As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Because naltrexone is a generic drug (in other words, not owned by a pharmaceutical company), it is difficult to secure funds to test the drug.

also lol at how intellectual property works with medicine

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    This day gets better and better. My CCNA funding just got blown out of the water it looks like. God forbid they approve anything "career enhancing"

you won't even make me a status employee

I've given 7 years of my fucking life to federal service, you won't give me status, you're going to let me go within a year, and I can't compete for other federal jobs I am more than qualified for because YOU WON'T GIVE ME STATUS, and God FUCKING forbid you throw a few sheckles my way for some training because you think it might make me too valuable and I'll quit.

Fuck.
    Can you appeal that decision?

No Than. My agency is the bastard child of the government. We're governed under an entirely separate Act (literally) that allows employees to be treated like shit basically.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ooo police officer checking out a car that has been living in the parking lot across the street for about a year.

This ought to be exciting.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    This day gets better and better. My CCNA funding just got blown out of the water it looks like. God forbid they approve anything "career enhancing"

I've given 7 years of my fucking life to federal service, you won't give me status, you're going to let me go within a year, and I can't compete for other federal jobs I am more than qualified for because YOU WON'T GIVE ME STATUS, and God FUCKING forbid you throw a few sheckles my way for some training because you think it might make me too valuable and I'll quit.

Fuck.

No Than. My agency is the bastard child of the government. We're governed under an entirely separate Act (literally) that allows employees to be treated like shit basically.
    Have you started looking for a new job yet?

Seriously, I wouldn't wait out the end of that one. It's going to be way harder to find another job once you're not employed anymore, and if they are left hanging because you live, you can explain to them exactly why in your exit interview. At this point, you owe them nothing.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Internet pharmacists are best pharmacists

but the pay sucks

I chose law over pharmacy. That's how bad pharmacy was.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Surreality is there at least any baseless speculation to how apomorphine could have lasting effects?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    yeah apomorphine is a number of things

it certainly is a dopamine agonist among other things (and its used as a standard way of testing dopamine function via the apomorphine challenge test measuring hgh response) but thats actually pretty shitty for measuring dopamine function soooooooo

however, its effect on addiction (which is again not a 100% sure fire thing, most of the data is way too old and proper new studies are needed) is not analogous to the other d2 agonists tried. borg did some stuff with bromocriptine which is directly analagous - so much so that theyre both used in parkinsons for the same reason - but in large-scale trials it didnt pan out.

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I really want to get the A-10 Warthog simulator on sale at Steam but I know I won't play it anytime soon. I just have such a huge mancrush on the A-10.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Because naltrexone is a generic drug (in other words, not owned by a pharmaceutical company), it is difficult to secure funds to test the drug.

What about a use patent?

businessmen%20laughing%20%282%29-resized-600.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    i was under the impression that literally nothing worked for most severe cases of fibromyalgia

Tramadol works OK, but often causes intense nightmares if you take it near bedtime, sooo... you get to have interrupted sleep from wtfhorror in your brain, or you get to have interrupted sleep from tossing and turning because everything hurts.

Hydrocodone helps OK but is habit forming.

That's pretty much it for things you can be prescribed, though cymbalta amazingly does cut the pain by a lot.

To play internet pharmacist, has she ever tried/talked to her doctor about gabapentin/neurontin? It some cases it seems to work incredibly well.

Ha! Barely beaten by Feral.

No, this is a new one for us.

• Options

What about a use patent?

businessmen%20laughing%20%282%29-resized-600.jpg

Well, drug companies have done just this for things like colchicine and quinine sulfate, and promptly fucked over consumers by jacking the price up.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Fuck.

Have you started looking for a new job yet?

Seriously, I wouldn't wait out the end of that one. It's going to be way harder to find another job once you're not employed anymore, and if they are left hanging because you live, you can explain to them exactly why in your exit interview. At this point, you owe them nothing.

I'm not. I'm doing everything I can but I'm in the nasty position of get a job making what I make or take a paycut and lose my house, sooooooo. I already have some contacts with some I.T. contractors. I have a plan B. Basically if I lose my job I can do contract work in Atlanta until I can find a job. I have a contingency plan. But I'm not going to walk away from a GS-12 job for less money just to lose my house and fuck up my credit. I'm in a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. Which is why I was shocked when I was lead to believe I'd get my CCNA. It combined with my Security+ and Network+ and 7 years of federal experience would have helped the fuck out of my job seeking and value. And it's not like it was my fucking idea.

