As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    For a second there I thought a port of Infinite Space was coming to Steam but I have no idea of what to think about Endless Space.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    A-10C Warthog for $13.59 is the Daily.

That is a crazy price, I thought that it was a steal when it was 50% off.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Reverge Lab's Lovecraftian Horror/Cartoon/Tittyfest hardcore 2d fighting game Skullgirls is coming to PC any way you want it:
    The PC version of Skullgirls will be available for download through GameFly, GamersGate, GameStop PC Downloads, Origin TM, and Steam.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/169634/Skullgirls_to_Rush_Down_on_PC__in_2012.php

The dev confirmed no GFWL either.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Because it takes a shit-ton of work to simulate all the crap that is going on in a real simulator versus the more arcadey ones, and also because people who enjoy sims will pay for it.

I mean I suppose that's the case with any game. It just seems like a lot for not much content.

The manual for A10C is over 600 pages. Flight sims may not appeal to you (and they don't appeal to me, either), but saying that there's not enough "stuff" to justify the price probably isn't true.

Yeah, you're right. I just figured flight sims usually have more than 1 plane, don't they?

I think so, but I also don't think most sims have the same level of detail as the DCS games do. From what I've heard of them, calling them "flight sims" isn't really as accurate a description as "interactive flight instructional video". It's basically teaching you how to fly a real A10.

Yeah, it's not a game for people who are interested in flying planes, it's a "game" for people who are hardcore obsessed with flying one specific plane.

Also, everyone who hasn't watched the GB Quick Look should at least skip to the 7-minute mark and watch until around 7:30. :P

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    For a second there I thought a port of Infinite Space was coming to Steam but I have no idea of what to think about Endless Space.

Sounds cool to me, how have I never heard of this before?

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The individual titles in that EA bundle (Shank, Deathspank, Warp, Gatling Gears and any sequels) are all on sale now for 50 percent off, until the 9th. The actual bundle in question has not shown up yet.

• SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The individual titles in that EA bundle (Shank, Deathspank, Warp, Gatling Gears and any sequels) are all on sale now for 50 percent off, until the 9th. The actual bundle in question has not shown up yet.

Bundle is available now.

$20.98 in my region. What about you guys in the US?

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Wow...EA doesn't know how to price.

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Also, everyone who hasn't watched the GB Quick Look should at least skip to the 7-minute mark and watch until around 7:30. :P

Skip to 39:45 if you want to actually see the thing fly.
    Yes, it takes them 40 minutes to figure out how to get off the ground... which is why I am both scared by and intensely interested in this game. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

I don't know but this bit seem like they are doing a Kickstarter or something:
    Admiral Edition

500 G2G - Boost your Amplitude account and add 500 G2G to the value of your votes for the game art and design on our website.
    "Endless Space" Forum Account Award - Adds a unique "Endless Space" Award on your Amplitude forum profile. Available at the release of the game.
    Official Digital Soundtrack - Available at the release of the game.

Emperor Special Edition

Includes the Admiral Edition content, plus:

United Empire "Emperor's Guard Extra Skin" Pack - The community will vote for the look of the United Empire "Emperor's Guard Extra Skin" Pack through a special GAMES2GETHER vote.

Pay money to vote on content? Odd.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »

Bundle is available now.

Oh cool, they're all 50% off individually. I think I'll get Shank 2.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »

Bundle is available now.

um... the same. good job EA

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Because it takes a shit-ton of work to simulate all the crap that is going on in a real simulator versus the more arcadey ones, and also because people who enjoy sims will pay for it.

I mean I suppose that's the case with any game. It just seems like a lot for not much content.

The manual for A10C is over 600 pages. Flight sims may not appeal to you (and they don't appeal to me, either), but saying that there's not enough "stuff" to justify the price probably isn't true.

Yeah, you're right. I just figured flight sims usually have more than 1 plane, don't they?

In this case the sacrifice multiple pilotable vehicles for an insane amount of detail in the one you can fly...

Here's the Giant Bomb quick look that was posted a few pages back - it's nuts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huVi6rdPE4I

Really, when you think about it, apart from defying expectation, having only one pilotable vehicle isn't bad - most games have only one main character that you can control, and nobody minds that.

Ok, this video is hilarious. I also take back everything I said. I've done a 180. That game looks really freaking cool.

Steam: offday
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well that pretty much killed my interest in the bundle. If you're adverse Origin do note that Warp requires an Origin account apparently.

Probably just going to pick up Shank 2.

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the co-op in Shank 2 is online or local only?

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

In this case the sacrifice multiple pilotable vehicles for an insane amount of detail in the one you can fly...

Really, when you think about it, apart from defying expectation, having only one pilotable vehicle isn't bad - most games have only one main character that you can control, and nobody minds that.

Ok, this video is hilarious. I also take back everything I said. I've done a 180. That game looks really freaking cool.

I admit I'm thinking about it. I've always had a man-crush on the A-10 Warthog because it's one of the best damn planes ever made. They seriously took the idea of a big-ass gun that can rip through a tank, and decided to build a plane around it. Not only that, the A-10 can fly with one engine, one tail, one elevator, and half of one wing missing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I admit I'm thinking about it. I've always had a man-crush on the A-10 Warthog because it's one of the best damn planes ever made. They seriously took the idea of a big-ass gun that can rip through a tank, and decided to build a plane around it. Not only that, the A-10 can fly with one engine, one tail, one elevator, and half of one wing missing.

I think my favorite little factoid about the Warthog is that the gatling gun can actually reduce the aircraft's air speed. That's right, the recoil force of the gun is higher than the combined forward thrust of its two engines.

• DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    Should I even consider playing DSC A-10 if I just have a keyboard and mouse?

I think my favorite little factoid about the Warthog is that the gatling gun can actually reduce the aircraft's air speed. That's right, the recoil force of the gun is higher than the combined forward thrust of its two engines.

Who needs fancy schmancy F-22 Raptors?

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That's the magic of the steam thread. It can completely 180 you on a game. It's how gamers become farmers and soccer/football coaches.

I'm seriously considering getting the daily now, but I'm afraid flight sims are a slippery slope. And next I'll need a new joystick, and then more flight sims, and then a better joystick, etc.

anoffday on
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »

I would like to know this as well.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

I have no idea, but I'm guessing this guy would say no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIu87lKxZsI&feature=related

Yes, I know that's a different game. But I was looking for TrackIR videos and found this and had to share.

TheCanMan on
    edited May 2012
    :shock: Why doesn't he just buy a real plane? It might actually be cheaper.

anoffday on
  • BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    Well, a few hundred kW-Hrs of electricity is still a substantial savings over the jet fuel, so he's at least got that going for him.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Building one from scratch is about 10k, depending. All those little parts don't actually cost as much as you think from various kits and places. Biggest single expense was probably the screen. There are kits you can buy as well. Not sure what this guy did, but it's not an impossible thing to do. This is a fairly popular thing actually.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Who was that, moving silently in the shadows like a skilled ninja janitor? It was none other that @Lord_Snot, the classiest comrade in Steam, gifting me a copy of Dustforce out of the blue!
    Oh, and it's the soundtrack edition! ¡Muchísimas gracias Snot! SOaTQ.pngSOaTQ.pngSOaTQ.png.

HiT BiT on
    Hah that Revelations 2012 game that was posted here has already dropped its' price from 20 bucks to 10 bucks. 20 bucks for a four pack seems like a good spite gift.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I would like to know this as well.

I wouldn't recommend it. You'd just be making it harder on yourself, and it's already hard enough.

It has a "Game" mode that might be different, but I haven't tried it.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular

I have no idea, but I'm guessing this guy would say no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIu87lKxZsI&feature=related

Yes, I know that's a different game. But I was looking for TrackIR videos and found this and had to share.

Less than three monitors? Pfffft. Noob.

steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Any chance that Valve will open Port Royale 3 for pre-download? I'd like to have it ready to go for Friday. I've had a massive itch to play a sim game lately and I'm hoping that PR3 will scratch that itch. I've already got it preordered, I just need to download it.

