As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Namrok wrote: »
    So 7th Guest is free today only. How is that not an instant grab?

I thought I missed out on this because I saw the post was from April 30th, decided to check anyway and saw it's still free. Oh timezones... Definitely picked it up immediately, even though I own it on PC (and it runs in SCUMMVM) and have played it multiple times. Love this damn game. A definite classic. I saw there's also a standalone version of the Microscope game available... I don't know if it's usually free, but it's free today anyway.

Edit: And I should've read to the end of the thread, thanks for the info @skeldare. I wonder if today is the anniversary of the 7th Guest's release or something.

Dranyth on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I wonder if today is the anniversary of the 7th Guest's release or something.

Looks like it originally released on April 28th, 1993.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    The app description says its free today because of the occupy protests. "spend no money today and occupy the mansion"

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    The 7th Guest is awesome.

Helped get me into computer games as a kid.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Which one of those are good though?

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Spoit wrote: »
    Which one of those are good though?

None.

But they're... Free..?

Okay, maybe that's still not a good deal.

minor incident on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Majesty's good. But that was mentioned yesterday.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So Eliminate and Rock Band are dead come the end of this month.

Eliminate makes sense. It's a three-year-old shooter, which is ancient by app store standards, and it's free-to-play. There's probably nobody really paying for this stuff anymore, so keeping up the servers is not profitable.

But Rock Band? Sure, I can see shutting down updates and song packs or whatever. I guess multiplayer if it was online? But they're actually going to release an update that effectively renders your game null. That is some shady shit, breaking your game so we're forced to buy another. How about making your sequel worth purchasing? There's a thought.

I'm generally approving of crap like putting exclusive goodies for non-used and stuff, but this is bogus. Can you imagine if EA uploaded patches to console releases of Rock Band that made the game unplayable? The internet would rise up in a screeching horde of entitlement. And they'd be right for once.

YL9WnCY.png
    I read something implying that they were forced to kill the game due to licensing issues with EA/MTV Games/whoever.

Not sure if that's anything more than a line to cover their asses, but it kiiiiiinda makes sense. I guess?

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    That's a scary precedent we haven't run into yet. With games that are produced, manufactured and distributed physically, if you lose a license who cares. The game is already out in the wild. You can't make a sequel, but you've already made your money, and the game will continue to exists and be playable for people. With games moving towards the cloud, what happens then when you lose the license? I'm suddenly very uncomfortable with all this technological progress we've made.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The precedent so far has been remove it from the market but leave the content there for people who already own it.

For instance there are games on steam you can't buy, but can redownload all you want if you got them when you could buy them.

[edit]
    However I believe there are iPhone apps that have been removed from the marketplace that you had just damned well hope you have a backup for.. (iDOS comes to mind)

Xaviar on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    The precedent so far has been remove it from the market but leave the content there for people who already own it.

For instance there are games on steam you can't buy, but can redownload all you want if you got them when you could buy them.

[edit]
    However I believe there are iPhone apps that have been removed from the marketplace that you had just damned well hope you have a backup for.. (iDOS comes to mind)

I have the Tris app from waay back when the app store was first released, and I believe it was pulled(and still is) for copyright issues. It still shows up as an app that I can install from the cloud.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The Rock Band thing gets even weirder:
    The iOS version of Rock Band could expire on May 31, according to an image, originally posted on Reddit, that has been circulating the Internet today.

The Rock Band app, which sells for $4.99 on iTunes, purportedly says it will no longer work at the end of this month. As of this writing, iTunes has no warning or indication that the application has an expiration date.

In response to Kotaku's request for comment, a representative from developer Harmonix said they don't know why the app gave that notification.

"EA Mobile is responsible for the publishing and hosting of Rock Band on iOS," a Harmonix representative said. "We're reaching out to them to better understand what's happening with the app."

Earlier this year, EA pulled its Tetris iPad app off the iTunes store in favor of a new, enhanced version that customers would have to buy again to get its added updates, such as enhanced resolution for the new iPad.

We've reached out to EA Mobile for comment and will update should we hear anything.

http://kotaku.com/5906971/harmonix-doesnt-know-why-mobile-rock-band-has-an-expiration-date

Then again EA hasn't exactly been shy about pulling the plug on servers for iOS stuff (hell, it killed the latest Battlefield app after just two months), so they might feel the traffic it's generating doesn't justify the cost of the servers.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's a difference between pulling an app from the stores and releasing an update that will cause the game to stop playing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    In theory you can just not take that update right? Still shitty of course.

