As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hero Academy] Now on Steam with the TF2 Team! (PA League now actually works!)

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    What team are you playing, Chicken? There are a few different ways to successfully recover from Opponent Upgraded Wraith Syndrome.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, learn something new everyday. Thanks guys!

photo.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Sorry for the sparse moves these last 2 days, I've been doing some traveling for work. Also, I have to report that I am getting my ass handed to me left and right. I suspect some sad results coming in soon.

@MNC Dover, I like that screenshot. Full wraith and 3 healers backing him up... only thing that's really going to threaten you is a sword-upgraded archer or ninja with a scroll, followed up by a nova.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

photo.png

See how nice? :D
    No more eye strain!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    What team are you playing, Chicken? There are a few different ways to successfully recover from Opponent Upgraded Wraith Syndrome.

Listen to this guy... if there's a way to wreck your amazing plans, he'll pull it off!

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671

photo.png

No more eye strain!

Shows how much I use/know about my own technology. I literally only use my iPod to listen to music and play this game. I'm actually glad it's only Wi-Fi or I'd never get anything done. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

photo.png

No more eye strain!

Shows how much I use/know about my own technology. I literally only use my iPod to listen to music and play this game. I'm actually glad it's only Wi-Fi or I'd never get anything done. :D

It's okay, Dover, I was in the same boat until recently. I had to desperately google it after a friend started publicly shaming me with game screencaps on facebook

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Update! Added wonderpug's two wins (GG!) and added new non-League players (Inquisitor and Custom Special).

I'm also going to do some editing on the League instructions page. I'll have to add a "how to take screenshots" tip.

Edit: Done! I used code tags to put the join, challenge and result messages into something you can just copy/paste. Should make things a little easier. Also, I added the tip on making screenshots.

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My friends recently all got into this. It took me a bit to get used to some things (we didn't realize stomping units was really a thing in our first game!). Started to have fun with the game so I plonked down for the dwarves to get rid of the ads mostly. Would anyone be interested in some casual matches? Don't think I'm ready for any kind of league play yet. In game name is Winterflea.

I downloaded the game a couple days ago, but haven't taken the time to try it out yet. I'd be down for some learning games tonight. My game name is F4ll0ut (zeroUT).

I can't seem to get the game to send you a match, maybe try sending one to me?

Man, as a new player going up against Dark Elves is rough. All their units having life leech plus them having a ranged stomp... giving me all sorts of headaches.

My friends recently all got into this. It took me a bit to get used to some things (we didn't realize stomping units was really a thing in our first game!). Started to have fun with the game so I plonked down for the dwarves to get rid of the ads mostly. Would anyone be interested in some casual matches? Don't think I'm ready for any kind of league play yet. In game name is Winterflea.

I downloaded the game a couple days ago, but haven't taken the time to try it out yet. I'd be down for some learning games tonight. My game name is F4ll0ut (zeroUT).

I can't seem to get the game to send you a match, maybe try sending one to me?

Man, as a new player going up against Dark Elves is rough. All their units having life leech plus them having a ranged stomp... giving me all sorts of headaches.

Wait until you face the Dwarves and Tribe. You'll be wishing for the Dark Elves back. :D
    Just kidding. Each race has some stuff that's particularly tough to deal with, but no match is a one-sided stomping.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Inquisitor, I'd say that I'm more familiar with Dark Elf tactics than any other team. If you'd like some tips on how to approach them, feel free to shoot me a game invite (wonderpug). I'm happy to give general strategy tips, too, as we play. You just tell me when to shut up. ;)

Inquisitor, I'd say that I'm more familiar with Dark Elf tactics than any other team. If you'd like some tips on how to approach them, feel free to shoot me a game invite (wonderpug). I'm happy to give general strategy tips, too, as we play. You just tell me when to shut up. ;)

Sounds like a plan to me!

Inquisitor, here's my general thinking on attacking healers (easier to type here than in-game). There are variations on the formula depending on the team, but generally:

My enemy gets three healers.

No healer out: I can knock out (not stomp) or even just injure an enemy unit to fish out a healer. If he doesn't bring out out, then the injured unit either stays vulnerable or has to pop a potion. I either get an easy kill or get my enemy to waste a potion.

