As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek Online] Hop on my deck. Now Free to Play!

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ArcmMdWCMAAqDUH.jpg:large

new Romulan or reman? (could just be wearing reman shields) ship coming

Confirmed by a dev not to be Cruiser, looks like a highly modded D'deridex ship.

probably the next lockbox ship in june.

The devs have mentioned a few times about a romulan version of the Borg invasions in the works. Maybe it'll be related.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    wait does that mean the contents of a box aren't bound to the opener? why would people spend points on a box then instead of just getting the ship on the exchange? especially after the devs bought all of those boxes off the exchange. that put a lot of money into people's hands to just buy the ship

initiatefailure on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    what?

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    wait does that mean the contents of a box aren't bound to the opener? why would people spend points on a box then instead of just getting the ship on the exchange? especially after the devs bought all of those boxes off the exchange. that put a lot of money into people's hands to just buy the ship

The contents have never been bound to the opener. People spend CP on keys because they don't have the hundred-million EC to buy the ship off the exchange. In the future you'll probably be forced into buying keys, since the big spenders will run out of things to spend Dilithium on (thus depleting the exchange of "free" CP), and far fewer players will be buying keys in general (thus reducing the ships available on the exchange).

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Been playing on and off lately. Managed to get the "Doctor" title for my Science Capt.

FINALLY!!!

I am happy now.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    What the hell, the commendation XP bonus isn't working for me.
    Is anyone else not getting double points with the buff on?

steam_sig.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    MNeBk.jpg

Because even holograms and big lizards need a good drink now and then.

What the hell, the commendation XP bonus isn't working for me.
    Is anyone else not getting double points with the buff on?

works for me. also I thought it was 50% extra points

and I critically failed that romulan ale mission. apparently everyone was allergic

tf2sig.jpg
  • shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    So I haven't logged in for 2 weeks but now my Cryptic login doesn't work. I tried to do a password reset and it tells me it sent me an email but there's no email. Has anyone else experienced this?

Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Ah, I guess I got confused by the lack of an indication that the assignment bonus was actually increased.
    Thought there'd be a "Bonus XP"notification each time I completed a mission.

steam_sig.png
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    shanis wrote: »
    So I haven't logged in for 2 weeks but now my Cryptic login doesn't work. I tried to do a password reset and it tells me it sent me an email but there's no email. Has anyone else experienced this?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=268025

steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I hit level 50 last night. Yay!

You may now resume whatever you were doing prior to reading this.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3122

The Cat Carrier is a reality.

Oh man, I want to go to the official forums and drink their delicious, Klingon tears.

Edit:
    "I've deleted all my characters.

I spent 58 days and 8 hours over the last two years playing this game. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

Invisible on
    That thing is really badass looking, even if it is piloted by furries.

ECOED.jpg
    Yes, I got a ship to aim my Sci-Officer towards. :)

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

(using a rate of 305 dill per cp)

Cost:
    120,000 dill
    394 C-store

Vo'quv

Hull: 42,000 hp
    Crew: 4,000
    shield: 1.0
    weapons: 3/3
    Hangers: 2
    consoles: 2/3/4
    Turn rate: 5
    Impulse mod: 0.15

Bridge off: 1 Lt Cmdr Tac
    1 Lt Cmdr Eng
    1 Lt Cmdr Sci
    1 Lt Sci

Special: Can use DHC etc
    + 10 aux

Versus

Cost:
    610,000 dill
    2,000 C-store

Atrox

Hull: 40,500 hp
    Crew: 3,000
    Shield: 1.2
    Weapons: 3/3
    Hangers: 2
    Consoles: 2/3/4
    Turn rate: 5
    impulse mod: 0.15

Bridge off: 1 Lt Tac
    1 Lt Cmdr Eng
    1 Lt Cmdr Sci
    1 Cmdr Sci

Special: +5 shield
    +10 aux

Do the math
    While the Caitian carrier does get a higher ranked Cmdr for sci, I still have to say the Vo'quv get's the nod for Bo layout
    and a 1.2 shield mod is great, but is it 1000 less crew and 1500 hull hp great?