I reckon utterly illegal as well. Something as important as the fact that this purchase is only for a limited time, in a market with zero precedence for that, really needs to be an upfront bullet point. Hidden in rambling licence agreements won't cut it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    How is apple's policy on update notes? Can you just write whatever you want? Or will the update actually have to say "Press that install update button to never play your game again!" and just hope they nail people who "update all"

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    That's a scary precedent we haven't run into yet. With games that are produced, manufactured and distributed physically, if you lose a license who cares. The game is already out in the wild. You can't make a sequel, but you've already made your money, and the game will continue to exists and be playable for people. With games moving towards the cloud, what happens then when you lose the license? I'm suddenly very uncomfortable with all this technological progress we've made.

Yeah... and that's not even the half of it. Say a company stops updating their game. Down the line it may break due to an OS update and you're simply out of luck. That game is forever broken.

I suspect that at first, issues like this will sneak by unnoticed. I hope however, that this will happen on a very popular app that gets mainstream media coverage. This sets a scary precedent and we can't have publishers being allowed to do this in an all digital distribution future.

Seeing EA pull one game in a twisted scheme to force consumers to buy the sequel is shady business practice of the highest order. It seems almost illegal. If apps aren't actually owned by consumers and are on a timed license, then the publisher needs to put that information up front in the application description. No other industry could get away with providing a limited software license without actually detailing how long the license lasts for.

I suppose this is where the BBB steps in... are there any other official consumer advocacy groups that can take legal action against companies if they're not acting in accordance to the law?

EA upholds it's title as the worst company in North America.

steam_sig.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Yeah... and that's not even the half of it. Say a company stops updating their game. Down the line it may break due to an OS update and you're simply out of luck. That game is forever broken.

This unfortunately is a fact of life in software. It's why Good Old Games even exists. It's HARD running old games on new hardware. Frankly, it falls on the developers of the OS to not break compatibility, not the game developers to attempt to built a solid product on shifting sand. Still, you do what you have to as a game developer. If Apple pulls a bone headed move and unilaterally breaks a whole ton of games with an API change (which I wouldn't put past them) the games that are going to sell best are the games that play catch up the best.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's probably legally viable, because all we have is a license to play the game, and now that license is being universally revoked. That's the thing with not owning things.

I might be 100% wrong, of course, but I had to read a bunch of TOS's and EULA's and they all contemplate that kind of thing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Just cuz it's in the small print doesn't make it legal.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations state that, for an advertised offer to be lawful, the terms of the offer must be clear and conspicuous, not relegated to fine print.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Wikipedia wrote:
    US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations state that, for an advertised offer to be lawful, the terms of the offer must be clear and conspicuous, not relegated to fine print.

Boom.

Bring on the class action lawsuits.

steam_sig.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Wikipedia wrote:

Boom.

Bring on the class action lawsuits.

Wait, do I need to go buy this so I can jump on board when we get to the class action?
    We should all go buy it, have a PA class action party!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    We should make a Class Action Action Camp, perchance?

camo_sig2.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    At best you'd get back the $4.99 that it cost you buy the game, thus leaving you with a free game that doesn't work.

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

This unfortunately is a fact of life in software. It's why Good Old Games even exists. It's HARD running old games on new hardware. Frankly, it falls on the developers of the OS to not break compatibility, not the game developers to attempt to built a solid product on shifting sand. Still, you do what you have to as a game developer. If Apple pulls a bone headed move and unilaterally breaks a whole ton of games with an API change (which I wouldn't put past them) the games that are going to sell best are the games that play catch up the best.
    Stanza worked on 4.2 but not 5+, but then they released a patch that fixed 5, but broke 4.2 and then they stopped updating :(

steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    EA has done this before. There's DLC for the The Saboteur that you can still buy, which won't work because they took down the activation servers.

Goodbye, software preservation.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Apparently Rock Band iOS will still be playable after May 31st, the message was just a mistake.

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/122/1224184p1.html?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
    Update: EA has released a statement regarding a message users received stating that Rock Band on iOS will no longer function after May 31st.