First healer out: Now I can knock out or injure that healer, and unless a second healer is in-hand that first healer is going to be in trouble. Potion gets popped, retreats, suicides, or desperate scrolls can happen at this point.

First two healers out: Well now I have to either stomp one entirely, or if they're far from each other, I can make my opponent spend so much time making their healer hike over to the other that it makes the rescue futile, as I just did with you. You both popped a potion and used a scroll to save that cleric, and all I lost was an impaler without upgrades. This is a good trade for me, and sets me up for a stronger mid and end game position against you.

First healer dead: Now we're back to the first two situations, only there's just one other healer in reserve. This leads to one of my favorite situations...

Two healers dead: My enemy only has one healer left. If she's on the field, she has no way to heal or resurrect herself (barring special abilities and items). This results in many desperate measures. I can just take some non-upgraded unit and throw it that last healer for a few hits of damage. Kill off my unit? Now I only need a slight breeze to take the healer out the rest of the way. Use lots of special items to rescue her? Now you've used up those special items on my lowly non-upgraded unit and I can throw another one at you. And (assuming I'm not hurting in the unit count) I can just throw another unit at your poor healer the very next turn.

tl;dr version: that's why my impaler made a kamikaze early bee-line to knock out your cleric. Our scenario: I've lost an impaler and you've lost a scroll and a potion. Good trade for me. Alternate scenario: I could've lost my impaler and made you lose a cleric. Good trade for me. Alternate alternate scenario if you tried to rescue her with your cleric down below and thought you could get away without stomping my impaler: chance I could have used a soul harvest and a scroll to somehow take out both clerics. I've just won the game (possibly).

• DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular

Dwarves.

PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
    Do you have a pulverizer left? The wraith, as high as he can get his hitpoints, has no way of boosting his physical damage resistance other than standing on a defense tile. The pulverizer was scary enough pre-patch, but with the latest patch it's an extra scary wraith hunter, since it both kicks him in the nuts (boku physical damage) and pulls his pants down (removes his soulstone). Without the soulstone, he can't keep himself healed, and thus he can't prance about in your backfield eating units left and right.

!Result for @Jacoby: @Theodore Floosevelt (eelMeetch) defeated @schmads (FallenKwisatz).

Good game! I tend to underestimate crystal damage, and you took good advantage of it :)

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hurrah!

I crystal rushed as the tribe on the teleporter map. First crystal got smashed with some axethrower and warrior bromanship, then started throwing units at the back crystals. The typhoon spell is seriously ridiculous for crystal rushing; I can't believe they get three of them. Or is it four? Schmads started locking down his back crystal down with a pretty-upgraded squad of his elves, but the wave allowed me to push them off and continue to suicide bomb.

Edit to remove the double mention and: a good game indeed, @schmads! I wish I could offer some good advice to defeat Tribe, but I don't have much aside from saying that Shamans should be terminated with extreme prejudice. That was definitely a race against time at the end there; without the tribe's ability to execute the crystals, I probably wouldn't have been able to get enough damage on them before being entirely overrun by that force of yours. :)

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, that typhoon really DOES seem crazy useful at times. You can try to plan for it, but it's kind of crazy that they get three opportunities (I'm almost certain it is 3) to change the position of the enemy units. I didn't think of it when I went to guard my crystal, and I might have had a chance if I had just moved back into place, rather than trying to kill your dudes, but it just messed up any plan I had had.

Shamans and witch doctors (the range 3 mages with corpse explosion, if I got the name wrong) are definitely my higher priority targets. I've underestimated corpse explosion before, and been punished by a good chain, where I killed an enemy, but didn't stomp him. They then blew their own guy up, which downed another one of my guys, who he then exploded, who downed another of my guys. I recently used Typhoon to pull that on someone else, too :D

I think I've only got one league game going now, so I'm open for challengers! FallenKwisatz on HA. I'm also up for non-league games too, as I've gotten myself back on track and am not taking 24 hours to make moves any more (sorry about that).

schmads on
    Inquisitor, here's my general thinking on attacking healers (easier to type here than in-game). There are variations on the formula depending on the team, but generally:

My enemy gets three healers.

