As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say we can't base what will happen this year on what happened last year.

Yeah, I agree, I was commenting on the person who pulled incorrect data :)

• MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ah, you updated yours as I updated mine!

And yeah - that was the whole point - we can't base any year on any prior years because every year it gets worse/they go faster. Just so many people saying "OMG LAST YEAR WAS 22 DAYS HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!" Even looking at last year's thread, the same thing happened.

Melcene on
    melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • Evil_Demon55Evil_Demon55 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    For the past 4 months I have been checking the PAX website on a daily basis, waiting for new on Pax 2012 and waiting for any news on when the tickets will go on sale, when and what time. Though I never fully expected a time, I was aware the tickets were coming soon.

Last week, they went on sale and I was ready to purchase them asap, but by the time I could, the registration went offline. As far as I knew, only a few people got their tickets, meaning there was still a lot left. Wrong, because when it came back online today, when I was no where near a working computer, I waited to get home and purchase my tickets, and be happy. I have been anticipating this day since September.

What I am getting at is that the Penny Arcade never updated their customers that the tickets were actually lower than normal when the tickets came back online today. I knew they would sell out quickly, and when I saw they were sold out today, I was shocked, like Penny Arcade was, and annoyed. Why did PAX not acknowledge the fact that the tickets were low like they had in the past. If I saw that they were low, I would have dropped what I was doing and found a working computer and would have purchased my 3 day.

The ticket venue from last week not only screwed me over, but it screwed my friend over too. Now we cannot go, because by the time we decide which two days we want, they will be sold out. What there needed to be, for this case, was more updates on this website. Not everyone has a twitter, and twitter should not be the leading updater on serious issues such as this, twitter should be used for smaller updates.

I'm really dissappointed and wish I could attend all three days, but it looks like I won't be able to. What's worse is that people bought multiple tickets to sell on ebay. If this site allowed people to trade at face value still, then maybe a few more tickets would have been left. To prevent fake badges, this site takes away a great thread, but initailly screws others over. I'd rather have a few fake badges walking around then someone making 300% of their money back from ebay.

I don't blame PAX fully for my inability to purchase my tickets right away, but PAX really should have updated us more about this. For someone planning on buying these tickets for 8 months, and then being left out is just annoying. I wish I was able to buy my 3 day pass, but I mainly wish that PAX updated us more on the situation with the ticket sales, and especially since the tickets were already half sold from last week, they really should have informed us on that.

Sorry for this, but I am extremely dissapointed in this situation.

Evil_Demon55 on
  • KouzidanKouzidan Woodland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think that 2011 will be my last PAX. I have attended with a group that has grown every year since 2007. Today I was having an MRI done and it wasn't until several hours after that I discovered they'd finally went on sale and sold out of 3 day passes. Not a single person I've contacted was even aware that registration was open, so at the very least no one has bought any yet leaving the others in an awkward position. Buying 3 1 day passes doesn't bother me personally right this moment but it does for my friends who aren't exactly sporting enough fluid funds to cover the sudden unexpected price hike when we all purchased in the past within the first week of them going on sale.

How many hours before we are prompted with only Sunday passes remain? At this point my group may as well just fly everyone in at PDX and just spend the cash we otherwise would have had on a spare TV/console, board games, alcohol, Voodoo Donuts and a trip to Powell's. The only thing I'll miss out on will be League of Legend skins and 2 hour lines for panels/game demos.

Kouzidan on
    Origin: Kouzidan
    If I buy all 3 1 day passes and there is another event like Halo Fest, will I be able to get in it? Because if not then thats really dumb.

• ValgadisValgadis Just North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Makes me wonder if I'm S.O.L. or if I actually have the tickets I paid for last week. Managed to get in and server went down after I got the receipt page and printed it but I never did get any of the confirmation emails. REI even pulled the money out of my account on Friday. Shot an email over to the pax_questions email about it. Torn between just waiting to hear back and dropping even more money for the three 1-day passes.

