As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    It seems like a lot of people bought BYOC tickets last week without realizing what they were doing...were those dealt with by any chance? Just oddly wondering if this is a true sell-out or not...

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • PrivateNewbiePrivateNewbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You don't think (a bit of wishful thinking here) that BYOC sold out so quickly because attendees unfamiliar with the BYOC acronym thought the wording: "BYOC Badges only needed if you are bringing in your own computer." is referring to any computer, including laptops and such people are carrying with them?

The reason I ask, is that I find myself constantly explaining what BYOC entails. With so many registrations for PAX coming in, it's semi-reasonable to think that perhaps a few people mistook the BYOC badge as some sort of laptop registration system.

Thoughts?

PrivateNewbie on
  • ThranxThranx Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    Thranx wrote: »
    I don't understand how this is possible given the amount of time it took to sell out in past years.... I've got 8 people to buy BYOC tickets for and they're completely gone?!!?

Yes, they are gone. Prime BYOC has always sold out fast. But the last fastest sellout took about 48h. It sold out faster and faster every year.

Tickets are non-transferable, so I can't pickup any on the side market either? This blows my f-ing mind. I've gone nearly every year and I'm missing it this year... because of 41 minutes? This is broken as hell.

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    In previous years, there have been groups of LAN people within the sea of 'less dedicated' lan gamers at BYOC. Hopefully by starting now, we can get a list of people who plan to spend more time in BYOC to sit near each other.

If you're interested in being in this group (assignments go out late June/July) PM me or post in the thread that you'd like to.

Please only indicate interest if you plan on spending a decent amount (50% or more) in BYOC!
    List of people signed up:
    japerry
    Dyannenova
    IshmaelDS
    RinaKitten
    JollyRoger
    AslanLivesInMe
    Teyosifuva
    Sithmedic
    Skullbunny
    Draklawl
    BitterFun +3

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • EleriusElerius Registered User new member
    The registration page says:
    BYOC Badges only needed if you are bringing in your own computer. Must be accompanied by a 3 Day or Single Day Badge. [emphasis mine]

Seriously, they are allowing people who buy single day badges to buy BYOC? I thought in past years that you had to buy a 3day pass to get into BYOC. Will it be a ghost-town on Friday?

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't understand how this is possible given the amount of time it took to sell out in past years.... I've got 8 people to buy BYOC tickets for and they're completely gone?!!?

Yes, they are gone. Prime BYOC has always sold out fast. But the last fastest sellout took about 48h. It sold out faster and faster every year.

Tickets are non-transferable, so I can't pickup any on the side market either? This blows my f-ing mind. I've gone nearly every year and I'm missing it this year... because of 41 minutes? This is broken as hell.

Tickets can be transferred this year. They are being mailed along with the 3day badges.

Also people said it was broken when it sold out in 48h before :P

There is just lots of demand and very limited supply. Check back later, if people bought it and wanted it refunded cause they didnt know what it was or something they will show back up on the site.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    Any chance they'll expand the seat count? 300 is weak.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    just fyi, if you would like a refund on you BYOC pass, please email pax_questions@paxsite.com

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Elerius wrote: »
    BYOC Badges only needed if you are bringing in your own computer. Must be accompanied by a 3 Day or Single Day Badge. [emphasis mine]

Seriously, they are allowing people who buy single day badges to buy BYOC? I thought in past years that you had to buy a 3day pass to get into BYOC. Will it be a ghost-town on Friday?

If single day people are being allowed to buy BYOC, that's just not right.

Yuritau on

That's what it was last year. We are likely in the same space this year. Not much wiggle room to add more seats...

I was actually wondering if they had decided to reduce the seat count this year to make more room for PC free play. This is very disappointing.

Yuritau wrote: »
    If there is anyone that bought a BYOC pass, but has since decided they can't/don't want to do BYOC (friends not getting in, etc), I will gladly buy one BYOC pass!
    Elerius wrote: »

If single day people are being allowed to buy BYOC, that's just not right.

You cant buy/sell passes on the forums...

