As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I see ComicZeal has Dropbox support. Does it have support for any other cloud storage services? Can someone give a brief description of how Dropbox works with it, and state whether it's worthwhile?

steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    I see ComicZeal has Dropbox support. Does it have support for any other cloud storage services? Can someone give a brief description of how Dropbox works with it, and state whether it's worthwhile?

Dropbox is always worthwhile.

You put the comic file (cbr, cbz) into a folder on your computer, it automatically uploads to the cloud, and you can access that folder while connected to the internet on your iPad.

You can set up subscriptions to comics that automagically drop the finished files in that dropbox folder for you.

Dropbox is awesome.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I almost want to report you as awesome because you managed to extol the virtues of Dropbox for multiple paragraphs without sneaking in a referral link.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    iPad 2 case? Go!

Right now I'm thinking best bet is DODO BOOKback with a Smart Cover unless someone knows about some underground case/cover that's amazing but just doesn't get enough press to know about.
    I like the minimalist style of the smart cover and BOOKback, and want to be able to stand up the iPad for video viewage.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I actually don't like the Smart Cover for standing the iPad up... its too high an angle and only works if you have a nice flat surface to set it on. I got a Wedge-E http://wedge-e.net/ which works really well for sitting it on my lap while in my recliner or on the couch. I was originally concerned that it was too light weight and the foam padding in mine was more flimsy in the front lip than I expected but its worked really well so far and I use it daily.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    iPad 2 case? Go!

Right now I'm thinking best bet is DODO BOOKback with a Smart Cover unless someone knows about some underground case/cover that's amazing but just doesn't get enough press to know about.
    I like the minimalist style of the smart cover and BOOKback, and want to be able to stand up the iPad for video viewage.

+1 to BOOKback + Smart Cover. Great combination.

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    What's a the best iPad (3, if it matters) sleeve case out there? I remember seeing some brand reviewed and talked about a long while before I got my iPad that was suppose to be really good but I don't remember what it is now.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Alright, technical question. I had an iPhone 3G but then switched to Android (regret) and I just got "The New iPad". I have it set to use iCloud to back up to and that's super slick. My problem is that I want to manually move things to my iPad (music, movies) but when I hook it up to my iMac iTunes asks me if I want to set up a new iPad. Therefore I have no way to put anything on my iPad which kind of defeats the point of an iPad. I'm sure I'm missing something but this is really irritating.

I enabled the WiFi Sync, but I can't figure out how to actually sync things, especially if i want to pick and choose and do it manually. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    What's a the best iPad (3, if it matters) sleeve case out there? I remember seeing some brand reviewed and talked about a long while before I got my iPad that was suppose to be really good but I don't remember what it is now.

I have a BOOQ boa skin and it works perfectly well for what I wanted out of it. Not sure how expensive they are normally, but I got mine for $10 with a promo. Not sure I'd pay much more than that for it, though.

steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Picked up an iPhone 4S on Tuesday, after dropping and breaking the phone I had been using for the last five or so years. I have already found myself checking facebook from that even though I was sitting at my computer.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    H*R wrote: »
    Alright, technical question. I had an iPhone 3G but then switched to Android (regret) and I just got "The New iPad". I have it set to use iCloud to back up to and that's super slick. My problem is that I want to manually move things to my iPad (music, movies) but when I hook it up to my iMac iTunes asks me if I want to set up a new iPad. Therefore I have no way to put anything on my iPad which kind of defeats the point of an iPad. I'm sure I'm missing something but this is really irritating.

I enabled the WiFi Sync, but I can't figure out how to actually sync things, especially if i want to pick and choose and do it manually. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Have you selected to set up as new? If not, do it. It's counterintuitive, but that option is really "leave things alone" and shouldn't change anything on the iPad or computer. Then you'll be able to access all the syncing settings. Make sure you have an (iCloud) backup just in case though. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a BOOQ boa skin and it works perfectly well for what I wanted out of it. Not sure how expensive they are normally, but I got mine for $10 with a promo. Not sure I'd pay much more than that for it, though.

I also have the Booq Boa Skin an it's nice. Not worth a lot, but for 20 bucks or less, it's perfect. Otherwise, I love Timbuk2 sleeves for all my devices. They've never let me down and have excellent customer service.

• H*RH*R Registered User regular
    RBach wrote: »
    H*R wrote: »

Have you selected to set up as new? If not, do it. It's counterintuitive, but that option is really "leave things alone" and shouldn't change anything on the iPad or computer. Then you'll be able to access all the syncing settings. Make sure you have an (iCloud) backup just in case though. :)

Wow, you're right, that is incredibly unintuitive. But it worked. Thanks!

