As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 05/02/12 - One Superman is bad enough,

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Graphic Violence
Action Comics #9 Superman of Earth 23 fights off a Superman from another universe. Pretty great done in one tale, and with it being Morrison it'll be interesting to see where it plays into the rest of the run.
TuWJf.jpg

6mvid.jpg

cdrDv.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #685 Doc Ock finally reveals his true intentions (really like the one last grasp/begging spider-man displays on the first page).
f8CHi.jpg

rDAoj.jpg

AqcNR.jpg

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #10, Love the art in this issue. Marquez really brought his game to this issue, and this two page spread is pretty fantastic (also really shows off Mile's amazement at the Ultimates). Man Bendis really made Uncle Aaron just a giant creepo.
mu5Ex.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
UltimateInferno on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Defenders was fucking awesome this week

John Aman, Orson Randall, Pulp Madness

it was basically Immortal Iron Fist 28 guest starring the Silver Surfer

CYpGAPn.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Oooooooh

Here are three, out of order, pages from Defenders:
    pTuGY.jpg?1
    WwhkG.jpg?1
    HIisK.jpg?1

this fuckin' issue

CYpGAPn.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

John Aman, Orson Randall, Pulp Madness

it was basically Immortal Iron Fist 28 guest starring the Silver Surfer

you know how you always see people type that "squeeeee" sound but you're not really sure what it sounds like. Now I know. It sounds like pure joy.

and those pages just made the last hour of work unbearable

initiatefailure on
    I must have that.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I pity the fool who isn't picking up Venom

Guess who's baaaaack
    venom_17_1.png

venom_17_2.png

venom_17_3.png

And yes, Defenders was great, and Slott and Ramos should do Spider-Man forever

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Brock just never gets to have a normal life does he?

It's not like he's trying to settle down

The first thing he did when losing the Anti-Venom suit was to start hunting down symbiotes, Punisher style

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Daredevil #12, skip Omega Effect completely and pick this up, a good flashback issue. Samnee's art doesn't really have any pop compared to his T:MA or USM work, but it's a fun story:

daredevil12a-Copy.jpg

daredevil12b.jpg

Foggy's accused of plagiarism by the teacher (teacher just has it in for him) but even after a mock trial Matt can't win his case! Foggy uses an objection!

daredevil12c.jpg

I don't get why you would skip the Omega Effect

the issues were still well written

the art was still gorgeous

just because it didn't have a solid resolution doesn't mean they are suddenly worthless

CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2012
    Never said they were worthless, just entirely skippable and your ten bucks would be better spent on DD #12 and maybe trying out two other new series. If I knew what the outcome would have been beforehand by advance reviews or someone here, I would have not spent the six dollars for Punisher #10 and Daredevil #11 because there was no A to B to C with the story. It was A to B to A.

edit: if I were able to get the books for a buck each, that would be worthwhile. At three bucks each, didn't feel I got my money's worth.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2012
    Well I mean you straight up said "do not buy these books, skip them"

that is different than "hey I don't think I got my money's worth but they are still good"

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    Because of how things went down in DD #11, the whole event is skippable.

To me worthless means don't even read them, it's trash, ie Avengers: The Crossing, Superman Grounded, Milligan's X-Men run. Skippable means you don't need to read them to continue the overall DD story, but you wouldn't not buy the eventual Waid DD omnibus because the issues are included.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Who else was incredibly surprised by that twist in Earth-2?

TexiKen wrote: »

To me worthless means don't even read them, it's trash, ie Avengers: The Crossing, Superman Grounded, Milligan's X-Men run. Skippable means you don't need to read them to continue the overall DD story, but you wouldn't not buy the eventual Waid DD omnibus because the issues are included.
    But you shouldn't read a story just because it is required or important

Omega Effect had great dialogue and character work, wonderful jokes, and fantastic art

all of those reasons make it totally worth reading even if it ended up spinning its' wheels, plotwise

CYpGAPn.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular

Not so much surprised by it as... well, I appreciate it in a weird way.

I think Earth-2 pre the..."twist" was really, really bad

it had Robinson's overwrought dialogue everywhere and character saying their emotions out loud all the time

but afterwards it wasn't bad and actually seems kinda promising

CYpGAPn.png

But you shouldn't read a story just because it is required or important

Omega Effect had great dialogue and character work, wonderful jokes, and fantastic art

all of those reasons make it totally worth reading even if it ended up spinning its' wheels, plotwise

I read the crossover because I had faith in Waid to deliver something like he did for the other 11 issues prior to that issue. I really like the DD series, and because I liked the series I picked up two of the three Omega Effect issues because it's Waid, someone I like, and Rucka, someone who is hit and miss but was getting good praise for Punisher. It's rare to trust a writer these days but I trusted Waid and he let me down. Even DD #12 doesn't really acknowledge the event, it's more the Black Cat story and issues prior. Art really doesn't matter to me anymore in terms of a selling point, if it's good its an added benefit. I respect it when it works, but it doesn't sway me to make a purchase anymore, even Bagley drawing the book, unless the artist is outright stealing from other artists like Land or is just really bad like Larry Stroman. As long as the art isn't an obstacle to me understanding the issue and the publishers don't lie about who's drawing the issue (and their hidden fill-ins) it's moot.