In short, 2,000 cryptic points and nothing really special other then looks.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
    I think part of it is that CBS wants stuff you don't see in the shows, like federation captains flying ferengi ships, relatively rare as to not skew peoples idea of canon or whatever. so they make it rare by either charging obscene amounts of cash or making it a .03% drop rate

tf2sig.jpg
    is that really the dkora drop rate? because when I play it's a fairly constant stream of "x has been issued a dkora." maybe they're all just rich people buying them on the exchange or there are just enough people constantly buying keys and opening boxes to make it appear that common.

I wonder how many people here besides me are excited over the new ship. It seems like other forums (like STO.com's) are raising the 'Cryptic sold us out' flags again over it.

is that really the dkora drop rate? because when I play it's a fairly constant stream of "x has been issued a dkora." maybe they're all just rich people buying them on the exchange or there are just enough people constantly buying keys and opening boxes to make it appear that common.

no one actually knows the drop rate. its probably more like 1% or something. its like a lottery that doesn't give you the odds

tf2sig.jpg
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I wonder how many people here besides me are excited over the new ship. It seems like other forums (like STO.com's) are raising the 'Cryptic sold us out' flags again over it.

The forums called the Romulan ship being a lockbox ship months ago. Once Cryptic started saying they'd like to put the Romulan faction in, but couldn't do it right now, but had ways to make them "playable", heads perked up after the lockbox fiasco(s).

On the issue of the new Catian carrier, the forums are filled with whining powergamers that don't want the KDF to lose their insanely overpowered carrier ships. So I bet you can guess how those topics turn out. For maximum enjoyment of their double standards, look up folks like Roach's posts. Dude epitomizes the "fuck you, got mine, I want yours too" mentality of a bunch of the current KDF forum posters.

Edit: To be clear, there is a topic every week demanding that KDF not lose their carriers or people will sabotage the game/give it bad PR (Like Cryptic needs help.)/drive people off of it/mindlessly bitch about it. Many of these posters blithely ignore or try to excuse the fact that the KDF got the Fed exclusive sci ships a long time ago.

There's a core of posters like Roach that are in each of these threads whining about "Fed entitlement" and basically justifying developers like Gozer's loathing of the community. They tend to fuel the bitching, and having read their posts every now and then, I find that I can't truly decipher if they're just trying to delude themselves or trying to play the PR card on Cryptic in hopes of getting a bunch of overpowered stuff handed to them for PVP.

Archonex on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

I'm excited about it. I've wanted to try a carrier for a long time, but can't stand playing Klingon side. I don't know if it's the "Everything is red, forever" or the annoying computer voice, or the first 2 hours (or so) consisting of you running around the city talking to damn near everyone.
    Damn you Cryptic, this might make me buy some c-points.

As for the official forums, the day an announcement is made and the official forums are unanimously happy about it, I will quit the game, cut my left foot off and eat it raw for dinner.
    Or I'll go on the forum and bitch about it so I can keep my foot. Cause I'm kind of attached to my foot.

edited May 2012
    see317 wrote: »

I'm excited about it. I've wanted to try a carrier for a long time, but can't stand playing Klingon side. I don't know if it's the "Everything is red, forever" or the annoying computer voice, or the first 2 hours (or so) consisting of you running around the city talking to damn near everyone.
    Damn you Cryptic, this might make me buy some c-points.

As for the official forums, the day an announcement is made and the official forums are unanimously happy about it, I will quit the game, cut my left foot off and eat it raw for dinner.
    Or I'll go on the forum and bitch about it so I can keep my foot. Cause I'm kind of attached to my foot.

Annoying computer voice? What are you talking abou-

CONGRATULATIONS----COMMANDER.

Dude sounds so angry when he says it, like he was hoping you'd go out in a blaze of glory prior to every level.

Edit: On carriers, carriers are basically science ships that are better in every way then the science ships the Federation has. They not only are beefy as all hell, meaning they can tank with the right setup, but they have an offensive complement of ships (To'Duj swarms are insane. Each fighter can fire off a photon torpedo or more per run and has cannons. You can field about a dozen or so fo them. Which means all you have to do is take down the facing they're on an initial attack run for to cripple most ships.) that is quite frightening to field in PVE and with the right PVP build.