"Rock Band for iOS will remain live - the in-app message users received yesterday was sent in error. We apologize for the confusion this caused. We're working to clarify the issue that caused the error and will share additional information as soon as possible."

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    "We accidentally sent out an ominous message to every user of our game, threatening to take it away from them at the end of the month"?

I guess it's EA, so...

I mean, who hasn't got that kind of email just resting on his or her draft folder...

camo_sig2.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Anybody mention that Waking Mars is on sale and has been updated for the new iPad?

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim is free today. It's a pretty decent port of the pc versions and entertaining.

Definitely worth it. I think I paid $1 for it a while back and enjoyed it. It might feel a little lacking if you're a vet of the PC version but still functions pretty well, even on my tiny iPhone.

So I grabbed this. I'm enjoying it, but how do I get my guys to not wander off and do stupid shit? Like my rangers and mages go off in single groups and just die. Whilst the warriors seem to enjoy going around in a group of 4 and murdering everything. Also, putting a price on the attack flag makes it more likely they will do that goal yea? Then that money gets deducted from my treasury when they accomplish it?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim is free today. It's a pretty decent port of the pc versions and entertaining.

Definitely worth it. I think I paid $1 for it a while back and enjoyed it. It might feel a little lacking if you're a vet of the PC version but still functions pretty well, even on my tiny iPhone.

So I grabbed this. I'm enjoying it, but how do I get my guys to not wander off and do stupid shit? Like my rangers and mages go off in single groups and just die. Whilst the warriors seem to enjoy going around in a group of 4 and murdering everything. Also, putting a price on the attack flag makes it more likely they will do that goal yea? Then that money gets deducted from my treasury when they accomplish it?

At least with your last question, it gets deducted as soon as you put it there. As you're adjusting the price, you can see your money change.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

your only control over the heroes are the flags and the money you put on them, it's deducted from your treasury when you plant the flag., a blue flag will make them more likely to go to that area and a red one to attack, the more money on the flag the more heroes will go to the flag. beyond that just build the upgrade buildings and hope they dont die too much. but rangers natually go off alone to explore any unexplored area of the map, which leads to them dying more than others.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • miyudreamsmiyudreams Registered User new member
    I'm kind of bored of playing the same old iOS games on the Top 10 lists. Any other new suggestions for recent new games? Need your opinion on something addictive and easy to pick up, and can just last for those 2+ hours in major line-ups during the convention, & no Internet connection needed!

I like arcade like games like "Panarchy Fling" with cute graphics and simple gameplay: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/panarchy-fling/id512466101?mt=8

Or just simple music games like "Pulse: Volume One" http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pulse-volume-one/id432667443?mt=8

Thanks

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Have you already played Dungeon Raid?

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

It sounds like you're new to the series, but yeah, sometimes heroes will try and be a little too "courageous" and get themselves killed. This is actually one of my main complaints with the Majesty series (though I still love it) in that sometimes my heroes will be so stubborn to stay and fight to the death, even when they are CLEARLY outnumbered. You can try and keep them alive by using healing or protection spells, and eventually resurrection spells are really handy.

I've always thought Paladins were the best though. They're expensive but they seem to almost always survive encounters. I always went for a Temple of Agrela instead of the other ones to get paladins.

I can't remember if the iOS port does this, but in the PC version there are certain hero types who tend to fight and explore together, increasing their chances of survival.

House of Paincakes on
    edited May 2012
    skeldare wrote: »
    Apparently Rock Band iOS will still be playable after May 31st, the message was just a mistake.

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/122/1224184p1.html?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
    Update: EA has released a statement regarding a message users received stating that Rock Band on iOS will no longer function after May 31st.

"Rock Band for iOS will remain live - the in-app message users received yesterday was sent in error. We apologize for the confusion this caused. We're working to clarify the issue that caused the error and will share additional information as soon as possible."

I'm really starting to get tired of game companies announcing something, then revoking said announcement claiming it was a mistake. The only "mistake" was thinking that you could force your consumers to buy your sequel by removing the original without any consumer lashback.

Regardless of the fact that they've "fixed" their mistake, I still think I'm going to send a letter to the Minister of Consumer Services here in Ontario. A higher authority needs to be made aware of this before it's allowed to get any worse. Companies like EA need to be held accountable for their shady business practices.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Just curious, how are you going to describe their infraction?

This discussion has been closed.