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Considering the iphone 4s. It will be my first phone that does more than flip open and make calls&text messages.

Should I go for the big 64GB version or the 32GB version? I don't plan on loading it to the brim with apps and games, but I would enjoy a few geeky science apps and the comixology app (for starters).

Considering the iphone 4s. It will be my first phone that does more than flip open and make calls&text messages.

Should I go for the big 64GB version or the 32GB version? I don't plan on loading it to the brim with apps and games, but I would enjoy a few geeky science apps and the comixology app (for starters).

I can't speak for other people really, but I have a 16gb model. I read comics, listen to quite a few podcasts, and have a ton of music that I use iTunes Match to download on demand. I also have about 20 games, including a couple of huuuuuge 1gb+ games like Dead Space and Infinity Blade.

I'm juuuust now butting up against my 16gb capacity, so I changed the setting in my podcast app to only keep 2 episodes of each podcast at a time instead of 4, and I'm fine again.

I really think 32 is plenty or most people. The exception being if you want to store ALL your music or tons of movies on your phone.

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    The capacity you choose for your 4S will largely be dependent on how much music/videos you want on the thing, if any.

To put things into perspective, I'm using iTunes Match to give my 32gb 4S access to my 55gb music library. I usually have about 16gb of music on the phone.

Beyond that, I have a few bigger games (Chronotrigger, Sonic CD, Final Fantasy), a few smaller games (Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Sudoku, Solitaire, Bejeweled), and a reasonable selection of other apps (another 20 or so... some travel related stuff, some utilities, a few fun music ones, dropbox, evernote, kindle, and more). I currently have about 8gb of free space.

My point: With a few exceptions, apps don't take up very much space. 16gb is loads of space if you don't expect to keep much music or video on the thing. So, to put it concisely:

16gb: Good for loads of apps, a bit of music, and the odd video.
    32gb: Good for loads of apps, loads of music (provided you're using iTunes Match), and the odd video.
    64gb: Good for loads of apps, loads of music (provided you're using iTunes Match), and a decent amount of video as well.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The increasing amount of cloud support (and not just iCloud) is really lowering the incentive to spend the extra money on the larger storage space, in a lot of cases. I've been eyeing the new iPad for a while, but I don't see any reason to go bigger than the 32gb.

KalTorak wrote: »
    The increasing amount of cloud support (and not just iCloud) is really lowering the incentive to spend the extra money on the larger storage space, in a lot of cases. I've been eyeing the new iPad for a while, but I don't see any reason to go bigger than the 32gb.

I actually went with 64gb on my iPad because I use it heavily for comics, and like having most of my music on it. For a phone, I don't really see the need for nearly as much storage.

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    You guys convinced me to go with the iPad. Poasting from it now. It's beautiful.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    So for her birthday my mom got a new iPad, her first iOS device. I'm expecting lots of tech/app-related questions, but so far I'm really impressed; she figured out how to take pictures and email them without any help from me. It really made me think about how much planning it takes to design a good UI; anticipating exactly what people will want and making it easy to figure out how to do it.

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    If you're comfortable with the iPhone and can afford the 4S then I'd say just stick with it. It does everything you're looking for and I'm sure you already have a healthy iOS app library.

If you can try out some Android devices, I suggest doing so before fully committing to the 4S. Maybe something about them will click. Nothing I'm aware of on Android matches the cloud integration you're used to, at least in terms of simplicity, but there are certainly options for cloud storage at the very least. HTC has a deal with Dropbox that gives HTC handset users 25gb of free cloud storage, there's a Dropbox app, and there are apps for a bunch of other cloud services.

Skip the WP7 devices; W8 will be out in the fall and the Lumia 900 (the better of the two) isn't being upgraded to it, and integration outside of Windows isn't as nice as Android or iOS.

EDIT: Forgot about 4G. If you want 4G data, then Android is really your only realistic option for the here and now. The next iPhone will likely be out in the fall (next month or two seems highly unlikely), so if you can hold off until then that's really your best bet. There is no way the next iPhone will not have 4G capabilities. And if you're buying a new phone and entering into a new 2-year contract at this point, you want to get a 4G device regardless of whether your area supports it or not. Chances now are that your area is going to get upgraded to 4G well before your contract is up, especially if you're in a suburban/urban area.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    So I picked up Comic Zeal for my iPad and it's largely been an improvement over ComicBookReader, but I have absolutely no idea how it supposedly works with Dropbox. The iTunes app description mentions Dropbox integration, which leads me to believe that it can access comics stored on a Dropbox account. Is this the case, and if so how do I set it up?

steam_sig.png
    Phones I like and would recommend:

