As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't name her after Richy. :P

Ana Khouri is my favourite character in Revelation Space.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    to be clear i don't think there's anything wrong with cosplaying

it's just that it literally makes me feel slightly queasy to look at groups of people doing it

i judge them and i laugh at them and they are embarrassing, in my opinion

but i also sort of want to do it

i can't really justify my disdain

in general i think disdain is probably not a great thing

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Gah, so bored right now.

Anyway, did I mention i'm making a card game? Wondering if anyone wants to try the super extremely pre-alpha version 0.1. it's probably a complete mess, but I'm gonna polish that until it shines.
    (is it okay to post about that kinda stuff?)

what is the format?

You mean the size?

Should around... 2.5 by 3.5 inches, i think. Same as Magic: cards.

you'd need dice, though, a whole mess of dice. cubic ones.

oh i thought you meant this was software.

Are you not interested if i tell you it's a physical TCG that needs a lot of dice and maybe some notepads?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    to be clear i don't think there's anything wrong with cosplayers

I just wouldn't want my daughter marrying one.

Gah, so bored right now.

Anyway, did I mention i'm making a card game? Wondering if anyone wants to try the super extremely pre-alpha version 0.1. it's probably a complete mess, but I'm gonna polish that until it shines.

what is the format?

You mean the size?

Are you not interested if i tell you it's a physical TCG that needs a lot of dice and maybe some notepads?

i'm not interested in testing a physical game, no, sorry.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I guess the real mystery here is it is the volume of filesystem snapshots, or is it just the 45,000 virtual hard disks?

I'm tempted to the say the latter, since I guess the Linux kernel wants to keep poking them all, which of course eats all the iops.

I should probably add an SSD cache to this thing.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    dice rollers on the internet = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

cleaning your fucking apartment = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

Pfft, you assume someone won't think that using d4s as caltrops will be amusing.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

amputating your feet = never step on dice in your bare feet again!

Oh, well now you're just being silly.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh what the FUCK marvel you're cancelling Avengers Earths Mightest Heroes

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Gah, so bored right now.

what is the format?

You mean the size?

i'm not interested in testing a physical game, no, sorry.

chu, if you immerse yourself in virtuality too much, you'll lose touch with reality.

you need physical stimuli when playing, you need to feel the cards, smell the opponent, to truly taste victory.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    If any of you are at all interested, I actually wrote a (tad long) article about anime conventions last year when I went to Acen that I think very accurately describes how I feel about this sort of thing:
    Now, I'll admit I'm being somewhat melodramatic for talking about an anime convention. Also, I figure that what I have to say on the matter will ultimately come as little surprise to die-hard con goers who have experienced this sort of thing first-hand. However, my goal here is to speak to anyone here who has yet to attend and either wonders whether its really their sort of thing or scoffs openly at the idea. Also, I think that the phenomenon itself is fascinating enough to have significance to people beyond the individuals who happen to devote much of their time and money to these hobbies. Mostly I'm just excited that I went to my first anime convention and I want to tell you guys about it.

I could say that the con is about "nerd culture" and leave it at that, but I'd be doing the subject a disservice; not only because "nerd culture" doesn't quite describe it, but because "nerd culture" deserves a more involved definition. When I showed up at Acen I was expecting people dressed up as anime characters. What I wasn't entirely expecting was the full gamut of "nerdy" media being represented far beyond any intersection with anime. Some of the costumes I saw originated in popular western video games, obscure indie games, western animation, popular youtube videos, flash games, webcomics, even personifications of internet memes and bizarre abstractions, and, of course, furries. There were also people who weren't dressed up as anything in particular, they were walking around in cat ears, or clinging to swords, or wearing whatever impractical outfit they happened to have designed.

Two things became immediately apparent to me: (1) people weren't trying to fit into the anime theme, or necessarily any theme at all, they were wearing whatever the fuck they happened to think was cool and (2) as my good friend Mike put it "the things I like aren't nearly as obscure as I thought they were." These two things together explained to me exactly what the con really was.

