As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    The story of the beta alone seemed pretty Cliche but they did an excellent job throwing down the
    urahonky wrote: »
    PoolCue wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Tyreal being the last angel who hasn't gone nuts. He's always been such a bro for humanity.

I mean sure Hell might be the dad who beats his kids

But Heaven is the mom who left the baby in a dumpster.

plus it would be nice if at least ONE of blizzard's series didn't have a hero figure getting corrupted/turning evil

Well the Rogue... nope... the Wizard... nope... Arthas... nope... Ah.... Kerrigan..? Bah you're right.

Surely the Dark Wanderer covered this quota for Diablo.

One would hope.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind Tyreal being the last angel who hasn't gone nuts. He's always been such a bro for humanity.

plus it would be nice if at least ONE of blizzard's series didn't have a hero figure getting corrupted/turning evil

Well the Rogue... nope... the Wizard... nope... Arthas... nope... Ah.... Kerrigan..? Bah you're right.

See also: half the villains in WoW.
    Hey now, of the major tier raid bosses in WoW the following were never good guys nor were notorious for using their power to corrupt good guys:

uh...

uuuuuuuuhhhh

well Ragnaros only corrupted the one dude

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Walt wrote: »

See also: half the villains in WoW.
    Hey now, of the major tier raid bosses in WoW the following were never good guys nor were notorious for using their power to corrupt good guys:

uh...

uuuuuuuuhhhh

well Ragnaros only corrupted the one dude

Heh, exactly. The whole "well, he was good, until he went crazy" thing is getting tired.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    "Good" is kind of subjective in a world with multiple factions. I consider Zul'Jin to be a "good guy", but I played on an RP server and ran a guild of viciously xenophobic trolls. Plenty of the raid bosses were "good guys", at one time, if you happen to be a Hordie.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It's what happens when you kill off all your major villains, aren't willing to do a full-on invasion of the uber-power (burning legion and/or titans), and the only major characters you're left with are the good guys.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Vomica on the diablofans forums posted this chart as a reference for how much you can get/how much blizzard gets out of RMAH. The top is for weapons/armor/rings and the bottom is for gems/crafting/pages/dyes/gold.

rs7mlz.jpg

• Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    Did anyone find a way to make the Witch Doctor's sacrifice useful? Sure, using it was cool. But the long cooldown on raising more dogs to be able to use it again kind of killed it's right to occupy a skill slot. Using the passive to have a chance of automatically getting a new dog when an enemy dies proc'd very rarely too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Svevin wrote: »
    Did anyone find a way to make the Witch Doctor's sacrifice useful? Sure, using it was cool. But the long cooldown on raising more dogs to be able to use it again kind of killed it's right to occupy a skill slot. Using the passive to have a chance of automatically getting a new dog when an enemy dies proc'd very rarely too.

Well, I recall that passive was only enemies that die within your gold pickup radius? or maybe it was within radius X, which was increased by +gold-pickup-radius gear. The rune for sacrifice that gives each dog a chance to respawn on explosion would help too. I'm guessing it's a skill that would be more useful once you've got other skills to use in between.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Svevin wrote: »

The WD has a whole bunch of skills and passives which increase your chances of a dog popping up due to some event. It's not just from that one passive. There have been some builds thrown out that take advantage of this. I think there was even a thread somewhere specifically discussing using Sacrifice to its maximum effect.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Did anyone point out the distance map for the OP?
    r3QQr.jpg

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what Blizzard is thinking. It's almost like they want chinese farmers to have a window to the US economy.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Blizzard is thinking. It's almost like they want chinese farmers to have a window to the US economy.

Like they didn't already? They're thinking of letting people from different countries play video games together.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The story of the beta alone seemed pretty Cliche but they did an excellent job throwing down the

Surely the Dark Wanderer covered this quota for Diablo.

One would hope.

Blizzard has those!

They're just boring. Like Jaina. Or Arthas' short dwarf friend.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They're probably thinking they'll sell more copies.

• Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Do you mean they can use a proxy to pretend they are in "The Americas" region? Because South East Asia is not China.

And for the proxy-ing, they do that anyway... nothing is going to stop that short of showing proof of residence to Blizzard, which I don't think they can legally do.

spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't get your objection... you're saying I, as a Brit, shouldn't be able to play on U.S. servers?

The Chinese farmers won't have access to the RMAH, so if they want to sell their wares they'll need to take a more circuitous and difficult route. Hopefully the RMAH will prove a better service and drive their margins to zero, which is the plan.

Edit: I see I misunderstood. Is Indonesia such a hotbed of gold farming though? Maybe it'll become one, who knows!

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Zek wrote: »

Like they didn't already? They're thinking of letting people from different countries play video games together.

Read the small print. Anyone who ventures to a region outside their "Home Region" will not be able to post things on that region's RMAH. They can however post on that GAH. Also items/gold/characters will not transfer from region to region. They want people from different countries to be able to play with each other without having "goldfarmers" come in and exploit the system for money and items.

On another note I remember telling someone that the barbarian is supposed to be the same one from D2. According to the Wiki, which is updated with interview questions and such:
    According to Blizzard, each character has a back story which will be revealed during the course of the game. Originally the male Barbarian was also to be the same one who defeated the Prime Evils in Diablo II and the Lord of Destruction, however this connection has since been removed.