Add onto that that a smart tactical captain can turn a Vo'Quv into a frightening boat that can apply turret/weapon proc debuffs in large quantities, and the nature of Tetryon turrets, and you have the literal equivalent of a Battlestar style ship that can also perform science ship duties. Basically, a ship that can output frightening amounts of firepower and flak (Only on scale with actual ship to ship engagements instead of anti fighter flak. Though it disintegrates small craft all the better for it.), can tank while doing that, and can apply sci debuffs just to top everything off, too.

Compare that to science ships, which, at their best (Sci Ody), can tank and do science ship/repair duties. A Fed sci ship may lock something down, but they aren't going to be killing anything given the power requirements it takes. Not so much for a carrier, which can drop a viral matrix, a gravity well, fire up the rapid fire on their tetryon turret's, then go AFK while their fighter-bombers decide to rip the ship apart on the downed facing.

This is why the smarter/scummier KDF players don't want the Feds to have them. A well played science ship is shit compared to a well played carrier. Carriers do all the jobs a science ship can and so, so, much more. It makes them an utter bitch to fight in coordinated groups in PVP, too. You need multiple people firing off FaW at once to deal with a coordinated carrier swarm in space PVP matches. Otherwise you get zerged and destroyed in a matter of seconds.

Archonex on
  • ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    You guys down to play with a power noob? Never tried STO but figured I might as well now since it's free and it seems as if the cash shop didn't ruin anything. After playing some SWTOR I'm still really wanting to play a space mmo but would rather not pay to play. This seems like it may be the best of both worlds between SWTOR and EVE. I liked having my ship and crew in SWTOR but also liked EvE's space game.

camo_sig2.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Hmmm...

Kind of want that carrier, but I really like my Intrepid R, and my Nebula. Plus, my Intrepid fits with my character better.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited May 2012
    Just checked my carrier out a bit more closely and it even has the sci ship debuff powers. So I don't even know what the fuck a Federation science ship's mirror role is supposed to be compared to the rolling rapetrain that is the Vo'Quv and Kar'Fi carriers. This game is so unbalanced in some areas.

On the other hand, now that Fed's have a carrier hopefully we'll see more of them show up in STF's. Having a carrier on your team makes for an amazingly easy time blowing the living hell out of cubes. Makes Cure Elite Space a cakewalk, too. Since you can roll into range with a turret carrier, send all guns blazing with an alpha strike, pop resistances for shield buffs, pop your shield buffs, then haul ass out of range and let your fighter swarm obliterate the nanites as you wait for cooldowns.

Seriously, turret carriers are basically the best thing ever. If these things were in the TV series every encounter would have ended in five seconds. I'm some sort of hideously powerful command/battle ship that can take shots from cubes and spheres.

Archonex on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    You guys down to play with a power noob? Never tried STO but figured I might as well now since it's free and it seems as if the cash shop didn't ruin anything. After playing some SWTOR I'm still really wanting to play a space mmo but would rather not pay to play. This seems like it may be the best of both worlds between SWTOR and EVE. I liked having my ship and crew in SWTOR but also liked EvE's space game.
    Just join the global channel and we'll help as only we can.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Oh man, cat carrier. I am buying one of these. I'm kind of surprised that CBS didn't drop the zomg-canon hammer on it, but whatever. Anything that's available for a straight purchase instead of a lottery is a plus in my book. Also, I don't know the exact drop rate on the D'Kora, but IIRC some folks ran some tests on the test server and discovered that the Galor drop rate was about 0.5%. Which, given the jackpot rates in PW's other lottery schemes, sounds about right.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    EC, CP, dil, buff, debuff, drop box, lock box... Is there a handy universal translator for all this alien talk?
    And I'm a little disappointed. i picked my race as saurian, without going thru all of them. I thought I'd look like a reptile, whereas I look more like a burn ward patient.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Oh man, cat carrier. I am buying one of these. I'm kind of surprised that CBS didn't drop the zomg-canon hammer on it, but whatever. Anything that's available for a straight purchase instead of a lottery is a plus in my book. Also, I don't know the exact drop rate on the D'Kora, but IIRC some folks ran some tests on the test server and discovered that the Galor drop rate was about 0.5%. Which, given the jackpot rates in PW's other lottery schemes, sounds about right.

