As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I would only watch a LoL game if I could sit in the balcony and Statler and Waldorf it with it someone

for a nonplayer I would assume that spectating a game would be largely unintelligible

I dunno, the finer points yes, but the kill mans and driving people out of lane makes sense. Starcraft is exciting for non-gamers to watch I have heard.

team fights are so chaotic!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I would only watch a LoL game if I could sit in the balcony and Statler and Waldorf it with it someone

for a nonplayer I would assume that spectating a game would be largely unintelligible

I know a lot about LoL but I can barely follow random HoN games. THEY'RE THE SAME DAMN GAME and I can't tell which are the players and which are the minions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQt1KVAQlE

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    also I was talking with someone about this the other day

but spectating or watching a replay is so different than playing

when you're playing you're just like DERP DERP MASH BUTTONS OH GOD

and when you watch you're like, oh man that guy made a really smart move by turning around to fight, knowing he would have enough hp to survive the encounter

Ah, my favorite cognitive bias. Fundamental Attribution Error.

We all do it, I'm not calling you out here. It's like the most natural human instinct for some reason.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    sloth i apologize, it was too gross

it's k dawg, you warned and i heeded

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Oh god I could only imagine.

Like who's going to understand what the hell is going on with like lanes and creeping their first time watching?

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I know a lot about LoL but I can barely follow random HoN games. THEY'RE THE SAME DAMN GAME and I can't tell which are the players and which are the minions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQt1KVAQlE

Try DOTA2 instead, much clearer graphics.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I just make tiny mistakes in my day to day life, and they snowball and become huge mistakes, and when I realize where I am everything is ruined.

That is my life so far.

Here is what I know about life:
    Life is never neat.
    But life is really hard to actually fuck up. Handy checklist when you make a mistake: Is your face scarred? Are you disabled? Wanted for a felony? Do you have a terminal disease or illness? Nope, then you're fine.

I just wish my mistakes didn't translate into complete inability to sustain myself and/or becoming a normally functioning human.

Well, since you're sub-20, you won't actually be a human for a few years anyway. So no worries.

Nah I'm 20. I'll probably continue to be a parasite for another decade at this pace though.

yGxvf.png
    I just make tiny mistakes in my day to day life, and they snowball and become huge mistakes, and when I realize where I am everything is ruined.

That is my life so far.

I am very sure you are exaggerating. You are 20. Nothing is ruined. Nothing is fucked.

Many things are. My life isn't, but so far every attempt at improving it or at least getting it to a state where I'm not a burden has failed because of this.

What kind of mistakes are you making?

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    wait was there a gross thing

steam_sig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So, any of you guys play Firefall? i think i'm gonna try it out tonight for the first time. Anythin i oughta know? i know absolutely nothing about the game.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Oh god I could only imagine.

Like who's going to understand what the hell is going on with like lanes and creeping their first time watching?

Fortunately the good casters do a really good job of explaining the fundamentals pretty much constantly. Rivington is pretty much amazing at this.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The concept of killing enemy minions, even if you don't know what last-hitting is, is pretty ... intuitive. Gold plinking around + Enemy goons / red bars dying

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i don't want to boast but i made basically the best 5 minute lol crash course of all time

also I was talking with someone about this the other day

but spectating or watching a replay is so different than playing

and when you watch you're like, oh man that guy made a really smart move by turning around to fight, knowing he would have enough hp to survive the encounter

Ah, my favorite cognitive bias. Fundamental Attribution Error.

We all do it, I'm not calling you out here. It's like the most natural human instinct for some reason.

Well another thing, particularly when it comes to sports and games, is that much of what you're doing is procedurally learned rather than declaratively learned junk.

Like, you could actually be doing a really smart move, but you're not even conscious of it, you're just doing what you feel like you should do in that situation. You know intuitively what you should do, but you can't explain why outside of the fact that from pure conditioning you know that doing this and this will bring you success.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, any of you guys play Firefall? i think i'm gonna try it out tonight for the first time. Anythin i oughta know? i know absolutely nothing about the game.

Whenever you're in an area with open sky, be sure to watch out for falling... fire...

.... I have no idea. :)

spool32 on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Essentially for anyone too lazy to read the link, if you trip over a rock, you blame the rock or uneven footing or a distracting thing you saw. If someone else does, you think "Wow, that asshole is clumsy." rather than examining for possible functional causes.

