As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    I can't think of a single downside to getting experience points from playing conquest

I can: people will do it instead of getting out into WvW to PvP, since they can level up without any disadvantage, and then we'll have Warhammer scenarios killing oRvR all over again.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    Croaker wrote: »
    The positive feedback loop in here is astonishing. I sincerely hope that more legitimate criticism is getting through to ANet, because my overwhelming impression of the BWE was that this is a game with a lot of work yet left undone.

I don't think anybody here is disputing that - we're all pretty sure the game is several months out from release, and the devs themselves have said that the feedback from these events will determine the release date. I don't know if you've seen the forums, but the devs are extremely active on it, engaging critics and asking questions about specifics, sharing insight and letting us know what's being worked on and what didn't make the cut for this beta but is still in progress.

This was not purely a marketing beta; it was a real, work-in-progress, genuinely soliciting feedback beta.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    People were going to go nuts over the game anyway, many of us have been waiting years for it after all. Simple fact of the matter is people in this thread I would assume all knew this was a real beta, and not just some bullshit marketing thing. There's nothing wrong with gushing about the game, and people gushing over the game together since as it stands it has a very solid foundation.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I found the norn jumping puzzle and got fucked up by an equal level mob half way through it.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    I found the norn jumping puzzle and got fucked up by an equal level mob half way through it.

I nearly bought it a couple of times in the cave. Had to actually jump back onto the platforms to give myself time to heal up. The last set of oozes (which you can see in my screenshot), I tried killing them individually, but the respawn rate was so fast that by the time I got halfway through the smaller oozes, the first few started respawning.

In the end I said screw it, just put on a couple of defensive moves, summoned a spirit sword to hold aggro and ran in to grab the chest contents.

steam_sig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I am REALLY sad I am not playing this game right now.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dodosaur wrote: »
    I played a bit of the beta, and I have to say I'd probably prefer the original Guild Wars. They removed customizable skills, purely PvP characters, and the group vs. group fighting that made Guild Wars special. I mean, scaling is great and all, and in the beta there was almost always someone around to do events with, but in the few instances there wasn't the game didn't feel right at all.

Customizable skillbar removal was the biggest blow to me. Even with weapon switching and switching between utility skills, everything got very stale very fast, except for Engineer, Elementalist, and Necromancer. Engineers get their kits and Elementalists get four elements, and then they get their Lightning Hammer (rock on!) and then a Fiery Greatsword, so they have a huge amount of skills available at any time. Necromancer skills, even their utility ones, are so varied that I doubt it'll get boring quickly.

As for PvP, it kind of sucks going into PvP without having your weapons, armor, and traits scale up with you. I'd have preferred the original Guild War's ability to create a character just for PvP and use PvP rewards to obtain better weapons, armor, and skills. Of course, like in the original Guild Wars, I'd still want there to be PvE characters participating in PvP, with the addition of more customizable weapons and armor since they have to spend time in PvE getting it, but with PvP characters people won't have to get the highest tier armor and weapons to be as effective as their higher-level counterparts.

this stuff was all in the beta, WvW and PvP are two separate things
    your pve character becomes a level 80 PvP character when you enter the PvP outpost, they know every skill and have access to every piece of equipment

And they lose all of that as soon as you go anywhere but wuvwuv from what I saw. If you went into the borderlands, it was you, leveled to 80, but with all of your PvE equipment. Which meant gaining all of the PvE problems (armor breaking repairs and unleveled armor and weapons) with only some of the PvP advantages (higher level).

Also, I was a bit disappointed in something. The tutorial for basic GW2 combat that I've been talking about, and that at least a dozen people have independently pointed out on the official forums is needed, actually exists in the Mists along with some PvP specific tutorials. The basics are all there though, how to dodge, practice fights, ect.

Edit: So, yeah, it appears I'm a bit confused on the PvP options, the only thing I got to experience all weekend was borderlands fighting, due to WvWvW having an infinite wait time to it when I tried to go in, so I've just been talking about the borderlands experience, not knowing if there's actually a 1v1 pvp.
    Arthil wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »
    I can't think of a single downside to getting experience points from playing conquest

I can.

You arnt getting the gear to go along with your level.

if you are getting exp you gotta get loot. If you get loot, the objectives of pvp change from 'team' to 'me.

Most PvE loot isn't very impressive, especially compared to equivalent crafting made gear. A slight monetary gain would make up for any non-loots

Someone else said this, may have been you, but it's wrong. Gear from crafting, from drops, and depending from vendors are on equal footing. The DIFFERENCE is that you can choose specifically what stats you want on the crafted item, and that's about it.

I figure you can make Mastercrafted(it's the Green quality stuff so not crafting exclusive) gear and even Gold quality gear with crafting too, just like once you're into the teens you start getting green drops/being able to purchase sweet green lewt from karma vendors.

Also did anyone else notice some karma vendors had an entire SET of recipes? I saw this in Diessa Plateau, the charr 15-25 zone. One had a full recipe set for Blood Legion armor, another for Ash Legion armor.

Gonna get on that next time :3... wonder if a non-charr can wear them...
    The most basic armor recipes that I had as soon as I got either tailoring or leatherworking had defense stats 2-3x that of my level items (15) of the same type and grade (several times the crafting stuff was of lesser grade) with a required level of 5. They had larger stat bonuses as well but not as dramatic as the defense bonus.

Dedwrekka on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Basically they need a separate wvw lobby where you can pick a map to go in and mess with your pve equipment instead of pvp.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Also, I was a bit disappointed in something. The tutorial for basic GW2 combat that I've been talking about, and that at least a dozen people have independently pointed out on the official forums is needed, actually exists in the Mists along with some PvP specific tutorials. The basics are all there though, how to dodge, practice fights, ect.

I ran across that too. They should find some way to incorporate that for more PvE centric players so they don't feel completely lost.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    Uh. "Borderlands fighting" IS the WvWvW. It's exactly the same. WvWvW is just separated into 4 zones because otherwise there would be way too many players and because one zone would be too small.
    There are two PvP modes: WvWvW and Structured PvP. That's it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    Boogdud wrote: »
    I really enjoyed my time in the beta this week. The one thing that bugged me all weekend though, was the bad optimization. I fully understand the fact that the engine is unoptimized and it was nearly 100% cpu bound. But the performance in general bothered me very much. Just this morning I realized what bugged me about it. I heard the exact same thing during mid/later beta waves of Warhammer. The entire beta 90% of the people were in the "it'll be better at launch, it's unoptimized right now!" camp. Until release, then a month, then two months after release and the game performed nearly the same in high pop pvp/pve situations. It completely ruined the game for me.

So I'm left wondering if large scale pvp and open world pve are even possible. I mean, I want to believe...

Granted, if I have faith in any team it's arenanet.

I just want to chime in and say I had zero performance issues and was kind of baffled by how many people are bringing this up.
    I was in WvWvW most of my time and in zerg fests that must have involved at least 100+ people on the screen at once and performance was great.
    The only time I noted some slight sluggishness (maybe 30fps-ish) was on Sunday when all three servers were attacking the middle keep at once and we were sandwiched between both factions in a stairwell leading up to the second level and there was shit everywhere. The screen was literally full of people, particles effects, explosions, death and destruction.

My specs:
    i5-2500k
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia 560Ti.

