As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] We just want to unleash some Butchers!

• Options
    Dino-czarDino-czar 2 cool 2 be 4gottenRegistered User regular
    Sleet01 wrote: »
    Darius didn't do well at a tournament? Color me shocked... and disrupted :)

I like the Storm Strider, but outside of his ability to repair it, and crane it an insane distance, what does Darius do for it? I'd probably go 2x Centurion, 1x ea. Hammersmith, Ironclad, Stormclad. That gives you a bit more melee clout and some more KD, plus E-leap to deal with units that the Stormsmiths can't get to. Alternatively, I'd drop the Storm Strider for Boomhowler & Co., or maybe A&H, B13, and Reinholdt. In the former case you've got a good self-reliant unit for jamming or holding zones; in the latter case you keep a fair ranged threat while gaining some much-needed Magical attacks.

Of course, I've never gotten Darius to do well at tournaments either so take my suggestions with a carton of salt.

It isn't what Darius does for the 'strider, although the crane thing is hilarious, it's what the 'strider brings for D. The crowd control and distance threat is a something I really felt my list was lacking.

• Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    Tonight, Vindictus converted an angelius into a zealot and tanked a carnivean to the face the next turn. My KE seneschal then smote the carnivean over the new convert, who survived the collateral(?!), but was knocked down and failed his command check. Apparently he had seen enough freaky shit for one day, but Vindictus was not done, and promptly converted the carnivean as well. Then a forsaken exploded all over him for 7d6-15 damage. LULZ!

So yeah, Vindy's a tank when camping, as long as he's got a hitman to do the real heavy lifting for him (KE senny).

• Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is my shocked face: :rotate:

admanb on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Long live ibodger.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    MuksMuks Registered User regular
    Kinda shitty to wait till the proposed release day to tell us.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    They were probably waiting until the last minute, hoping they could still get it out the door.

• Options
    TamwulfTamwulf Registered User regular
    Much like another game company, PP won't release anything until it's done. In this case, a lot of features got added after feedback from the player base, and maybe, just maybe, it's taking them longer to get those features added into the War Room then they thought it would.

I'd rather PP delay the War Room a couple months and have a polished, solid software product with all the features incorporated into the release, then have us, the consumer, be "beta testers" and have a new version a month after the release date with all the bugs and features added into it later.

The War Room will be awesome! Be patient!

Witty Comments Require No Explanation,
    Sarcasm Allows None.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking about getting started with hordes, after getting slightly over-saturated with GW stuff. Trollbloods are looking pretty appealing to me, Angus and the bazooka sgt. in particular. Which units will really take advantage if those two, and which ones won't?

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    In terms of beasts, you'll want a Bomber and a Blitzer for heavies (at least one Bomber, anyway), and at least one Impaler for lights. Pyre and Swamp Trolls wouldn't be bad additions either. For troops I'm less familiar, but I expect that Pyg Bushwhackers and Scattergunners with the UA would probably be good choices. The War Wagon might be good with them too.

• Options
    Highly recommend the Bomber, Impaler, and Pyre or Slag trolls. You can take 'em in various directions strategically, so it's all you. Sounds like you find the military/guns aspect of trollbloods appealing, so I'd recommend scattergunners with their UA, pyg burrowers, fennblades, and probably a fell caller hero. However, Gunnbjorn and Grim don't have to be played with ranged armies. For a different flavor, pick up the Earthborn Dire Troll and the Kriel Stone Bearer unit to back your fennblades up. The character warbeast Rok is also worth considering, because he works well with both Gunnbjorn and Grim.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Doublepost.

TheConstantWay on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    I would highly suggest [all of the troll beasts]

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Maybe not the winter.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    I'll give you that one, but only because it costs more than it should.

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Yeah, he's not terrible, just not something I usually recommend. I even like his guitar hero pose.

• Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    Get the Trollblood starter! It has a fun warlock and two really useful warbeasts for virtually any list, including those two warlocks.

• Options
    Get the Trollblood starter! It has a fun warlock and two really useful warbeasts for virtually any list, including those two warlocks.

Except it has two impalers. I suppose with those two casters he's specifically interested in two Impalers are ok, but even then it's uncommon to take more than one. And there's no heavies, which is disappointing.