I think we've all seen horrifying "anime club" videos, or we're at least familiar with the idea; dreadfully awkward teenagers pantomiming a reality that they aren't a part of, and drastically so at that. We see children who've clung tightly to marginalized media and without the sort of socializing education inherent in conventional media they flounder in society. They're maladjusted, but its not that they've attempted to adjust to our society and failed, it's that they've adjusted to a social etiquette that doesn't jive with the reality they have to live in. A young girl might attempt to fashion her hair in a way that gravity disagrees with, may believe that pawing at her friends and mewing "nyah" is a socially acceptable greeting, but it's all because her socialization originated with a media that represents a world where she doesn't live. Other girls her age were watching high school dramas and MTV spring break reels and adjusting accordingly thanks to a media that depicts and shapes the world they'll grow up in. The reason we don't find their actions so strange is because they've been taught by media that's mainstream enough to become what we've come to expect. The mainstream defines the social reality.

Overwhelmingly, what defined the sorts of things I saw at the con was marginalized media. Things that I had been made to believe were enjoyed by the relatively few, as they weren't the sort of entertainment that was embraced by society at large. It's still a faux pas to bring up a conversation about video games randomly with a stranger, but it's certainly alright to toss out a "how about them Bears?" The things I saw weren't necessarily for nerds, though the vast majority of the things I saw were. The defining characteristic of the represented subjects was that they were weird, quirky. They were exactly the sort of things you thought were too obscure to see someone else you don't even know put hundreds of hours and dollars into a costume to resemble, or if they happened to be something very popular, they were still the sort of thing you'd think twice about before admitting that you liked them to the bully in the school yard. Yet, while they were all somewhat disparate, seeing them all displayed together allowed me to see their interconnecting threads. Fantasy and sci-fi novels have influenced table-top games have influenced video games have influenced anime, and the flow goes just as easily in the other direction, or between any two points. These were all things that had influenced one another, they're marginalized but in this they've become woven into a culture of their own. This is the nerd culture, specifically the English-speaking nerd culture, that I've been referring to. It wasn't really until the con that I realized the overarching structure to the whole thing.

What surprised me, but what shouldn't have, is that a culture actually managed to develop. These are things that are nearly defined by their lack of acceptance and relatively small adoption rate among most people. Yet, when I walked into that con I became aware of a shared cultural experience with everyone there, one that I didn't share with the rest of the outside world. Returning to the subject of not approaching strangers about video games, I had the bizarre experience of finding it nearly as natural a thing to do as talking about the local sports team. Normally when I find myself in a situation where I have to explain to someone new that I spend a lot of time and money playing Magic: The Gathering I have to preface it with a lot of embarrassed disclaimers about how I'm not usually that type of nerd (this is a total lie), but it wasn't so there. At the con, I didn't feel that sort of inherent background judgment of the things I like. Suddenly what was the marginalized had become the mainstream.

Returning to the first of the two observations I made, I realized that the people there had dressed up almost as what came natural to them. It reminded me of avatars on an internet forum. They were displaying whatever was coolest, or funniest, or most adorable to them, and using it to represent themselves. That the displays were ostentatious or bizarre or not generally socially acceptable was of little consequence because they weren't any of those things in this new context. In fact, the connection to internet forums only solidified in my mind over time as I began to realize where I had felt this sort of nerd cultural harmony before. It was actually the same exact principle.

Which brings me back to my second observation, because what struck me more than any other sense was a feeling of belonging. It's actually, I believe, a pretty common feeling to have at a con, as I've heard it reported by people on more than one occasion. Of course, I was more than a little judging of the idea before I had experienced it; what kind of person feels more at home at a nerd convention than their own neighborhood? However, everything very quickly began to make sense for me. Because, the honest truth is that the place I feel most comfortable isn't my own town. The place I tend to feel most comfortable is with a collection of nerds on the internet. It's a place where we've gathered because despite whatever society at large may think of our micro-culture, we can coexist with it. The culture, I realized, wasn't limited to our small corner of the internet either. The nerd culture that I've been exposed to is spreading far and wide across it, and becoming a shared experience for all of us, and from here the structural backbone of the whole shindig was born. Being at the con was like being at the internet given physical form. It was like knowing what it would be like if the people from our forums weren't separated by a computer screen and hundreds of miles. It felt overwhelmingly right.

Back to our awkward little "anime club", here I saw them transformed. The same young girl with the unfortunate hair cut could get a wig that would enact the transformation for her. Mimicking the strange behavior of her animated role models was no longer painfully embarrassing, but appropriate and maybe even charming as she was simply being "in character". Walking down the length of the dealer's room you could find all sorts of resources devoted to transforming our reality into the theirs. Indeed, the devoted makeup work, sewing, and role playing of the con-goers has become incredibly convincing. I found myself wandering around with a goofy smile on my face the whole time while I witnessed reality being peeled back and something else being revealed beneath, something that I had no idea I had wanted.

