As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Thread About Movies

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I saw the Kre O sets for Battleship come into work the other day they do look neat because you get a battleship and attack chopper as some of the sets still i have little to no intrest in seeing the movie. I made fun of the fact in one of the ads before the trailers run they showed more of the anti phone use ads of it's polite use in the theather. I mad fun of it saying updating your facebook to say I piad to see battleship in the theather!.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well I saw the Kre O sets for Battleship come into work the other day they do look neat because you get a battleship and attack chopper as some of the sets still i have little to no intrest in seeing the movie. I made fun of the fact in one of the ads before the trailers run they showed more of the anti phone use ads of it's polite use in the theather. I mad fun of it saying updating your facebook to say I piad to see battleship in the theather!.
    This is partially comprehensible at best.

• Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    So I just watched Ip Man. It is a good movie with some really good martial arts scenes but man is it ever blatant pro-Chinese propaganda or what? Like, pretty much the only thing that has to do with the real guy is the name and that he practiced Wing Chun. Everything else they changed to give it the best possible nationalist message which is really just creepy considering that the modern government is the one that chased him out of the country.

Yeah, he was basically a drug addict who was good at martial arts. The movie is Shaolin Soccer-levels of fantasy.

wait, wait.

Shaolin Soccer isn't a true story?!

I FEEL SO BETRAYED

sig.gif
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    wait, wait.

I FEEL SO BETRAYED

Kung-Fu Hustle is still true, however.

Speaking of which, we need a new Stephen Chow movie.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    wait, wait.

I FEEL SO BETRAYED

Sadly, we already got one, that being Dragonball: Evolution.

Of course that was just him in a producing role, he hasn't done the writer/director/star tri-fecta since Kung-Fu Hustle.

Although, my favorite Chow-driven piece is still God of Cookery.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    wait, wait.

I FEEL SO BETRAYED

Of course that was just him in a producing role, he hasn't done the writer/director/star tri-fecta since Kung-Fu Hustle.

I know nothing about God of Cookery, but the phrase "Pissing Beef Balls" has me intrigued.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    wait, wait.

I FEEL SO BETRAYED

I love the kungfu training in that movie. Two guys posing while the rest beat the shit out of him with chairs.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Peter Jackson says 48 fps is fine, guys, what's the big deal and that "it's similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs" because he is apparently unaware that vinyl is far superior in most ways.

I use frame interpolation on my TV. For a little while, things look smoother and the effect is noticeable, and then after a little while the effect is completely transparent and you just become used to it. If it becomes standard, people will adjust, and in a few years nobody will even remember that this was a thing. There is no rational reason why 24fps is The Best Framerate and anything faster is bad and cheesy.

Remember when HD came out? And it was really good for some things but then people realized that HD made a lot of special effects in movies looks really cruddy because you could now see the faults? Or how CG often has uncanny valley issues when you take it past a certain level of realism? Yeah, this is the same thing. The solution is not to cling to stuttery prehistoric frame rates because they are "cinematic," but rather to push forward and figure out how best to use the new technology. Just like the solution to the uncanny valley effect in CG is not to never progress the technology past Toy Story, but rather to work with the medium until we can get amazing effects that don't make the viewer do a double-take.

I, for one, welcome our new faster-framerate overlords.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2012
    Oh, and Cabin in the Woods was the most fun I've had at the movies in forever. My favorite bit was
    when the pretty, pretty unicorn brutally stabbed a man to death.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    wait, wait.

I FEEL SO BETRAYED

I know nothing about God of Cookery, but the phrase "Pissing Beef Balls" has me intrigued.

They have it up w/ English subs on Google Video:

God of Cookery

The quality is pretty crap, and if you like it you should definitely pick up a DVD copy. They did a small print-run that's Region 1 you can find relatively easily from various Amazon sellers.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Oh, and Cabin in the Woods was the most fun I've had at the movies in forever. My favorite bit was
    when the pretty, pretty unicorn brutally stabbed a man to death.

It's those positively inexplicable moments that will give that movie some serious legs. People will spend years fantasizing about the scenarios they could not possibly have seen. I sure as hell will.

Favorite part?
    Yeah, mermen really are a bitch to clean up after

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    darunia106 wrote: »
    So I just watched Ip Man. It is a good movie with some really good martial arts scenes but man is it ever blatant pro-Chinese propaganda or what? Like, pretty much the only thing that has to do with the real guy is the name and that he practiced Wing Chun. Everything else they changed to give it the best possible nationalist message which is really just creepy considering that the modern government is the one that chased him out of the country.

Yeah, he was basically a drug addict who was good at martial arts. The movie is Shaolin Soccer-levels of fantasy.