• Options
    i have batted a few ideas around with various people. at first we assumed it was restoring baseline dopamine function (because of the "conventional result" that, on average, you're looking at roughly 80% of normal dopamine recruitment in addicts), but thats probably not it. it seems to have a very strong anti-anxiety element, and although initially we framed its effects in terms of craving, we later on decided what it was probably doing was making addicts not feel the anxiety that leads to self-medication with their drug of choice - less of a craving reducer, but more of an anxious fix-me-up reducer

the basic problems in setting up a putative mechanism are fairly large:

the drug doesnt last super long in the human body, 4 hours odd
    its a pretty conventional broad dopamine agonist, and if dopamine agonists had this kind of effect generally... wed know about it.
    it hits a lot of other areas, a little bit of gaba and 5-ht, but it is definitely something that acts a lot in the vta and the mscl dopamine system, and again it would be silly to not consider that it might be fiddling with reward/reward saliency circuitry

im quite a fan of the saliency modification idea, but the short answer is we have no fucking clue

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    my head is killing me

discountuation syndrome sucks

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    i was under the impression that literally nothing worked for most severe cases of fibromyalgia

Tramadol works OK, but often causes intense nightmares if you take it near bedtime, sooo... you get to have interrupted sleep from wtfhorror in your brain, or you get to have interrupted sleep from tossing and turning because everything hurts.

Hydrocodone helps OK but is habit forming.

That's pretty much it for things you can be prescribed, though cymbalta amazingly does cut the pain by a lot.

To play internet pharmacist, has she ever tried/talked to her doctor about gabapentin/neurontin? It some cases it seems to work incredibly well.

Ha! Barely beaten by Feral.

No, this is a new one for us.

How about Lyrica?

Lyrica and Neurotin both work on the GABA system though in unknown ways and they tend to work well on neuropathic pain; however the side effect profiles are comparable to CNS depressants - drowsiness, slowed reflexes, dizziness, blurred vision, etc. Not everybody experiences those side effects, but they're pretty common, so you might have to make a choice whether you'd risk a little more "brain fog" in exchange for reduced pain.

Also, this is spoilered for being a scary side effect that only happens in a tiny minority of people:
    Neurotin was in the news a couple of years ago because it also caused an odd behavioral side effect - it increased self-harming behavior. But not out of any known psychological cause. it wasn't like people felt bad about themselves and went to cut themselves. Rather, it seemed to do something to impulse control in some people. People would put their hand on a stove burner or cut themselves with a kitchen knife and not really know why they did it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    my wife takes Cymbalta for her FM. Lyrica didn't help her any. She also takes Tramadol but you have to cycle that because tolerance.

• Options
    Well, drug companies have done just this for things like colchicine and quinine sulfate, and promptly fucked over consumers by jacking the price up.

Yeah, it's almost impossible to get the FDA to grant marketing exclusivity for a drug that's already been approved and is in active use for a different indication - for exactly that reason.

You can get a use patent, but that's worth exactly jack squat without marketing exclusivity.

• Options
    I don't understand this gabapentin/neurontin stuff... it's an epilepsy drug you take daily?

• Options
    it hits a lot of other areas, a little bit of gaba and 5-ht, but it is definitely something that acts a lot in the vta and the mscl dopamine system

God, neurology is so messy.

• Options
    also apparently it makes you lose weight and fart. Interesting...

• Options
    I don't understand this gabapentin/neurontin stuff... it's an epilepsy drug you take daily?

It was originally approved for seizures, yeah, but it works well on neuropathic pain. And it is a daily regimen - you take it every day, not just as-needed.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I wish they had one of those places here where you could pay money then go into a room full of breakable shit and just wail on it with a bat

Ludious on
  • Options
    I wonder if these cops are waiting for a tow truck, of if they're just hanging out by an abandoned car in a parking lot.

• Options
    i am 100% sure that in 50 years they will look back at us and be like

THEY GAVE PEOPLE GABA ANALOGUES

LOL

DIDNT THEY KNOW THAT DOES LIKE 500 DIFFERENT THINGS AND ONLY ONE OF THOSE THINGS WERE SOMETHING THEY WANTED?

its the same with all the serotonin drugs, theyre such fucking coincidental voodoo

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I really want to get the A-10 Warthog simulator on sale at Steam but I know I won't play it anytime soon. I just have such a huge mancrush on the A-10.

"Here's a gun. Let's build an aircraft around it."

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Or it could go the opposite direction and we just take drugs blindfolded, not even knowing what they do

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Now they're leaving...and the car is still there.

how odd.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    GUYS

I HAVE TWO KITTENS ON MY BED

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I like to fire up the editor in ArmA2 and drop down some units and then an A-10 or two and set some waypoints, and then watch the sparks fly.

• Options
    i have batted a few ideas around with various people. at first we assumed it was restoring baseline dopamine function (because of the "conventional result" that, on average, you're looking at roughly 80% of normal dopamine recruitment in addicts), but thats probably not it. it seems to have a very strong anti-anxiety element, and although initially we framed its effects in terms of craving, we later on decided what it was probably doing was making addicts not feel the anxiety that leads to self-medication with their drug of choice - less of a craving reducer, but more of an anxious fix-me-up reducer

the basic problems in setting up a putative mechanism are fairly large:

the drug doesnt last super long in the human body, 4 hours odd
    its a pretty conventional broad dopamine agonist, and if dopamine agonists had this kind of effect generally... wed know about it.
    it hits a lot of other areas, a little bit of gaba and 5-ht, but it is definitely something that acts a lot in the vta and the mscl dopamine system, and again it would be silly to not consider that it might be fiddling with reward/reward saliency circuitry

im quite a fan of the saliency modification idea, but the short answer is we have no fucking clue

Is it an unusually strong agonist?

Uneducated guessing:
    Maybe it's causing a significant enough amount of firing that there is some form of LTP going on so new receptors are being deployed and new synapses are occurring between the vta and its targets?

• Options
    @spool32

GABA is a major inhibitory transmitter - it triggers the action of inhibitory synapses, which suppresses the activity of other neurotransmitters. A really terrible but still useful metaphor is that GABA is the red streetlight of the brain.

(Winky and surreality, yes, I know it's terrible.)

Many of the major CNS depressants and well-known tranquilizers have some GABA-relevant action.

• Options
    So what is Yo Gaba Gaba

it is a double transmitter

• Options

It was originally approved for seizures, yeah, but it works well on neuropathic pain. And it is a daily regimen - you take it every day, not just as-needed.

So break it down for me, side effect wise - effect on weight, attention, does it cause headaches?

There's another daily thing she used to take that's similar and starts with an A... I can't remember it for the life of me. She lost 15lbs within 3 days of stopping it!

• Options

LOL

DIDNT THEY KNOW THAT DOES LIKE 500 DIFFERENT THINGS AND ONLY ONE OF THOSE THINGS WERE SOMETHING THEY WANTED?

its the same with all the serotonin drugs, theyre such fucking coincidental voodoo

Oh yeah, the fact that we try to treat specific problems with absurdly broad chemical messengers is something that I foresee future scientists snickering at. "You're feeling sad? Here, take some serotonin reuptake inhibitor *teehee*, then I'll get the leeches so we can bleed you of bad humors."

• Options
    @spool32

GABA is a major inhibitory transmitter - it triggers the action of inhibitory synapses, which suppresses the activity of other neurotransmitters. A really terrible but still useful metaphor is that GABA is the red streetlight of the brain.

(Winky and surreality, yes, I know it's terrible.)

Many of the major CNS depressants and well-known tranquilizers have some GABA-relevant action.

does it decrease sensation in general?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    if it was because of its dopamine agonism youd see the same thing with bromocriptine

and moreover, remember the effect persists indefinitely

so it would need to be emulatable with any other strong dopamine agonist, which it isnt

my feeling is that we literally do not have enough knowledge to go for a proper mechanism

it feels like a receptor variation thing... have you ever looked at the variants of the gaba receptor?

it has a shit load of subunits, with a basic operating set and others that it swaps in and out

alcohol has its particular effects because it fucks with the gamma subunit that is only present on a subpopulation of receptors

you could not understand its effects if you assumed it hit every gaba receptor everywhere

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

LOL

iknowright!?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0QTzEOBVNk&feature=player_embedded#!

guys, watch the first ten seconds of this

goddamn

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

"Here's a gun. Let's build an aircraft around it."

As crazy as the A-10 is, I think the design meeting for the AC-130H tops it. "Fuck it, we've got some 105mm howitzers sitting around, lets put one of those on a fucking plane!"

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i am starting to get some serious frown lines

i don't know if it is age or just being an angry sumagun.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.