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Any chance that Valve will open Port Royale 3 for pre-download? I'd like to have it ready to go for Friday. I've had a massive itch to play a sim game lately and I'm hoping that PR3 will scratch that itch. I've already got it preordered, I just need to download it.

Waiting on this game as well. Port Royale 1 was such a great Pirates! clone. They haven't said anything about pre-load on the publisher's forum (even on the German forum from what I understand with my Deutsch). They've really dropped the ball when it comes to marketing the game. There's almost no information out; I have no idea how it even plays in practice. I didn't even know it was in development until this week.

I think the time Port Royale 3 unlocks on Steam is also very weird. Usually European releases unlock at midnight GMT+1, this is more like late evening. Risen 2 seemed to be the same way originally, but they moved up the release to midnight. I'm hoping the same happens with PR3.

I think most, if not all of Steam's preload games are Steamworks titles, which I don't think Port Royale is. That combined with the relative niche nature of the game, I'd probably not bet on getting a preload.

• InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    My Steam community tab is down, is it the same for everyone else or is it just me?

camo_sig2.png
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    I've been screwing around in Bastion trying to finish all the Proving Grounds and Vigils before going into the last level. Only Vigil I have left is the "kill 3 enemies with a single Breaker Bow power shot" and the only Proving Grounds I haven't gotten 1st place in are for the hammer, pistols, and cannon. But I'm not sure whether I'll go right back into a new game+ or not. Which brings me to my question. I accidentally spoiled the fact that at the end:
    you get a choice between two endings. I immediately stopped reading, so I don't really know what that choice is going to be. And I don't want to know. But is one ending regarded as better than the other?

And I'm enjoying the game so much that I'm using this as my desktop wallpaper. (spoiler'd for huge)
    MvcRg.jpg

No decision is considered the best, it is up to the player. Also I would go into New Game+, you can play through the entire game in one sitting basically and the enhanced weapons definitely makes the Proving Grounds easier. This way you get to see both endings and hit all of the achievements. Also my desktop is set as The Kid facing off against a gas bag, it's amazing.

What's the difference in new game+? I have most of the weapons already max upgraded, I'm at lvl7, and I only have 3 proving grounds left (which I'll beat before starting the final level). Besides seeing what we're talking about in the spoiler, I don't really see what I'd gain from it.

They also saved the best two songs on the soundtrack for the last level, so get on that!

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    The Sega Genesis Classics Pack 5 is available!

...and doesn't include PS 1.

Was that terrible or something? I was looking forward to playing the series

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    It's for the Master System.

steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    oh.

Well.

Still, depressing.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I think I'll be picking up that Sega pack next week. I never had a genesis so it's a good chance for me to get to play them.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    The Sega Genesis Classics Pack 5 is available!

...and doesn't include PS 1.

Was that terrible or something? I was looking forward to playing the series
    Is $7.50 the normal price for Sega packs or is that a launch discount?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • nessinnessin Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

I just picked it up today, and it looks awesome. And if the current build is what they call an Alpha, I'd hate to imagine what the finished product will be. I've only had a couple hours to explore and play, but it has a ton of interesting mechanics to it. Battles are played out by selecting "cards" (strategies) for three phases (engagement ranges), and the card provides a bonus or negative if countered. Combat itself is real time but all you do is select the card and the rest plays out by itself in a cool little cutscene style fight where you watch each fleet slowly angle towards each other firing all the while. The main game itself is turn-based where you bundle your on-map units into fleets as a single unit, and systems are actually systems which can contain multiple planets. They also seperate out some buildings/improvements on a per planet basis and some on a per system basis, actually a whole lot like MoO3 but without all the ridiculous over-detail and forced AI control. Actually when I think about it now I'd almost describe the whole game as MoO3 done right.

Anyway, you should all buy the game right now if for no other reason than the UI designer needs a long and fruitful career in the industry. The UI, despite a few niggles here and there, is amazing.

This discussion has been closed.