Now, mind you, it wasn't a full transformation. Indeed, there were plenty of people who were still ill-acclimated, and while my attention was drawn to the most bright and excellent examples of cosplay and the like there were still plenty of individuals who remained either forlorn or deluded (and dressed in sloppy cosplay). There was still plenty of awkwardness to go around. Though, as my friend Patty put it, it was okay to be awkward since everyone else was too (at least in the real world).

I can't really make any sweeping proclamations about what it all means or whether this is some unique or recent development due to either to our increasing interconnectedness via the internet or the nature of the community that produced this con or whether this is simply the phenomenon that occurs whenever you have a group of people devoted to a marginalized sub-culture coming together like this.

The only thing I can really say with any certainty is, well, I want to go back.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    god i love having shaved junk

it feels so good

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Why don't you make the fiddly parts into cards?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited May 2012
    it occurs to me that i received like, no preventative care advice after my cardiac scare. like... aren't there charts and scads of warnings and advice? my doctor was like 'once you feel better, you should exercise'

he didn't say shit about smoking or red meat or anything

just like, hey john when you feel up to it exercise strenuously, that's heart healthy

it's like 6 months later and i'm kind of reflecting on how when i was discharged there was no real tone of seriousness or urgency despite my almost having died

Organichu on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

it feels so good
    shavedpussy.jpg
    M I RITE OLOL

bloodyroarxx on

it feels so good

High five, bro!

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    @elldren I saw the bat signal from yesterday -- 6 PM today is fine for me

Great! I'll see everyone on IRC then

fuck gendered marketing
    fuck gendered marketing
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Like, I definitely agree that academic institutions have fucked up their business model, but I see two problems with this in most of the discourse about it

One- the blame always gets thrown on the feet of administrators, and while they do make disproportionately more than educators and other employees, it seems to be accepted that most of the tuition inflation is a result of decreasing amounts of federal and public funding for universities. The university I just left saw a 40% tuition increase after a 30% decrease in state allocations to their budget.

Universities are hurting, bad, and while they may be making poor financial decisions, the solution to that isn't to cut them off of public funds, because that just makes the problem worse in the realm of tuition inflation.

What they should've done is cut their expenses by 30%, not increased tuition. I'm no economist, but I'd bet the majority of that increase will be covered in grants and loans. To me that says they saw a huge drop in revenue and instead of slashing overhead they knew they had a captive market that will buy whatever they sell so they just cranked up the price and offloaded their pain to customers who can't demand a refund if they get nothing of tangible value for their purchase.

very business-like, though, you gotta admit

I mean, if you had a captive market as a business, why wouldn't you do exactly this

Yeah, you're pretty correct there. It's unsustainable though... eventually you have somebody try to undercut your business. In this sector it's for-profit schools.

I wasn't the least bit surprised to see government begin to go after for-profit institutions for exactly the same problems traditional institutions have, with those very same institutions cheering from the sidelines.

Why don't you make the fiddly parts into cards?

Because this is version 0.1 super pre alpha edition. The fiddly parts may not even survive to version 0.1.2.

nobody commented on my college prestige post

well fuck you guys

one day i'll be making high 5 figures with a PRETTY HEALTHY 401k and then you'll all look silly

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    it occurs to me that i received like, no preventative care advice after my cardiac scare. like... aren't there charts and scads of warnings and advice? my doctor was like 'once you feel better, you should exercise'

just like, hey john when you feel up to it exercise strenuously, that's heart healthy

it's like 6 months later and i'm kind of reflecting on how when i was discharged there was no real tone of seriousness or urgency despite my almost having died

that's

pretty bad

i hope you have been trying to live well regardless

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    What would I have to do to have a magazine article refer to me as a provocateur?

yGxvf.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Sketching out what you think would happen if state governments both fixed the price of tuition and refused to make up the shortfall of funds will probably tell you enough about what you really suspect is going on with college tuition fees...

This is exactly what the current Tory government in the UK did (only applies to England, Wales, Northern Ireland).

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Pfft, you assume someone won't think that using d4s as caltrops will be amusing.