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Khador 25pt list your thoughts?
    Butcher of Khardov +6
    2 Juggernauts 14pts
    10 Iron Fang Pikemen 8pt
    5 Man O War Shocktroopers 9pts

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Butcher of Khardov +6
    2 Juggernauts 14pts
    10 Iron Fang Pikemen 8pt
    It lacks ranged attacks! Things with SPD debuffs or rough terrain effects will give you fits. I'd drop the Shocktroopers, stick an officer and standard on the Iron Fangs, upgrade one of those Juggernauts into a Destroyer and throw in some Widowmakers and a War Dog! It would look like this:
    Butcher of Khardov +6
    Juggernaut 7pts
    Destroyer 9pts
    10 Iron Fang Pikemen 8pts
    Iron Fang Officer and Standard 2pts
    Widowmakers 4pts
    War Dog 1pt
    This will be much more flexible, giving you a mix of ranged and melee threats.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    1. Oh my god Nemo I thought I had repressed the memory of that avatar/signature how will I sleep

2. I'm entering a Highlander tournament, where you take 1 caster/1 unit/1 solo and fill out the rest of the (35, in this case) points with warjacks. Does anybody have advice for this format? Here's what I whipped up:
    EHaley
    -Lancer
    -Ironclad
    -Defender
    -Stormclad

10 Sword Knights

Strangewayes

Butcher of Khardov +6
    2 Juggernauts 14pts
    10 Iron Fang Pikemen 8pt

It seems a bit slow-my gut says you'll do well against other melee-centric lists but might get hosed by any sort of run and gun list.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    For Cygnar Highlander I would just take eCaine all day. Very few lists will be able to shut your assassination run down with their meager supply of models. With eHaley I would build a ranged power list with a bullet. So Nyss/ATGM and then a bonded Stormclad + Defender or Minutemen.

The solo should probably just be Squire all day erry day.

admanb on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    A friend of mine is looking at Circle. Any tips for where he should start? He likes the way the models look, and he's aware that they're usually a finesse faction. I've heard that the warpack isn't the best value. What would be a good substitute?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    The warpack is pretty bad. pKaya, pBaldur, and pKrueger are all good casters to start with, but it really depends on what he likes and most likely depends on what warbeasts he thinks are the coolest.

admanb on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Stay away from Circle if your local meta favors the attrition game and has heavy amounts of Protectorate and Legion in particular. Khador is bad too, but they're manageable.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    pBaldar is certainly the easiest Circle warlock to learn with.

• Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dino-czar wrote: »
    pBaldar is certainly the easiest Circle warlock to learn with.
    pBaldur is great to learn with, and maybe one of the Kruegers wouldn't be a bad choice either as a first lock.

Beasts wise, maybe a Warden, a Feral, Gorax, and Stalker are a solid backbone to any mix of first-time locks.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    Played and lost my first game against Skorne yesterday. It was actually really close. It came down to those moments where you decide on a make or break decision and I broke.

Still, I'm getting pretty confident with eFeora. This was the first time I dropped Wracks out of the list, but I think I'm going to do that more often. Having that extra focus doesn't make too much of a difference if you're running a Heirophant. If I still needed one more point, I'd drop the 'phant and take the Wracks.

I want a Castigator for this list to run something like:

eFeora
    Castigator, Bonded
    Vanquisher
    Reckoner
    Heirophant
    Full TFG + UA
    Min. Cleansers
    Min. Choir

Total: 35

and:

eFeora
    Castigator, Bonded
    Vanquisher
    Reckoner
    Heirophant
    The Covenant
    Full TFG + UA
    Min. Cleansers
    Min. Cleansers
    Min. Choir
    Full Bastions

Total: 50

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Why would you bond the Castigator? All its attacks cause fire already, and I can't ever see a good reason to give it 4 focus. I'd put the bond on the Reckoner instead, change its weapon from crit-fire to just fire.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    6 POW 18 attacks? By the time I got to use him, I'd probably throw ignite up just for fun, too. When running three jacks, I tend to play two of them a little more forward than the the third. In my current lineup of Vanquisher, Reckoner, and Redeemer, it's usually been my Reckoner hanging back until the late game. The Castigator seems like it would serve as more of a late game beat stick in that list.