Wow. I opened a single gold crate with a key I got from the exchange and got one my first try. I guess I just got really really lucky.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Also, I purchased a couple of keys last night and opened a couple of lock boxes and got some little things. Is there any chance I could get something good out of them?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited May 2012
    EC, CP, dil, buff, debuff, drop box, lock box... Is there a handy universal translator for all this alien talk?
    And I'm a little disappointed. i picked my race as saurian, without going thru all of them. I thought I'd look like a reptile, whereas I look more like a burn ward patient.

EC = Energy Credits. This is the fully in-game currency which you get from completing any mission or selling stuff to vendors (or to other people on the auction house/AH).

CP = Cryptic Points. Cash shop monies, used in the Cryptic Store to buy stuff or to trade for Dilithium via the Dilithium Exchange.

Dil = Dilithium. It's used in the dilithium store to buy gear, and can be traded on the Dil Exchange for CP. You get Dil Ore by completing certain special missions; you can refine 8000 Ore into spendable/Exchangeable Dilithium each day. If you have any refining capacity left over at midnight it will automatically be used to refine any ore you have, so you don't have to worry about hitting the button to get the most out of it.

Buff: Any effect which makes your abilities stronger somehow. For example, hitting Cannon Rapid Fire will make your cannons shoot faster for a little while, and counts as a "buff".

Dropbox/Lockbox: I believe these are used interchangeably by some people, but the official term is Lockbox. If you've played the game for more than 30 seconds, you've probably seen one. They look like cube-shaped floating crates, and they appear very often when you kill things. If you buy a Master Key from the Cryptic Store (or off the AH), you can open one for an opportunity at goodies. You'll always get something out of them, but generally speaking (in my opinion) your chances of getting the "good" prizes are too low to make it worthwhile. The off-faction ships (Jem'Hadar, Cardassian, Ferengi, so far) only show up by opening a box, though the resulting ship token can be sold on the AH. Green/normal boxes have a lower chance of the good stuff than the gold boxes. Cryptic pulled some seriously shady stuff on the latest (Ferengi) boxes by posting the wrong contents for the Gold Box, and then changing the FAQ when people called them on it instead of making the box drop what they originally said it would. Also they didn't compensate the people who opened boxes before the FAQ got changed. I could write an entire essay on why the entire system is bullshit, but I have other things to do today.

As for Saurians? You might just have to play with the character creator sliders a bit. You can make them look pretty awesome with the right settings.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    Saurians are such a sad excuse for lizard people next to the awesomeness of gorn.

ECOED.jpg
    If I had known i could be a Gorn, I woulda been a Gorn. i still have my 12" figure that was released in the 90's of the Gorn Captain from Arena, still in his box. Although I'd really love to stand him up.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Sadly gorn are klingon side only. You can make one once you hit 20 iirc.

ECOED.jpg
    Eh. I picked this guy and I'm going to make him the best Saurian I can. I rather like my Miranda class ship. After I changed the look from that god-awful future version.

I've seen cat people running around too. Is that a playable character race? Can I play as a kilrathi?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Cat people are c-store only, though I can't remember just how much they cost atm.

Also, things get get way better once you move out of the Miranda, so things will only get more fun there.

ECOED.jpg
    Those are Caitians, the ones who designed the awesome Fed carrier mentioned earlier. But yeah, they're basically less-xenophobic Kilrathi. You can unlock them as playable characters in the cryptic store.

So they're the cat people from the Animated Series. Got it. Somehow I ended up with two Andorians for bridge crew or whatever they are called.

And is there a way to center the view on my ship so I can see which direction I'm going?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited May 2012
    i thought the miranda defaulted to the classic version but there where two other ships you could swap looks with?

and yes... but you have to buy them in the c-store.

my captain is a joined trill which i didn't realize was an unusual class till i saw that it was part of having a deluxe edition key (thanks $2 steam sale before it went f2p!)

initiatefailure on
This discussion has been closed.