I had a friend with these awful pewter dice, I'm pretty sure they were made to kill overzealous DMs.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited May 2012

that's

pretty bad

i hope you have been trying to live well regardless

i mean i eat like it's my last day on death row

but i do exercise a good bit for a fatty and i don't smoke

o well

i am just kinda hypochondriac-y today because i've been feeling lightheaded and getting vertigo. chest feels fine!

Organichu on
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The liberal arts system is a big problem I think.

I mean, I'm all for a well rounded education, but a huge part of where we're at is a college degree is often not a sign of skillset or capability, it's a sign of class. If you can waste the money on a non-skills based education, you're our kind of people, you're hired! And as college became more widely available that didn't change. Which is unfortunate, because I can't tell you the number of people I know putting their college degrees to good use waiting tables or selling cable tv.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Like, I definitely agree that academic institutions have fucked up their business model, but I see two problems with this in most of the discourse about it

One- the blame always gets thrown on the feet of administrators, and while they do make disproportionately more than educators and other employees, it seems to be accepted that most of the tuition inflation is a result of decreasing amounts of federal and public funding for universities. The university I just left saw a 40% tuition increase after a 30% decrease in state allocations to their budget.

Universities are hurting, bad, and while they may be making poor financial decisions, the solution to that isn't to cut them off of public funds, because that just makes the problem worse in the realm of tuition inflation.

What they should've done is cut their expenses by 30%, not increased tuition. I'm no economist, but I'd bet the majority of that increase will be covered in grants and loans. To me that says they saw a huge drop in revenue and instead of slashing overhead they knew they had a captive market that will buy whatever they sell so they just cranked up the price and offloaded their pain to customers who can't demand a refund if they get nothing of tangible value for their purchase.

I mean, if you had a captive market as a business, why wouldn't you do exactly this

Yeah, you're pretty correct there. It's unsustainable though... eventually you have somebody try to undercut your business. In this sector it's for-profit schools.

I wasn't the least bit surprised to see government begin to go after for-profit institutions for exactly the same problems traditional institutions have, with those very same institutions cheering from the sidelines.

For profit schools are a mockery of education, though. For all the problems with the public and private university system, for profit schools do nothing but take advantage of, often very underprivileged, students.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

well fuck you guys

one day i'll be making high 5 figures with a PRETTY HEALTHY 401k and then you'll all look silly
    Prestige is useful for undergrad name recognition, but at the graduate level, you should be looking for an advisor with good field prowess. Generally, this is separate from prestige university. The top people in my field are scattered all over the world at many different universities. Also, the best research institutions for certain fields have little to no general public prestige.

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

Cardiac scare? D: What the hell happened?

PS: Gotta love that American healthcare system!

What would I have to do to have a magazine article refer to me as a provocateur?

Flounce around twice as hard as Marilyn Monroe.

What for-profit universities do is fleece people who have no idea how education works or should cost, for all their money. Pretty happy to see them get sued into oblivion in the next few years.

make a sex in my vagina

Cardiac scare? D: What the hell happened?

PS: Gotta love that American healthcare system!

i guess you've been pretty reclusive huh? i had a really serious health scare this past fall, i was in the hospital for a week. goddamn i was self-absorbed and talked about nothing but that for like a month, i'm surprised you didn't hear.

Kakos may I just say I just noticed your sig and appreciate it

fuck gendered marketing
    The liberal arts system is a big problem I think.

I mean, I'm all for a well rounded education, but a huge part of where we're at is a college degree is often not a sign of skillset or capability, it's a sign of class. If you can waste the money on a non-skills based education, you're our kind of people, you're hired! And as college became more widely available that didn't change. Which is unfortunate, because I can't tell you the number of people I know putting their college degrees to good use waiting tables or selling cable tv.
    I was very off-put by Women's Studies at my Uni because only the privileged could afford to take classes about really important stuff like class issue and what not, with little to no job prospects. It was so ass-backwards. I found a bunch of essays talking about that problem, which made me feel a whole bunch better.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, for-profit universities as they currently exist are about as loathsome as for-profit charity organizations or legalized loan sharking payday loan centers.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Happy First of May, everybody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbD8nsxcd8

um nsfw audio i guess

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    is kakos sig Will giving a peace sign anime emoting and screaming about something being cute

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

well fuck you guys

I think you're completely correct about the perceived value of the credentials you're buying, and the relative value between Penn State and wherever you're going now. My issue is that 1) the prestige is often only a perception, and its relationship to actual education varies wildly from major to major, and 2) it still shouldn't be as expensive as it is.

This discussion has been closed.