Might be related.

i5-2500k is pretty much the best gaming processer out there, except maybe for the new extreme edition i7's. :)

I only bring it up because I've seen people mention that they run 'beast machines' and were having performance problems.
    So I'm calling them out on their bull ;P

It's not necessarily bull. System configurations are highly complex and small differences can have a noticeable impact on performance in an unoptimized game. Maybe some people complain because they want a higher FPS while others are satisfied with the FPS they have but it's absolutely possible someone with a "high end" rig can experience issues.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My household was a good example of how CPU-bound the game is right now. I have a quad core Athlon II and only experienced framerate issues once or twice when there was a truly ridiculous number of people fighting in the same area. Otherwise it was silky smooth. My husband has a comparable graphic card and amount of RAM, but his CPU is a couple years older than mine. The game was unplayable for him on Friday, and was playable but noticably laggier than mine after the reboot.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    I'm hoping Arena.net releases some numbers about how many players participated in the BWE, how many bug reports they received, or funny numbers like how many cumulative levels were gained over the weekend, etc.

The software engineer in me wants to be a fly on the wall where they discuss everything they've learned from this past BWE.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I have concerns for the game but it seems all of them are getting addressed by the team at this point so I see no need to be worried.

All I know is that any frothing excitement I am having is coming from how good of a time I had over the weekend. I'm not sure if that's white knighting or what but it's my honest assessment of my current state in regards to the game.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Mazlo wrote: »
    I'm hoping Arena.net releases some numbers about how many players participated in the BWE, how many bug reports they received, or funny numbers like how many cumulative levels were gained over the weekend, etc.

The software engineer in me wants to be a fly on the wall where they discuss everything they've learned from this past BWE.

How many Charr characters had bad puns for names....

One other thing I'd like to see them add is heart quests/events in Cities, particularly non combat ones. The cities are simply too large/interesting not to incorporate the systems in, and it would be a nice change of pace to be in the city and have some simple things you can do for fun - Something like hunt down cats on rooftops an the like. Though I wouldn't be opposed to a big boss battle event in the cities now and again =)

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I just want to be able to duel my friends. Also the optimization.

Kadoken wrote: »

Someone had said duelling was in the cards in the previous GW2 thread.
    Optimization I'm fairly bullish on for GW2, moreso than other MMOs, simply because it's ANet's engine (grown out of the GW1 engine) rather than a 3rd party.

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular

I tried making a post on their official forums asking them if they planned on doing a statistics thing, like the one we got from the Press Beta where you could check a couple things. Things like, number of males playing female/male characters vs number of females playing female/male characters. Also the percentages of what classes made it to a certain level would be nice. And what I REALLY want, the average number of kills in structured PvP sorted by class vs average number of deaths in structured PvP sorted by class. Just so I can be like "Yea, Necromancers really are stupid good in sPvP!"

Kadoken wrote: »

You can go into an empty server with just the two of you as a workaround.
    And they said dueling will be implemented.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I want 6789 to be shift+6-9!

I seriously had a blast with the beta. Elementalist is so versatile and so much fun in WvWvW.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Next BWE im hoping to do more WvWvW with less following the big zerg group. Im hoping more to get at least 10 PA'ers and run our own raiding party and hit objectives that the zerg isnt.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    So I've been thinking about GW2. A lot. Dreaming about it really. Gushing incoming.

One thing, that I'm not sure has been brought up, is how fantastically great the zones are designed. Most of my time was in the human zones, so I don't know if it translates to the other racial zones, but I cannot count the number of times I was running around and just stumbled onto some unique little spot, tucked away far in a corner, with no Heart or event in sight. Little gardens and shrines in Divinity reach, a canyon path through the mountains filled with Ettin, just these tiny little touches. Also, a special shout out for the 15-25 zone. So many MMO zones feel so... artificial. Like "Oh, this is the swamp zone/snow zone/volcano zone" etc, but that 15-25 zone had EVERYTHING and it felt so "right". Swamps, lakes, seaside villages, mountain streams, centaur camps, they all felt like they belonged but also gave the feeling of "I wonder what's over this hill/around this bend".

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »

How many Charr characters had bad puns for names....