No healer out: I can knock out (not stomp) or even just injure an enemy unit to fish out a healer. If he doesn't bring out out, then the injured unit either stays vulnerable or has to pop a potion. I either get an easy kill or get my enemy to waste a potion.

First healer out: Now I can knock out or injure that healer, and unless a second healer is in-hand that first healer is going to be in trouble. Potion gets popped, retreats, suicides, or desperate scrolls can happen at this point.

First two healers out: Well now I have to either stomp one entirely, or if they're far from each other, I can make my opponent spend so much time making their healer hike over to the other that it makes the rescue futile, as I just did with you. You both popped a potion and used a scroll to save that cleric, and all I lost was an impaler without upgrades. This is a good trade for me, and sets me up for a stronger mid and end game position against you.

First healer dead: Now we're back to the first two situations, only there's just one other healer in reserve. This leads to one of my favorite situations...

Two healers dead: My enemy only has one healer left. If she's on the field, she has no way to heal or resurrect herself (barring special abilities and items). This results in many desperate measures. I can just take some non-upgraded unit and throw it that last healer for a few hits of damage. Kill off my unit? Now I only need a slight breeze to take the healer out the rest of the way. Use lots of special items to rescue her? Now you've used up those special items on my lowly non-upgraded unit and I can throw another one at you. And (assuming I'm not hurting in the unit count) I can just throw another unit at your poor healer the very next turn.

tl;dr version: that's why my impaler made a kamikaze early bee-line to knock out your cleric. Our scenario: I've lost an impaler and you've lost a scroll and a potion. Good trade for me. Alternate scenario: I could've lost my impaler and made you lose a cleric. Good trade for me. Alternate alternate scenario if you tried to rescue her with your cleric down below and thought you could get away without stomping my impaler: chance I could have used a soul harvest and a scroll to somehow take out both clerics. I've just won the game (possibly).

Thanks for typing this all out for me, it really does help. I get the feeling I'll be getting a LOT of learning in this game.

Updated with Teddy F. vs schmads game result. Damn, that's a good record so far!

edited May 2012
    My record, on the other hand, is not improving! Luckily, I enjoy this game win or lose, so I'll keep going :)

!Result for @Jacoby: @Golf153 defeated @schmads (FallenKwisatz).

I thought that I had evened things out pretty well, and would have a chance as long as I could draw out a healer or his rocketman (Dwarven superunit) and kill it. Instead, he stuck his healer on the bonus square and used a scrolled rocket to get my crystal down to 90HP. Good game and well won!

Edit: The dwarven paladin ends up being ridiculously hard to kill when upgraded, and Golf used engineering shields to keep me from being able to down any units without sacrifices I didn't want to make. I tried to use a fully upgraded void monk to make something happen, because he can be surprisingly useful, given his mobility, but I was never given a good opportunity, especially with the abrupt (almost) finishing blow.

schmads on
    Jacoby wrote: »
    Updated with Teddy F. vs schmads game result. Damn, that's a good record so far!

I have myself in some sticky situations in each of my three remaining games, though

You know of the epic struggle between Paladin and Wizard

and my game with @DesertChicken in particular just changed from "incredibly tense standoff" to "crash landing"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    schmads wrote: »
    My record, on the other hand, is not improving! Luckily, I enjoy this game win or lose, so I'll keep going :)

I thought that I had evened things out pretty well, and would have a chance as long as I could draw out a healer or his rocketman (Dwarven superunit) and kill it. Instead, he stuck his healer on the bonus square and used a scrolled rocket to get my crystal down to 90HP. Good game and well won!

Edit: The dwarven paladin ends up being ridiculously hard to kill when upgraded, and Golf used engineering shields to keep me from being able to down any units without sacrifices I didn't want to make. I tried to use a fully upgraded void monk to make something happen, because he can be surprisingly useful, given his mobility, but I was never given a good opportunity, especially with the abrupt (almost) finishing blow.

@schmads That was a great game! Also literally my first perfect game with Dwarves. Got a good starting setup, which is so vital. Never over played a unit. Kept trying to AOE the crystals while forcing you to keep healing a dead unit. I figured once I got the first crystal you might suicide a unit for the "rocket man" but you went after my crystals instead. I knew I would only get one turn on that bonus square so I made it count. GG!

