As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I think it is because it reminds me of all the social dysfunction in similar groups i encountered. Like even fairly well adjusted people wearing cat ears, to whatever extent that is possible, make me uncomfortable.

ohhhhh em onii chan sama kawaii desu ichii uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I think it is because it reminds me of all the social dysfunction in similar groups i encountered. Like even fairly well adjusted people wearing cat ears, to whatever extent that is possible, make me uncomfortable.

I too am a bit of a prude when it comes to such blatant geeky displays.

*Shame filled high five!*

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I get that feeling when I see people playing online video games or making friends over the internet

it's like a chill down my spine

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    College services need to be curtailed, severely. IMO, your line of thought is part of the problem.

Nah. I think I was unclear about what I meant by "curtailing services."

See, I agree completely with the following sentences:
    A lot of the problem with the post-secondary education system is how little educating it gets done relative to the money it spends. Unfortunately, I think you're right about the outcome because the college administrators can't be relied upon to trim the fat while maintaining their core mission of educating students.

It'd be possible to massively slash tuition and still provide a good education, but it would require cutting a lot of campus sacred cows and increasing the actual teaching output of the faculty. Neither of these things will happen in any institution I'm familiar with, because the people with the power to do the cutting won't do it.

You're absolutely right - a smaller and smaller percentage of college budgets get spent on core services (education and research) every year, while administrative and overhead costs go up.

However, here's where our thinking diverges.

One big driver (though not the only driver by any stretch of the imagination) of that is that the value of a college education is very unclear - how much does it really matter if you go to one school versus a different school? So students and parents choose their schools based on prestige criteria like the quality of the residential facilities or the dining facilities.

So let's say the bubble bursts and customers become extremely cost-conscious. Universities will have incentives to cut costs, but they will not have incentive to change the proportional budget allocations of their respective revenues. If anything, they'll be even more desperate to attract customers. Administration, facilities, and overhead will continue to be disproportionate drivers of tuition costs. The bubble bursting would just lead to academic services being squeezed even tighter.

I don't think we really diverge. The problem I see is that this bubble is unsustainable and if something can't go on forever... it won't. The reckoning is coming for higher ed, and I think the response of the university administrators will be pretty much just as you described. Professors won't be required to increase their output, admin won't be cut, classroom material will still be astronomically expensive and fraught with conflicts of interest, and more of the poor will be squeezed out... at first. Later there will be campus closings and scandals, but because so many of the decision makers in university and government are so heavily vested in maintaining the status quo, little will be done to change the culture or reorganize the systems and it'll start over again.

I'm not sure that I'd use the word unclear to describe the value of a college education - I think universities are actively engaged in obfuscating the value and deflecting questions on the topic however they can, up to and including outright fraud. If it's unclear, it is because that's the way it's designed to be.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Variable wrote: »
    benarwhal what does the blue represent in that image?

How long it has been since they last won (white space above) compared to entire existence of the franchise (blue and white - the whole height of the cup - combined).

So basically, 5 of those teams have never won and are totally due, whereas New Jersey hasn't suffered nearly enough yet.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I actually feel vaguely nauseous looking at that picture. People cosplaying makes me feel sick like glancing into the room where anime club had meetings in high school. I am not sure why.

Because you are getting contact embarrassment.

People make assumptions about the attitude of cosplayers. Like, I will not lie to you, some of them are awkward mouthbreathing neckbeards who have no concept of social interaction and use it as a way to further their deluded sense of reality. Others, however, are shooting the shit and doing it for fun because they like: arts and crafts, hanging out with people who share their hobbies, or meeting random people who stop them for photos.

Like, if you were to actually meet most of these people you would probably lose a lot of your misgivings about it. It is something you do to be goofy on a weekend, like going to a costume party.

As an aside, I didn't have this confirmed but I was told that the sorceress Lux who is clearly not prepared for the photo standing next to me actually worked on the costume design team for The Hunger Games.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    superheroes are awesome and i keep wanting to get into comics but it's just too vast and intimidating and i don't know where to start diving in

I feel this way too.

I want to get into Marvel comics, but (and maybe this is just comic book nerds being comic book nerds) I am told that picking up any particular run of comics is like summer-salting through a minefield.

People who say this are people who dont read funnybooks

I mean, you're not going to injure yourself I you miss a throwaway reference to something from years back

Also the 80s and 90/ were a while ago

Superhero comics have a real hard on for being approachable and not insular right now

You would need zero background to read any of DC's new comics

It doesn't really matter who was in the x-men or avengers a decade ago most of the time

Well the problem is less that I'm worried about not getting the continuity (I have wikipedia afterall), the problem is more that I am told that some comic runs are absolutely atrocious while others are great and figuring out which ones are which is not straightforward.

But like I said, this is coming from the mouth of a girl who is one of those incredibly hard to please types when it comes to media and trashes anything that does not appeal to her.

Comic book writers do love to drop shout outs to old characters/events but the way they include them into the story is such that if you have never heard of Jean Grey or the Pheonix Force they go out of their way to explain it all for you.

The first page of every Marvel/DC book I follow is a summary of what is going on in the story thus far. Very new reader friendly .

Right, but I keep saying I'm not worried about accessibility I'm worried about the comics blowing :P.

No one has a NES Zapper light gun to your head.

Or do they?

I'm just saying you guys should tell me which comics don't suck!

Knights of the Dinner Table

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

How long it has been since they last won (white space above) compared to entire existence of the franchise (blue and white - the whole height of the cup - combined).

So basically, 5 of those teams have never won and are totally due, whereas New Jersey hasn't suffered nearly enough yet.

thanks, I didn't recall it being very long since NJ won. they had a pretty good period not so long ago.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    lately i have been qualifying almost everything i say. it's really weird and unpleasant. it makes it hard to say anything at all. i think it's a habit of talking to my therapist.

organichu: so and so and so... which isn't to say, of course, that a, b, and c. but of course for some people i guess i could see the point that it's actually d, e, and f. it's a crazy world. who really knows?

and i end up not committing to anything and defending everything i say preemptively and not making any real points or revealing any actual feelings.

it sucks.

yup. posting in chat will do that to you.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I actually feel vaguely nauseous looking at that picture. People cosplaying makes me feel sick like glancing into the room where anime club had meetings in high school. I am not sure why.

It's called NERDS!

Revenge_Of_The_Nerds.jpg

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i am terrible, i ate all those chips

poo
  • Options

thanks, I didn't recall it being very long since NJ won. they had a pretty good period not so long ago.

Yep, slightly younger Brodeur combined with the defensive setup they had about a decade ago was near unstoppable :)

And I'd like the old man to get one more, but I think the young guns will outplay him this year.

• Options
    ugh, and the afternoon of a million meetings gets an early start

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I dunno

Like, people need to know how to act in public for sure. And yelling THE CAKE IS A LIE OR I FEED at your friends is a bit much. People who feel completely disconnected from broader society into a hobbyist ghetto can be tiresome to interact with.

But at the same time, people who have only the most middle of the road interests are just as tedious. Spending an hour talking about nothing but like, "You know what show I liked? Seinfeld. I like to watch sports sometimes but I don't really feel strongly about any teams. I hope my next car gets slightly better gas mileage," makes me cringe as much as naturo headbands.

I think there is a happy medium between being a neckbeard and between embodying a broad marketing demographic without having an actual personality.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    @Spool32 , what do you consider to be the "sacred cows" of college education? How much teaching output do you think the average professor performs in a given semester?

I am unclear about these points in your argument

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    what is the point of may day

all i remember is that in grade school we usually had our field day on may day and they did those may pole things
    It's a celebration of labor, and those who fucking work for a living.

It's not something Texas respects in the least, so I understand why you wouldn't have heard of it.
    not recognizing the value of hard work seems like a stereotype about city slicking new yorkers in their suits, scoffing at those colored bell hops

i thought country ass hicks edified 'honest work' and poked fun at smahties
    Like most things when it comes to country-ass hicks, it's something they talk about edifying (not that they know what that word means), while in reality they strip every worker protection they possibly can, and let the "free market" rape anyone trying to draw a salary in anything other than financial services straight up the ass.