PRIME 2013: Ticket [X] PTO [X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ] Head Explody Anticipation [X]
    <a href="http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177492/prime-2013-custom-pax-dice-rpg-set-wins-design-discussion-now-in-progress/p1">PAX Dice Set</a>: Dice Selected [X] Design Selected [ ] Colors Selected [ ] Order Made [ ]
    edited May 2012

zerzhul on
    If I buy all 3 1 day passes and there is another event like Halo Fest, will I be able to get in it? Because if not then thats really dumb.

Yes, the single day badges are no different than the 3-day badge other than their restriction to only be used on one day.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I've said this once and I'll say it again. We're not using this thread to track passes on ebay or craigslist. Keep this thread on track, or I will lock it.

E6LkoFK.png

• Eric8056Eric8056 Registered User regular
    For the past 4 months I have been checking the PAX website on a daily basis, waiting for new on Pax 2012 and waiting for any news on when the tickets will go on sale, when and what time. Though I never fully expected a time, I was aware the tickets were coming soon.

Last week, they went on sale and I was ready to purchase them asap, but by the time I could, the registration went offline. As far as I knew, only a few people got their tickets, meaning there was still a lot left. Wrong, because when it came back online today, when I was no where near a working computer, I waited to get home and purchase my tickets, and be happy. I have been anticipating this day since September.

What I am getting at is that the Penny Arcade never updated their customers that the tickets were actually lower than normal when the tickets came back online today. I knew they would sell out quickly, and when I saw they were sold out today, I was shocked, like Penny Arcade was, and annoyed. Why did PAX not acknowledge the fact that the tickets were low like they had in the past. If I saw that they were low, I would have dropped what I was doing and found a working computer and would have purchased my 3 day.

The ticket venue from last week not only screwed me over, but it screwed my friend over too. Now we cannot go, because by the time we decide which two days we want, they will be sold out. What there needed to be, for this case, was more updates on this website. Not everyone has a twitter, and twitter should not be the leading updater on serious issues such as this, twitter should be used for smaller updates.

I'm really dissappointed and wish I could attend all three days, but it looks like I won't be able to. What's worse is that people bought multiple tickets to sell on ebay. If this site allowed people to trade at face value still, then maybe a few more tickets would have been left. To prevent fake badges, this site takes away a great thread, but initailly screws others over. I'd rather have a few fake badges walking around then someone making 300% of their money back from ebay.

I don't blame PAX fully for my inability to purchase my tickets right away, but PAX really should have updated us more about this. For someone planning on buying these tickets for 8 months, and then being left out is just annoying. I wish I was able to buy my 3 day pass, but I mainly wish that PAX updated us more on the situation with the ticket sales, and especially since the tickets were already half sold from last week, they really should have informed us on that.

Sorry for this, but I am extremely dissapointed in this situation.

i agree .... i been waiting as well... then the site went down... now i get home from work today.. oh look the passes are sold out... great... not to mention i have the time requested off work as of the beginning of the year and now i have to pay a big price difference for no reason at all.. pax probably just made less 3 days so they could take our monies....

• ThemagicmoogleThemagicmoogle Registered User regular
    Welp. Suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret. I knew that they would sell fast like they did last year, and I knew I wanted to buy them this year. I set it up so twitter would update me when they went back on sale, and I checked at least twice a day.

The prices have been on for a while now, and we knew they would go on sale soon. You have no one to blame except yourself.

Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I've said this once and I'll say it again. We're not using this thread to track passes on ebay or craigslist. Keep this thread on track, or I will lock it.
    Oh really? I would have read that had my thread not been merged with this, so HOW is it my fault I missed your message? I didn't post that post in this thread. Please explain to me how I deserve that infraction when someone merged my thread... please do share.

zerzhul wrote: »

Yes, the single day badges are no different than the 3-day badge other than their restriction to only be used on one day.

That's a relief. Although, I never did see anyone with a single day pass in Halo Fest last year. If I were to do that 3 1 days, would they send the 4th Halo Fest badge or would I have to pick that one up? (If there was to be another said side event).

Oh really? I would have read that had my thread not been merged with this, so HOW is it my fault I missed your message? I didn't post that post in this thread. Please explain to me how I deserve that infraction when someone merged my thread... please do share.

Your pre-merged thread wasn't the magic e-bay tracking thread either.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Melcene wrote: »
    Ah, you updated yours as I updated mine!

And yeah - that was the whole point - we can't base any year on any prior years because every year it gets worse/they go faster. Just so many people saying "OMG LAST YEAR WAS 22 DAYS HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!" Even looking at last year's thread, the same thing happened.

Actually, the bolded says you can base it on prior years. Been going since '09, and each year they go faster. I had already assumed 3-day passes would last less than a week. Less than a day was a surprise, but not all that unexpected.

That's a relief. Although, I never did see anyone with a single day pass in Halo Fest last year. If I were to do that 3 1 days, would they send the 4th Halo Fest badge or would I have to pick that one up? (If there was to be another said side event).

You actually didn't need the halo-fest badge to get into halo-fest last year. That was a promotional item. Considering the confusion it caused, I doubt that there will be a repeat of a "promotional badge" for a side-event.

Your pre-merged thread wasn't the magic e-bay tracking thread either.
    No I did post the ebay post in that thread, but when he infracted me... TWICE, it was for posting in this thread, as he put it, not in this forum. Had he said this forum, then so be it, but he said this thread which implies that he warned us not to do it in THIS thread, but I technically didn't do it in this thread. Oh well, maybe he'll respond, or not....

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Get back on topic.

I'm not saying it again.

E6LkoFK.png

For people who never got a confirmation email last week when registration crashed and burned but did get charged for tickets is there any sort of ETA on "yes you got your tix" or a "nope here's your money back" response?

PRIME 2013: Ticket [X] PTO [X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ] Head Explody Anticipation [X]
    <a href="http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177492/prime-2013-custom-pax-dice-rpg-set-wins-design-discussion-now-in-progress/p1">PAX Dice Set</a>: Dice Selected [X] Design Selected [ ] Colors Selected [ ] Order Made [ ]
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    For the record, the average number of passes bought is absolutely meaningless for telling whether scalpers were behind the incredibly fast rate of sales or not. Variance would probably be more telling, if anything. Of course, getting data on how many of those sales had the same billing address would be even more telling.

• VRWLVRWL Registered User regular
    I still haven't received any sort of email confirmation regarding the Three Day Passes I purchased (and was charged for), so I've sent an email to the email address listed in this thread. Hopefully I can get some sort of confirmation that we have 2 Three Day Passes reserved for us.

You actually didn't need the halo-fest badge to get into halo-fest last year. That was a promotional item. Considering the confusion it caused, I doubt that there will be a repeat of a "promotional badge" for a side-event.

That's interesting. So the second badge was just a souvenir? Whenver the people checked my badge I thought they were checking both my 3 day and Halo Fest.

• PuppetShowJusticePuppetShowJustice Registered User regular
    Well. That's beyond disappointing. So my question becomes this: Can we buy additional exhibitor badges? Because I was opting to just buy my own 3-day passes in order to not cut into the exhibitor badges we get for our booth. But since I can't get a 3 day pass my options are either to not be able to support my brand or stop eating and buy at least half a dozen single day passes just to run the booth properly.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Valgadis wrote: »
    For people who never got a confirmation email last week when registration crashed and burned but did get charged for tickets is there any sort of ETA on "yes you got your tix" or a "nope here's your money back" response?

you should have gotten an email by now, email pax_questions@paxsite.com asap. :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

I already got a "You're in" email from Pax_Questions@paxsite.com. No actual barcode or anything from the new system, that was to come later as I understood (that being said, when I registered for the hotel it sucked my data down from somewhere because it already knew who I was.)

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They could probably eliminate 90% of the scalping by including an legal notice that says you can't scalp passes that you have to agree to before purchasing them. A lot of scalpers are legitimate businesses who would probably steer clear of any potential legal hassles involved with scalping passes.

BTW, scalping refers specifically to selling passes at higher than face value. Such a legal agreement wouldn't prevent reselling.

you should have gotten an email by now, email pax_questions@paxsite.com asap. :)

I made sure to do that as soon as I got home and went through every last email in my spam folder in the vain hopes that maybe... just maybe it got lost in there. Now I'm just waiting on a response though from what someone said earlier the response turnaround is a bit lagged. Probably due to sheer volumes of emails.

• WongafiedWongafied Registered User new member
    What bothers me most about the selling out of passes is the time picked to open registration, 2 pm pacific time on a Wednesday i happen to be in school and did not get out until 2 hours after 3 day registration was done. The time when registration opened completely screwed me and most regular working people on the west coast. If you have a regular 9-5 job and have to drive a longer commute then 30 mins which i don't know any one that has less then a 45 minute commute but i digress. There is no way you could make registration for 3 day passes. With the addition of PAX east it would be plausible that the time of registration to open should be more favorable to the west coast.

I still plan on attempting to go with 3, 1 day passes but I have to wait until my room partner says he still wants to go, which he is unsure off, if not the chances of being able to attend. Being a college student adding 40$ is a big add when the budget is already tight as it is. I personally am willing to pay more to be able to attend PAX but if I lose my room partner it will be too steep. I am not complaining about the extra price yet I see how for some people who I know that live in the seattle area and were planing on taking the metro all three days 40$ would be a stretch.

P.S. next year I might need a more committed room partner

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If you are not happy about scalpers this is probably a good place to start.

http://www.seattle.gov/council/

steam_sig.png
    If I do buy 3 1 days, could I just get 1 3 day pass sent to me? Seeing as they are the same things, it would just be easier to have 1 pass instead of 3, and if I buy 3 1 days, then I am buying a 3 day essentially. Is this a possibility?

• VRWLVRWL Registered User regular

Any idea how long it will take pax_questions@paxsite.com to reply to the email asking for assistance? Only reason I ask is because the backup is the single day passes and it looks like those are going quick too.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No. Just wear all three badges at the same time. Many do.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    The Official PAX Twitter is being really helpful & answering questions right now, for those interested.

For those who think they 'made' less 3-Day badges this year, this is false. It's the same as last year. The demand is simply higher, which just means more of us want to get together & share this experience every year. Think about all of you who have gone in previous years, loved it & brought two friends the next. Those two friends are now bringing two friends. Pass the love! But also understand when the love fills capacity.

• JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    I don't see what the city of Seattle has to do with scalping...

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    The Official PAX Twitter is being really helpful & answering questions right now, for those interested.

For those who think they 'made' less 3-Day badges this year, this is false. It's the same as last year. The demand is simply higher, which just means more of us want to get together & share this experience every year. Think about all of you who have gone in previous years, loved it & brought two friends the next. Those two friends are now bringing two friends. Pass the love! But also understand when the love fills capacity.

You make it sound so tawdry...

Selling outside the venue is the last resort of scalpers. Seattle could make this illegal. It would chill the scalper market quite a bit.

Theoretically.

• KouzidanKouzidan Woodland, WARegistered User regular
    JHawk wrote: »

Every year scalpers stand outside the center and little to nothing is done about it. If a scalper can't scalp, there is no profit to be made and thus no reason for them to do it. That is how I read it anyway.

Origin: Kouzidan
  • BowieBowie Registered User regular
    Good to know I'll be seeing a ton of scalpers on street corners like last year.

Seriously you guys botch the first attempt I get on to instantly buy those passes and I watch like a hawk for all the days since so I could get my 3 day pass and instead you pick the one day I can't get on and they just all go F-ing poof, So f-ing frustrating not only that I (and I'm sure many others) feel completely screwed by what transpired.. but that it is OBVIOUS that once again we're going to see a bunch of A-hole scalpers on street corners holding stacks of passes they're not going to use, and will try to sell at inflated prices.

I love your convention but it is a horrible problem that needs to be fixed, and in the future, be 100% sure that your registration date is your actual registration date....

/end rant

• stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    Glad i checked as soon as i got home today. Still missed the three days but really happy i can still go every day of pax this year.

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It happens even if it is illegal, but I'll put in a notice to the local police department about the potential for scalping the weekend of PAX if people want me to.

JHawk on
This discussion has been closed.