I don't necessarily need more fire vectors between Cleansers, the Vanquisher, and TFG.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    To each their own, I suppose. If you can't do it with 5 POW 18 attacks, either you have a serious dice fail or the thing is just too bloody tough. Honestly, the Reckoner is the jack I really would enjoy being able to give 4 focus to - one for charge and shot, then enough to buy extra swings as needed, or boost as I want.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    To each their own, I suppose. If you can't do it with 5 POW 18 attacks, either you have a serious dice fail or the thing is just too bloody tough. Honestly, the Reckoner is the jack I really would enjoy being able to give 4 focus to - one for charge and shot, then enough to buy extra swings as needed, or boost as I want.

It's more in vs. Hordes situation. I don't like to spread my army out that far to kill all of his beasts. Generally, by the third turn, I have range of his caster or his last beast, and have an extra attack or two will mean the transfers will kill the beast and The Caster will still be able to put down his caster.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    So nobody ever mentioned to me just how spectacular Rorsch and Brine are. I've had these two forever, but never bother to paint/play them. I got the itch to get them done recently, and tried 'em out with my pigmen.

Sure, they can't punch out anything larger than medium base. And yeah, 9 points is kind of expensive for their kind of party trick. But I can't say I care much about those things while I'm laughing my ass off.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dino-czar wrote: »
    So nobody ever mentioned to me just how spectacular Rorsch and Brine are. I've had these two forever, but never bother to paint/play them. I got the itch to get them done recently, and tried 'em out with my pigmen.

Sure, they can't punch out anything larger than medium base. And yeah, 9 points is kind of expensive for their kind of party trick. But I can't say I care much about those things while I'm laughing my ass off.

Yeah, they're utterly fantastic. I always try to squeeze them into my lists if I can, easily the best of the Lessers. They can totally haul ass around the board, and the div.tactics is great for clearing out high-def low ARM infantry.

Would love to see Rorsh go "epic" and become a full-blown warlock for Thornfall sometime, though. +0 beast points, but comes with Brine.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I think Wrong Eye and Snapjaw are probably the best of the lessers, but I think Rorsch and Brine are close behind.

What army/caster were you using them with? I know they work decently in the Protectorate in pFeora lists, since Ignite means they can actually take down heavies and she doesn't have to spend focus on them.

• Options
    I'm excited about trying them with McBane in Highborn. Between AD, souie/diversionary tactics, auto tough, and pig pen their annoyance factor should be off the charts.

• Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Alright, I'm new to the game. Me and a buddy played a little with the starter rules. I've got a few questions.

1) When you cast a spell, you use your full printed Focus, rather than your current focus, right?
    2) It seems like you can only hit people with spells when they're not in combat. When they're in melee it's very difficult. I should be using focus to overcome this by getting an extra die on my focus+2d6 vs Def roll, right?

Counterspin on
  • Options
    Alright, I'm new to the game. Me and a buddy played a little with the starter rules. I've got a few questions.

1) When you cast a spell, you use your full printed Focus, rather than your current focus, right?
    2) It seems like you can only hit people with spells when they're not in combat. When they're in melee it's very difficult. I should be using focus to overcome this by getting an extra die on my focus+2d6 vs Def roll, right?

1) Yes. Generally, "FOCUS" means your printed focus, while "focus" means your current.
    2) Yes. You can also get around this by engaging the target of the spell with the caster, as models the caster is in melee with don't get the DEF bonus. Or, if the target is a member of a unit and the spell affects "model/unit," you can target a model in the same unit but not in melee.

• Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about getting started with hordes, after getting slightly over-saturated with GW stuff. Trollbloods are looking pretty appealing to me, Angus and the bazooka sgt. in particular. Which units will really take advantage if those two, and which ones won't?

If you're plannning on starting with Grim Angus i'd suggest picking up the battle box, Grim and an Earthborn Dire Troll. This gives you a solid 15 point list thats capable of taking on just about anything in the game, it's got a lot of great synergies and it'll teach you about how trolls multilayed buffs work.

From there you can expand with Fennblades with UA for 25 points and work out from there. People will try and tell you to run ranged heavy lists with Grim, but it's kind of a trap, he doesn't directly buff shooting and offers just as much, if not more to melee stuff. I generally run an Impaler and a Bomber with Grim for ranged support, he doesn't need more than that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Okay, I'm just going to ask: Is anyone here Quindraco from the Privateer main boards?

If so, you should know that I don't think your friends actually like you.

If no, am I right in thinking that no one actually likes that guy?

This discussion has been closed.