is at least a little bit earnest about his speech and isn't just making a play for power

2x39jD4.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Regarding Korra.. In season 2...
    I hope she goes through most, if not all the season without her bending. At all.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Is saying that a lot of cool characters from the last series were non-benders like saying I'm not racist because I have black friends

Or that racism is over because we have a black president

Athenor wrote: »
    Regarding Korra.. In season 2...
    I hope she goes through most, if not all the season without her bending. At all.

I'm not sure why this would be the case because
    I'm almost entirely sure that they already said each season would be it's own contained conflict, so amon and bending removal is gonna be wrapped up by the end of season one

2x39jD4.jpg
    Quoth wrote: »
    Is saying that a lot of cool characters from the last series were non-benders like saying I'm not racist because I have black friends

actually my argument is that bender-ism never existed in the first place

Amon made it up

PNk1Ml4.png

Amon made it up

You're wrong though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular

Amon made it up

But you're basing that on a handful of people out of an entire world population?

At best he made it up the same way we have things like the myth of the welfare queen, or conspiracy theories about secret Muslims/Communists/whatever trying to take over the country

But given the crowd at that rally, a lot of people certainly think there is a problem

It's not unreasonable to think that stratification has intensified in the past decades

I hope an Anti-Amon shows up

fighting for the rights of the oppressed benders

being forced to do dangerous jobs for ass pay for the fat cat non-bender elite

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wants the bending version of the Klan

2x39jD4.jpg
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The lightning bending example is really flawed.

Saying that benders are doing this dirty job for Non-benders (is it ever stated the power stations are owned by non-benders, if you're thinking about Sato all I can find on him says he is all about the cars) proves that that there is no disparity is really silly.

Every job exclusively done by benders, no matter how dangerous or tedious, means an entire profession that non-benders are completely cut off from.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3

Amon made it up

But you're basing that on a handful of people out of an entire world population?

At best he made it up the same way we have things like the myth of the welfare queen, or conspiracy theories about secret Muslims/Communists/whatever trying to take over the country

But given the crowd at that rally, a lot of people certainly think there is a problem

It's not unreasonable to think that stratification has intensified in the past decades

the bolded would be fair if there were stronger examples of "bender privilege" that weren't just inferences

we're still early in Korra so maybe Amon's argument will be supported later on, but so far benders and non-benders seem to get along as well as they did in Avatar, and exist along varied socioeconomic lines just like they did in Avatar

charismatic people have gotten supporters for bad ideas plenty of times in history, so I don't think the crowd alone is a good support for Amon's argument. If he was right, we'd see more non/bender conflict outside of Equalist fights. guys losing their jobs to benders and such. again, might happen later in the series.

PNk1Ml4.png
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    -Tal wants the bending version of the Klan

come to me, ye huddled masses

you see, all of your problems are actually caused by benders

those big-nosed greedy benders

PNk1Ml4.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm thinking there has been a growing inequality between benders and non-benders and it'll be up to the protagonists to show the people of Republic City that there are ways to solve the issue that don't end in violence or the wiping-out of element-bending.

TankHammer on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    As much as I don't want to believe that Amon is doing the same kind of Spirit stuff that we saw in the first series, I did notice something.

Having now watched the entire first series for the fifth time time (and this time within about 15 days) I noticed something in the finale.
    Ozai is literally right next to Aang, conscious, when Aang specifically describes how he learned Spirit-Bending. Aang says allowed how it was taught to him by the Giant Lion Turtle. So really, Ozai should have this information. What he did with it I have no idea, but the fact remains that Aang shared that information with Sokka, Suki, Toph, and Ozai.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kor wrote: »
    As much as I don't want to believe that Amon is doing the same kind of Spirit stuff that we saw in the first series, I did notice something.

Having now watched the entire first series for the fifth time time (and this time within about 15 days) I noticed something in the finale.
    Ozai is literally right next to Aang, conscious, when Aang specifically describes how he learned Spirit-Bending. Aang says allowed how it was taught to him by the Giant Lion Turtle. So really, Ozai should have this information. What he did with it I have no idea, but the fact remains that Aang shared that information with Sokka, Suki, Toph, and Ozai.

So?

Telling people something doesn't mean they'll magically learn how to do it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Those breathing thingies on their face?
    calling it: full of berserk-gas.