That kind of sucks, I liked that about the Barbarian.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Wouldn't he be knocking on now though?

Leaping and cleaving and shouting is a young man's sport!

World's best janitor
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    All the D2 heroes are now evil. It's Blizzard's rite of passage.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    From what I understand, an unfortunate consequence of china's Internet policies is that there is quite a bit of proxy/VPN use to get around filters. This had made it very difficult to region-lock gold farmers out of MMOs. Of course, due to the Koreans putting the kibosh on the RMAH, they have to at least make some attempt to lock thr Asian region out. Letting people play where they want is nothing but a positive step, I think.

BolognaOni on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    So what you're saying is it came from outer space. That's some Warcraft 3 type shit right there.
    The meteor isn't a meteor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    Wouldn't he be knocking on now though?

Leaping and cleaving and shouting is a young man's sport!

Plus, there's plenty of glory and heroism to go around.

• Options
    I think they removed the idea of the Barb being a D2 vet just because it would require a bunch of story/dialog changes for that character alone. Cain would have to recognize him, as would Tyrael and Diablo and whoever else, and he would be a living legend to everyone, etc. It also wouldn't really be fair to the other classes.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Screw being fair. I wanna hear some throwback dialog between Tim the Mighty Barbarian and Deckard Cain reminiscing their previous encounters.

"Remember that time I told you about the Horadric Cube! ...Mmph, those were good times. Quite a treasure you had there. ...mmph."

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    So what you're saying is it came from outer space. That's some Warcraft 3 type shit right there.

It's a space station.

• Options
    I believe the actual reason was that they didn't want to do extra work to give the female barbarian her own story, while every other class shared the same story between genders.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think they removed the idea of the Barb being a D2 vet just because it would require a bunch of story/dialog changes for that character alone. Cain would have to recognize him, as would Tyrael and Diablo and whoever else, and he would be a living legend to everyone, etc. It also wouldn't really be fair to the other classes.

They could have made him an outcast by chickening out in the Worldstone Keep. That way they turn it into a path of redemption. I mean, which self-respecting barbarian wouldn't flee at the sight of Iron Maiden-casting doom knights and Corpse Exploding stygian dolls? The guy in the opening cinematic of LoD, that's who! And look at what happened to him!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Skab wrote: »

It's a space station.

:^:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey nerds, can you try to contain yourselves with the spoiler discussions for a couple weeks? People clearly have varying ideas about what warrants a tag and I don't want to be putting together the pieces that people didn't deem spoiler-worthy as I'm reading this thread.

• Options
    Hey nerds, can you try to contain yourselves with the spoiler discussions for a couple weeks? People clearly have varying ideas about what warrants a tag and I don't want to be putting together the pieces that people didn't deem spoiler-worthy as I'm reading this thread.

I feel like calling any discussion about the events of Diablo 2 "spoiler-worthy" is 10 years overdue, and any story elements from the Sin Wars novels and Diablo 3 data miners should be locked within at least 3 spoiler tags.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    I dont agree at all with the Blizzard high-heels design for women. I can accept/ignore the sexyfication: less armour for women than men, but wearing high heals for an agile, somersaulting, backflipping ninja just don't work for me.

Similar thing with Kerrigan in SC2: why does she mutate out high heels?

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Kerrigan is Diablo's mother-in-law.
    Wirt isn't a real boy.
    The princess is in another castle.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    r3QQr.jpg
    Wait, what?

Distances are given in yards right?

Either that guy is 18 feet tall, or someone at Blizzard really needs to get back the fuck to school.

World's best janitor
  • Options

I feel like calling any discussion about the events of Diablo 2 "spoiler-worthy" is 10 years overdue, and any story elements from the Sin Wars novels and Diablo 3 data miners should be locked within at least 3 spoiler tags.

What about stuff that can be inferred from the d3 opening cinematic? :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    I dont agree at all with the Blizzard high-heels design for women. I can accept/ignore the sexyfication: less armour for women than men, but wearing high heals for an agile, somersaulting, backflipping ninja just don't work for me.

She wished she was a little bit taller

also that she was a baller.

She used to be a girl who looked good, then zerg caught her

She was a psychic in a pod with a bod

now a 6'4" mauler

• Options

That isn't really a problem in Diablo 3

diablo-3-demon-hunter-class-artwork-small.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Those are actually anisodactyl toes/talons to allow her to grasp firmly to tree branches when she flies. She just chooses to stand on them like high heels because it's sexy. When you're a genocidal human/alien-bug hybrid with blade wings, you need all the help you can get in that department.

• Options

Gotta throw a bone to the green-skinned, demonic winged, caraspace-wearing, Medusa coiffured fetishists.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    r3QQr.jpg
    Wait, what?

Distances are given in yards right?

Either that guy is 18 feet tall, or someone at Blizzard really needs to get back the fuck to school.

I was gonna say that the perspective throws it off a fair bit, but his foot is about 2 yards long. That seems odd.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I know I'm a few pages late, and in the words of MC Chris, y'all don't know me fo' shit, but I'm planning on leveling my artisans at least as high as they can go without tome pages. Playing a survivability/healing monk.

So if you all need anything the first couple weeks, I'll be online pretty regularly. Once I figure out my bnet tag I'll add it to the communal tag hat.

This discussion has been closed.