As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    I'm waiting till my pay on Friday to book a hotel, how fast do they usually sell out? The Sheraton is the closest hotel right?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Sheraton and Hyatt are basically tied for closest and if you use a credit card you don't need to pay anything now.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • jetuserjetuser Registered User new member
    How often does pax_questions respond to emails? I've sent a few over the last week regarding some disability accommodations but have yet to receive a response

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    jetuser wrote: »
    How often does pax_questions respond to emails? I've sent a few over the last week regarding some disability accommodations but have yet to receive a response

They respond to them all the time. It's the volume that causes issues. Make absolutely sure you sent them to pax_questions@paxsite.com and there were no typos. I'd give them about a week to respond or so, especially given the giant CF that happened with reg that probably bogged them down.

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Sheraton and Hyatt are basically tied for closest and if you use a credit card you don't need to pay anything now.

How about debit?

• jetuserjetuser Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    jetuser wrote: »

They respond to them all the time. It's the volume that causes issues. Make absolutely sure you sent them to pax_questions@paxsite.com and there were no typos. I'd give them about a week to respond or so, especially given the giant CF that happened with reg that probably bogged them down.

Yeah I realize they're under load but my original email was sent about a week ago and I sent a follow up email the other day to no avail.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »

How about debit?

Not sure. Worst case you have to put down just the deposit (which is one night's stay).

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    SmallLady wrote:

What does BYOC stand for?
    Bring Your Own Computer. This is a large LAN party within PAX! So bring your gaming computer and get playing!
    Hint! Follow @Prime_BYOC for updates on the BYOC room AND for updates when passes go on sale! These sell out quick!

I bought a BYOC pass but now I don't want it! Where can I sell it??

You have two choices. BYOC passes are being mailed out along with regular passes. You can either give it to a friend or you can ask for a refund, email pax_questions@paxsite.com

Updated!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • skellerskeller San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm planning on staying at the Sheraton with 2 other people. I notice if I choose 2 guests I have the option to request a rollaway but not with 3. Anyone know if with 3 people a rollaway is included in the extra price?

skeller on
  • jakers11jakers11 Registered User regular
    Woohoo! Got 3 passes and a room for 3 for 3 nights....lots of threes. This thread definitely helped me calm down when I was worried about stuff selling out. Thanks SmallLady!

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    Grabbed thursday - monday at Homewood Suites. First year there, and I booked it because I've heard such great things. We shall see!

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Despite my fears earlier, I snagged all 5 nights at the Hyatt I needed. $1100 later. But it's all good, this is the wife and my vacation for the year so SPLURGE HO! (Total tab so far is about $1800 for hote and plane fair, and $130 for the tickets. Our trip went up this year a lot it seems. Looks like the new budget is $2500?! I'm so glad I just got a new Graduate assistantship to pay for all this!)

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    How fast does onpeak sell out for single person rooms? am a sad panda it went live cause i don't get paid for 2 weeks

sanovah wrote: »
    How fast does onpeak sell out for single person rooms? am a sad panda it went live cause i don't get paid for 2 weeks

This varies depending on hotel. BUT, you don't put any money down right now, so you may just want to grab a room. (You can cancel up to 3 days before.)
    I just put the rooms on my Credit Card and no stickershock (well the plane tickets are on there, so that's stickershock.)

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Trying to buy a pass for a friend, I got up to the credit card page and put in my info with no trouble. I hit "Complete Purchase" and then a "Please Wait" window popped up. Nothing more has happened for ~10 minutes; the "Please Wait" is still there with the bar spinning. How long did some of you see that screen?

UPDATE: I gave up after ~20 minutes and closed the tab. My card wasn't charged. I just went and did it all again and it worked quickly.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    tsrblke wrote: »

This varies depending on hotel. BUT, you don't put any money down right now, so you may just want to grab a room. (You can cancel up to 3 days before.)
    I just put the rooms on my Credit Card and no stickershock (well the plane tickets are on there, so that's stickershock.)

it says there's a deposit? sorry new at this first pax

• WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    WOOHOO
    Tickets, Sheraton, now when can I sign up for the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament?

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
    Westrunner wrote: »
    WOOHOO
    Tickets, Sheraton, now when can I sign up for the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament?

the coveted TWDT thread is a mysterious beast, and nobody ever knows when it's going to hit.

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Westrunner wrote: »
    ...now when can I sign up for the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament?
    Patience. Atlus is doing everything efficiently and quickly as he can. There is just one of him and SO MANY of us.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    Hey do you know how long it normally takes for the amount to clear or come out of the bank?

Hey do you know how long it normally takes for the amount to clear or come out of the bank?

For what? For passes? soon. For hotels? they don't charge your credit card until you go to pax.

For what? For passes? soon. For hotels? they don't charge your credit card until you go to pax.

Ah and yeah sorry i meant for Passes.And thanks. just wondering. Cause budgeting and what not.GOtta make sure i keep enough in the bank for it.

• MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    If it's a debit/credit card, it normally takes 2-3 days, though some go by business days. I got mine last week when they were released, and the money cleared the bank on Sunday (two days later).

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
    OMG. I heard 3 Day Passes JUST SOLD OUT . So Even though the money hasn't been taken out yet ....Do i still get my 3 day pass?

OMG. I heard 3 Day Passes JUST SOLD OUT . So Even though the money hasn't been taken out yet ....Do i still get my 3 day pass?

yes. you should have a confirmation email.

• Eillas321Eillas321 Registered User new member
    I made an error when typing my address for mailing when i bought my tickets how do i change it?