Man I didn't know that. I liked that movie too.
    He never actually worked in a coal mine or had a duel with a crazy Japanese general. He worked as a cop before the invasion and after the war the Communists basically chased him to Hong Kong for being rich. Like, the only thing accurate about the movie is his name and that Japan really did invade China and were dicks about it and he wouldn't teach the Japanese Military police kung fu.
    Edit: To clarify it isn't the innacuracies that bothered me though. It is how they changed all this stuff to have a huge pro-China message where he says things like how Chinese martial arts are based on respect and the Japanese can never truly master them and that sort of thing. It comes off as really creepy to basically co opt a real person to make a blatant propaganda movie like that.

Neaden on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

He never actually worked in a coal mine or had a duel with a crazy Japanese general. He worked as a cop before the invasion and after the war the Communists basically chased him to Hong Kong for being rich. Like, the only thing accurate about the movie is his name and that Japan really did invade China and were dicks about it and he wouldn't teach the Japanese Military police kung fu.
    Edit: To clarify it isn't the innacuracies that bothered me though. It is how they changed all this stuff to have a huge pro-China message where he says things like how Chinese martial arts are based on respect and the Japanese can never truly master them and that sort of thing. It comes off as really creepy to basically co opt a real person to make a blatant propaganda movie like that.

Yeah I read the wikipedia article which also pointed out the reason he left for the final time was because of the communist government.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Remember when HD came out? And it was really good for some things but then people realized that HD made a lot of special effects in movies looks really cruddy because you could now see the faults?
    Remember this thing called cinema? Where you have a screen that's much bigger than the ones people have at home? If HD shows flaws in special effects that weren't visible on the screen, then the cinema projector must've been set to blurry as hell. HD doesn't have more detail than actual 35mm film, so it's unlikely it would suddenly reveal flaws in the special effects.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Remember when HD came out? And it was really good for some things but then people realized that HD made a lot of special effects in movies looks really cruddy because you could now see the faults?
    Remember this thing called cinema? Where you have a screen that's much bigger than the ones people have at home? If HD shows flaws in special effects that weren't visible on the screen, then the cinema projector must've been set to blurry as hell. HD doesn't have more detail than actual 35mm film, so it's unlikely it would suddenly reveal flaws in the special effects.

I don't have any studies to back it up, but I'd be willing to bet that people are less likely to notice effects flaws in theater-projected movies than when watching HD blu-ray transfers at home because:
    1) the first time you watch a movie you tend to focus less on the details in the scene, which is often the case when seeing a movie in the theater
    2) things on the screen are possibly tens of feet across; your eye has to move around more and average together the moving parts of the image, rather than being able to capture a fairly large portion of what's going on without refocusing
    3) things on theater screens are literally larger-than-life; I'm psychologically less prepared to recognize a grey potato as a potato instead of an asteroid when it's projected 20 feet across than when it's actually potato-size on my TV

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

This is true.

HD isn't any more faithful than the negative its struck from.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Yeah I read the wikipedia article which also pointed out the reason he left for the final time was because of the communist government.

Well Ip Man 2 takes all the pro-China stuff in the first film and doubles it because those evil british blokes call them mean names and took Hong Kong from them and killed Apollo Creed Martial Law!.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Well Ip Man 2 takes all the pro-China stuff in the first film and doubles it because those evil british blokes call them mean names and took Hong Kong from them and killed Apollo Creed Martial Law!.
    That is kind of depressing. Maybe I'll just skip all the talky parts and just watch the Martial Arts. I really like the style they use for the first movie where it is still very stylized but less so then a lot of modern action movies.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Ip Man 2 has better fight scenes for sure, there's a table top fight that is probably one of the more original things in fight scenes in years, and a really cool fish market fight scene.

found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNxcQlDbv4

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    As soon as they start using wires for anything more than taking hits they lose me. So I still prefer Ip Man over the sequel and think Legend of the Drunken Master has yet to be topped for pure martial arts action.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    48fps over 24fps has nothing to do with HD/SD. 48fps ruins the illusion of the movies. Atomic went into perfect detail about it a little while back.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Peter Jackson says 48 fps is fine, guys, what's the big deal and that "it's similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs" because he is apparently unaware that vinyl is far superior in most ways.

I use frame interpolation on my TV. For a little while, things look smoother and the effect is noticeable, and then after a little while the effect is completely transparent and you just become used to it. If it becomes standard, people will adjust, and in a few years nobody will even remember that this was a thing. There is no rational reason why 24fps is The Best Framerate and anything faster is bad and cheesy.

Remember when HD came out? And it was really good for some things but then people realized that HD made a lot of special effects in movies looks really cruddy because you could now see the faults? Or how CG often has uncanny valley issues when you take it past a certain level of realism? Yeah, this is the same thing. The solution is not to cling to stuttery prehistoric frame rates because they are "cinematic," but rather to push forward and figure out how best to use the new technology. Just like the solution to the uncanny valley effect in CG is not to never progress the technology past Toy Story, but rather to work with the medium until we can get amazing effects that don't make the viewer do a double-take.