This is just the inverse where we do things on instinct while playing LoL and in watching others we're like OH HOW SKILLFUL because they're pro and that's what we expect.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i don't want to boast but i made basically the best 5 minute lol crash course of all time
    i can do better

HOW TO WIN AT LOL IN ONE EASY STEP:

1. DO NOT PLAY LOL.

Elendil on

speak for yourself, scrublord

chu i need this gross story

steam_sig.png
    I think this is why I get thrown off my game when someone on my team is micromanaging and judging each decision. I don't feel free to intuitively play, and I'm really good at that style of play.

all of this LoL talk

but it is wing night with the lady

but that icon is right there

but it is wing night

steam_sig.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i can do better

HOW TO WIN AT LOL IN ONE EASY STEP:

1. DO NOT PLAY LOL.

GREETINGS PROFESSOR FALKEN

I think this is why I get thrown off my game when someone on my team is micromanaging and judging each decision. I don't feel free to intuitively play, and I'm really good at that style of play.

are you saying you need to get in your zone, but they don't let you get in your zone?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

That is my life so far.

I am very sure you are exaggerating. You are 20. Nothing is ruined. Nothing is fucked.

Many things are. My life isn't, but so far every attempt at improving it or at least getting it to a state where I'm not a burden has failed because of this.

Chica, chill. Make an honest effort everyday and things will improve. You know how it works: your problems aren't infinite so do a little bit each day. Hell, if you need some encouragement, think of your most minor problem and fix it quickly. Small victories to get you going.

EDIT: The most minor problem in my life right now is I need to trim my toenails. They're getting long and the sides are turning sharp. Ew. I am going to clip them while I post.

emnmnme on
    Eddy wrote: »
    The concept of killing enemy minions, even if you don't know what last-hitting is, is pretty ... intuitive. Gold plinking around + Enemy goons / red bars dying

Right, but the notion of getting your minions to the tower, and having two enemy champions like standing across from each other appearing to ignore one another wouldn't make lots of immediate sense.

Also, stuff like "why did he suddenly decide to kill that other guy?" and "why'd he stop chasing him for no reason?"

i'm sorry my lol crash course is actually 7 minutes, not 5

spool32 wrote: »

are you saying you need to get in your zone, but they don't let you get in your zone?

<.<

>.>

...yeah.

I found that I didn't get better at life until the weight of my mistakes buried me in a soul sucking tomb of helpless shame, embarassament, and complete impotence. Also fat.

Now I am in my mid twenties and things are looking up up up

steam_sig.png
    On the topic of how to play LoL, Castle and Jay-z are not in agreement.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

That is my life so far.

What kind of mistakes are you making?

Well, for one, hiding my problems from everyone for years and just letting them think I'm lazy made me unable to get almost any learning out of my high school education, which translated into me not getting into a good college.

Then attributing all those problems to another problem I have instead of disclosing my actual symptoms to a therapist made me waste another 3 years of my life, and getting neither problem dealt with.

I make tons of tiny mistakes due to that first problem (ADD) and they've ended in me dropping out of college once and being on the verge of just failing on my first semester this time.

yGxvf.png

This is sort of how I feel, but I do like having a "general" who watches the map and gives very broad commands. So, like, we're working as a team and have some direction, but each of us are free to play in our style.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I really hate the whole "last hitting" thing.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    is that what it sounds like

kill stealing as a game mechanic

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abmB6W1AudI&amp;feature=plcp

I imagine this whole thing is like completely impossible to understand if you don't play it huh?

This is sort of how I feel, but I do like having a "general" who watches the map and gives very broad commands. So, like, we're working as a team and have some direction, but each of us are free to play in our style.

Yeah, for some reason I don't often fill that role in LoL. I do in shooters, because I have a good grasp of spatial awareness while murdering the fuck out of everyone.

It's like, can't you just use the force and feel where everyone is on the map?

That is exactly what it is.

I found that I didn't get better at life until the weight of my mistakes buried me in a soul sucking tomb of helpless shame, embarassament, and complete impotence. Also fat.

Now I am in my mid twenties and things are looking up up up
    What are you up to these days, DUE?

You don't have to last hit in SMNC right? It's just based on like, if you did damage or how much damage you deal to the minions.

I remember it being pretty fun. Having to last hit would probably be really awful in SMNC

twitch.tv/tehsloth

No. If you kill the enemy minion, you get gold. If you do not, but another minion or hero does, you do not get the gold.

Gold is gained through 3 things: last hits on minions, killing enemy heroes and taking objectives (towers, neutral monsters).

In DotA you could "deny" which was killing your own minions so the enemy couldn't, but that led to slower and more boring gameplay apparently.

I find last hitting very relaxing and fun.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

That is exactly what it is.

Last hitting is the worst, it's one of the reasons i don't play LoL anymore.

This discussion has been closed.