As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Obama Administration: Re-Elected! 332-206 (Probably)

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    yeah.

but the Right is going to be going insane. He said the bad R word "Respect"

ohhh the other bad R word. "Responsibly"

Edit:: noooooo He just kinda turned this into a campaign speech. For about 3 sentences.

lonelyahava on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    yeah.

Edit:: noooooo He just kinda turned this into a campaign speech. For about 3 sentences.
    He's running for fucking President. Every speech is a campaign speech, whether or not Democrats want to admit it.

At least he realizes that he should use everything at his fucking disposal to win this; no such thing as common decency in a campaign against lunatics.

• LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    I was in high school when all that Lewenski shit went down. I remember asking what the huge fucking deal was and why I should care who the President is sticking his dick into. It's not like he was the first.

Anyhow, I usually ignore most campaign ads, but I have been noticing a trend. Romneys and his supporters are running ads that attack Obaman. They do not run ads that show Romneys accomplishments. Obamas camp seems to be doing the opposite, mostly running ads highlighting his successes (with some attacks thrown in).

I find that interesting, but what exactly has Romney accomplished anyhow that he can run on?

He signed Massachusetts' health care reform bill. Unfortunately, he can't really run on that because he's criticizing Obama for doing the same thing on a national level.

Yeah, he can't even go with the nuanced position of "Well, it was right for Massachusetts, but not the rest of the country." "Why?" "...because...uh..."

...Y'know, I've heard him say that "not the rest of the country" thing a lot of times, but I haven't noticed: has anyone ever asked him why, and has he ever given a straight answer?

Has he ever given a straight answer, period?

I understand that practice of lying and deceiving the electorate is ubiquitous in any modern democracy and is the hallmark of every political career ever, but it's a philosophy of life to Romney. If you ask him what time is it, he wouldn't be able to give a simple answer - and combining that to his utterly alien sensibilities, he might go on a rant about how he has a lot of friends who make Swiss clocks that cost a fortune.

• LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    It's kind of ridiculous given what Republican Jesus did

Treason is just as bad as lying about cheating
    He did what now? A quick google says he paid Iran to not release the hostages. Is...is that true? Because if so thats super fucked.
    Iran was under an arms embargo. Reagan got them to hold onto the hostages until he went into office, at which point he sold them a bunch of weapons in exchange for letting them go (in violation of an arms embargo). The plan was to then use that off-books money to fund narcoterrorists in Columbia.

It was just the classiest of classy plans.

EDIT: Wrong phrasing.
    That's completely false and sladerous!
    It was Nicaragua.
    You're right, it was Nicaragua.

Sorry, I was, like, seven at the time.

Besides, the Southern American country is "Colombia". D.C. narcoterrorists who were funded by the US government? That's a Bush the First thing.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yeah.

He's running for fucking President. Every speech is a campaign speech, whether or not Democrats want to admit it.

At least he realizes that he should use everything at his fucking disposal to win this; no such thing as common decency in a campaign against lunatics.

Ehhhhhh......

I can agree and disagree with that Than. He could very well have made those same points at a later time, though. It hit a wrong note to me, that's all. This speech was about Afghanistan, ending the war there, changing our strategy, etc. But those 3 sentences about how this will affect the presidential race back home just seemed out of place.

On the other hand, He's the President, as you say, might as well use the pulpit that he's got to it's full advantage.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Look, if you're going to try to look me in the eye and tell me that everything Bush did between 2002 and 2004 wasn't political, I'm going to laugh in your face.

Welcome to American Politics, circa 1800 (and arguably beforehand)

Lh96QHG.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    IOKIYAD

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    IOKIYAD

...What?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    IOKIYAD

Ha, okie dokie smokey.

Look at the sig, yo. That's all I'm going to say.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    But, let's be honest - what's really got the GOP in full butthurt is the simple fact that Obama stole pages from their playbook.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    IOKIYAD

...What?

"It's Okay If You're A Democrat"

which, come on people, Obama issues a status report that says "the war has been hard, but the end is in sight, we'll get through this and then get back to making America great". That is precisely the equivalent of:

Mission-accomplished.jpg

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    IOKIYAD

...What?

which, come on people, Obama issues a status report that says "the war has been hard, but the end is in sight, we'll get through this and then get back to making America great". That is precisely the equivalent of:

Mission-accomplished.jpg

Well, except for the whole "not presiding over a brutal civil war" part.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    IOKIYAD

...What?