- iPhone 4S (Put my money where my mouth is. Polished, never a slowdown or hiccup, simple, intuitive interface.)
    - Sony Xperia S (Sony's commitment to keeping their phones up to date in terms of Android updates is very encouraging, their overlay is attractive and functional, and their hardware designs are actually original.)
    - Nokia Lumia 800/900 (Absolutely beautiful hardware, excellent ergonomics, and WP7 is a pretty awesome OS. Bit of an unknown quantity in terms of longevity and app support, though...)
    - Samsung Galaxy Nexus (It's a Nexus phone. If you want pure Android, this is your only choice. It's pretty good, but I hate how big it is. The camera is surprisingly mediocre for a flagship phone, as well...)
    - HTC One X (Sense is pretty good. Hardware seems solid. But, again... I hate how big it is)

I'm definitely biased towards the iPhone, but I really think it works best for me. And, for your specific desires (camera, music), I think it is at the top of the pack.

I'm not convinced 4G is worth it just yet. Well, real LTE 4G. The power consumption is still rather high and the network isn't very extensive yet. That will probably change within a year, though. HSPA+ is plenty fast, though... I've never found it even remotely lacking.

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    That's entirely up to you. I went black for my iPad because I do a lot of by screen-light reading in fully dark rooms, and I don't notice the black at all in such light. It's a more seamless, less distracting experience. And I think black just looks better anyway.

EDIT: Reposting this since it was bottom-paged.
    So I picked up Comic Zeal for my iPad and it's largely been an improvement over ComicBookReader, but I have absolutely no idea how it supposedly works with Dropbox. The iTunes app description mentions Dropbox integration, which leads me to believe that it can access comics stored on a Dropbox account. Is this the case, and if so how do I set it up?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    I went with white. My reasoning:

Save the for the screen, you'll never see a smudge or finger print on the device. It also hides scratches much better.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My ex-wife's is white and mine is black, and I find the white border crazy distracting when using it to watch video in the dark...which is 80% of my iPad's usage. I am so OCD about cleaning mine off with a cloth that I never see smudges or prints anyway.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Belated thank you to those providing their experiences with iphone 4/4s. Went with the 32GB and it arrives next week. :D

Prepare to list the required accessories and why you like them. Ear buds, case,etc.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So it's been a few months, but if anyone still has a 1st Gen Nano (black or white), be sure to send it in for the battery recall.

We packed up and shipped out my wife's in the box they sent us, and in return we got a new current gen. Obviously make sure you sync the old one before you send it off. I actually synced and wiped it.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Fingerprints don't show up easily on the black bezel unless you try to look for them by angling the iPad against a light source. I got the black because I figured the white would be more distracting and it's very beautiful and disappears in the dark.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Belated thank you to those providing their experiences with iphone 4/4s. Went with the 32GB and it arrives next week. :D

Prepare to list the required accessories and why you like them. Ear buds, case,etc.

For earbuds, these Etymotic HF3s are a great value. They sound amazing as long as you're listening to your stuff in a decent fidelity (at LEAST 256k). They do go WAY into your ear though, so if that's uncomfortable for you, you might want to look at the white Apple in-ears which are also great for the price, but not quite as good or sturdy.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I wish all electronic devices in the world had a black, matte border around the screen. ALL of them.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I wish all electronic devices in the world had a black, matte border around the screen. ALL of them.

I love matte black for this very reason so much. The redesigned PS3 sold me almost purely because it wouldn't be a dust/fingerprint magnet any longer.

The jerk who invented the "Piano Black" finish should be tried by international courts and then executed.

camo_sig2.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Piano black is really nice to look at as long as it isn't on things that don't involve touching of any kind. So yeah, putting it on cell phones or hand held devices is a terrible idea, but it looks great on speakers.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Cormac wrote: »
    Piano black is really nice to look at as long as it isn't on things that don't involve touching of any kind. So yeah, putting it on cell phones or hand held devices is a terrible idea, but it looks great on speakers.

But even then it gets dusty as the Atacama desert. It's a lose/lose thing.

camo_sig2.png
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Spotify just updated for me, its finaly a proper iPad app.

iOS 5.1.1 is out. I wonder if a different/more accurate battery indicator is included as an unlisted change. I was at 98% battery when I downloaded and installed the update, and after my iPad rebooted I was at 100%. Wasn't plugged into a charger or anything. Weird.

steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Is there some magic combination of settings that will play sounds through my headphones, even when I have the vibration lock on? I want it to be silent/vibrating when I have no headphones in, but when I put the headphones in, play the sounds. Yes I could just unlock it, but a lot of times I forget to relock it when I am at work and pop my headphones out.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling