As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »
    The Digital CE? I think so, yes. That Lion mount is faster than the Lv40 mount, which costs 210g (A decent chunk), so every character you make saves on that. The necks are nice too.

Also the lion roars and it sounds AWESOME. Plus, no side saddle riding on the lion.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    All these crystals that say "when below 50% HP"... is that my character's HP or the target's? I'm never sure... :?:

• LepLep Registered User regular
    Your HP.

• Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    Finally hit 42 on my warrior and got backstab. verdict: fuckin hilarious.

speaking of,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8BXpZFx_XQ&feature=player_embedded

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    i-5SpGRMQ-X2.jpg

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'll slap the bitch 'outta Gabe.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    He's right though, the questing is formulaic at best. What makes it so tolerable is the awesome gameplay

t5qfc9.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    *Smacks Zzulu with a wet fish*

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    To be fair, I had never even heard of Tera until I saw its booth at PAX. Decided what the heck and gave it a shot, and they gave me a beta key and the Lion. Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I gave it a shot.

My initial reaction was "half-naked ladies, pandering to the teenage boys, check. Formulaic questing, check. Boring tab-click comba...waitaminute!"

I very nearly passed, but the controls are so solid and combat so dynamic that I'm only barely able to overlook those things.

To be clear, combat is the only thing that keeps Tera from being heaped onto the pile of forgettable MMOs (Korean or otherwise).

Also, man, I want to like Michael Hogan, but he makes it really hard in this. His voice is a terrible fit for that character.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Jaenther wrote: »
    Is there a good breakdown anywhere for the different customization options, like crystals and glyphs? Do you have to replace/upgrade glyphs the way you do crystals?

Once you buy a glyph and right-click it, its permanently put in your glyph tab of the skills panel, its greyed out unless you put points into it. If you goto the trainer you can reset those points as well.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    So after playing a couple of hours as a priest last night, the only thing I can say is that this game is a very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting it to be quite this good!

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Re Elin: I came for the trolling, I stayed for the absolutely ridiculous way she runs and jumps. Also that noise she makes when she succeeds at something? I don't even know what thats trying to be, but it makes me grin.

That sir is a PRANCE not a RUN. Gosh.

She also throws up a "V" sign when she succeeds. It's better than the orgasmic noises the female castanic make when they fail at gathering. I have to keep yelling at my leveling buddy to keep that crap to himself.

Err, the Elin make a pretty "orgasmic" sound when they fail at gathering, too. During the OBT I had to delete my Elin because I just couldn't deal with it any more. Would be nice if you could turn those sounds off, though.

edited May 2012
    Beezel wrote: »
    i-5SpGRMQ-X2.jpg

That is epic.

And so true. :(

am0n on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    If SWTOR had TERA combat, I never would have left it.

True Story.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited May 2012
    TERA combat, SW:TOR story, GW Dynamic Events/WvWvW (Republic, Empire and maybe Cartels or something as the three factions).

But that's a pipe dream. And this is the TERA thread.

am0n on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    If SWTOR had TERA combat, I never would have left it.

True Story.

Yeah, that's basically exactly how I feel.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Every MMO should now aspire to have combat systems on par with TERA. If nothing else, TERA has raised the bar A LOT in this area for MMO's so I'm really hoping future developers take fucking notice

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    So I started a sorc last night for shits and giggles.... Damn you tera... Why must every class be fun? :,(

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited May 2012
    To be fair, I had never even heard of Tera until I saw its booth at PAX. Decided what the heck and gave it a shot, and they gave me a beta key and the Lion. Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I gave it a shot.

My initial reaction was "half-naked ladies, pandering to the teenage boys, check. Formulaic questing, check. Boring tab-click comba...waitaminute!"

I very nearly passed, but the controls are so solid and combat so dynamic that I'm only barely able to overlook those things.

To be clear, combat is the only thing that keeps Tera from being heaped onto the pile of forgettable MMOs (Korean or otherwise).

Also, man, I want to like Michael Hogan, but he makes it really hard in this. His voice is a terrible fit for that character.

The surprise about the voice thing is Claudia Black, who definitely isn't an amateur to voice work. Sometimes she nails Freya ( :winky: ) but other times it's almost like she's hamming it up on purpose. Personally, and this is only a guess, I think poor direction is partly to blame. Where whoever was handling these people told them to try their best to sync up with the wacky korean lip movements instead of going for proper tone. The cinematics most likely should have been completely redone. I'm sure this was probably brought up at some point and was probably shot down due to time or budget reasons. EME isn't a very big company.

