As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Listening to you guys speak, I think I've come to the conclusion that the hurdle is too big for a newbie to be able to get into anything which can significantly affect my HoM.

Also, I'm at level 4 in Factions and I already have to search for quests (why do they give them out one at a time?) and the monsters are quite difficult.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    eobet wrote: »
    Listening to you guys speak, I think I've come to the conclusion that the hurdle is too big for a newbie to be able to get into anything which can significantly affect my HoM.

Also, I'm at level 4 in Factions and I already have to search for quests (why do they give them out one at a time?) and the monsters are quite difficult.
    I just scored my first two HoM points after a mere ~100hrs in the game. I could have managed to get some earlier if I had started with Eye of The North straight after getting a decent hero build together in Nightfall, but instead I enjoyed the game enough to just *play* it and not translate everything to "can I get a HoM point out of this?".

• UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    All events active. At once. God, I have no idea what to concentrate on first. I'm doing PvP, but it just doesn't seem enough! Should I PvE? OH THE DECISIONS.

Fantastic
  • SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I definitely had difficulties starting out, as the game is so drastically different from other MMOs, but level 4 is awfully early to be experiencing issues already. Heck, probably 75% of the game content assumes you're level 20 (max level), and you should hit that level fairly early in your first campaign. Are you using all your hero/henchmen slots? Having additional bodies helping you fight obviously helps out a ton and the game is designed around having a maxed out party for whatever area you're in (4-8 slots I think depending on the area).

As far as HoM stuff goes, there is a great guide by Bethryn in this thread and Reddit has some really excellent ones (I highly reccommend you read the one called "For the Newest Among Us" or something like that) but like Aldo said, do not fool yourself into thinking you can power through to 30/50 in one weekend starting from zero. I made this mistake and was getting super frustrated until I took my foot off the gas and started approaching it as a longer-term project.

Edit: reddit.com/r/GuildWars/comments/r6ab5/a_guide_for_the_newest_of_us/ . That's the best "truly new to guild wars" guide I've read. Combine it with Bethryn's guide/the gwguru forums HoM guide and you should be fine.

Based on my own experience, the best advice I can give you is to PvP in Jade Quarry or Fort Aspenwood until you can fill out your hero's action bars with what is referred to as 7-Hero Support: gwpvx.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_Player_Support . Obviously you'll then need to go get 7 heroes, which will take some time, but when you do, using this build will get you through 99% of normal mode PvE content no matter your profession. Due to the anniversary faction gain bonus, this will take you no time at all, even if you lose most of your games.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I also have an unded Mad King Thorn mini (green) from my 8th bday if anybody still needs that point for HoM. Willing to part with it on the low end of value to help a guildie out.

I'll drop my guild tonight; for some reason I was all on about needing alliance chat.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If you want to do HoM, I really just recommend playing through the campaigns first, starting with Nightfall. Finishing Nightfall will get you a strong Hero party that you can then do the other campaigns fairly easily with (EotN after NF, then Factions/Prophecies in any order). Just doing the campaigns will net you a fair number of HoM points, and you can get 15+ in short order. It took me about 2 months of fairly solid gametime to get from 15 to 30 HoM and I had the shortcut of an older account (so birthday gifts).

15/30 can be obtained purely through going through content once - http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&details=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA&todo=AAAAAcAAAICAgAgAAgDAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAA - the three campaigns then War in Kryta, plus four Hero armor bits (from one of the challenges, of which two are tuned to solo players).

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    edited May 2012
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I also have an unded Mad King Thorn mini (green) from my 8th bday if anybody still needs that point for HoM. Willing to part with it on the low end of value to help a guildie out.

I'll drop my guild tonight; for some reason I was all on about needing alliance chat.

I still need a rare mini (I'll be getting my unique tonight finishing the black moa stuff), but that one, even at a discount, is way out of my price range. If anyone's got a spare Rurik or Shiro or other (relatively) cheap rare mini lying around I'd love to snag it. I think I can swing around 30k for one.

Also, question: Let's say I earn an oppressor weapon on one character, but don't have a weapon tapestry for that guy yet. Can I transfer the weapon (via the chest) to another character who does have the tapestry, dedicate it, then send it back to the original character for use? I don't see why I wouldn't be able to, but I'd like to make sure before I do it.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Superdupe wrote: »

I still need a rare mini (I'll be getting my unique tonight finishing the black moa stuff), but that one, even at a discount, is way out of my price range. If anyone's got a spare Rurik or Shiro or other (relatively) cheap rare mini lying around I'd love to snag it. I think I can swing around 30k for one.

