As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I always moved the safeties up so that the bar didn't have as far to fall if I released it behind me when stuck at the bottom of a squat. They're nowhere near the bar while I'm in the bottom position. Am I doing it wrong, safety wise?

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh and I dunno if it's been posted before, but I love watching this video. The dude post(ed) on reddit sometimes which is how I found his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFGdpQD_O0

Shit a brick, 4.2 metric tonnes of squats in one set.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Man... I'm not sure I'd be able to keep going once my hearing started to dull. Just such a "fuckfuckfucknono" sort of thing, y'know?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah I've had the tunnel vision and dulled hearing like once in my inconsistent training career. I'm obviously a massive pussy. But I think as you lift heavier, the weights start to have more obvious effects on you, what with the sheer crushing weight of them and all. Plus your mental toughness tends to develop to a point where tunnel vision becomes a normal thing during your training, I imagine.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I want to do a 20 rep squat program so badly. Maybe after running 10 or so cycles of TM. Just gotta keep lifting

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    crazy how solid that dude's form stays at that level of exhaustion

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    20 squats is crazy. Just crazy talk.

Anybody else listen to Iron Radio? I just downloaded a bunch of their back episodes and I'm digging it.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Somebody posted a video of some Hungarian dude doing standing, behind the head overhead BB presses...

Anyway, I think I'll do those at the gym today. They work your traps somethin fierce.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My cousin linked me this video, and honestly... I think this guy is taking the whole V-taper thing a little too seriously. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21EpHRJTT34

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    First day with the new belt was pretty great. It was a light day, so I didn't use it on my squat sets. But squeezing the abs to support layback was wonderful in the press, and 330x5 DL's came up really quickly. I had to set my breath before bending down, but the difference was pretty tremendous.

• Options
    Slider wrote: »
    Somebody posted a video of some Hungarian dude doing standing, behind the head overhead BB presses...

Anyway, I think I'll do those at the gym today. They work your traps somethin fierce.

You talkin' bout this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPxwuGUZBY&t=7s

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Feeling everything slowly become more sore today was fun

second day back is always the worst though

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Watching that guy's traps is hypnotizing

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    He's a got a butt on the back of his neck.

• Options
    Doesn't everyone?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of traps, mine have been getting so sore from my DL's lately. I must finally be improving my DL now that my hammies and traps actually get sore from it, and not just my low back.

Hurts so good.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    So speaking of deadlifts. I can't wait until my lower back is strong enough to stay tight so dead lifts start to stress my hamstrings and gluts. Any other auxiliary lifts I can do to speed up my lower back strengthening?

• Options
    Spherick wrote: »
    So speaking of deadlifts. I can't wait until my lower back is strong enough to stay tight so dead lifts start to stress my hamstrings and gluts. Any other auxiliary lifts I can do to speed up my lower back strengthening?

I recommend deadlifts. However, your lower back is strong enough to stay tight under some weight. If you can't extend under load, it might be because you don't know how to actively extend.

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Romanian deadlifts

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »

I recommend deadlifts. However, your lower back is strong enough to stay tight under some weight. If you can't extend under load, it might be because you don't know how to actively extend.

Any cues I should be using? Right now I think about driving my heels into the ground and thrusting my pelvis to hump the bar. Will have my gf take a video with her iPhone at the gym tonight for a form check and post it

• Options

Any cues I should be using? Right now I think about driving my heels into the ground and thrusting my pelvis to hump the bar. Will have my gf take a video with her iPhone at the gym tonight for a form check and post it

I was taught to take a big breath in the setup position, and in doing so drive and squeeze your chest forwards and down. This sends a wave of extension starting from the upper back all the way down. As for maintaining lumbar extension, can you do so when you squat?

• Options

I was taught to take a big breath in the setup position, and in doing so drive and squeeze your chest forwards and down. This sends a wave of extension starting from the upper back all the way down. As for maintaining lumbar extension, can you do so when you squat?

I do the same thing, suck in a nice deep breath into my gut and hold it while I pull the bar up. Another thing I focus on is to not lift with anything above my waist if I can help it, I drive into my heels and stand up doing the whole 'hump the bar' thing. Seems to work out fine. As for maintaing lumbar extension I seem to be really good at that. I am wondering for the squat if it's fine if I'm getting kinda bent forward as long as my chest and head are still up, for all I know it might be doing that because I'm squatting deeper.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »

You talkin' bout this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPxwuGUZBY&t=7s

Yep. Thanks.

I just noticed that he is using a very wide grip. I did those yesterday with 135#, but I was using a narrow grip.

• Options
    Yes he's using a snatch grip. Makes the lift significantly more difficult.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Yes he's using a snatch grip. Makes the lift significantly more difficult.

Any time I use this grip, I wreck my right shoulder.

Last time it was snatches with a pitiful girly weight. Cool. Least impressive way to possibly injure yourself.

One day I am going to fix my shoulder girdle and start doing the olympic lifts. Just not today.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah some people don't seem to have problems with BTN pressing, some people do.

