As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Options
    OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    I know there are herds of wild mustangs in Nevada, Cali, and Arizona. Shit, I've been horseback in Ari and saw a stallion and 6 or so mares across a ridge. My quarter was like "Fuck no, I am not going that way" and turned around and hauled ass.

Any "wild" horses in the Americas or elsewhere are descended from previous domesticated breeds that went feral - AFAIK the only true wild horses left are Mongolian Wild Horses, aka Przewalski's Horse, named after this guy who is credited with their discovery.

/The More You Know

also get the Wild Boar.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    If I was handed chili and it had no meat in it, I would have a much more violent reaction than the vegan, so I guess I can understand...

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Fuck, did I miss kangaroo chat? I tend to eat a shitload of roo because we have to shoot them every now and again and I refuse to just let the meat go to waste.

If it's a big old male, I usually make a curry, casserole or stew with them. Chances are if you're buying it from a shop it will be much better quality.

I'm a big fan of roo skewers (kebobs? I dunno what you guys call meat on a stick). It's basically the meat in 2cm-3cm cubes, salt, pepper, rosemary, bay leaves and olive oil. I generally like my meat rare and roo can be eaten nice and red so my skewers go on a moderate to high heat until they're nice and brown.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Why do you have to shoot the roo? So they don't eat all of the grass?

baby_kangaroo.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, eating crops is part of it but probably the more destructive thing they do is laying in it, believe it or not. A mob of roos will trample a lot of crop if they're left to hang out there.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Why do you have to shoot the roo? So they don't eat all of the grass?

baby_kangaroo.jpg

Kangaroos are dicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKf6d0SDv7k

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kangaroos: Bigger Jerks than Swans

Usagi on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Seriously.

Name any animal from Australia that isn't a jerk.

Then someone says, especially the people and we all laugh.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lucky for me I am not an animal! I am a vegetable.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Over wrote: »
    I know there are herds of wild mustangs in Nevada, Cali, and Arizona. Shit, I've been horseback in Ari and saw a stallion and 6 or so mares across a ridge. My quarter was like "Fuck no, I am not going that way" and turned around and hauled ass.

Any "wild" horses in the Americas or elsewhere are descended from previous domesticated breeds that went feral - AFAIK the only true wild horses left are Mongolian Wild Horses, aka Przewalski's Horse, named after this guy who is credited with their discovery.

/The More You Know

also get the Wild Boar.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with Przewalski's Horses, which started my obsession with going to Mongolia, which I still have.

I live closer than ever but the flights are so flippin expensive

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Seriously.

Name any animal from Australia that isn't a jerk.

hey what about...

no

I mean there's...

nope

oh man you're right

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Like at best we have snakes because they try and leave you alone.

Snakes are Australia's least dickish animal.

Snakes.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Do you know there are no wild rabbits in Korea

There are none

Are there rabbits in Australia?

I bet there are.

Rabbits are kinda dicks.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Haha.

Google rabbit proof fence Sandra.

• Options
    This movie seems upsetting

Now I am upset

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about the movie.

I was talking about our actual fence.

• Options
    Do you know there are no wild rabbits in Korea

There are none

Are there rabbits in Australia?

I bet there are.

Rabbits are kinda dicks.

There are. In fact, at the time, the longest fence in the world was built from one end of the country to the other to keep them at bay and the government also intentionally released a potent virus to thin their ranks.

• Options
    It doesn't go from one end to the other! It just goes across WA.

Dave you are both late and filled with misinformation.

• Options
    it goes from

the northern end to the southern end

408px-Rabbit_proof_fence_map_showing_route.PNG

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    This movie seems upsetting

Now I am upset

But it's shot by Christopher Doyle.

• Options
    Look at this guy, trying to tell us about WA. Get back to your shitty beer and even worse rum, Dave. Let the real Australians hand out useful factoids

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So since I have been Albany I can decisively say I've been across Australia?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Guys, guys, leave poor #pipe alone. He's just getting a bit confused, because our state (the best state) is so ridiculously enormous.