Six bucks for two issues that go nowhere is just too much money to spend these days on comics for me. I would have rather had the six bucks. Even bad books will give some kind of resolution. This was just....filler. And that's about it for me on the Omega Effect stuff, otherwise we'll end up right back at the beginning again (!).

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »

Not so much surprised by it as... well, I appreciate it in a weird way.
    I'm just happy that it won't be a slightly different version of Justice League now.

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    so basically what i gather from tex's argument is that he wasn't a fan of mass effect 3 :V

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Nooooo! So many marvel books I have ignored for so long and now they are all luring me to my doom with these great scans and more noooooo!

I just spent $30 getting AvX#3, a bunch of Iron Fist books, and X-Force. Which is a lovely motw for moi.

edited May 2012
    so basically what i gather from tex's argument is that he wasn't a fan of mass effect 3 :V

Man, that ending was just....I mean....
    But yeah, that was an even bigger shot through the heart. It did open my eyes to how games journalism is a lot like comics journalism.

Avengers Academy #29, the two groups try to break the ice with some friendly competition (remember Loa? She's here!), and Sebastian Shaw has a catchy new way to dubstep his powers, Mark Waid would love it:
    avengersacademy29a.jpg

avengersacademy29b.jpg

avengersacademy29c.jpg

And then he punches a hole in the floor and escapes, whump whump whump whump whump

TexiKen on

Wow, I hope that after weeks of avoiding all the blogs and stuff talking about ME3's ending, it didn't just get spoiled for me :D. I have to get 100% galactic readiness before I can save the galaxy!

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    OMG....Action Comics 9 is so awesome. Even the backup story is great.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Action Comics was amazing.
    It just... it felt like Morrison was repenting, though. Like he directly contradicted the things he said in Supergods about Shuster and Siegel. And it doubled as a snide jab at DC, too.

Tairu on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Also RE: Action Comics:
    And there's that lil imp again. I wonder if it's a new take on Mxy or if it's someone else.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Why isn't this month's Swamp Thing up in this mutha? I am grievously disappointed in all of you.

It's like you're different people or something, the art alone is worth the mention, and those panels . . .
    SwampThing-Zone093.jpg
    SwampThing-Zone094.jpg
    And guess who's back
    SwampThing-Zone096.jpg

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    It's also because 3 pages is the limit we are allowed to post from any given book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Never said they were worthless, just entirely skippable and your ten bucks would be better spent on DD #12 and maybe trying out two other new series. If I knew what the outcome would have been beforehand by advance reviews or someone here, I would have not spent the six dollars for Punisher #10 and Daredevil #11 because there was no A to B to C with the story. It was A to B to A.

edit: if I were able to get the books for a buck each, that would be worthwhile. At three bucks each, didn't feel I got my money's worth.

The three separate books involved in this little crossover even are all enjoyable and worth picking up on their own. The artwork and dialogue are both rewarding, though.

The Omega Effect is skippable in that nothing huge happens. Story-wise, we knew what was happening in DD and the same plot is still intact afterwards. The Punisher is most affected, but even then it probably won't come to any fruition for a few issues.

Spidey will be Avenging with someone completely different next.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Thats toxin that eddie is wearing. Hah.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Those Venom pages
    Didn't the pumpkin guy get his head blown off by Frank back in Civil War?

Different Jack O' Lantern

Don't think we know the name of this new one
    Venom did horribly disfigure him with a grenade to the face, though

edited May 2012
    Atomic Robo FCBD 2012, such a great issue. Doctor Dinosaur created a Futuresaurus Rex, and never trust him for a team-up:
    atomicrobofcbd2012-a.jpg

atomicrobofcbd2012-b.jpg

atomicrobofcbd2012-c.jpg

atomicrobofcbd2012-d.jpg

TexiKen on
    There was an Atomic Robo FCBD issue? :( I didn't see that.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    They usually put the FCBD issues up on the Atomic Robo website, and Comixology. So, you'll still get a chance to read it.

My store was either out, or didn't order any of them. But, I got there pretty late, so I'd lean towards the former.

edited May 2012
    There's ALWAYS an Atomic Robo FCBD issue. It's usually the only time they use Dr. Dinosaur.

The pistols for his tiny T-Rex hands is the best, but it's also worth pointing out that Dr. Dinosaur has a bunch of sporty little outfits he wears through the issue. It is, as always, fantastic.

Crimsondude on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My motw was talking to Nick Bradshaw at my local comic shop since he's from the area. He's working getting a con here next here as well which is awesome to hear. :)

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was suprised I was able to get the Atomic Robo comic. But then I did pick up a lot of werid FCBD comics like the dangerous animal one, X-O manowar, I had forgotten what Witchblade was like. Looking at the list that was posted of what was avilable I did not see a lot of those and what I was was very different