AWesome thanks

no one can probably answer this, but I'll ask anyway. Why does PA make it cheaper to buy a 3-day at the 2nd instead of the 3rd day? While i got mine I know a few people that didn't and have to wonder how many of the people with 3-day passes are leaving town Saturday night

no one can probably answer this, but I'll ask anyway. Why does PA make it cheaper to buy a 3-day at the 2nd instead of the 3rd day? While i got mine I know a few people that didn't and have to wonder how many of the people with 3-day passes are leaving town Saturday night
    That is a very good question.Now im wondering the same.

Eillas321 wrote: »
    I made an error when typing my address for mailing when i bought my tickets how do i change it?

Look at your confirmation, you should be able to log back in and fix it.

Yeah, there's no good answer for that. Probably to incentivise buying 3-days.

• Eillas321Eillas321 Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Eillas321 wrote: »

Look at your confirmation, you should be able to log back in and fix it.
    Thanks made the change.

Eillas321 on

After the trending breaking that was this year, I'd imagine this is going to have to change (just MHO, that's all). You can incentivise buying 3 days at $75 and still encourage people to buy 2 days if they are only going to be in town for 2 days.
    The one thing the current system does is allow people to buy passes now, without having to have made that choice (i.e. defer planning until later.) That's benevolent, but it fails the Econ101 test.
    Of course even at 2X[oneday]+5 (or even +10) you'd still have people buying the 3 days chancing that they'd be in town (or could sell them) but at least you'd lower demand somewhat.

doubt they really need for incentivise 3-day passes. PAX is awesome enough. TBH I'd say this makes people mad/sad because instead of spending 65 to go for 3 days they now have to spend 105 because people that only want to go two days bought all dem 3-day passes

• hellerphanthellerphant Registered User new member
    Hey Guys,

I need some assistance. I'm a gaming journalist for a big site in Australia and we just received funding for me to come over to PAX Prime this year! However every time I have checked the site it says media registration is closed. I've sent a few emails off and have had no response. Wondering who I can contact in regards to getting a media badge, otherwise I will just book appointments myself with all the publishers (I know most of them now) and pay for standard attendance passes.

Thanks guys, really excited to go to PAX, it's one of the few events I haven't covered before!

After the trending breaking that was this year, I'd imagine this is going to have to change (just MHO, that's all). You can incentivise buying 3 days at $75 and still encourage people to buy 2 days if they are only going to be in town for 2 days.
    The one thing the current system does is allow people to buy passes now, without having to have made that choice (i.e. defer planning until later.) That's benevolent, but it fails the Econ101 test.
    Of course even at 2X[oneday]+5 (or even +10) you'd still have people buying the 3 days chancing that they'd be in town (or could sell them) but at least you'd lower demand somewhat.

The whole thing fails the econ101 test as the prices are way too low. No reason to go applying arbitrary logic to it ;)

Hey Guys,

I need some assistance. I'm a gaming journalist for a big site in Australia and we just received funding for me to come over to PAX Prime this year! However every time I have checked the site it says media registration is closed. I've sent a few emails off and have had no response. Wondering who I can contact in regards to getting a media badge, otherwise I will just book appointments myself with all the publishers (I know most of them now) and pay for standard attendance passes.

Thanks guys, really excited to go to PAX, it's one of the few events I haven't covered before!

you can email pax_questions@paxsite.com

The whole thing fails the econ101 test as the prices are way too low. No reason to go applying arbitrary logic to it ;)

Just because the price is below what the market will bear does not mean you can't tilt the curve still by reworking the incentive structure to change behavior. Whatever you subsidize you get more of. In this case the 3 day passes are heavily subsidized to buy them without concern as to attending all 3 days. Alter that and you can skew the curve (admittedly the outside factors may soften that skew, but it'd still skew.)
    Additionally I'd submit that (despite the heavy Seattle/surrounding area attendence) there's still significant pressure fromthe total cost to attend PAX (rather than the mere incrimental cost of the passes.) so changing the incentive structure may also adjust behavior on that end (i.e. I may only stay 2 days and buy a 2 day pass to save on hotel/flight/whatever.)
    Admittedly it's hard to apply standard econ to this, (it's a market with very little elasticity) that doesn't mean it should be thrown out the windown entirely.

@official_pax

No, we don't think scalpers gobbled them up. We just took a look and the average order size had 1.74 badges per order (the limit is 5)

edited May 2012

Just because the price is below what the market will bear does not mean you can't tilt the curve still by reworking the incentive structure to change behavior. Whatever you subsidize you get more of. In this case the 3 day passes are heavily subsidized to buy them without concern as to attending all 3 days. Alter that and you can skew the curve (admittedly the outside factors may soften that skew, but it'd still skew.)
    Additionally I'd submit that (despite the heavy Seattle/surrounding area attendence) there's still significant pressure fromthe total cost to attend PAX (rather than the mere incrimental cost of the passes.) so changing the incentive structure may also adjust behavior on that end (i.e. I may only stay 2 days and buy a 2 day pass to save on hotel/flight/whatever.)
    Admittedly it's hard to apply standard econ to this, (it's a market with very little elasticity) that doesn't mean it should be thrown out the windown entirely.

If you want to debate mathematical methods to predict/price pax passes, there's a separate subforum for that. If you want to write a paper about it and email it to @Robert Khoo, please be my guest.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but they aren't making decisions based on how best to capture the value that's out there.

zerzhul on
This discussion has been closed.