Beezel on
    I felt this deserved its own post

Apparently I was just contacted by another guild leader from the first page guilds wanting to meet up with me and some of my "Officers" (heh) to discuss the possible banding together of the medium and low pop guilds to combat the more popular guilds( i.e Goons) for the coming election on the Dragonfall server. I was tickled to death by this and thought I'd share it with you guys to get your thoughts. You all are "officers" btw.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Jaenther wrote: »
    Is there a good breakdown anywhere for the different customization options, like crystals and glyphs? Do you have to replace/upgrade glyphs the way you do crystals?

Once you buy a glyph and right-click it, its permanently put in your glyph tab of the skills panel, its greyed out unless you put points into it. If you goto the trainer you can reset those points as well.

And yes, there are some decent guides available. Some glyphs are good for leveling, some for pve or pvp.

Here are some class guides that have been advertised as good:

Lancer Eziel's Lancer Guide

Warrior Nalfen's Warrior Guide

Slayer Xeismik's Slayer Guide Steparu's mini slayer guide

Archer Sedlina's Archer Guide

Sorcerer Delak's Sorcerer Guide

Mystic Karyudo's Mystic Guide

Priest Luciferia's Priest Guide

Priest vs Mystic Dulfy's PvM Comparison Karyudo's PvM Comparison

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    So the first dude I rolled was a Mystic. Just seemed like normal MMO combat since he doesnt dodge or block or anything. I got him to level 10.

Then I decided I will be the great wall of china and make a Lancer! Now I just stand there and smash things, with blocking once in a while. The combos are pretty neat and damaging though. I am sure once I get higher levels blocking will actually matter. He is level 12 and I reached the main city.

QUESTION: How the heck do I extract things and is crafting worth it or no? From the 'help', it says that the there are extraction recipes, but i dont see any at all.

And I would love to auto-dismount when I want to harvest or attack something

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Release day shipping has failed me for the first time D:

Hopefully Amazon gets me my copy of Tera tomorrow :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I had stuck a glyph calculator and crystal guide in the OP, I'll add the rest of these links as well Grouch, thanks. :D

• DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    So I had a great time last night doing a Bastion run with Corrigan and...Ephixistaxis? (I apologize if I've completely mangled your name). Dungeon runs in this are a lot of fun with the combat. So far, I'm definitely feeling this game, moreso than I was at this point for TOR. I've levelled a Berserker to 22 and my Priest is sitting pretty at 20 right now. Shocking Implosion is just...so much fun.

I worry a little bit about people in here warning that the levelling gets hard around 37, though. Does it get slow and grindy, or is the difficulty just ramped up a bit? One of the things that killed me with TOR was Taris; hitting that point with a second character made me drop my subscription off a damn cliff. Especially since I have my Priest, whom I'd probably make my main, but I always worry about the classic "you're a healer, your soloing is going to suck" dilemma that I've seen in other games.

Also, Montague for Fearless Vanarch 2012.

ain't got one
    DiamondGFX wrote: »
    So I had a great time last night doing a Bastion run with Corrigan and...Ephixistaxis? (I apologize if I've completely mangled your name). Dungeon runs in this are a lot of fun with the combat. So far, I'm definitely feeling this game, moreso than I was at this point for TOR. I've levelled a Berserker to 22 and my Priest is sitting pretty at 20 right now. Shocking Implosion is just...so much fun.

I worry a little bit about people in here warning that the levelling gets hard around 37, though. Does it get slow and grindy, or is the difficulty just ramped up a bit? One of the things that killed me with TOR was Taris; hitting that point with a second character made me drop my subscription off a damn cliff. Especially since I have my Priest, whom I'd probably make my main, but I always worry about the classic "you're a healer, your soloing is going to suck" dilemma that I've seen in other games.

Also, Montague for Fearless Vanarch 2012.

As a mystic in the 40s I can tell you that our primary role is healing and they make that abundantly clear. Past the 30s you stop being able to face tank mobs. They hit harder, they avoid or nullify your own attacks, they start interrupting and being gigantic pains in the ass in general. It's doable, but it starts becoming miserable at that point unless you're a tier above gear wise with a decently (+5 or 6) enchanted weapon to the area you're in.

• DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    Also, minor side note, what was decided in terms of using a voice chat server? This thread moves way too damn fast.

ain't got one
    DiamondGFX wrote: »
    Also, minor side note, what was decided in terms of using a voice chat server? This thread moves way too damn fast.

