As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] - A Game of Megathrons

• EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Archonex wrote: »
    The reward for it was pathetic, too. 70K for completion. 90K bonus. And the salvage and loot sucked. Was expecting something a bit more low investment for that level of annoyance.

I'm pretty sure that the mission payouts are linked to the completion rate and speed at which players complete the mission. So if the payout was lower than you'd expect, there was probably an easier/faster way to do it. Maybe security status still affects payouts as well? I haven't done missions in ages.

Ellthiteren on
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    You know that you could just stop doing missions? You could join PA corp in null sec, start piracy in low, go on can flipping/ninja looting spree in high sec, join a corp only to rob them and kill a bunch of helpless industrials, start station trading and contract scamming, go and do some exploration sites etc. Missions are quite boring and are mostly run by well skilled characters (so they can be run fast) who need some extra isk to fund their other (more fun) activities, or for faction standings.

If you need some isk to get you started on your chosen EVE career, PM me your player name. I'll send you some isk from an alt account.

• AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    This game has missions? In MerchI, we're too busy pillaging.

Seriously, I helped kill a freighter and enough Occators came out for everyone to share. Totally understand why sacking cities was a thing.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So incursions are completely ruined, what's the new "end game" way to make isk via combat? Doing Forsaken Hubs is a nice 12-13m isk a tick, and I guess I can move towards a Tengu (which I hear is a bit better isk/tick), but there has to be something to aim for... right?

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Why are incursions ruined?

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    The reward for it was pathetic, too. 70K for completion. 90K bonus. And the salvage and loot sucked. Was expecting something a bit more low investment for that level of annoyance.

I'm pretty sure that the mission payouts are linked to the completion rate and speed at which players complete the mission. So if the payout was lower than you'd expect, there was probably an easier/faster way to do it. Maybe security status still affects payouts as well? I haven't done missions in ages.

As far as I know the only speed thing is the bonus, which you basically always get unless you accept a mission but don't finish it for a couple of days. You get money for killing the rats in the mission, but if you can complete it without killing them all you usually get more money just doing another mission.

L1 and L2 missions aren't a way of making money, they're a chore you need to do on your way to L4s.

Why are incursions ruined?

I am honestly not sure. Apparently they're now a huge pain in the ass and not worth the effort for the isk you make. Even the highsec pubbies are refusing to run them anymore, since L4s or running a mining Bot are better sources of isk.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    KiTA wrote: »
    what's the new "end game" way to make isk via combat??

W-space plexes, perhaps?
    hardly new, but...

Sokpuppet on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    Papillon wrote: »

As far as I know the only speed thing is the bonus, which you basically always get unless you accept a mission but don't finish it for a couple of days. You get money for killing the rats in the mission, but if you can complete it without killing them all you usually get more money just doing another mission.

We're talking about different things, but yes, you're also correct.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Nullsec exploration. So yeah, wormholes as well.

I really shouldn't be surprised that CCP managed to muck up incursion balance in the other direction while trying to fix them. Though I wonder if it's just people not adapting to the change to their isk faucet and if some people will catch on and make it worth it later.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I really want to get back into this, but I'd need to start a new character since I sold my last one.

Problem is: I don't want to do the really dumb shit to make a few thousand isk to get the skills to train up. Any chance I could convince some one to bankroll a few mil starting over?

• JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    I really want to get back into this, but I'd need to start a new character since I sold my last one.

Problem is: I don't want to do the really dumb shit to make a few thousand isk to get the skills to train up. Any chance I could convince some one to bankroll a few mil starting over?

PM me your character name. I'll fix you with some isk.

Nullsec exploration. So yeah, wormholes as well.

I really shouldn't be surprised that CCP managed to muck up incursion balance in the other direction while trying to fix them. Though I wonder if it's just people not adapting to the change to their isk faucet and if some people will catch on and make it worth it later.

Actually, from my research, they had a decently balanced Incursion change on SiSi -- Vanguards were nerfed a little bit, Assault were buffed a little bit, people were gearing up for 20 man Shieldfleets instead of 10 man Armorfleets...