One other thing I'd like to see them add is heart quests/events in Cities, particularly non combat ones. The cities are simply too large/interesting not to incorporate the systems in, and it would be a nice change of pace to be in the city and have some simple things you can do for fun - Something like hunt down cats on rooftops an the like. Though I wouldn't be opposed to a big boss battle event in the cities now and again =)

There are supposed to be minigames in all the cities, unless they've decided to put those out post-launch. Hence the carnival space in Divinity's Reach (did you see the target range?) and the Beergarden in Hoelbrak. You can see the beginnings of the bar fight minigame in the pub-style spaces.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There are supposed to be minigames in all the cities, unless they've decided to put those out post-launch. Hence the carnival space in Divinity's Reach (did you see the target range?) and the Beergarden in Hoelbrak. You can see the beginnings of the bar fight minigame in the pub-style spaces.

The whole kit system can let them do interesting things with this.

• Gustavo MGustavo M Registered User regular
    Next BWE im hoping to do more WvWvW with less following the big zerg group. Im hoping more to get at least 10 PA'ers and run our own raiding party and hit objectives that the zerg isnt.

I think that zerg isn't a "mindless" tactic or something that diminishes gameplay In a way or another. When It done right, It can change tides of the battle really fast.

But I, for one, prefer tactics that requires time, patience and a bit of thought. Even If the Rambo/Leeroy inside me tells to do otherwise.

Only saw parts of Divinity's Reach, with only a little time to play I focused on PvP/PvE (probably 0 PvE next BWE). I've heard about seasonal events, but nothing about permanent dynamic events like you would get out in the game world (hearts/'event nearby!').

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I'm tired of the term "zerg". It's just a way for people to justify getting all pissy because the other side has more people than them.

The entire idea behind Wuwuv is to get a massive number of people fighting each other...yet, people bitch and moan when that happens.

Guys....Massively. Multiplayer. Get it?

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'd say wuvwuv is just as much, if not more so about being able to deny resources honestly.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    F87 wrote: »

I seriously had a blast with the beta. Elementalist is so versatile and so much fun in WvWvW.

bind 6 to C, bind 789 to QER and change SD to strafe instead of turn.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I'd say wuvwuv is just as much, if not more so about being able to deny resources honestly.

I can agree with this. The only way we managed to get BM Keep was to try and keep pressure on their door/walls while cutting off supplies so they could no longer repair/build anything.

It also helped that Green was working on the other door.

I fully intend to spend a lot of time defending and taking out supply caravans.

Klyka wrote: »

I'm definitely going to have to screw around with my bindings more. Did modifier binding work this last BWE? Shift+key didn't seem to. I use ESDF for movement so I'll probably have a fun cluster going on. 1 is a little inconvenient for auto/primary attack as a result oddly enough, going to have to figure out what works best.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    sidhaethe wrote: »

I can: people will do it instead of getting out into WvW to PvP, since they can level up without any disadvantage, and then we'll have Warhammer scenarios killing oRvR all over again.

Another downside:

They would have to spend time and resources balancing that XP.

As different builds/classes have different roles. What if you are playing as a defender and you a spend a game chasing people from a point but never killing anyone? Where does your xp come from? Standing on the point? Now they have to make sure getting xp from standing on a point isn't 'easier' than the xp you get for killing people.

DemonStacey on
    If they make XP come from competitive pvp people will start to focus on K/D ratio more than actually trying to win the match. Too many people already play conquest type games like they're deathmatches.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    If they make XP come from competitive pvp people will start to focus on K/D ratio more than actually trying to win the match. Too many people already play conquest type games like they're deathmatches.

Precisely what I was saying above!

DaemonSadi wrote: »

Yep, It was a case of beat'd. :)

the best thing they have done in the scoreboard is to only show score.
    And to award more score to taking objectives than to kills.
    Sure you can see your own amount of kills but you can't see anyone else's. No competition, it's all about score.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Precisely what I said a few pages ago :P

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

:lol: After my my n52te ended up hurting more than helping, I was like, "Screw this," and went back to the keyboard. That binding is exactly what I ended up doing, except I had mouse4 instead of C, and I bound 0 to mouse5.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular

Why not just get exp/karma for each win?

This discussion has been closed.