Just one more game to finish before I'm rated!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Jacoby
    !Result Brew(loser) vs Grillaface(winner)

What a great game. We were playing on the teleport map. I was tribe. I put a warrior on crystal tile and moved shaman onto teleport. Grilla put his grenadier and paladin in a same configuration on his side. I figured I could use a typhoon to sweep him off the teleport tile, move my shaman over to his crystal tile and get two good whacks for 900 on his back crystal.
    But alas, nope! He moved the grenadier down to the middle attack boost tile and bombarded my team dead. I didn't have a shaman in store to revive...
    Once I recovered enough to take out that grenadier, his next attack came from a Annihilator and I didn't have good offense to clear him out permanently for few turns. Those few turns were wisely used by Grilla to get way ahead in the crystal destruction race to the point where I could not recover.
    GG!

steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
    What's this, I only have 1 game being played?! Time to fix that!!

@Jacoby, I !challenge @Sploozoo!
    @Jacoby, I !challenge @initiatefailure!
    @Jacoby, I !challenge @schmads!
    @Jacoby, I !challenge @DesertChicken!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Challenge accepted, Dover!

So, what's polite conduct when it comes to finishing a league game and re-challenging? Is the loser supposed to challenge the winner to another game, or it just doesn't matter?

schmads wrote: »
    Challenge accepted, Dover!

So, what's polite conduct when it comes to finishing a league game and re-challenging? Is the loser supposed to challenge the winner to another game, or it just doesn't matter?

GLHF!

No hard rule that I know of, but I'd let other people take a shot at the person you just played before asking a rematch. Plenty of others awaiting in the list anyways.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Challenge accepted dover (and custom)!

Just a heads up though to you as well as the people I'm already in games with, sorry for my sporadic play schedule. it's my last week of university classes ever so it's a bit hectic around here.

Challenge accepted dover (and custom)!

Just a heads up though to you as well as the people I'm already in games with, sorry for my sporadic play schedule. it's my last week of university classes ever so it's a bit hectic around here.

No problem. I typically have ~20 games going at a time so it's no big deal. And I know how you feel, school will become hell for me in about 3 weeks.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Just wrapped up my own semester, so I'm about to be stepping up my active game count.

(not to rub it in or anything that I'm already done ;) )

!Result for @Jacoby: @Brew (noguru) defeated @schmads (FallenKwisatz)

Boy, was that an interesting match. I did not get healers for a long time and I was quite sure that I was going to lose this game. Ninja helped to turn it around by just looking so mean! :)

steam_sig.png
    Time for more fun!

@Jacoby, I !challenge @Cmdr_Keen
    and
    !challenge @initiatefailure

steam_sig.png
    Just updated! Looks like things are going great!

I'd say if you are going to re-challenge, that's okay, but make sure to post the challenge when you report the game. Too much of that might be dickish, and we all know the Prime Directive of the forum. :)

• DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    !Result @Jacoby EelMeetch(Lose) vs DesertChicken(Win)

PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
    @jacoby
    !result brew wins vs ToddJewel.

Woot down to 5 games.

steam_sig.png
    I am really starting to dig this game. I love the boardgame vibe that I get from it. I think I may end up plonking down the cash for the other two factions (have Council and Dwarfs right now) so I can try everyone out. Also one of the best ways to learn what a faction can do is to play them.

!Result for @Jacoby: @DesertChicken defeated @MNC Dover

GG! I hate you!
    I don't really hate you. :D

A triple kill by a fully upgraded Dwarven Gunner using a scroll on two Bombers w/attack upgrades and an Engineer. No Paladins to be seen anywhere for healing. No defense against it and no coming back either. One of those perfect situations you only get once every couple of games. Why did I have to be on the receiving end?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    So how does the first turn AP option work? I understand that it is considered most fair for the first player to have 3 AP on their first turn. If I set it to that, how does it work if my opponent still has their AP choice set to 5? If I get first turn I get 3 AP, if they get first turn they get 5?

• SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Bored today...

@Jacoby, I !challenge @ToddJewell!
    @Jacoby, I !challenge @corin7!
    @Jacoby, I !challenge @Golf153!
    @Jacoby, I !challenge @rockmonkey!

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    oops @ToddJewel sorry I forgot about the 3 move opening... will sacrifice 2 moves next turn.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface