As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    There's a prolonged silence between the two after she says it and when Tywin breaks it, he sounds much less bemused than he did when he was asking Arya questions. An implication was made and Tywin didn't much care for it.

I didn't get that at all. I got that he was just impressed by the clarity and practicality of her response.

Oh good, this is the book thread, so I can point out that implication can be interpreted differently by us book readers, that look in Tywin's eye maybe the twinkle of a plan, a plan that comes to fruition as the RW. I did not take that scene to say Arya was threatening Tywin but stating what is plainly evident for her since she headed south; butcher's boy, her dad, her dad's guard, her black cloak protector, her graceful "dance" instructor, and many, many more before Tywin showed up - oh and there goes another, as a man pays his debts. Another example of the truth of her words will be more apparent as the tale of Renly's assassination heads north. If Tywin was aware of "a man", he would have probably try to hire him.

Agreed.

I'm not saying she was threatening him, more that she was sassing him. Still, huge balls to talk to Tywin in that manner.

It would be bizarre for Tywin to interpret her as sassing him, rather than agreeing with him. Tywin clearly did not believe that Robb was an invincible man-wolf. Arya concurs. If she had stuck a sarcastic, "Lorrrd Tywinnnn..." at the end of her statement, then sure, sass that would get her killed. But just plainly stating, "no, I believe anyone can be killed" is not even remotely a threat or a disrespectful response. It's the perfect response for a cup-bearer to give in that situation. I think saying, "yes, he's a hero and you'll never defeat him!" would be a much better example of a wrong answer.

The only thing I find strange about it is that for all his Sherlock Holmes powers, you'd think Tywin would conclude that this girl was obvious very high-born.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think he probably suspects she's educated or at least from a rich family, he knew she was hiding about where she was from.

He just doesn't for a moment suspect that she's Arya Stark

Hoz wrote: »
    It fits perfectly for the show. Plus:
    Tywin's death would put her in jeopardy, as he's the reason she remains alive and untortured. She's not thinking like a child, she's thinking like a human interested in self-preservation. Plus, so far there's no indication that her brother needs any help on the war front.

Tywin's death wouldn't get her anywhere, the Lannisters have a half dozen generals and gobs of money, and Tywin by all accounts seems like the most capable actor of keeping joffrey's lovable sociopathy in check

override367 on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I have a question about the last book. I forget if I am supposed to spoiler this sort of thing, so I'll just be cautious:
    So, if a person of the Night's Watch dies and some how comes back to life (and I don't mean as a wight), do they still have to hold to their vows? Could that person then take a wife, have kids, etc that are expressly forbid by the vows because they fulfilled the till death part?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    She doesn't kill Tywin because Robb has won every single battle against him. She figures big brother's got things under control, and she doesn't have any personal grudge against the guy.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I kind of doubt they have a, but if you die and magically come back to life you're free of your vows clause.

Unless he comes back wrong ala UnCat. But that'll probably be a kill it with fire situation.

Invisible on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have a question about the last book. I forget if I am supposed to spoiler this sort of thing, so I'll just be cautious:
    So, if a person of the Night's Watch dies and some how comes back to life (and I don't mean as a wight), do they still have to hold to their vows? Could that person then take a wife, have kids, etc that are expressly forbid by the vows because they fulfilled the till death part?

This sounds like one of those situations that doesn't exactly have a precedent.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular

Azor Ahai Reborn, perhaps?

Most likely not.

3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    RE: Arya's decisions
    I can't speak for the book, but in the show, I think they'll have Tywin leaving Harrenhal happen at the start of episode 6 and she'll be like "Dangit, I should've picked him first."

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I liked the Arya/Tywin scene a lot. I thought he understood her implication, but also is so far above a watergirl that he doesn't react to implied threats. And he's right not to - he could haul her out and have her killed easily enough, but if I was one of his bannermen, I wouldn't be impressed. I'd see that as a man who's scared of little girls threatening him.

Actually, I think Tywin in the TV show is much more likeable than the books. I mean, he's not nice or anything, but he's less clearly a monster.

TV show changes - spoilered but I'm not sure why:
    It's hard to accept all the changes in the TV show, because each time I feel sad because I'm going to miss the awesome scene that can't happen now. Margaery being canny means probably no Queen of Thorns awesome banter, The Tickler being dead means that fight where Polliver and so on die will be changed or gone, and that was incredibly satisfying.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hm, the next two episode titles
    The Old Gods and the New
    A Man Without Honor

are somewhat vague, though I would guess the latter involves
    Jon killing Qhorin?

But then the last three
    The Prince of Winterfell
    Blackwater
    Valar Morghulis

Are exciting.

From the preview I think the Qhorin thing is next ep

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    RE: Arya's decisions
    I can't speak for the book, but in the show, I think they'll have Tywin leaving Harrenhal happen at the start of episode 6 and she'll be like "Dangit, I should've picked him first."

This would mean we wont get Arya asking if there are any limitations on her targets; which is a great conversation.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    So, next episode is
    the King's Landing riot, right? I can't wait; the Joffrey episodes have always been wonderfully fucked up, and he is going to be incredibly pissed off after this.

• Options
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So, next episode is
    the King's Landing riot, right? I can't wait; the Joffrey episodes have always been wonderfully fucked up, and he is going to be incredibly pissed off after this.

I forgot that was in this book. One can hope that the future Mrs. Bronn will fare better; having not yet been introduced.

• Options
    Joffrey scenes are some of the best in season 2. Sorry, Pete, you're gonna have some stiff competition for that Emmy this year.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Joffrey scenes are some of the best in season 2. Sorry, Pete, you're gonna have some stiff competition for that Emmy this year.

Well, HBO decided not to submit Joffrey for consideration for this year's emmys. He could still submit himself, but that seems unlikely.
    Here are the Thrones submissions:
    * Game of Thrones submitted for Best Drama Series
    * Best supporting actor submissions are Peter Dinklage, Alfie Allen, Kit Harington, Richard Madden
    * Best supporting actress submissions are Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner

• Options
    Fucking Alfie?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    What, Alfie Allen's doing great work as Theon

Just cuz the character's a skeeze doesn't mean he's not being portrayed well

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    He's really bland.

• Options
    I think he's doing a good job

I feel like he'll have some better shining moments in the second half

He played his return to Pyke really well

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Yar wrote: »
    There's a prolonged silence between the two after she says it and when Tywin breaks it, he sounds much less bemused than he did when he was asking Arya questions. An implication was made and Tywin didn't much care for it.

I didn't get that at all. I got that he was just impressed by the clarity and practicality of her response.

Oh good, this is the book thread, so I can point out that implication can be interpreted differently by us book readers, that look in Tywin's eye maybe the twinkle of a plan, a plan that comes to fruition as the RW. I did not take that scene to say Arya was threatening Tywin but stating what is plainly evident for her since she headed south; butcher's boy, her dad, her dad's guard, her black cloak protector, her graceful "dance" instructor, and many, many more before Tywin showed up - oh and there goes another, as a man pays his debts. Another example of the truth of her words will be more apparent as the tale of Renly's assassination heads north. If Tywin was aware of "a man", he would have probably try to hire him.

Agreed.

I'm not saying she was threatening him, more that she was sassing him. Still, huge balls to talk to Tywin in that manner.

It would be bizarre for Tywin to interpret her as sassing him, rather than agreeing with him. Tywin clearly did not believe that Robb was an invincible man-wolf. Arya concurs. If she had stuck a sarcastic, "Lorrrd Tywinnnn..." at the end of her statement, then sure, sass that would get her killed. But just plainly stating, "no, I believe anyone can be killed" is not even remotely a threat or a disrespectful response. It's the perfect response for a cup-bearer to give in that situation. I think saying, "yes, he's a hero and you'll never defeat him!" would be a much better example of a wrong answer.

The only thing I find strange about it is that for all his Sherlock Holmes powers, you'd think Tywin would conclude that this girl was obvious very high-born.

He's amused by it at first but then Arya stares at him for a long time and I think he gets the hint. He knows full well that she's on Rob's side.

• Options
    Yeah there's still half a season to go. Given what happens, we should be treated to some really good scenes.

I mean he's not going to beat Dinklage, neither are the others, but he could still pull out an amazing performance.

• Options
    juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Darian wrote: »

Well, HBO decided not to submit Joffrey for consideration for this year's emmys. He could still submit himself, but that seems unlikely.
    * Best supporting actor submissions are Peter Dinklage, Alfie Allen, Kit Harington, Richard Madden
    * Best supporting actress submissions are Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner

Peter Dinklage is first billed now. If he's not eligible for Best Actor, who the hell is?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    There's weird rules about what they can be nominated for. From what I remember it's based on contract, billing, and other random things. Like the entire cast of Modern Family can only be nominated for "Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series" and not "Best Actor in a Comedy Series." I assume it's a similar situation with A Game of Thrones, were they're all billed/contracted as supporting or some sort of legal mumbo-jumbo.

Invisible on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    juggerbot wrote: »
    Darian wrote: »

Peter Dinklage is first billed now. If he's not eligible for Best Actor, who the hell is?

Nobody. Definitions of leads is weird.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, interesting choice for the list. I'd have put Joffrey or Varys before Theon, Jon, or Robb, honestly.

• Options
    Also, the actor for Jon is pretty terrible. He can do exactly one facial expression, a sort of weird puppy eye thing that he uses for every emotion.

• Options
    Also, the actor for Jon is pretty terrible. He can do exactly one facial expression, a sort of weird puppy eye thing that he uses for every emotion.

