As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular

I was only level 22 doing those BAMs as well, so I was missing some of my cooler abilities (I think I haven't visited the trainer since 20 which may make it worse).

The 'Naga' boss curb-stomped me twice with his random flailings that I couldn't quite figure out how to see coming. Everything else I fought went swimmingly well, and I'm quite loving my warrior. :)

At 28 things change a ton, you will actually have multiple combos to use where you will want to chain things to get faster/more attacks.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MandresMandres Registered User regular
    I just wanted to mention that leveling in a duo/trio feels about 3x as fast as soloing so far. I don't understand why so many people resist grouping or turn down party invites when we're obviously killing the same things.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    you also get more exp in a group.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Mandres wrote: »
    I just wanted to mention that leveling in a duo/trio feels about 3x as fast as soloing so far. I don't understand why so many people resist grouping or turn down party invites when we're obviously killing the same things.

A lot of people are coming from WoW and similar where soloing is the most efficient means of leveling up. It's very hard to break that anti social behavior.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Sittin' at work thinking about what alt to roll next. Get out of my head game, I haven't had it this bad since vanilla wow.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited May 2012
    So I've started up a Baraka Archer. Because....well it's awesome. He's an archer but he is a giant man made of stone. Also his bow is really tiny.

I have named him Peregrin in honor of the small swift flying falcon of which he has no similarities. He is large, highly immobile, and fires what looks to be a small toy boy at bad guys.

I'll post some pics tonight.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Made a Priest on Dragonfall last night, got a guild invite.

So far, I am really enjoying the Priest. I am sure it gets harder to solo as time goes on, but during the early levels, I am enjoying it. I really like the way the healing works. All my heals that I've seen (through the Prologue and now on to the Isle), are either for my group or myself. I don't have to target heals, which lets me be a part of the combat as well.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Priest and mystic can each solo up through the high 30s, albeit slowly. There are a few story quests that require a group.

Grouping is probably better just to learn the fight dynamics where you have to keep others going in addition to yourself. Plus it might get you on friends lists for running instances and BAMs.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    Did the games money used to only be gold and no copper/silver?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Yeah

• LepLep Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Did the games money used to only be gold and no copper/silver?

Yea they switched it over to the gold/silver/copper for open beta.

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    The server my friends chose is also the PA server?! That never happens! Sweeeeet

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I cant decide on an alt. I think I want to try something besides lancer in between my bouts of lancer grinding.

I am terrible at decision making, it is sadness.

steam_sig.png
  • flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    If you're used to melee it's worth trying a ranged class just to see what it's like (and vice versa). It might not stick but it's interesting to see how the dynamics change accordingly with class type.

I cant decide on an alt. I think I want to try something besides lancer in between my bouts of lancer grinding.

I am terrible at decision making, it is sadness.

I recommend Slayer, because Slayers are awesome, and a diminutive elin weilding a Sword three times her size is endless fun.

Hell I'm 37 levels into the game and I still giggle every time I use overhead Smash. (It's a staple move...I giggle a lot.) It's just so damned, satisfying.

delphinidaes.png
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    So I've started up a Baraka Archer. Because....well it's awesome. He's an archer but he is a giant man made of stone. Also his bow is really tiny.

I have named him Peregrin in honor of the small swift flying falcon of which he has no similarities. He is large, highly immobile, and fires what looks to be a small toy boy at bad guys.

I raise you my evil bloodthirsty elin, tiny.tank. the most vile lancer on the planet!

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Mandres wrote: »

Around the time that BAMs start showing up, people figure out that grouping is a good idea pretty fast. Last night while playing my warrior, people were advertising for groups to fight the various BAMs quite often. It is fun to solo one just to see if you can, but unless you out-level them they take forever to kill so it's not very productive.

I haven't got to group with any guildies, but I'm always down for it when I'm on. No one ever seems to be the same level as me though. :P

• MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    My question is this:

Will Guild Wars 2 make me cancel my TERA sub the way TERA made me cancel my SWTOR sub? With extreme prejudice?

edited May 2012
    Morvidus wrote: »
    My question is this:

Will Guild Wars 2 make me cancel my TERA sub the way TERA made me cancel my SWTOR sub? With extreme prejudice?

Since GW2 has no sub... maybe not?
    Around the time that BAMs start showing up, people figure out that grouping is a good idea pretty fast. Last night while playing my warrior, people were advertising for groups to fight the various BAMs quite often. It is fun to solo one just to see if you can, but unless you out-level them they take forever to kill so it's not very productive.

I haven't got to group with any guildies, but I'm always down for it when I'm on. No one ever seems to be the same level as me though. :P

Soloing them are nice when you are farming for the runes only BAMs drop.... but ya, you need to outlevel them or its terribly boring for how much damage they take.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Morvidus wrote: »
    My question is this:

This seems a pretty tough question. Mostly because GW is much closer to TOR then it is to TERA.

They really feel like a couple of games I'd play at the same time, just because the actual play dynamic is quite different.

steam_sig.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I liked GW2's setting, personal story and world quests, but TERA is leagues ahead when it comes to combat. If you play TERA because you find tab-target combat boring you prolly won't drop it for GW2.
    Plus, GW2's release date hasn't even been announced yet and I'm not sure I want to play much more of it before release. Lots of rough edges.

