As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Continuously referring to the last 12 months on a rolling basis. So if we had 32+ players at one of our our Dark Ascension prereleases, we wouldn't need to clear that hurdle again until the next January prerelease, but any subsequent 32+ player event moves that goal post accordingly. I'm not sure where/when the other requirements are checked (they could be tied to "since your last qualifying event," for all I know), but that's generally not been an issue to my knowledge.

We lost Advanced status briefly a while back (slightly pre-Scars) when we hadn't had a big event in a while, then regained it thanks to a prerelease breaking the barrier -- the Besieged "choose a side" thing was REALLY popular. It cost us our midnight prerelease (at the time Core stores could only schedule one event, and Advanced got two; I think that policy changed with Innistrad) and we didn't get the Skinrender Gateway promos, but that was all I noticed. Had we whiffed on that by the Dark Ascension events we would have only had one Helvault instead of two (and, unbeknownst to anyone at the time, would have had no chance at the "super" 'vault), so it can occasionally matter for more important things.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I'm trying to make a green miracle wild defiance deck. Wracking my brain around it, what cards to put in/cut. Any thoughts?

3x Wild Defiance
    3x Revenge of the Hunted
    3x Blessings of Nature
    3x Artful Dodge
    4x Noxious Revival
    1x Stolen Goods (Noxious their super card in graveyard end of turn, then steal it on my turn lol)

4x Gladecover Scout
    4x Invisible Stalker
    4x Snapcaster Mage
    4x Garruk's Companion (Or dungrove elder? companion was for trample)
    4x Borderland Ranger
    1x Wolfir Silverheart? Increasing Savagery?

1x Island
    13x Forest
    4x Hinterland Harbor
    4x Inkmoth Nexus

Things I want to fit in:
    Counterspells? Probably negate?
    Autmn's Veil (sideboard I guess, but what do I replace when I sideboard this in?)
    Mutagenic Growth
    Gut Shot (I can gut shot them, or gut shot my own creatures for +3/+3-1)
    Into the void?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    If you branch into a third color, consider throwing like 2x Abundant Growth in there. Self-replacing mana-fixing is the shiz.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    I don't want to draw a miracle with abundant growth.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ...good point.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried the Heartless Summoning + Clone Shell + fatties deck?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    haven't heard of clone shell being tried. most heartless is b/u to bring out a fatty then phantasmal image it, or phrexian metamorph it

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    haven't heard of clone shell being tried. most heartless is b/u to bring out a fatty then phantasmal image it, or phrexian metamorph it

I'd imagine that combining Heartless Summoning with either Priest of Gix or Priest of Urabrask would be the way go. Repeat with Havengul Lich for infinite mana.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Equipment like, say, Silver Dagger, seems fine in a Wild Defiance... i believe it pumps your guys +3/+3 for 1 mana right?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So uhh... if I flicker Zealous Conscripts with Conjurer's Closet, will I take control of a creature for essentially no real time, or will I have the creature for the duration of my opponent's turn?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried the Heartless Summoning + Clone Shell + fatties deck?

I have, in my Birthless Summoning deck (Heartless Summoning + Birthing Pod). The problem with Clone Shell is that anyone packing Doom Blade, Dismember, artifact destruction, or non-Gut Shot burn can kill it in response to the ETB trigger and force you to exile a card for no value; white decks can O-Ring it and blue decks can Vapor Snag it, getting you on the other end. I would always board it out for less risky/better threats and just wound up taking them out entirely to make room for Avacyn Restored stuff.

When it worked it was hilarious. But that wasn't too often.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    So uhh... if I flicker Zealous Conscripts with Conjurer's Closet, will I take control of a creature for essentially no real time, or will I have the creature for the duration of my opponent's turn?

I think you get it briefly since it says you control it till end of turn. I think it has to say next End Step to work like that.

If you steal one of their creatures with Conscripts then Closet it at end of turn it's yours for good though.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Equipment like, say, Silver Dagger, seems fine in a Wild Defiance... i believe it pumps your guys +3/+3 for 1 mana right?

Equipment doesn't trigger wild defiance.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    My bad, was thinking it was just targetting, but I guess that would be dumb.

/en-vec.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Mutagenic growth, on the other hand...

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    clone shell into lethal pierce strider is hilarious.

i have done this, during limited.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I have killed so many people online today with infinite ressurecting Bruna.

People dropping out of games left and right.

Kelor on
  • Options
    only sorceries and instants bump up people +3/+3 for a turn

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    so i thought id try a cube draft on mtgo, that it would be fun

its not really unless your opponents are as newbie as you

• Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    Yeah, cube is like a block draft on steroids. Take all the bombs from every set, put em in a shake n bake bag and have at 'er. If you weren't familiar with strong draft strategies to begin with, cube isn't the place to learn. Its a place to hone existing skills.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    my friends made a not-cube of 1x every common/uncommon from avacyn restored. drafting that has been a good way to see how the set is and what cards are good to get in actual draft/sealed.

Might add in the rares/mythics if/when we get them but then i'd have to sleeve everything.

last week we tried it for the first time with 1x all inn/dka uncommons/commons. that was fun, too, but we mainly want to practice for avacyn, so switched over as soon as we could.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    it's a shame because watching the channel fireball videos got me excited for it, but there's not enough time to read all the cards when you don't know them

• Options
    it's a shame because watching the channel fireball videos got me excited for it, but there's not enough time to read all the cards when you don't know them

Just force RDW or big mana green. Keep it simple.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Planeswalkers are really good in cube. Even the bad ones like Venser and Elspeth Tirel are good. Just remember what kind of deck you're drafting. Don't be taking 6 mana walkers in an aggro deck, but they are great in control and ramp.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Just as a note, the Tom Martell and Conley Woods Cube draft videos on Channel Fireball, while amusing, are not what I would consider competent cube drafts. There are a lot of strong strategies in this cube, many of which are rooted in doing very mean things, but you really want to be focused on a specific goal and not just pick the best card in the pack (aka: the Tom Martell strategy of All Fixing). And yes, pretty much all of the PWs are awesome in this cube; the two Chandra and Sorin are probably the only ones that aren't early picks, but Elspeth, Knight Errant, Ajani V., and Karn are all snap picks.

Also, as with any format, start with Swiss queues to get a feel for your own deck building skills and to expose yourself to the kinds of decks to watch out for.

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    Anyone here planning on going to GP Minneapolis? I'm putting together a UG Turbo-wolf run deck based off Gerry T's deck, with modifications.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I don't think I've seen JTMS though in the MTGO cube. What's up with that?

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote: »

He was in the PAX East Cube; I've seen videos of him in packs and being played against one or two of the CF guys.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »

He was in the PAX East Cube; I've seen videos of him in packs and being played against one or two of the CF guys.

It's definitely in there. I'm pretty sure the only PWs that aren't in the Cube are Nissa and Chandra 2.

• Options
    Yea, if you want to see how to really cube, watch LSV's old vids (where he forced RDW basically) or andrew cooperduperwhatever's from CFB.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Yea, if you want to see how to really cube, watch LSV's old vids (where he forced RDW basically) or andrew cooperduperwhatever's from CFB.

Yeah, Cooperduperwhatever's draft is excellent with really solid commentary on why he's picking things, without seeming to contradict his every thought (like Martell). Simon Goertzen also did some excellent Cube streams, so maybe he has some Cube videos at MTGO Academy, otherwise just search his archives on twitch.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    JTMS is definitely in there, Sam Black has a draft on his Twitch channel (twitch.tv/samuelhblack) where he opens him p1p1

I did my first cube yesterday, and managed to squeeeeeeze my way into splitting the finals. I drafted a rock-style GWB deck splashing red for Ajani Vengeant and the kicker on Thornscape(?) Battlemage.

I'm not sure I would have won r1g3 if my opponent didn't time out -- he had a strong blue/white control deck. I'd just wrathed the board, but he was about to drop an Ajani Goldmane I didn't have an answer to.

I won round two 2-1 against mono-red splashing Niv-Mizzet and Deep Analysis. Game 1 he locked me out with Rishadan Port, game 2 he got stuck on lands and a timely Strip Mine put him too far behind, and game 3 was one of the tightest games of Magic I've ever played. I made multiple plays that felt counter-intuitive (for me) but prevented him from burning me out before I could close the game with Baneslayer.

Stray observations: Strip Mine was insane every time I drew it, and Mirari's Wake was similarly insane every time it resolved.

Time for some TSP draft!

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like cube a lot when I play casual with my friends (my buddy has a ridiculously awesome cube) but I don't know if I'd like it on MTGO.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wish I still played with more people regularly. Building a cube for just 3 people feels like a lot of work, and I'm not sure it'd really be worth the effort.

btw, wth? Entreat the Angels has spiked like double or triple its value from the weekend practically overnight. Here I thought I'd gotten a mid level mythic. Apparently it's now in the top 5 for the set (granted, prerelease prices, so wonky as fuck, etc)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Entreat is really mean in limited but I'm not seeing the constructed value. maybe somebody can enlighten me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    It's mythic and a strictly better Decree of Justice. Sure, it can't cycle, but in EDH, I'm sure you want double the angels and some more when you miracle it.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Feral wrote: »
    Entreat is really mean in limited but I'm not seeing the constructed value. maybe somebody can enlighten me.

If we assume the current value of the card is due to competitive intentions, I believe the idea is that the U/W/x control decks are already willing to tap out, and the blowout opportunity of t5 Miracle'd Entreat is high enough that folks are willing to run two.

That said, I doubt it will stay that high, as I think a lot of players are overreacting to Cavern of Souls and the death of their counterspells. It's a cool card, and very powerful, but it's atypical for a non-permanent to retain that Planeswalker-level value these days.

metaghost on
  • Options
    I wish I had preordered more bonfires at $4, though yeah, the price won't last.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So I'm trying to make a green miracle wild defiance deck. Wracking my brain around it, what cards to put in/cut. Any thoughts?

3x Wild Defiance
    3x Revenge of the Hunted
    3x Blessings of Nature
    3x Artful Dodge
    4x Noxious Revival
    1x Stolen Goods (Noxious their super card in graveyard end of turn, then steal it on my turn lol)

4x Gladecover Scout
    4x Invisible Stalker
    4x Snapcaster Mage
    4x Garruk's Companion (Or dungrove elder? companion was for trample)
    4x Borderland Ranger
    1x Wolfir Silverheart? Increasing Savagery?

1x Island
    13x Forest
    4x Hinterland Harbor
    4x Inkmoth Nexus

Things I want to fit in:
    Counterspells? Probably negate?
    Autmn's Veil (sideboard I guess, but what do I replace when I sideboard this in?)
    Mutagenic Growth
    Gut Shot (I can gut shot them, or gut shot my own creatures for +3/+3-1)
    Into the void?

Maybe wandering wolf in place of the Garruk's Companion? 1G and pseudo unblockable.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    What do you guys think of this?
    4 Avacyn’s Pilgrim
    4 Birds of Paradise
    1 Mikaeus, the Lunarch
    1 Deranged Outcast
    4 Blade Splicer
    2 Fiend Hunter
    2 Borderland Ranger
    4 Restoration Angel
    4 Huntmaster of the Fells
    3 Zealous Conscripts

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Copperline Gorge
    4 Razorverge Thicket
    2 Gavony Township
    7 Forest
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain

4 Cloudshift

2 Bonfire of the Damned

1 Oblivion Ring

SB: 4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 3 Timely Reinforcements
    SB: 2 Stony Silence
    SB: 2 Witchbane Orb
    SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 2 Ray of Revelation

I've gone back and forth trying a combination of M12 tap lands but they can get clunky when all you're hitting those and Caverns in the early turns. I originally was going W/R, but wanted to work in Huntmaster somehow. Then it turned into G/W because of how solid the mana fixing and Gavony Township is, then morphed into this to accomodate Huntmaster, Bonfire and Zealous Conscripts.

My eyes keep wandering to the budgies and the things I could squeeze in there in the two slot if I didn't run them, but being able to skip to turn two Splicer or Borderland Ranger is really nice.

Kelor on