Also, question: Let's say I earn an oppressor weapon on one character, but don't have a weapon tapestry for that guy yet. Can I transfer the weapon (via the chest) to another character who does have the tapestry, dedicate it, then send it back to the original character for use? I don't see why I wouldn't be able to, but I'd like to make sure before I do it.

Green is unique, gold is rare.

What is this I don't even.
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Incidentally, with a bit of VQing in EotN, and a MDG and Hero's Handbook, you can probably quite easily hit max EotN titles in the next couple of days.

e: Link to my guide is in my sig btw, if you want to check it out. Prices have probably changed a bit since I wrote it, though not by a large margin.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Green is unique, gold is rare.

Ah yes, well. Regardless I still need a rare and if anyone knows of one for a reasonable price I am all ears.

steam_sig.png
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

Depending on how much (as I only have so much plat) I would LOVE this - i cannot get the unique moa mini due ot lacking NF, and it's one of my last major hurdles to clear before starting the armor/weapons grind.

In related news, gold shiro mini get, up to 19 HoM points now!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Does this count as the black moa spot for hom (as in unique)? If so name your price, ill pay it

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

I definitely had difficulties starting out, as the game is so drastically different from other MMOs, but level 4 is awfully early to be experiencing issues already. Heck, probably 75% of the game content assumes you're level 20 (max level), and you should hit that level fairly early in your first campaign. Are you using all your hero/henchmen slots? Having additional bodies helping you fight obviously helps out a ton and the game is designed around having a maxed out party for whatever area you're in (4-8 slots I think depending on the area).

As far as HoM stuff goes, there is a great guide by Bethryn in this thread and Reddit has some really excellent ones (I highly reccommend you read the one called "For the Newest Among Us" or something like that) but like Aldo said, do not fool yourself into thinking you can power through to 30/50 in one weekend starting from zero. I made this mistake and was getting super frustrated until I took my foot off the gas and started approaching it as a longer-term project.

Edit: reddit.com/r/GuildWars/comments/r6ab5/a_guide_for_the_newest_of_us/ . That's the best "truly new to guild wars" guide I've read. Combine it with Bethryn's guide/the gwguru forums HoM guide and you should be fine.

Based on my own experience, the best advice I can give you is to PvP in Jade Quarry or Fort Aspenwood until you can fill out your hero's action bars with what is referred to as 7-Hero Support: gwpvx.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_Player_Support . Obviously you'll then need to go get 7 heroes, which will take some time, but when you do, using this build will get you through 99% of normal mode PvE content no matter your profession. Due to the anniversary faction gain bonus, this will take you no time at all, even if you lose most of your games.

Thanks for the tips and links!

Now I just need a guide on how to use those skills, because so far, they didn't matter. I just get creamed by two nagas on some bridge I apparently need to cross to complete my quest. Still level 4.

I have to admit I don't get why those skills are useful at all (instead of what I thought was useful), and I guess I have no idea how to properly use them.

I really have no idea how to play this game.

I get Might & Magic 2 flashbacks, because that game was also impossible to play without the cluebook by your side (which I think was 300 pages or something... as thick as a paperback).

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Does this count as the black moa spot for hom (as in unique)? If so name your price, ill pay it

The black moa chick is a green (unique) mini, so and unded green would count for that point.

What is this I don't even.
    Yeah I saw the other posts after I posted that.
    Been saving up specifically for that so I should have whatever it costs. Just trying to stay in guild to avoid spamadan.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

It does count as a green, just like the black moa chick.

I don't need to name my price, I think it was up to about 100k on the high end. So on the low end I'd look at 50k or 8 zkeys if you have em. That's with my math and understanding of 13e = 100k = 17 zkeys roughly right now. I'f you're amenable to that, I definitely am. I think I need 166 keys to finish my PvP title.

edited May 2012

I don't need to name my price, I think it was up to about 100k on the high end. So on the low end I'd look at 50k or 8 zkeys if you have em. That's with my math and understanding of 13e = 100k = 17 zkeys roughly right now. I'f you're amenable to that, I definitely am. I think I need 166 keys to finish my PvP title.