I don't mind it I guess

• Options
    I'd have to see his actor in something else to decide if he can really act can or not. Jon himself is kinda derpy, so he seems to fit the character rather perfectly.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    One facial expression for everything is a disingenuous thing to say or those scenes between him and Tyrion or him and Sam or him and Arya or ... would have been very different than they are. The stuff we know about from the books is coming soon enough, then you get to see him happy ever so briefly again, among other emotions. "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Peter Dinklage probably gets more screentime than anyone else, but still not enough to be a lead. Sean Bean was probably the last and only lead the show will ever have. I can't see anyone ever beating Dinklage for supporting as long as the show is in production, though. I'd also like to see Lena Headey win, or maybe even Maise Williams.

Also, I wonder if the Blackwater episode will only be the battle, cutting between Tyrion/Davos/Cersei the entire time. That would be pretty thrilling.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    The only Cersei bits I remember from the Blackwater involve Cersei getting drunk and terrorizing Sansa. I really want those to stay in, as TV Cersei has been entirely too likable.

• Options
    supposedly the battle is the vast majority of the episode

Of course how much is like, THE battle, and how much is ABOUT the battle... we'll find out.

And then it'll be another year of nerdrage that they dared to change the battle from the books

• Options
    So, who was the guy Tywin told to get the hell back to Lannisport?

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't find Jon too compelling in the show either, and he was one of my favorites in the books. I don't hate him or even dislike him, but he's not the Jon I had in my head. At this point in the books, he was my third or fourth favorite character. In the show, he's barely in my top ten. Without his inner monologue, a lot of the minor characters greatly outshine him.

In the books I felt more of a similarity and kindred spirits thing between him and Arya... that they both had sort of a "I'm barely tolerating the way your culture treats me, but there is more to me than you can see" vibe. She's still got that, but he doesn't. His vibe is more "I'm Jon Snow and why is nothing ever fair?"

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular

Random made up cousin Lannister?

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Domhnall wrote: »

Random made up cousin Lannister?

Oh okay, I thought maybe he was somebody.

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I liked the Arya/Tywin scene a lot. I thought he understood her implication, but also is so far above a watergirl that he doesn't react to implied threats. And he's right not to - he could haul her out and have her killed easily enough, but if I was one of his bannermen, I wouldn't be impressed. I'd see that as a man who's scared of little girls threatening him.

Actually, I think Tywin in the TV show is much more likeable than the books. I mean, he's not nice or anything, but he's less clearly a monster.

It's hard to accept all the changes in the TV show, because each time I feel sad because I'm going to miss the awesome scene that can't happen now. Margaery being canny means probably no Queen of Thorns awesome banter, The Tickler being dead means that fight where Polliver and so on die will be changed or gone, and that was incredibly satisfying.

I'm pretty sure you would never survive as a lord if your cupbearer is from enemy territory and threatens you and you ignore it. I don't think her statement makes any sense as a threat, except in the audience's imagination. Tywin would assume she meant exactly what she said; no he isn't invincible, he can be killed like anyone else.

Knowing what we know about Tywin, if he thought for one second that she might be threatening him, his natural response would be to have someone kill her asap. It makes absolutely no sense for him to take it as a threat and then be "scared" or "too proud to react."

As for Actor/Supporting Actor, I don't think there are any particular rules. I know in film sometimes the nominee for Supporting Actor in a film was actually on screen more than the nominee for Actor.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also, ESPECIALLY with this coming year, you don't want anyone in the Best Actor category because they are going to lose.

Series Finale. Breaking Bad.

It's like a Cranston double-buzzsaw.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Yar wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you would never survive as a lord if your cupbearer is from enemy territory and threatens you and you ignore it. I don't think her statement makes any sense as a threat, except in the audience's imagination. Tywin would assume she meant exactly what she said; no he isn't invincible, he can be killed like anyone else.

Knowing what we know about Tywin, if he thought for one second that she might be threatening him, his natural response would be to have someone kill her asap. It makes absolutely no sense for him to take it as a threat and then be "scared" or "too proud to react."

As for Actor/Supporting Actor, I don't think there are any particular rules. I know in film sometimes the nominee for Supporting Actor in a film was actually on screen more than the nominee for Actor.

Your idea of sense or humanity has never matched mine.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Arya storyline thoughts (book spoilers all the way through)
    I wouldn't be surprised at this point if we just get a drastically cut Arya storyline, I'd like to see it get to where she gets her three wishes, she escapes Harrenhall and just heads right over to Braavos with her coin to begin her apprenticeship with the assassins guild. I don't know how important all her misadventures with Beric Dondarrion and the Hound are to the overall story, even her showing up at the RW isn't really necessary other than to show the reader the aftermath a bit. There's way more they can do with that character in Essos as the actress gets older.