And then CCP, just to remind us they're still CCP, implemented a completely different change on live than the one that was playtested for weeks and was balanced, completely ruining Incursions. It's to the point that even the highsec kids won't run them, they're just not worth the effort. Last time I looked there were like 4 incursions active in game and none of them were even moderately touched.

• GassernormGassernorm Registered User regular
    On my 14th day on Eve. So I started the Sisters of Eve epic arc missions. I tried high sec mining yesterday, made three million in a three hours using a Vexor. Collected a few certificates, all basic stuff. So far having a good time. The Goon skill table for newbs works really well againist the npc's. Working on Level IV skills now, I will be on vacation starting next week, so that seems like a good time for Gallente frigate V, Mechanics V and if I can manage it Engineering V.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I still can't get into EVE, I've tried maybe 5 times now but I still hate it even though it's everything I want in a game, I just wrote a thing about it on the site in my sig, but more than just whoring out my site, can anyone help with why I don't enjoy this game? Is it something wrong with me? Whenever I hear about it seems so cool, but when I play it, it's just slow, and filled with made-up numbers. Sometimes I find rocks that I can get some more numbers out of but that's been the limit of my excitement.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Did you leave the NPC corp you started with?

Eve is boring as shit if you are not playing with other people. Someone is going to suggest that you join merch, which is fine and all, but the real point here is that you find other people to play with, regardless of who they are.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    I was unable to find your review of EVE on your site; so I've got no clue you've tried. So, from your short post I'm going to assume that you did nothing more than mission running and mining. Which are easily the most boring aspects of Eve. As a comparison, it would be like playing WoW by doing nothing more than fishing.

As a reviewer, if your review time ends and you are still in HiSec with positive sec status, then you haven't really tried the game. Find an 0.0 alliance that will let you ride along. Suicide gank people. Pick fights in LowSec. Join RvB for some quick PvP. I am assuming that markets and industry arn't your thing. If they are, then play the market. Try a scam.

If you still can't get into it; then maybe Eve isn't your game. It does require a lot of effort. It can be really slow, a lot of the time. And for many of us, the best way to play Eve is to read about it and keep up to date with the drama, and never ever log in.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's more than just finding random people. You can find groups of empire mouth breathers who are no better than being in NPC corps. It's more about getting out of empire than it is playing with other people, it's just that getting out of empire tends to require that you do the former.

The real game of EVE, the game you hear about in blog posts, and news blotters, happens out in nullsec and lowsec, not up in high sec.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    My appreciation for nullsec is higher than it would be if I hadn't lived in Empire for over a year.

Mining and missions aren't for everyone, but having my EVE "palette" accustomed to Bland EVE®­­ makes Super Banana Split Sunday EVE®­­ taste even better. Like I don't think I'd appreciate small things like jump bridges if I hadn't only known jump gates.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
    I played before jump bridges were a "thing", so that's why I appreciate them...and actually, the form you see them in today is jump bridge lite...it used to be that every big alliance had jump bridges crisscrossing their space. Now, because of cost and system limits, you have to keep them in subway style lines and they require you to use real gates from time to time. We used to be able to get from point A to point B in Goon space without touching a single gate 99% of the time. Those halcyon days are gone.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular

1. Join MerchI
    2. Go on a fleet op
    3. Mention in fleet chat that you're a newbie
    4. Get drowned in money

He isn't joking either. It's not uncommon for true newbies to come out of their first op with hundreds of millions of ISK. There tend to be hundreds of pilots, and they all tend to give a million or two. Most newbies are set for the foreseeable future after that. You don't start blowing through that kind of cash until you're flying battleships and T2's.

• MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Fleet ops are a ton of fun, even if you don't actually kill anything, just being with a group of people flying around looking for a fight.
    I went on an op last night and got on a few killmails, before running for our lives from a larger gang.

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
    Gassernorm wrote: »
    On my 14th day on Eve. So I started the Sisters of Eve epic arc missions. I tried high sec mining yesterday, made three million in a three hours using a Vexor. Collected a few certificates, all basic stuff. So far having a good time. The Goon skill table for newbs works really well againist the npc's. Working on Level IV skills now, I will be on vacation starting next week, so that seems like a good time for Gallente frigate V, Mechanics V and if I can manage it Engineering V.

So I dunno if I'm just jaded, but if I get less than 35 million an hour ratting in anoms I feel cheated. Is that normal for highend jewing (like L4 missions and mining in a hulk), or am I just jaded as all hell?

GnomeTank wrote: »
    The real game of EVE, the game you hear about in blog posts, and news blotters, happens out in nullsec and lowsec, not up in high sec.

I've been hearing a lot about this Jita place lately. Supposedly it was burning. Is that in nullsec or lowsec?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I've been hearing a lot about this Jita place lately. Supposedly it was burning. Is that in nullsec or lowsec?

This is rather splitting of hairs.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    High sec players exist for no other purpose than to be tortured by us when we get bored.

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I read about the burning of Jita on The MIttani's solar spymaster column. Sounds like it was a blast, and a very Goon thing to do. It kinda makes me want to play again.

• Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    So incursions are completely ruined, what's the new "end game" way to make isk via combat? Doing Forsaken Hubs is a nice 12-13m isk a tick, and I guess I can move towards a Tengu (which I hear is a bit better isk/tick), but there has to be something to aim for... right?

If you don't want to skill into a Tengu, a Naga will get like 17-18mil/tick and is well tanked, and a Talos will get like 22mil/tick (although the tank is just barely sufficient).

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fleet ops are a ton of fun, even if you don't actually kill anything, just being with a group of people flying around looking for a fight.
    I went on an op last night and got on a few killmails, before running for our lives from a larger gang.

I think every time I had ever gone on an op I never even so much as got to target something, much less get in on a killmail. Either we got blueballed, ran away, the enemy ran away, I died instantly, or our fleet killed them so fast I didn't get a chance to do anything. Some of them were fun because of the people on teamspeak/mumble and others were boring as fuck because they were all srs bsns.

JtgVX0H.png
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, I'm thinking of trying this game again.

Does travel still take "Oh god I want to slit my wrists" amount of time when you're a newbie?

Lewisham on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Lewisham wrote: »
    So, I'm thinking of trying this game again.

Does travel still take "Oh god I want to slit my wrists" amount of time when you're a newbie?

Hint: travel takes the same time whether newbie or the bitterest of vets. What does improve travel time is not using autopilot to move your ship. You should only use it to tell you which gate to warp to next...

...unless you're totally not in a hurry and you're not in a ship or pod that would cost more to replace than it would to suicide-gank.

Basically, don't autopilot anywhere.

• phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    High sec players exist for no other purpose than to be tortured by us when we get bored.

This is an epic quote.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Why would travel take more time as a newbie? Just podjump everywhere.

• Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Hint: travel takes the same time whether newbie or the bitterest of vets.

Says the scrub without a jump drive.

Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

So because one event happened in Jita, that even begins to change my point? For that matter, the entities that were burning Jita were....you guessed it, nullsec entities.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Hint: travel takes the same time whether newbie or the bitterest of vets.

Says the scrub without a jump drive.

Heh point taken, but you know what I meant.

(I have 5 ships with jump drives)

resubbed.
    lost a BC goofing off in lowsec.
    good times.

• projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Again my better judgment, I am now playing this game again. I was never good at it but I knew I wanted an Ishkur and to pvp.

I'm trained to fly an Ishkur and I am working on getting trained for the fittings needed. Question though...how does one make money? I'm going missions in my catalyst but I'm only getting 30k a mission. I assume there has to be better way to get that cash money?

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Higher level missions will give significantly better rewards, but they can be pretty dull. Especially the faction grind to unlock them. Doing hacking or archeology sites can be profitable, though not everybody likes scanning. Killing random rats in asteroid belts is more profitable the lower the security status of the system in general. I'm not much for working the market, but if you're willing to put in the time you can make a good bit of money that way. Also there is the traditional route of scamming people.

I see that they're giving out presents again, is it safe to assume that the most valuable ISK-wise would be the +4 mem and int implants?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.