Mission-accomplished.jpg

Coincidentally 9 years ago today!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    It's not like Bush. There was no clear plan for withdrawal at that point in time.

I am pretty sure that Obama will bring up Rumsfeld doing Afghanistan 9 years ago if the GOP really starts up on this.

http://articles.cnn.com/2003-05-01/world/afghan.combat_1_provincial-reconstruction-teams-afghanistan-afghan-president-hamid-karzai?_s=PM:asiapcf

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    If Bush hadn't listend to Rummy and Cheney, Afghanistan wouldn't have been so bad.

But he did, and that's why he's a bad president.

Lh96QHG.png
    Look, if you're going to try to look me in the eye and tell me that everything Bush did between 2002 and 2004 wasn't political, I'm going to laugh in your face.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me?

I'm not completely sillyheaded, I know that everything is political. I was simply sharing my opinion/view that some of the end of his speech tonight hit a wrong chord with me.

I get why it was there, I get that it was probably a good move in the long run, but immediate reaction was a bit... eh.

I'm not completely sillyheaded, I know that everything is political. I was simply sharing my opinion/view that some of the end of his speech tonight hit a wrong chord with me.

I get why it was there, I get that it was probably a good move in the long run, but immediate reaction was a bit... eh.

Oh no, not directed at anyone, just a general mockery of the Republican "we shouldn't politicize killing Bin Laden" talking point.

Because if President McPain had killed him, you can bet your bottom dollar that every ad would start and end on "NOUN VERB 9/11 I KILLED THE FUCKER, FUCKERS"

No offense intended, friend!

Lh96QHG.png

Oh no, not directed at anyone, just a general mockery of the Republican "we shouldn't politicize killing Bin Laden" talking point.

Because if President McPain had killed him, you can bet your bottom dollar that every ad would start and end on "NOUN VERB 9/11 I KILLED THE FUCKER, FUCKERS"

Ah. Gotcha!

None taken!

Oh and of course you're right.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Ah. Gotcha!

None taken!

Oh and of course you're right.

Again, they're mad that a Democratic president would have the temerity to take credit for the OBL killing.

You know, like any fucking Republican would.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    yeah, you kinda got to feel sorry for Romney. His one main accomplishment (Mass-care), he can't talk about, so it is kinda unfair that Obama gets to talk about all the things he's done without being relentlessly savaged by the people he's trying to win over.

edited May 2012
    ALTERNATE REALITY AD INCOMING:

What's that, the economy's in the shitter? Sorry, too busy KILLING BIN LADEN -McCain 2012

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    dojango wrote: »
    yeah, you kinda got to feel sorry for Romney. His one main accomplishment (Mass-care), he can't talk about, so it is kinda unfair that Obama gets to talk about all the things he's done without being relentlessly savaged by the people he's trying to win over.

Nah, you really don't need to feel sorry for people who shit their own bed and then have to sleep in it.

Instead you get to laugh and point.

Win-Win-Win.

Lh96QHG.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Please. The world would have been glazed over by now if McCain/Palin had won in 2008. On one hand, under Obama, nothing major gets done due to the crazy right wingers. On the other hand, under Obama, nothing major gets done *by* the crazy right wingers.

I mean, the Tea Party never would be what it is today without the BLACK MAN IN A WHITE HOUSElegitimate questions about the Obama administration.

McCain would've been four more years of Bush, so probably we'd be in a depression by now.

All the worst of the last four years without any of the pluses.

Lh96QHG.png
    IOKIYAD

...What?

Mission-accomplished.jpg

No, it actually isn't. And if you really believe that, I weep for your cognitive capabilities.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If Obama doesn't get to take credit for the Bin laden raid when his opponent in the election called action in Pakistan a mistake, then no politician ever gets to ever take credit for anything under any circumstance.

Half the fucking republicans were taking credit in their districts for stimulus projects when they all voted NO on it for crying out loud, they don't get to bitch about this

To paraphrase John Stewart "Sure it's kind of shitty, but the only reason the Republicans are pissed off is because it's not them doing it"

override367 on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If Obama doesn't get to take credit for the Bin laden raid when his opponent in the election called action in Pakistan a mistake, then no politician ever gets to ever take credit for anything under any circumstance.