@Reg Rysk holy god 50k is a steal. I paid 30k for a gold last night. If you end up not selling it to Kai I'd kill for this, since the black moa isn't an option for me.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207

I don't need to name my price, I think it was up to about 100k on the high end. So on the low end I'd look at 50k or 8 zkeys if you have em. That's with my math and understanding of 13e = 100k = 17 zkeys roughly right now. I'f you're amenable to that, I definitely am. I think I need 166 keys to finish my PvP title
    I have 15 z keys for you and you will take it. Have tons cause om farmin em for money, so im glad to help out.
    lll be around tonight

I'd really prefer to sell it to somebody who isn't able to get a black moa, and I think @Kai_San said he's in that boat. I'm going to make a good deal for guildies if I can, because you guys will probably be helping me to accomplish my goals as well. I mean hey, if you guys want to get in a bidding war and I end up with 1000 zkeys I'm like, cool with that and all.

But seriously Kai spoke up first so probably have to go there.

• OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    Fight to the death. It's the only way. I'll officiate, while in no way using the entire duel as a distraction to buy the mini myself.

• Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    I'm always happy to help folks work on their HoM, provided that you don't get irritated when I inevitably crash over and over. Stupid crash bug.

camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
    Well I'm being told that Kai_San has the ability to get them all so I think I'd rather help out the one who has no opportunity to get it at all.

I plan on doing Sorrow's Furnace tonight for my black moa chick, including all the pre-quests, as I haven't done those. If anyone feels like joining in the fun I'll probably start around 9pm ET. May not get it all done tonight, but should at least get a good start.

steam_sig.png
    Oh if you mean have all 3 expansions yeah I guess? But im only done nightfall so I dont actually have the ability to get a moa chick
    But whatever you wanna do. Im willing to pay whatever it ends up taking for those 3 hom points so ill just have to spam kamadan.

I plan on doing Sorrow's Furnace tonight for my black moa chick, including all the pre-quests, as I haven't done those. If anyone feels like joining in the fun I'll probably start around 9pm ET. May not get it all done tonight, but should at least get a good start.

If I'm on I'll be happy to join, it was pretty easy to solo with h&h, didn't take too long either. Nahka Krustov in game (ES Hammer warrior). I can bring my heroes if you don't have a good set (although I lack good healers, which I usually use the henchies for).

96058.png?1619393207
    Oh if you mean have all 3 expansions yeah I guess? But im only done nightfall so I dont actually have the ability to get a moa chick
    But whatever you wanna do. Im willing to pay whatever it ends up taking for those 3 hom points so ill just have to spam kamadan.

Factions is pretty easy to burn through, it's short (and you can get two titles out of it if you master all the missions). For prophecies, you'd have to make your way into the shiverpeaks to be able to get to the Sorrow's Furnace area, but you wouldn't have to complete the whole campaign to get the chick (plus, you can have people get alot of the other stuff for you besides the character bound items (which is what stymies me, the nesting mats are from nightfall and bind to char, otherwise I could trade for everything else :( ).

96058.png?1619393207
    Sorrow's Furnace is totally runnable from the locations you can get to near Kryta.

If you are able to run the stuff Kai, I would recommend doing it. I'm sure there are people willing to help as well.

Im not able, and the times I have available are random at best. Its why I actually went into this, knowing it was going to be possible to be a single player affair.

I simply do not have the ability to do any kind of group stuff for the most part that takes time dedication. I found that out when we tried to do underworld. When I heard it was going to take over 2 hours, that was simply not time I could say I cannot leave the pc at any point. Because thats something I cant do with my family situation. I felt bad leaving too, only reason it worked out was because we died early.

My current plan doesn't really give me the ability to get factions done on the character that would be able to to the hunt. I have to do factions on a rit to get kurz/luxon armor, so I cant do it again on the main. I prolly wont even do proph, though I might just ninja out Sorrows furnace like you said for the title. But it would prolly be solo unless someone was around when I did it that wanted it. And even then, sometimes I just need to go afk in the middle of those things which is why I have been doing it with heroes solo.

Its fine though, I appreciate the suggestions. I was posting at work, so I didn't see much of the convo I just saw you were selling it and how much it costs. I am more than willing to run to kama for a little while each night offer up 20 zkeys and hope I catch one. Thats how I have HOM planned out.