G&T vent
    I added the info to the op

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    What's the policy on alts in WANG? I rolled a Mystic to 14 last night and enjoy it a lot, but haven't yet decided if it's my "main" now.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I felt this deserved its own post

Apparently I was just contacted by another guild leader from the first page guilds wanting to meet up with me and some of my "Officers" (heh) to discuss the possible banding together of the medium and low pop guilds to combat the more popular guilds( i.e Goons) for the coming election on the Dragonfall server. I was tickled to death by this and thought I'd share it with you guys to get your thoughts. You all are "officers" btw.
    I am in both the goon guild and the PA guild so I just don't knooow

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    What's the policy on alts in WANG? I rolled a Mystic to 14 last night and enjoy it a lot, but haven't yet decided if it's my "main" now.

No more than 3, We're not a big guild by any stretch but I want to try and keep that sort of thing reasonable.

edited May 2012

No more than 3, We're not a big guild by any stretch but I want to try and keep that sort of thing reasonable.

Oh hey perfect, this means I can turn /area chat off again. I doubt I'll have more than 3 characters for a good while.
    IDDQD wrote: »
    How are the KBM controls for this? It seems like a perfect fit for a controller, but alas I do not have one.. Is this going to make me go out and buy one (as well as Tera)?

It is significantly better with KBAM. At best the controller setup is adequate, but IMO the game plays much more intuitively with KBAM.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    How are the KBM controls for this? It seems like a perfect fit for a controller, but alas I do not have one.. Is this going to make me go out and buy one (as well as Tera)?

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    So yeah, again, whats everyone spending their gold on? Because I'm close to 40 and it's just sort of piling up.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    Gear, crafting and enchanting most likely. Then there's glyph respecs, cosmetic stuff, rep items.

Added the class guides to the OP

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    So the first dude I rolled was a Mystic. Just seemed like normal MMO combat since he doesnt dodge or block or anything. I got him to level 10.

Mystics have a teleport forward power that is pretty crucial. And getting the hell out of the way is a big part of encounters.
    Then I decided I will be the great wall of china and make a Lancer! Now I just stand there and smash things, with blocking once in a while. The combos are pretty neat and damaging though. I am sure once I get higher levels blocking will actually matter. He is level 12 and I reached the main city.

Yes, blocking is pretty big. Plus having the crystals that allow you to take less damage once HP is below 50%.
    QUESTION: How the heck do I extract things and is crafting worth it or no? From the 'help', it says that the there are extraction recipes, but i dont see any at all.

The extraction scrolls are on the merchants, check out the tabs. The scrolls also have a chance to drop as loot. I haven't really tried extracting materials yet, although I did have a large pile of crap waiting to do so. Crafting can get expensive. I have heard that alchemy might be worth having. Haven't really explored it yet. There were some people saying to collect all the low level drop materials, since you have to buy or alt to farm them later. There is also something where you need to learn certain skills from multiple trainers. Smelt ore from the armor crafting trainer doesn't count against the exact same skill from the sword crafting trainer.
    And I would love to auto-dismount when I want to harvest or attack something

Same here, or be able to speak to the flight master while still mounted.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    Dammit Penny Arcade! I'm close to pulling the trigger on this.. Another question though. If I'm able to run most MMOs at Max settings, am I going to be able to run Tera at Max? It looks gorgeous, but taxing. Although I do recall some initial reactions to the tune of "I cant believe how well it runs". Fact or Fiction?

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    IDDQD wrote: »
    Dammit Penny Arcade! I'm close to pulling the trigger on this.. Another question though. If I'm able to run most MMOs at Max settings, am I going to be able to run Tera at Max? It looks gorgeous, but taxing. Although I do recall some initial reactions to the tune of "I cant believe how well it runs". Fact or Fiction?

It runs really well. If you can run newer mmos at max you shouldn't have a problem. Game runs better than old republic, that's for sure.

Extraction is interesting. It's like, you can level all tradeskills, but cost is a limiting factor. Extraction seems to provide a mechanism for getting processed crafting material (e.g. krysteel bars vs. krysteel ore), and anything that's extractable can be extracted for any raw element (extracting swords for alchemy mats is entertaining). The catch is that since you can only extract an item once, you're effectively bottlenecked in terms of which tradeskills you can level most efficiently.

I think I like that, not entirely sure. What I do know is that at level <30 I've just been extracting everything I can since the vendor resale values are horrendous.

This discussion has been closed.