I've not done any serious BTN pressing, but I know my shoulder mobility isn't fantastic, so I'd rather just keep working on fixing them before doing anything fancy.

The MobilityWOD stuff has been really great at giving me those "ahah" moments. Both the shoulder internal/external rotation stuff, and the hip internal/external rotation stuff.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    This has been a godsend for loosening up my ass (and hips). I've actually been doing it since before I knew mWOD existed, but now I know where to go to get more info.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    This has been a godsend for loosening up my ass (and hips).

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    Saw the URL, clicked anyway.

List Price: $89.99
    Price: $14.03

fucking bargain

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    so this is my main lift numbers right now, i'm looking for a new workout routine that doesn't change every week (been trying to do the kris gethin 12 week trainer but all the random changes annoy me)

bench 145x10 165x10 180x8
    squat 135x6 155x6 180x6 210x6 225x6
    incline bench 115x10 125x10 135x10
    10 minutes on the treadmill before and after workouts, sometimes a little less. usually end up doing 2 miles at the end of the day.
    I weigh 175 pounds and i'm 5'10, trying to cut down to 165-170 and increase my numbers. I'm 23. Still never done deadlift, might go for it tomorrow though. My main objective is to cut and drop the body fat in my stomach, so any workout routine tips to make that happen would be much appreciated.

• Options
    Sorry man, you can't specifically target where you're going to lose the fat. And with us dudes we tend to lose it -last- on the gut. I'm not an expert but maybe have someone here give you some tips on your diet as well?

• Options
    Cutting and dropping body fat is as much a result of diet as it is what you do in the gym. What's your diet look like? And are you doing any cardio or conditioning besides the lifting?

I know a lot of the programs dudes in here are going to recommend will include deadlift. I'm doing 5-3-1 myself and have had really nice steady gains.

• Options
    He did mention hopping on the treadmill before and after his lifting.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I'll start doing deadlift, and my diet is pretty good I think. Usually eggs and potatoes in the morning with orange juice, sometimes just cereal. Turkey sandwhich for lunch or rice with chicken/fish. Chicken salad for dinner. Almond snacks inbetween meals, occasional shake. Might have one cookie every other day or so, I'm not completely 100 percent ultra strict. Hardly ever drink.

I probably just need to be working out harder.

• Options
    Yeah that's why I shouldn't post before 10 am.

• Options
    While we're talking about deadlifting though, I've got a question. My biggest plate doesn't raise the bar up terribly high, though it is more than enough for me to get my feet under the bar. What I'm wondering about is how far I'm needing to go down in order to prepare for the lift, take what this video shows as an example and it's the one I mainly used to try to get an idea of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u899wRnwqs&feature=player_embedded

You see there he only bends his legs slightly to get a grip on the bar? I pretty much have to squat in order to deadlift my bar. Is this just something I'll have to deal with until I have bigger plates? Am I worrying over nothing and crouching that low doesn't interfere with the lift? Yes I do keep my natural curve in my lower back while doing this.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    You may want to look at deficit deadlift videos to get an idea of what your form would/should look more like.

You could get some blocks to put the bar on to raise it up a little if you want.

And if you can find a way, it would be a good idea to take some video of your lifts (at around max effort). Just edit the video to cut out the 30s-2minutes warmup before the lift.

• Options
    Thinking about it I'm realizing I might have been going too deep to get to the bar this whole time. I'll need to just set up my bar today and do a deadlift with just my biggest plates to see or wait until tomorrow since that's a lift day.

When I say my biggest plates aren't really that 'big' I do mean it though, if I were to take a wild guess I'd say they're around 24cm in diameter, close to the size of a cast iron cooking pan.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    I'll start doing deadlift, and my diet is pretty good I think. Usually eggs and potatoes in the morning with orange juice, sometimes just cereal. Turkey sandwhich for lunch or rice with chicken/fish. Chicken salad for dinner. Almond snacks inbetween meals, occasional shake. Might have one cookie every other day or so, I'm not completely 100 percent ultra strict. Hardly ever drink.

I probably just need to be working out harder.

Do yourself a favor, keep a food journal for a few days (get a food scale, use measuring cups/spoons) in order to get a better figure of how many calories (and how much protein, fat, and carbs) you're taking in on a daily basis. I know that before I started doing that, I was grossly underestimating the amount of fat that I took in on a daily basis (and with that, how many calories I was getting).

• Options
    Buddies wrote: »
    You may want to look at deficit deadlift videos to get an idea of what your form would/should look more like.

You could get some blocks to put the bar on to raise it up a little if you want.

And if you can find a way, it would be a good idea to take some video of your lifts (at around max effort). Just edit the video to cut out the 30s-2minutes warmup before the lift.

I actually remembered I'd had my friend record me doing a few deadlifts and took a look at it. The funny thing is it doesn't look anywhere near as low as it feels, so maybe it's just a perspective thing?

This discussion has been closed.