• Options
    well

WA's certainly got the monopoly on big mean jerks

tumblr_lk6nxdxaTO1qztwte.gif

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    chicken casserole was superb

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    oh yes, it is now time to make a delicious frittata out of the leftover chipotle salmon from last night

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i need to do something with all of these eggs
    i am thinking i will pickle several dozen

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Here's what I would do: Hard boil the eggs and drop them in pickled beet juice for a few hours (3~4).

Then take them out and make deviled eggs out of em, with whatever deviled eggs recipe you like. I like my deviled eggs with a bit of bacon in the yolk.

Oregon-010-800x533.jpg

Eat em with a martini and enjoy.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    ooo, that is fancy looking
    i didn't like the last beet egg i ate though

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    jalapeno pickled eggs are fantastic in salad

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    or by themselves

jalapeno eggs are great

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Shit, i didnt know the food thread came back. Well ill have something to read at work for the next few weeks.

Okay, i got an easy reciepe request for you guys.

Shoestring Onion rings.

I'm not talking about the cheap ass resturant style mostly batter rings, I mean the delicious crispy, ever so lightly battered things that go on hamburgers and look like there exists an onion so small and perfect that its rings fit onto a pinky finger.

I love onion rings done right but ive always been of the opinion that if you bite into an onion ring, and manage to pull the entire onion out of the fried part leaving only a calorie laden empty shell of carbs then your doing it wrong. you should be able to take a bite, and the onion be crisp enough to break evenly and the shell more of a coating then a thick covering. perfectly seasoned.

What are the best onions for this? is buttermilk mandatory? do you need to pre-soak and what seasoning do you use.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Count ZeroCount Zero Registered User regular
    Maybe I should pickle some eggs, our chickens have gone crazy and layed like million of the things, anybody have a recipe they like ? Also does anybody else have trouble peeling hard boiled eggs ? I am literally incapable of removing the shell without mangling the egg into some hideous monstrosity.

image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38624&dateline=1248802110
  • Options
    Count Zero wrote: »
    Maybe I should pickle some eggs, our chickens have gone crazy and layed like million of the things, anybody have a recipe they like ? Also does anybody else have trouble peeling hard boiled eggs ? I am literally incapable of removing the shell without mangling the egg into some hideous monstrosity.

while still piping hot, drop them into icy water, fish it out and it should come off easily.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The main thing that makes an egg easier to peel is some age. Older eggs peel easier, and are harder to make fried eggs with, the yolk is more likely to break on you and you get less of that thick white (it converts to thin white). Aside from that, I really like cracking the egg a bit, then rolling it under my hand on a cutting board, tends to help the whole membrane get loose so you can get good chunks of peel at at time. Failing that, just cut the damn thing in half and THEN peel it, just be careful to get the little bits you may have left around the edge.

• Options
    Stale wrote: »
    So I am 90% moved into my new place. The house is right next to a whole foods, a great taqueria, a cajun butcher, a church's chicken, a chicago hot dog place, and an award winning BBQ joint.

That'll do pig. That'll do.

Where are you Stale? a cajun butcher? odd unless your in the south but a chicago hotdog place next door is confusing me.

Also, im curious. Does your Cajun butcher sell Pickled Pork? This is something i have to smuggle back in my luggage with me whenever i visit my family in Louisiana. I cannot find it up here in the Cleveland area. They always think im talking about salt pork and pretend they have never heard of pickled pork. My mother used it in many things...white beans, green pea soup, etc.

• Options
    Marietta, GA just outside of Atlanta Metro proper.

The chicago place is pretty good. There are a half dozen chicago-style places down here, most suck.

And yes they do. They also ship. http://www.cajunmeatcompany.com/

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Holy shit. A de-boned stuffed pig...good god I want this. Looking for local cajun butchers in Portland, not suprisingly, brings up zilch though. It would be awesome to roll up to a day bbq with one of those ready for cooking. Stale, your link tortures me.

• Options
    tumblr_l14i0uy4tq1qbwdexo1_400.gif

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Dat gif

So yesterday when I got home I made bourbon butter pecan ice cream, sour mix for our margaritas, and annatto rice. I also made the base for mint-chocolate chip ice cream using mint from our school's garden annnnd then my ice cream maker wasn't refrozen enough by this morning so there is just a pot of base sitting in my fridge.

Which is doubly disappointing because the base tastes great and now there's not enough ice cream to serve all the party-goers.

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.