Half the fucking republicans were taking credit in their districts for stimulus projects when they all voted NO on it for crying out loud, they don't get to bitch about this

To paraphrase John Stewart "Sure it's kind of shitty, but the only reason the Republicans are pissed off is because it's not them doing it"

Must also suck to have to politicize failure while the other guy politicizes success.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That too, I don't think anyone has talked about anything the Republicans are actually doing for America or have done

"Yeah uh we... almost collapsed america's economy, there's that!"

override367 on
    "We continuously try to roll back reproductive rights where we can..."

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    IOKIYAD

...What?

Mission-accomplished.jpg

No, it actually isn't. And if you really believe that, I weep for your cognitive capabilities.

I think I failed to properly convey my sarcasm. No, they are not the same thing; both were politicized, but one of them was much more restrained and dignified and reality-based.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Sarcasm does not translate well to a text based medium without a lot of help. For example:

Bush Junior was such a good president. Look at all that deficit he didn't leave us with. Yessir.

• nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sarcasm does not translate well to a text based medium without a lot of help. For example:

Bush Junior was such a good president. Look at all that deficit he didn't leave us with. Yessir.

The word "precisely" should have been a cue, but I was fooled anyway.

I'm fond of italics personally, but you can also go the Johnathan Swift route and throw in something absurdly horrible, like cannibalism. ie: "Bush Junior was an excellent president. Thanks to his policy on embryonic stem cell research, I can still get my breakfast from the medical waste at the clinic! No competition with those nasty scientists for delicious Irish fetuses."

I went with advocating for the dehumanization and mass-murder of CIA "enhanced interrogators" in the Banality of Evil thread just now, but that might have been too subtle. My fingers are crossed that if anyone takes me seriously, it'll be to support my modest proposal to exterminate torturers in a glorious pogrom. Because that would be hilarious.

nescientist on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Picture this:
    One day, you get angry at this guy. You run up to him, kick him square in the nuts. You can tell the blow landed true: he cringes, collapses, you see some tears, hear some whimpering. You're pretty sure you have wrecked his testicles for good. You start to celebrate and gloat. Then, full of determination and anger, the guy stands up. He retaliates as if he was never hurt. He beats the shit out of you with punch after punch, kick after kick, and he even grabs some of your friends nearby and kicks their asses too. This beating continues for several years, leaving you crippled and alive, but a bunch of your friends aren't so lucky. As you weep, remembering the time before you started the fight, you see a grin spread across his face. Suddenly, you notice he now has a massive erection, an erection that puts all others around to shame.

Obama is that guy. His erection is Freedom Tower.

• SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

That building is a disgrace. It'll only be the third tallest in the world, and that's counting the pointy bit on top. It's roof is actually lower than the Sears Tower. How can we compete with China when we can't even compete with Dubai?

There was a time when America took dick measuring seriously. There was time when we had ambition. 1776 feet? It should be 1776 stories! I should be able to drop a penny off the roof and have it burn up on re-entry.

If Obama does not publicly denounce this national embarrassment I'm not voting for him.

Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Squigie wrote: »

That building is a disgrace. It'll only be the third tallest in the world, and that's counting the pointy bit on top. It's roof is actually lower than the Sears Tower. How can we compete with China when we can't even compete with Dubai?

There was a time when America took dick measuring seriously. There was time when we had ambition. 1776 feet? It should be 1776 stories! I should be able to drop a penny off the roof and have it burn up on re-entry.

If Obama does not publicly denounce this national embarrassment I'm not voting for him.

Man I wish we had the fiscal irresponsibility to get caught up in a massive dick waving contest over supertall buildings. Designing an insanely tall skyscraper in the UAE was the coolest project I've ever worked on.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Squigie wrote: »

Man I wish we had the fiscal irresponsibility to get caught up in a massive dick waving contest over supertall buildings. Designing an insanely tall skyscraper in the UAE was the coolest project I've ever worked on.

isn't Mecca gonna build an even bigger tower than the one in Dubai? we're really falling behind in the skyscraper waving race. I know most of our major cities have a big office space surplus, but we can fill the space with corn or something until then.

e: ah, Mecca's is still 800 feet shorter than the one in Dubai. we need to do something to catch up, and quick.

dojango on
    You know what we need to do, is get Moonbase Gingrich going and just have the largest skyscraper on the moon.

Lh96QHG.png
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    You know what we need to do, is get Moonbase Gingrich going and just have the largest skyscraper on the moon.

You know the problem with Moonbase Gingrich is- at the first sign of trouble we'd abandon its occupants to die and just build a new one.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular

And they shall raise ill tempered sea bass for nourishment.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

So a two-story structure?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.