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    On the topic of soloing, at 42 I actually find soloing BAMs a lot of fun, and a pretty good challenge. Managed to solo a BAM quest last night in about 25 minutes (Had to kill 2 BAMs and then 1 "Harder than average" BAM.) Each kill was worth 350-400k xp, and the quest turn in was 700k. Grouped, that would have been about 90k a kill.

Quintessin on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »
    On the topic of soloing, at 42 I actually find soloing BAMs a lot of fun, and a pretty good challenge. Managed to solo a BAM quest last night in about 25 minutes (Had to kill 2 BAMs and then 1 "Harder than average" BAM.) Each kill was worth 350-400k xp, and the quest turn in was 700k. Grouped, that would have been about 90k a kill.

I'm pretty sure you get more XP when grouped? Or does this change when dealing with BAMs?

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Is this game really quest grind and mob grind intensive? Is it fairly linear in its progression?

PNA1v.jpg
    Is this game really quest grind and mob grind intensive? Is it fairly linear in its progression?

Yes... but not as slow as typical korean MMOs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular

When levelling, you'll be doing quests as your main XP source. Killing mobs no longer feels like a grind thanks to the active combat system. You dodge out of the way of attacks, you slay entire groups of enemies in 2 or 3 swings of your swords/axe. It's really groundbreaking and much more engaging than Rift, SWTOR, or WoW. Haven't played GW2 so I can't compare to that.

The linearity comes in the quest progression, but its not really restricting, I'd say.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Haven't played GW2 so I can't compare to that.

Oh... Tera is better than GW2 as far as combat goes. I'll be playing both games, since all the other features of GW2 are so great.... however after playing both a decent bit, I do wish that GW2 had the combat of Tera.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    So I guess I am the only one who finds the Elin kind of creepy? I know it's an eastern culture thing...just not really in to the over sexualized high school girl thing I guess.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    OH we know. Personally I don't like it being brought up because it turns into a 2-3 page derail about what other cultures find acceptable or not and I'd rather not do that again.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    for leveling sometimes I'll just aoe farm those commendation repeatables over and over. gather up 10 guys and then hack them all down with my axe twirling. lots of loots this way too

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    watching a lancer take 10 minutes to solo a basilisk while I was doing some stuff seemed pretty pointless.

but bams(I like FOE more) might end up with the problem that there won't be enough low level characters to group for them later on.

edited May 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I guess I am the only one who finds the Elin kind of creepy? I know it's an eastern culture thing...just not really in to the over sexualized high school girl thing I guess.

You aren't alone. Lots of people initially felt that way, but I would imagine most people have just gotten used to seeing them around. I personally play mostly Elin, but I wouldn't same i'm "in" to the over sexualized High School girl thing. I find the design cute, and I find it endlessly amusing that they can wield Huge ass weapons that seem to almost fling them around. (Slayer and Lancer Elin here).

Some people certainly take it to a whole other creepy level, but I would attribute that to a select few rather than the majority of the Elin population.

*Edit* @Jars in an MMO there is almost always a fair amount of people leveling alts or at various levels in the game, granted this is going to depend on server size, but I know on my server (VoT) I doubt there will ever be a shortage of people at any particular stage of the game to group with. You don't even necessarily need the holy trinity. You just need a decent amount of people who know what they are doing to do the BAM quests.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited May 2012

You aren't alone. Lots of people initially felt that way, but I would imagine most people have just gotten used to seeing them around. I personally play mostly Elin, but I wouldn't same i'm "in" to the over sexualized High School girl thing. I find the design cute, and I find it endlessly amusing that they can wield Huge ass weapons that seem to almost fling them around. (Slayer and Lancer Elin here).

Some people certainly take it to a whole other creepy level, but I would attribute that to a select few rather than the majority of the Elin population.

I wasn't making a judgement of the population of players who play Elin. My comment was more about the design of the race itself. I would imagine there are far more people playing them because of a) big weapons and b) some kind of joke than there are people playing them because of some strange sexual complex.

GnomeTank on
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with Delphinidaes. I play mostly Elin but thats largely because I like the cutesy look combined with the giant weapons. Also the emotes are all wonderful, wonderful works of art.

Tornelco wrote: »
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with Delphinidaes. I play mostly Elin but thats largely because I like the cutesy look combined with the giant weapons. Also the emotes are all wonderful, wonderful works of art.

plus /taunt and /dance straight up infuriate people during PvP.

delphinidaes.png
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    So, is there a free trial of this here game?

mrsatansig.png
  • MukkMukk Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Elin are definitely sexualized pre to early teen girls. Upper bodies are that of little kids, lower body full on woman. But it's one of those Asian things... they're cutesy too and kinda endearing. I don't really mind, they don't appeal to me stylistically.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    No free trial at the moment that I know of, but go pick it up, it's a blast.

I just put up an early review at the site in my sig. I know it's a little premature being launch day and all but I've played all through the beta and the headstart, want to get our thoughts out there quick!

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »

I raise you my evil bloodthirsty elin, tiny.tank. the most vile lancer on the planet!

I wasn't making a judgement of the population of players who play Elin. My comment was more about the design of the race itself. I would imagine there are far more people playing them because of a) big weapons and b) some kind of joke than there are people playing them because of some strange sexual complex.

Personally I didn't like them at first. Then I made an Elin tank because the irony appealed to me. I don't regret it at all. Watching tiny.tank tank a mob 5x her size is just the best!

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Re Elin: I came for the trolling, I stayed for the absolutely ridiculous way she runs and jumps. Also that noise she makes when she succeeds at something? I don't even know what thats trying to be, but it makes me grin.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.