That single day phrase was just there for the people who would buy 3 1day passes if they missed out on 3days. I don't think anybody expected BYOC to sell out this fast.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I think we should also get rid of the rule that lets people use multiple seats for a single computer.

row1.pngrow2.png
    SmallLady wrote: »
    just fyi, if you would like a refund on you BYOC pass, please email pax_questions@paxsite.com
    Or you can email me and I'll offer more than the refund amount. :P

That's what it was last year. We are likely in the same space this year. Not much wiggle room to add more seats...

Dang. Thought it was 400 last year.

I think we should also get rid of the rule that lets people use multiple seats for a single computer.

Nope, not going to happen.

That rule is in place for power concerns. If people want more power than 1 seat can provide (cause they are bringing a beast of a system) then they have to buy multiple badges.

• boby11boby11 Registered User new member
    I feel like BYOC is going to be a lot of people from out of town...

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Welp no BYOC for me this year :(

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

Tickets can be transferred this year. They are being mailed along with the 3day badges.

There is just lots of demand and very limited supply. Check back later, if people bought it and wanted it refunded cause they didnt know what it was or something they will show back up on the site.

In the same vein as PAX passes, we will not allow people to buy/sell byoc passes on the forums.

E6LkoFK.png

That rule is in place for power concerns. If people want more power than 1 seat can provide (cause they are bringing a beast of a system) then they have to buy multiple badges.

That's exactly my point. I don't think someone should be excluded just because someone else wants to bring their 1000w power supply.

row1.pngrow2.png

That's exactly my point. I don't think someone should be excluded just because someone else wants to bring their 1000w power supply.

Well they are going to have to be, we wont exclude anybody just because they want to show off their quad SLI 8core gaming machine.

If the power rule wasn't in place then you might end up with some guy blowing your power circuit, you would be as equally mad if your power kept going down every time that guy fires up BF3 :P

Well they are going to have to be, we wont exclude anybody just because they want to show off their quad SLI 8core gaming machine.

If the power rule wasn't in place then you might end up with some guy blowing your power circuit, you would be as equally mad if your power kept going down every time that guy fires up BF3 :P

I understand, I'm just saying I don't like the rule and I'm personally not bringing my main rig for that very reason.

row1.pngrow2.png
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

In the same vein as PAX passes, we will not allow people to buy/sell byoc passes on the forums.

Well, I know we had a thread for people needing tickets last year.... so explain that one. That how I got a ticket for a friend that missed the 3 day badges.

• nickmeharrynickmeharry Registered User new member
    Bah, missed registration by about 5 minutes coordinating with friends. Is there a waiting list or something?

• GreenemachineGreenemachine Registered User regular
    Completely ridiculous how byoc was handled this year. It used to take weeks to sell out because only the people who were truly interested grabbed them when they went up. Now if you happen to get lucky in the 30 minutes when registration goes up, you get in. I bet half the seats sold are people who don't even know what they were buying. It should be kept separate. How are groups to even have a chance at byoc anymore? Very disappointed with how things were handled.

• L1ONHEARTL1ONHEART zZzZzZz USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Well, I know we had a thread for people needing tickets last year.... so explain that one. That how I got a ticket for a friend that missed the 3 day badges.

Policies changed this year... too many people got scammed. Why would you even question what a "Mod" posts? Lmfao.

L1ONHEART on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

The ban went into effect this year. There is no buying or selling of passes on this forum. This is not a negotiable position.

E6LkoFK.png

• IshmaelDSIshmaelDS IT Guy Vancouver, BCRegistered User new member
    Was it not like 500 people a couple years ago? I seem to remember a stage and shout-casting when i last went. I'm disappointed that's not planned for this year. I really enjoyed not having to rush about to meet some of the talks. If you bring anything back I would highly recommend that.

Bah, missed registration by about 5 minutes coordinating with friends. Is there a waiting list or something?

Nope, sorry.
    Completely ridiculous how byoc was handled this year. It used to take weeks to sell out because only the people who were truly interested grabbed them when they went up. Now if you happen to get lucky in the 30 minutes when registration goes up, you get in. I bet half the seats sold are people who don't even know what they were buying. It should be kept separate. How are groups to even have a chance at byoc anymore? Very disappointed with how things were handled.

BYOC hasn't taken "Weeks" to sell out at Prime since like... 2009?

Last year it sold out really fast too.

PAX is getting more and more popular and it was bound to happen eventually. Sorry you weren't able to get a pass.

IshmaelDS wrote: »
    Was it not like 500 people a couple years ago? I seem to remember a stage and shout-casting when i last went. I'm disappointed that's not planned for this year. I really enjoyed not having to rush about to meet some of the talks. If you bring anything back I would highly recommend that.

Correct it was 500 in 2010. Expo got bigger in 2011 and pushed PC room into a smaller space. its unlikely that PC room will regain that space sadly :(

I understand, I'm just saying I don't like the rule and I'm personally not bringing my main rig for that very reason.

I know, I have LAN boxes too that fall within most power rules for that reason. Not everyone can justify the purchase of a 2nd machine though.

IshmaelDS wrote: »

Correct it was 500 in 2010. Expo got bigger in 2011 and pushed PC room into a smaller space. its unlikely that PC room will regain that space sadly :(

It wont be helping the case if we have empty (but paid for) seats this year because of how registration was handled.

• boby11boby11 Registered User new member
    BYOC is the only reason i go to pax, i guess i might not go at all now

• FleenerFleener Registered User regular
    In previous years when BYOC passes were purchased on lanfest, people were told that as refunds came in that they would be added to the site and therefore you could purchase a pass then. Is something similar going to happen this year? For example, right now the BYOC box when you register says "sold out." But as refunds come in, is that box going to change allowing people to purchase a BYOC pass? Seems like a lot of people may have purchased a BYOC pass or multiple passes on accident in their haste last week before the servers went down.

Fleener wrote: »
    In previous years when BYOC passes were purchased on lanfest, people were told that as refunds came in that they would be added to the site and therefore you could purchase a pass then. Is something similar going to happen this year? For example, right now the BYOC box when you register says "sold out." But as refunds come in, is that box going to change allowing people to purchase a BYOC pass? Seems like a lot of people may have purchased a BYOC pass or multiple passes on accident in their haste last week before the servers went down.

I have already asked that question to PA, they said they will figure it out.

Was there a reason BYOC reg wasn't through lanfest this year?

edited May 2012
    Yuritau wrote: »
    Was there a reason BYOC reg wasn't through lanfest this year?

Probably because PA wanted to move it back in-house? Not sure on the exact reasons why.

BigRed on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    I'll add my voice to the list of frustrated Arcadians. I actually got all my stuff, but a lot of my friends didn't. We've been fairly dedicated BYOCers since 2004. Very disappointed.

Yuritau... ultimately, empty seats don't matter to PA. They're paid for. That's the bottom line justification, and I agree with that.

And to that point, if you can sell out 300 seats in less than an hour, then from a business POV, you should increase the seat count and the price tag. I realize space is a fixed commodity, but I suspect there is existing space being used less profitably. I also realize a price increase would sadden some, but that seems inevitable. PA is essentially subsidizing the cost of the ticket - it is demonstrably more valuable than what they're charging for it. And if they continue to subsidize it, then you'll get more and more people buying it "just for the seat" as the value proposition continues to justify that to a large enough crowd.

Regardless, I agree with many others on this thread. BigRed, I think you should anticipate that a lot of people bought it by mistake. I recommend sending an email in a week or so to all BYOC registrants explaining what they bought to at least open the possibility that people might want to refund their purchase. Obviously you'll have no trouble selling them, even if an unimaginable 50% were purchased in error.

Thanks for reading!

• IshmaelDSIshmaelDS IT Guy Vancouver, BCRegistered User new member
    I completely agree with DJBreslin. Up the price and move it back to where it was in 2010 with the 500 seats and I can pretty much guarantee you will still sell out within the first couple days. I know I would pay more.

DJBreslin wrote: »
    Regardless, I agree with many others on this thread. BigRed, I think you should anticipate that a lot of people bought it by mistake. I recommend sending an email in a week or so to all BYOC registrants explaining what they bought to at least open the possibility that people might want to refund their purchase. Obviously you'll have no trouble selling them, even if an unimaginable 50% were purchased in error.

Thanks for reading!

I have made this suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.