As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Hotel Discussion

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Now that everything is appropriately launched, here's an appropriate hotel discussion thread.

PAX Prime Hotels are LIVE!
Book yours now at the PAX Travel Desk. Here are the details of the hotels. If you're looking for a room share, use the room share sticky.

The SOLD OUT indicator means that at least one of friday or saturday nights is totally sold out for the hotel, meaning that you couldn't stay there for all 3 days of pax. This also makes my life easier for tracking :)

Courtyard Seattle Pioneer Square
612 2nd Street
0.90 miles to Event Location

Crowne Plaza Seattle SOLD OUT!
1113 Sixth Avenue
(3.0 blocks to Event Location)

Fairmont Olympic Hotel
411 UNIVERSITY ST
(4.0 blocks to Event Location)

Grand Hyatt Seattle SOLD OUT!
721 Pine Street
(2.0 blocks to Event Location)

Hilton Seattle
1301 6th Avenue
(1.5 blocks to Event Location)

Homewood Suites Convention Center SOLD OUT!
1011 Pike Street
(1.0 blocks to Event Location)

Hotel Max Seattle
620 STEWART STREET
(4.0 blocks to Event Location)

Hyatt at Olive 8
1635 8th Avenue
(3.0 blocks to Event Location)

Mayflower Park Hotel SOLD OUT!
405 Olive Way
(5.0 blocks to Event Location)

Paramount Hotel SOLD OUT!
724 Pine Street

Red Lion Hotel on Fifth Avenue SOLD OUT!
1415 5th Avenue
(2.0 blocks to Event Location)

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
515 Madison Street
(4.00 blocks to Event Location)

Roosevelt Hotel Seattle SOLD OUT!
1531 7th Avenue

Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers SOLD OUT!
1400 Sixth Avenue

SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown
1800 Yale Ave
(0.50 miles to Event Location)

The Westin Seattle
1900 FIFTH AVENUE
(6.0 blocks to Event Location)

W Seattle Hotel
1112 Fourth Avenue
(4.5 blocks to Event Location)

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Z - as hotels are sold out (any 1 day of pax proper) can you mark them as sold out in the OP?

It'd tell you this in "person" but my phone is in another office atm :P

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    How fast do rooms for the popular hotels usually fill up by? And while we're at it, which ones are the popular hotels?

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    quickly, and in the past its normaly Sheraton, Hyatt & Homewoods that go first.

• Options
    MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    At this time, the Homewood only has 4 rooms left, and those are for Friday/Saturday nights only. Guess I'm glad I reserved there ahead of time.

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Managed to get passes last week, now I got the Sheraton booked.

Sh*t just got real.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    Ahh, so indecisive! It's a bit difficult for me to make up my mind on what to do because my friends and the BF are all still unsure whether or not they will/can actually go... And it's a lot of money for a recent college grad to be throwing down. .____.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »
    Ahh, so indecisive! It's a bit difficult for me to make up my mind on what to do because my friends and the BF are all still unsure whether or not they will/can actually go... And it's a lot of money for a recent college grad to be throwing down. .____.

You don't have to put any money down now if you are using a credit card, and you can cancel if you change your mind.
    The deposit will be due later, probably about one month before the event if its the same as last year.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Awesome! Got the last part of my trip booked, now for the waiting...

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    I got Tues/Weds night ahead of time at the Homewood with reward points. If I get bumped for these two nights, I won't be too upset since it's pre-PAX. It would still be 2 free nights, regardless of where they put us in Seattle. I was unable to score them for Thurs-Mon though, so I went with the Sheraton for the "during PAX" nights.

I had the Homewood selected, but took too long to review and lost the rooms, oops. Choose your rooms and checkout fast!

• Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bah! What a horrible time to realise my credit card is about to expire. I have to get that sorted real fast.

JamieOD on
  • Options
    ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    Trying to remember where all the lobby gaming happened last year. The Sheraton?

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yes, the Sheraton is where it's at. Last year I saw everyone playing, but I didn't sit down. This year I hope to do a lot more table top gaming.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    If I book a room with my debit card right now, while I be required to pay the deposit immediately or later with all the credit card purchases?

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Sheraton is also where 2-3 extra programming rooms are. Handy!

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    If I book a room with my debit card right now, while I be required to pay the deposit immediately or later with all the credit card purchases?

If it's a Debit/Credit card (has a credit card logo on it), your deposit won't get charged until sometime during the month before PAX. Exactly when depends on the hotel and its policies. I think last year, the Sheraton didn't charge me for the deposit until the Thursday or Friday of PAX weekend.

Melcene on
    melcene-wide.png
  • Options
    zehkalzehkal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just made my reservation at the Sheraton for 3 people. Hopefully I'll be bringing two others with me, but if not, I understand that there are usually some room-sharing shenanigans that go on here?

zehkal on
    *zehkal
    USEast Ladder SC (muted key T.T)
  • Options
    zehkal wrote: »
    Just made my reservation at the Sheraton for 3 people. Hopefully I'll be bringing two others with me, but if not, I understand that there are usually some room-sharing shenanigans that go on here?

The room share thread is already posted

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Anyone know of any good places to rent that will house 5 dudes comfortably with separate beds?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good places to rent that will house 5 dudes comfortably with separate beds?

Try craigslist for vacation rentals?

or airbnb.com

• Options
    draco24draco24 Registered User regular
    Anyone know from experience how the Homewood Suites would be with six people? Thanks!

• Options
    draco24 wrote: »
    Anyone know from experience how the Homewood Suites would be with six people? Thanks!

it'll be tight but you'll manage. :)

Please be aware that room maximums are 4 people and if the hotel finds you with more people, they are well within their right to toss you with no refund.

• Options
    draco24draco24 Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    it'll be tight but you'll manage. :)

Please be aware that room maximums are 4 people and if the hotel finds you with more people, they are well within their right to toss you with no refund.

Thanks. Those pictures never are any help. But I know about the 4 max, thankfully we're all arriving at different times.

• Options
    ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    Just wondering, will the Sheraton be providing free WiFi for PAX attendees? Or did they do so last year?
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I somehow remember them doing this in 2010. Right now, the Amenities info lists a $10.95 daily rate for internet, but that's it.

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • Options
    zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    We have a bank debit card that acts like a credit card. Do you know if they make ANY charages on the card now? I'm just curious cause we want to book the room but after buying the passes our bank is tapped until at least next month.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • Options
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    You don't have to put any money down now if you are using a credit card, and you can cancel if you change your mind.
    The deposit will be due later, probably about one month before the event if its the same as last year.

Oh! Well that definitely makes me feel better! I didn't have a chance to actually check, but with all the numbers displayed there when you book, it really made it seem like they were going to take a portion of my money then and there. :P

• Options
    We have a bank debit card that acts like a credit card. Do you know if they make ANY charages on the card now? I'm just curious cause we want to book the room but after buying the passes our bank is tapped until at least next month.

Last year, the Sheraton didn't charge me until a day or two before PAX. This year with the Homewood, I booked last month and have not been charged anything. I also use a debit/credit.

melcene-wide.png
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Booked at the Sheraton for Thursday-Monday.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »

Try craigslist for vacation rentals?

or airbnb.com

There's always homeway.com as well. They're just a middle man though so the standard "Buyer Beware" applies. (But no different than Craigslist I suppose.)

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Zombicus wrote: »
    Just wondering, will the Sheraton be providing free WiFi for PAX attendees? Or did they do so last year?
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I somehow remember them doing this in 2010. Right now, the Amenities info lists a $10.95 daily rate for internet, but that's it.
    I believe last year WiFi in the lobby was free, but not in the bedrooms. Wired connection was free in each room if I recall correctly between Thursday and Sunday. I could be remembering it wrong as well, though.
    We have a bank debit card that acts like a credit card. Do you know if they make ANY charges on the card now? I'm just curious cause we want to book the room but after buying the passes our bank is tapped until at least next month.
    Like the others mentioned above, depending on which hotel you chose, they do not take out the deposit between a month prior to the day of check-in. It normally would state "pending" in your online banking statement as it usually takes three business days to process it completely.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    Booked the Sheraton for two! So glad I got in before it's sold out!

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Sheraton booked for Friday and Saturday night. Yay!

Did the Sheraton last year, and honestly if you're already paying the kind of money that any halfway decent hotel costs, it's worth the extra to be at ground zero.

• Options
    AnahamkarahAnahamkarah Registered User regular
    Booked four at the sheraton, will I have a problem squeezing in a fifth on an air mattress?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Booked four at the sheraton, will I have a problem squeezing in a fifth on an air mattress?

The sheraton rooms I've seen are not large enough to have an air mattress unless it's a very small air mattress.

• Options
    AnahamkarahAnahamkarah Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

The sheraton rooms I've seen are not large enough to have an air mattress unless it's a very small air mattress.

Will there be a problem with having a 5th person in the room with us, besides not being able to fit an air mattress anywhere? I saw someone mention before that some of these hotels are okay with more than 4 guests to a room during PAX.

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Will there be a problem with having a 5th person in the room with us, besides not being able to fit an air mattress anywhere? I saw someone mention before that some of these hotels are okay with more than 4 guests to a room during PAX.

I don't think we've ever had trouble fitting a single person sleeping bag on the floor of our four person rooms, so if you have an air mattress that's not much larger than a sleeping bag, you should be fine. They're made to accommodate a rollaway, so fitting a single-bed-sized air mattress shouldn't be a problem

As for five in the room: technically it's against the rules, but I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for it as long as they aren't jerks with regards to noise, filth, etc. Common sense, really.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    AlaendilAlaendil Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Last year, I stayed with some friends that live just outside Seattle ... I can afford the hotel this year, but I wanted to know if people thought it was worth it to be downtown? Everything screams that it is, but I wanted to have the question officially posted....

(Edited to include dates to make it less ambiguous)

Alaendil on
  • Options
    Alaendil wrote: »
    Last year, I stayed with some friends that live just outside Seattle ... I can afford the hotel this year, but I wanted to know if people thought it was worth it to be downtown? Everything screams that it is, but I wanted to have the question officially posted....

As someone who lives about 30 minutes away from PAX, I totally think it's worth it to be downtown.

melcene-wide.png
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Allow me to put it this way. My friend (and fellow part time forumer @cybit) lives in Bellevue. After last year watching us hotel it up, he decided to spend the somewhat large sum of money to join us at the Hyatt, even though he didn't have too. Why? Less getting up early, less driving.
    Now YMMV if your friends live fairly close (Bellevue was a bit of a trek.) We drove in last year on Friday morning from his house. That afternoon we extended our hotel stay through Sunday night (originally we were going to drive back) and I don't regret it one bit.

• Options

Yes.

A thousand times yes.

Do it.

• Options
    Melcene wrote: »

As someone who lives about 30 minutes away from PAX, I totally think it's worth it to be downtown.

I live less than an hour from PAX, and I'm booking at the Sheraton.

This should say something.

This discussion has been closed.