Because they're disingenuous assholes.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    There is no a priori reason why bubbles need to burst suddenly instead of deflating over a period of time.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Computer people: help me with my problem.

• Options
    I dunno

Like, people need to know how to act in public for sure. And yelling THE CAKE IS A LIE OR I FEED at your friends is a bit much. People who feel completely disconnected from broader society into a hobbyist ghetto can be tiresome to interact with.

But at the same time, people who have only the most middle of the road interests are just as tedious. Spending an hour talking about nothing but like, "You know what show I liked? Seinfeld. I like to watch sports sometimes but I don't really feel strongly about any teams. I hope my next car gets slightly better gas mileage," makes me cringe as much as naturo headbands.

I think there is a happy medium between being a neckbeard and between embodying a broad marketing demographic without having an actual personality.

definitely, I just think it's unfair to decide that if people like to dress up they are definitely all the way into "neckbeard" territory. I feel like if you spend the amount of time on this forum that most of us do, you should have had most of that shit removed. There is no single hobby that guarantees a person's dysfunction.

I used to hate "do you get service here"? in high school, that to me was the epitome of a completely empty conversation that no one actually gave a shit about.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    There is no obvious reason - there really isn't - why generic tertiary education needs to be hitched to the cart of frontier research. Why even do these things in the same building? Universities face internal pressure to force these apart, even, hence why graduates end up doing a lot of the teaching for undergraduates.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

ohhhhh em onii chan sama kawaii desu ichii uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~

A lot, and I mean a lot of it is context.

Like I would probably kill myself if I was caught in public in that outfit. Like we went to a bar nearby and when I walked in I realized that none of the people there were from the con and I immediately ran to the bathroom and removed all my costume bits.

But people at the con will not give a shit, that is what you are there to do. There isn't anyone around to judge you for it.

Though god people who try to speak Japanese are awful.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Red Son the comic is fantastic.

Red Son the motion comic is... less so.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i don't have a problem with small talk in theory. it's just boring when people are so fucking guarded about everything. i know people just as often hate blabber mouths and emotional tissues, but like... without a meaningfully organic response, chit chat is just call and response.

which is to say the dude who just kinda likes seinfeld and hopes his next car is more efficient probably has interesting, novel thoughts. but we are mostly pretty guarded until we know people.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    which educational services ought to be cut? i mean, assuming you talk about lowering funding for athletic institutions that don't generate revenue and curtailing administrative pay and maybe making alumni parties less lavish... what are the actual educational things you think are just wastes of money?

There was a great example this year in Florida, where the Gov suggested they no longer provide state funding for anthropology majors because there were zero jobs in anthropology in Florida. Extra snicker-worthy because the gov.'s daughter majored in anthro and couldn't find a job. :)

Basically, I'm pointing firstly at the low educational output among university faculty - increasing the number of classes they teach while keeping pay flat should lower the cost of a class. Secondly, I'm talking about unleashing the same sort of business efficiency measures they teach in the university on the university administrative staff. I'm talking about things like pegging tuition increases to inflation or less. Forcing a reduction in cost (and teacher salary) for individual major tracks that are proven not to produce successful outcomes for students in the major. Just for starters, if the average degree holder in a major can't earn enough to pay off his loans in 10 years, the cost should be cut for that specific major and maybe even future loans denied.

It's one thing to take some art history classes while you're in college. It's another thing to fool a student into thinking he can take out $90k in loans to get a degree in art history and it'll translate into a job that will allow him to pay back the 90K before he's 30.

Anyhow, I'm sort of brainstorming here... I don't claim to have the right answers but I definitely see the need for some right answers because right now this shit is cray, ain't it Jay?

• Options
    Like, I definitely agree that academic institutions have fucked up their business model, but I see two problems with this in most of the discourse about it

One- the blame always gets thrown on the feet of administrators, and while they do make disproportionately more than educators and other employees, it seems to be accepted that most of the tuition inflation is a result of decreasing amounts of federal and public funding for universities. The university I just left saw a 40% tuition increase after a 30% decrease in state allocations to their budget.

Universities are hurting, bad, and while they may be making poor financial decisions, the solution to that isn't to cut them off of public funds, because that just makes the problem worse in the realm of tuition inflation.

Second- I dislike the idea that colleges should be run similarly to businesses. I think that obfuscates the core mission, which is providing quality education, and leads to things like...shelling out a 2.5 million dollar annual salary for a football coach after making teachers take a week-long furlough.

Why did this happen? Because football brings in revenue, and they will probably make that investment back.

Is this counter to the goal of educating students?

Yes.

• Options
    But I am not an economist, so please Ronya, feel free to tear my position to pieces

• Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular

Yep, slightly younger Brodeur combined with the defensive setup they had about a decade ago was near unstoppable :)

And I'd like the old man to get one more, but I think the young guns will outplay him this year.

the trap ruined hockey, their team name is perfect because they should rot in hell for what they did to hockey for years! :P

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I have a friend who studies languages. Lots of languages, all at the same time, because she is just sickeningly talented like that.

It is interesting to hear her rant on the kinds of people drawn to various language courses. My understanding is that German courses are filled with middle management and technical types, Spanish and Italian with a mix of younger people who have a knack for languages but aren't really sure which they wanted to learn and creepy pickup artist, and Japanese courses with the insufferable.

The dropout rate for Japanese courses is apparently ridiculous as well. Like, they reckon they're doing well if a quarter of the class is still there come the final assessments.

japan on
  • Options
    Like, the issue is when you have these nerds who don't understand how to function in public and think that this shit is acceptable all the time.

That is not what this is.

This is being in an entirely different context in which all of absurdly nerdy shit is perfectly acceptable. If someone walks into a con and they're all like
    Revenge_Of_The_Nerds.jpg
    then they are the ones who aren't understanding how to function in that social situation. It is only embarrassing from the outside looking in because those are the people who are judging.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Basically, I'm pointing firstly at the low educational output among university faculty - increasing the number of classes they teach while keeping pay flat should lower the cost of a class.

I'm not sure this is true

EDIT: but I like that both you and I, spool, made posts right after another

Yours- treat colleges more like business!

Mine- Stop treating colleges like business!

Arch on
  • Options
    Witchdr wrote: »

the trap ruined hockey, their team name is perfect because they should rot in hell for what they did to hockey for years! :P

Oh, I don't disagree, but it definitely worked for a long time! And helped, perhaps, to inflate Brodeur's Hall-of-Fame level statistics.

• Options
    i don't have a problem with small talk in theory. it's just boring when people are so fucking guarded about everything. i know people just as often hate blabber mouths and emotional tissues, but like... without a meaningfully organic response, chit chat is just call and response.

which is to say the dude who just kinda likes seinfeld and hopes his next car is more efficient probably has interesting, novel thoughts. but we are mostly pretty guarded until we know people.

there's no assumption on my part that people have nothing better to say, that's why that type of conversation sucks so much

• Options
    japan wrote: »

I have a friend who studies languages. Lots of languages, all at the same time, because she is just sickeningly talented like that.

It is interesting to hear her rant on the kinds of people drawn to various language courses. My understanding is that German courses are filled with middle management and technical types, Spanish and Italian with a mix of younger people who have a knack for languages but aren't really sure which they wanted to learn and creepy pickup artist, and Japanese courses with the insufferable.

The dropout rate for Japanese courses is apparently ridiculous as well. Like, they reckon they're doing well if a quarter of the class is still there come the final assessments.

I liked Chinese class. It was pretty much just a bunch of Asian chicks.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    which educational services ought to be cut? i mean, assuming you talk about lowering funding for athletic institutions that don't generate revenue and curtailing administrative pay and maybe making alumni parties less lavish... what are the actual educational things you think are just wastes of money?

There was a great example this year in Florida, where the Gov suggested they no longer provide state funding for anthropology majors because there were zero jobs in anthropology in Florida. Extra snicker-worthy because the gov.'s daughter majored in anthro and couldn't find a job. :)

Basically, I'm pointing firstly at the low educational output among university faculty - increasing the number of classes they teach while keeping pay flat should lower the cost of a class. Secondly, I'm talking about unleashing the same sort of business efficiency measures they teach in the university on the university administrative staff. I'm talking about things like pegging tuition increases to inflation or less. Forcing a reduction in cost (and teacher salary) for individual major tracks that are proven not to produce successful outcomes for students in the major. Just for starters, if the average degree holder in a major can't earn enough to pay off his loans in 10 years, the cost should be cut for that specific major and maybe even future loans denied.

It's one thing to take some art history classes while you're in college. It's another thing to fool a student into thinking he can take out $90k in loans to get a degree in art history and it'll translate into a job that will allow him to pay back the 90K before he's 30.

Anyhow, I'm sort of brainstorming here... I don't claim to have the right answers but I definitely see the need for some right answers because right now this shit is cray, ain't it Jay?

There's a reason Rick Scott got roundly kick in the nuts over this kind of sentiment. Education needs to stop being a business. We don't need to stop letting kids study what they want because it costs too much, we should instead be solving the ridiculous cost of the degree.

Why the fuck is an art degree 90k? That's the real problem.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    go dahvelsssss

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I dunno

definitely, I just think it's unfair to decide that if people like to dress up they are definitely all the way into "neckbeard" territory. I feel like if you spend the amount of time on this forum that most of us do, you should have had most of that shit removed. There is no single hobby that guarantees a person's dysfunction.

I used to hate "do you get service here"? in high school, that to me was the epitome of a completely empty conversation that no one actually gave a shit about.

Hey if cuties want to dress up as like, Luigi as a hot girl or something I'm not telling them to stop

I have defended cosplay before -- I doubt the dozens of hot and haughty fire twirlers I have seen done up in mad max couture dress that way daily. The guys I saw in full TRON regalia at burning man were awesome. The monkey-robot-flapper outdoor ball I went to was better than most clubs or bars I've visited.

In fact, I might like cosplay more than fashion because cosplay is such a disruption of what daily clothing is meant to encode and say.

And every subculture has people who are lame so yeah.

Yeah, variable.

Somewhere I have a gif of homer and skinner nodding at each other and I wish I could put it here

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

Because you are getting contact embarrassment.

People make assumptions about the attitude of cosplayers. Like, I will not lie to you, some of them are awkward mouthbreathing neckbeards who have no concept of social interaction and use it as a way to further their deluded sense of reality. Others, however, are shooting the shit and doing it for fun because they like: arts and crafts, hanging out with people who share their hobbies, or meeting random people who stop them for photos.

Like, if you were to actually meet most of these people you would probably lose a lot of your misgivings about it. It is something you do to be goofy on a weekend, like going to a costume party.

As an aside, I didn't have this confirmed but I was told that the sorceress Lux who is clearly not prepared for the photo standing next to me actually worked on the costume design team for The Hunger Games.
    I know a transgirl who makes bank on cosplay shit and does it for a living. She is a pro, though.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I liked Chinese class. It was pretty much just a bunch of Asian chicks.

I once got a lengthy email rant from her about a guy she refers to as "powdery Dave" in one of her Spanish labs. Powdery Dave apparently "leans too close and smells like terror".

• Options

There's a reason Rick Scott got roundly kick in the nuts over this kind of sentiment. Education needs to stop being a business. We don't need to stop letting kids study what they want because it costs too much, we should instead be solving the ridiculous cost of the degree.

Why the fuck is an art degree 90k? That's the real problem.

Bros

• Options
    I dunno

Hey if cuties want to dress up as like, Luigi as a hot girl or something I'm not telling them to stop

I have defended cosplay before -- I doubt the dozens of hot and haughty fire twirlers I have seen done up in mad max couture dress that way daily. The guys I saw in full TRON regalia at burning man were awesome. The monkey-robot-flapper outdoor ball I went to was better than most clubs or bars I've visited.

In fact, I might like cosplay more than fashion because cosplay is such a disruption of what daily clothing is meant to encode and say.

And every subculture has people who are lame so yeah.

Yeah, variable.

Somewhere I have a gif of homer and skinner nodding at each other and I wish I could put it here

/nod

I didn't mean to make any assumptions about you personally so sorry about that. I just find that type of attitude strange around these parts, although I do understand where it comes from to some extent.

This discussion has been closed.