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    we have regularly seen benders menacing non-benders

it is a recurring theme on the show

we have very rarely seen the opposite

• KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular

So?

I'm not saying Ozai learned how to do it, but he now knows where to look, and can share that information. Give some idealist a goal and it wouldn't be impossible to find.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

So?

I'm not saying Ozai learned how to do it, but he now knows where to look, and can share that information. Give some idealist a goal and it wouldn't be impossible to find.

It IS impossible to find. The turtle is impossible to track and sentient. I don't think he's teaching anyone anything unless he wants to.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    my guess is the lion turtle spends most of his time, you know

cruising in the spirit world

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also the 100 year long war with the fire nation that resulted in the extinction of one civilization and the near extinction of another would have never happened if bending weren't a thing

Skull Man wrote: »
    cruising in the spirit world

...and Trying to pick up lion-turtle ladies.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    See, this is why I want Korra to basically make a new elected council that actually represents Republic city. Because that would be beating Amon at his own game.

most of these examples are Equalist-related, who menace benders plenty

the only one I can remember that isn't is the Triads hassling that shopkeeper, but that's just good old fashioned gangs abusing the weak and nothing specific to benders
    Also the 100 year long war with the fire nation that resulted in the extinction of one civilization and the near extinction of another would have never happened if bending weren't a thing

it would have happened with swords and cannons instead

PNk1Ml4.png
    it's good old fashioned gangs attacking the weak

with

their bending

the weak

who are weak because they have no bending

Some of them might have bending abilities. Just no combat training.

man it's almost like you're saying that bending is this world's analogue of power and oppression, whether it be in the hands of common thugs or armies

so

you agree?

edited May 2012
    it's good old fashioned gangs attacking the weak

with

their bending

the weak

no, he is weak because he's an old man

Sokka, Mai, Ty Lee have successfully fought against benders despite not being benders because they are not old people who don't know how to fight

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited May 2012
    all of those people were exceptionally trained warriors

ty lee and mai learned their skills at the royal firebending academy for girls, probably not a lot of commoners in there

and sokka spent most of the series at a combat disadvantage until he got a few lessons from the greatest swordfighter in the world

these are not advantages available to common people

it is ridiculous to say that these three outliers invalidate the idea that benders have a huge advantage in combat and use it

Skull Man on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm quite sure the average shop owner doesn't have wrist crossbows, a boomerang, or the ability to block chi

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    man it's almost like you're saying that bending is this world's analogue of power and oppression, whether it be in the hands of common thugs or armies

so

you agree?

it is the conflation of bending and power that is the problem. bending does not automatically give you power

learning to bend takes as much effort as learning any other martial art takes, including chi blocking

which is why stuff like the chi-blocking lessons would be awesome if they weren't explicitly associated with a terrorist organization that wants to eliminate all bending

PNk1Ml4.png
    learning to bend takes as much effort but the return on that effort is much greater

it's like you're saying hey this corporate executive works just as many hours and just as hard as this coal miner

it is not the same

all of those people were exceptionally trained warriors

ty lee and mai learned their skills at the royal firebending academy for girls, probably not a lot of commoners in there

and sokka spent most of the series at a combat disadvantage until he got a few lessons from the greatest swordfighter in the world

these are not advantages available to common people

it is ridiculous to say that these three outliers invalidate the idea that benders have a huge advantage in combat and use it

Sokka had some training from the Kyoshi warriors as well.
    That didn't help much though. Mainly because his adversaries after that tended to be "super bad ass warriors" (like Azulas Angels, Combustion Man etc).

If we're going to demonstrate how weak non-bending is compared to bending. As the Blue Spirit Zuko kicked the ass of about a dozen fire warrior soldiers. Later in Zuko Alone he got his ass kicked by a single earthbending thug until he decided to go all "I am Prince Zuko of the fire nation Fear my wrath! RAAAR!".

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

most of these examples are Equalist-related, who menace benders plenty

the only one I can remember that isn't is the Triads hassling that shopkeeper, but that's just good old fashioned gangs abusing the weak and nothing specific to benders

it would have happened with swords and cannons instead

The only reason the war broke out was because sozin's comet supercharged the firebenders

Ain't no comet that supercharges swords

This discussion has been closed.