I, for one, welcome our new faster-framerate overlords.

No. No!

You have missed the point entirely.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Astaereth wrote: »
    There's always that super long analysis of A.I. that makes you realize that the end is the most horrifying thing ever.

Do you have that? I seem to remember reading something like that but my Google-fu is failing me.

I did find this great two-part video essay, which uses visual motifs to arrive at a neat thematic dissection of the movie. In particular it points out how crucial the "second" ending is to the film's circular narrative.

Thank you for reminding me about AI, so i can rage about its ending anew

override367 on
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    48fps over 24fps has nothing to do with HD/SD. 48fps ruins the illusion of the movies. Atomic went into perfect detail about it a little while back.

It's still something I'd like to see myself. Peter Jackson keeps insisting it really is better, so I'd like to give it a shot.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    There's always that super long analysis of A.I. that makes you realize that the end is the most horrifying thing ever.

Do you have that? I seem to remember reading something like that but my Google-fu is failing me.

I did find this great two-part video essay, which uses visual motifs to arrive at a neat thematic dissection of the movie. In particular it points out how crucial the "second" ending is to the film's circular narrative.

That movie should have ended with
    lil' Haley Joel Osment pleading with the Blue Fairy until his circuits shut down. Roll credits, cue up some Yo Yo Ma cello music and wait for the Oscar nominations to roll in.

But no, it didn't end that way. Did it.

It's still something I'd like to see myself. Peter Jackson keeps insisting it really is better, so I'd like to give it a shot.

I look forward to seeing it myself, too. However, I'm not sure PJ has backed up his claims of it being "better" with anything beyond "it shows much more clarity and decreases motion blur," complaints I'm not sure anyone was accusing cinema of actually having.

I personally haven't ever watched a film and said, "gee, I wish the framerate was more lifelike."

As an aside, I wonder if shooting in 48/60fps requires a much greater degree of lighting, since with the same aperture and input settings the film isn't being as exposed to as much light as it would be at 24fps. Meaning, when factoring all the extra money spent in nationwide projection conversion, the extra work the costume and set design and make-up artists have to put in, and all the extra lighting considerations, shooting at higher framerates is going to be a fairly expensive venture for a return of questionable value.

• HounHoun Registered User regular

lil' Haley Joel Osment pleading with the Blue Fairy until his circuits shut down. Roll credits, cue up some Yo Yo Ma cello music and wait for the Oscar nominations to roll in.

I've been saying that for years. It's almost like, you can "feel" Kubrick pulling the strings in that scene, grinning that maniacal Kubrick grin, then Spielberg punches him out and grabs all the strings and tangles them up.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

I've heard this many, many times. I have yet to see a single person explain why or tell me what that being the ending would mean for the movie as a whole. The only reasons I've ever heard for this are "Spielberg added the rest to Kubrick's original ending," which appears to be factually incorrect, and "the current ending is too sappy", which others have pointed out isn't necessarily true.

And I'm not trying to be confrontational here--I just really would like to understand the other, more prominent point of view on this. Could somebody enlighten me?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm not sure how much that would have improved it looking back, but I think it would have been better.

I just hate the spacerobots with their spacemagic

override367 on
    The ending of A.I. is probably the best part.

It's horrifying, and bleak as hell, and probably the most subversive thing Spielberg has ever done, and all of it drenched in a heavy layer of irony.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Vinyl isn't ever better and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

For me it made everything look like a soap opera. It was terrible.

It's horrifying, and bleak as hell, and probably the most subversive thing Spielberg has ever done, and all of it drenched in a heavy layer of irony.

Yeah, I don't get why people are hating on the ending of A.I. Taken at face value, it's sappy as hell. Read into it though, and it's pretty fucking dark and more than a little disturbing.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Vinyl isn't ever better and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

the only people who think vinyl is better than digital are contrarians and hipsters and I've no time for either.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    I prefer to listen to wax cylinders.

Stephen Foster is the shit.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Yeah, I don't get why people are hating on the ending of A.I. Taken at face value, it's sappy as hell. Read into it though, and it's pretty fucking dark and more than a little disturbing.

Wasn't A.I. the last movie that Stanley Kubrick was working on before he died?

Godfather on
    Godfather wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

A.I. was the last movie that Stanley Kubrick was working on before he died?

Yes.

• RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So a manufactured, but conscious soul, permanently damned to never be able to evolve or be aware of anything more than an infantile desire to be loved, summons his mother from the time void- only to have her permanently die and be removed from the fabric of reality.
    And that's a happy ending?

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    My problem with A.I. is that the ending relies on the Quantum Theory of consciousness. Which is the worst theory of consciousness.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think the most damning criticism of AI is that based on when it came out, how old I was, and my development as a writer and sci fi nerd, it left me with little to no impression all these years later. Fucking Event Horizon effects me more now than that hypertensive self congratulatory wank fest does.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.