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is prophecies absolutely awful when it comes to plot progression?
    I don't even know what is going on after I completed one mission, there was a cut-scene with someone taken away or something and after that I was suddenly in the dessert with no directions whatsoever.
    It's quite jarring coming from Faction which kinda had a thread to follow.

steam_sig.png
    I am guild free, so whenever an officer can manage I'd like back in KCHS. :D

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular

I'll get you when I get home, unless someone else does. Name is Tanara Dawnrunner, right?

Im not able, and the times I have available are random at best. Its why I actually went into this, knowing it was going to be possible to be a single player affair.

I simply do not have the ability to do any kind of group stuff for the most part that takes time dedication. I found that out when we tried to do underworld. When I heard it was going to take over 2 hours, that was simply not time I could say I cannot leave the pc at any point. Because thats something I cant do with my family situation. I felt bad leaving too, only reason it worked out was because we died early.

My current plan doesn't really give me the ability to get factions done on the character that would be able to to the hunt. I have to do factions on a rit to get kurz/luxon armor, so I cant do it again on the main. I prolly wont even do proph, though I might just ninja out Sorrows furnace like you said for the title. But it would prolly be solo unless someone was around when I did it that wanted it. And even then, sometimes I just need to go afk in the middle of those things which is why I have been doing it with heroes solo.

Its fine though, I appreciate the suggestions. I was posting at work, so I didn't see much of the convo I just saw you were selling it and how much it costs. I am more than willing to run to kama for a little while each night offer up 20 zkeys and hope I catch one. Thats how I have HOM planned out.

Kai, on the Sorrow's furnace part, it's actually 3-4 quests that each have you go in there and do a part of it, and even the longest ones are only an hour or two (and you can afk like mad in them). Easily solable with heroes, so that you can def do. You'd just need to complete enough factions to get to the hatchery (for the nesting kit) and enough proph to run to SF. However, if you're flush with cash I see them gettting sold in EotN and LA regularly, I've just been unable to afford them as of yet (apparently I should be pvping to get rich!).

96058.png?1619393207
    Geod wrote: »

I'll get you when I get home, unless someone else does. Name is Tanara Dawnrunner, right?

Or Vengeful was Ryske

Oh yeah dont worry, I was able to buy a bone dragon for 135k. It just makes more sense for me and its a huge time saver.

My hom path is now MUCH more clear. This next week will be spent farming zkeys for mad amounts of money, but after that I basically finish EOTN and farm glints till I get all those heroes done. Then I can do factions on my rit (which I have to do to get kurz/luxon armor) and get that done + the two pets. Then buy up my armors, Finish up my protector titles for factions and NF, and run out to Sorrows Furnace to solo that up for 5 titles. Then use the rit to farm mad cash and most likely farm up the mats for vabbian. Finally purchase a few weapons and its over.

If vabbian proves to be too much I can always go for 10 titles, but I kind of abhorantly refuse to prophecies. I think I would rather finish hardmodes for the Nightfall + factions missions for 2 more titles and then just get a few rep titles to be done with it.

Or actually shit, I can just get 2 more armor sets and be done with it like that.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone is on this late/early but could someone try to invite Seres Undor to the guild?

Also how best should I take advantage of this rare occasion?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    It depends what your goals are. If you're just interested in money the easiest way to to farm PvP for zkeys and sell those. If you need faction rep and still want to make a boatload of money you can farm/vanquish areas and save all the anniversary drops. There are 10 types of drops, I believe, so save one bag just for collecting those.

steam_sig.png
    I will participate in any PvE things you guys come up with when around, and when not doing anything will go FA for all the zkeys I can have. ALL THE ZKEYS.

In other news: Wanted quests. I will be supplementing my weapon monument and honor titles/mini collections for additional points. I have 9 to gain and a plan with contingencies. I will be buying up diamonds and putting a list of minis I have in hopes you have extra minis of a cheaper variety I can get and pay you for.

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone is on this late/early but could someone try to invite Seres Undor to the guild?

Also how best should I take advantage of this rare occasion?

Invited :)

• OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    All right Rysk, I've got about 25 zkeys; what's a fair ratio of trade for zkeys to rubies/sapphires? 3:2 seems to follow market value, if one assumes a zkey is 6k and a ruby is 9k.

In other news, I actually have 3 duplicate minis I'd be quite willing to trade for anyone else's duplicates: a Fire Imp, Fungal Wallow, and Raptor. I'll try to get a list of what minis I already have shortly, but let me know if any of those 3 are useful to anyone.

I don't have any duplicate minis but I could use that raptor if you don't mind doing a cash trade.

steam_sig.png