As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Hotel Discussion

• hardreturnhardreturn Registered User regular
    i'm with my wife at the sheraton. looking forward to it!

• AlaendilAlaendil Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I just looked it up and it seems I was about 3 miles away (mutter), but we took the rail system most of the time. The last night we took a cab and I wanted to slap my friend for making me trek through the rail system when the cab ride was so quick. I figured I'd had too much to drink and never really thought about it again.

Your responses pretty much confirmed what I thought, thanks guys/gals .... I'll take the plunge tomorrow when I validate my PTO, hopefully hotels don't sell out as fast as 3 day passes *sheesh*

• Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    If I book with the Sheraton, but then cancel later on, will I get my money back?

• HeartpiercedHeartpierced PreMonkey Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Was too slow to get into the Sheraton. Been there twice for Pax, like it. So, booked the Westin. Any thoughts about that one? All I know is that it's further away, costs the same, and is round.

Remember, you are unique. Just like everyone else.
    Twitter: @heartpierced
    Facebook: Nuclearpowered
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Zoroark173 wrote: »
    If I book with the Sheraton, but then cancel later on, will I get my money back?

Check their terms... I think you get up to 72 hours before check-in to cancel without being charged.

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Alaendil wrote: »
    I just looked it up and it seems I was about 3 miles away (mutter), but we took the rail system most of the time. The last night we took a cab and I wanted to slap my friend for making me trek through the rail system when the cab ride was so quick. I figured I'd had too much to drink and never really thought about it again.

Your responses pretty much confirmed what I thought, thanks guys/gals .... I'll take the plunge tomorrow when I validate my PTO, hopefully hotels don't sell out as fast as 3 day passes *sheesh*

Book now, there's no cancellation fees up to 72 hours before hand.

You haven't paid anything yet, and won't until just before hand.

• AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Booked at the Sheraton! Staying from Wednesday to Tuesday.

First PAX Prime (East veteran), first time on the West Coast. IT'S ON.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    seems like all the hotels are booked...
    EDIT: Nvm looks like you can only book through the PAX site

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    What the hell is with the Homewood charging $10 extra a night per person? Oy.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Was too slow to get into the Sheraton. Been there twice for Pax, like it. So, booked the Westin. Any thoughts about that one? All I know is that it's further away, costs the same, and is round.

Stayed at the Westin last year. It's very nice, but an older building so the sound carries a bit.

Nothing. Matters.
  • sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    were are staying at the kings inn 3 of us for 500 bucks for the whole duration of pax we could use a 4th person so yea

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    sarge1445 wrote: »
    were are staying at the kings inn 3 of us for 500 bucks for the whole duration of pax we could use a 4th person so yea

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/159748/prime-pax-prime-2012-room-share-thread

• L1ONHEARTL1ONHEART zZzZzZz USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Booked at the Sheraton for Thursday-Saturday night.

Does anyone know how late the "late" check-out is on Sunday? Cheers!

L1ONHEART on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I don't recall getting charged a "guarantee fee" in '09 or '10. Can someone explain when that gets charged to my card?

Rius wrote: »
    I don't recall getting charged a "guarantee fee" in '09 or '10. Can someone explain when that gets charged to my card?

It doesn't really get charged, it get's "authed" (or at least that's how it's worked recently) to prove that you have the money available, and it would get charged if you cancel your reservation too close to the event.

My mom won't let me reserve a room. She says that she can get a better deal through her work, and if not, we are going to stay at her cousins house who lives 1 HOUR AWAY from PAX! She says that she would much rather drive for an hour every morning/night than pay 175$ a night.

• GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    My mom won't let me reserve a room. She says that she can get a better deal through her work, and if not, we are going to stay at her cousins house who lives 1 HOUR AWAY from PAX! She says that she would much rather drive for an hour every morning/night than pay 175$ a night.

She might be able to get a better deal, but most of the hotels close to the convention center are fully booked as part of the PAX block.

zerzhul wrote: »

It doesn't really get charged, it get's "authed" (or at least that's how it's worked recently) to prove that you have the money available, and it would get charged if you cancel your reservation too close to the event.

The way I read it, it's not even Authed until 72 hours before. (Granted, YMMV and such). I have seen 0 movement on my credit card (and I don't recall seeing movement last year until 72 hours before.)

tsrblke wrote: »

The way I read it, it's not even Authed until 72 hours before. (Granted, YMMV and such). I have seen 0 movement on my credit card (and I don't recall seeing movement last year until 72 hours before.)

Yeah, I think that's correct.

GeeCee wrote: »

She might be able to get a better deal, but most of the hotels close to the convention center are fully booked as part of the PAX block.

I tried to tell my mom that, but she wouldnt listen ;_; oh well, I guess I'll just sleep in the car.

• SamuraiCiceroSamuraiCicero Registered User regular
    Booked at the Sheraton Tuesday through Monday night. Never stayed there in all my PAXen but looking forward to the change.

Is it PAX yet?

Yeah, I think that's correct.

Huh, I just stumbled across my email from last year and it cautioned that they could auth the deposit up to 30 days in advance. No similar warning in this years just a "See hotel policy." Just be aware.

Side note: Tons of people coming down earlier than I would have thought, seeing a lot of Tuesdays and what not. That's pretty cool. We deviated from our original "Thurs-Mon." plan because the cost of adding an extra day due to cheaper flights was not that much. I was stunned however that the Grand Hyatt appears to have allocated ZERO 2 bed rooms for Wednesday. (Our tag along friend is cast to the floor as a result of that.)

• eStalkereStalker Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    i booked at the sheraton and this year they required a 200 dollar deposit

• JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    I live an hour away and I just booked the Sheraton. I figured I can cancel it once talking to friends and see if they just want a one night or what.

Either way...glad I made it in with the 3 day passes and that hotel. I have a medical condition so it would be nice to take a break if I get too tired

Jensunami wrote: »
    I live an hour away and I just booked the Sheraton. I figured I can cancel it once talking to friends and see if they just want a one night or what.

Either way...glad I made it in with the 3 day passes and that hotel. I have a medical condition so it would be nice to take a break if I get too tired

i live about 40 mins away to the north and got a room for the same reasons. we might be soul mates.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm right across the water but screw trying to catch the last ferry at night. And having to be able to drive when I get across.

• mike923mike923 Registered User regular
    Booked at the Paramount Hotel, which seems to be sold out now. Any reviews of that one? Seems to get good reviews on other sites.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    God damn, only barely managed to get reservations at Hyatt. It's the last hotel available within drunk stumble distance from the WTCC.

wWuzwvJ.png
    eStalker wrote: »

Did the charge that up front? My Hyatt reservation discussed the $220 deposit (the $20 difference likely being the price difference+taxes between the hotels) but upon further reading it seemed to imply it wouldn't be charged for a long while.

TOGSolid wrote: »
    God damn, only barely managed to get reservations at Hyatt. It's the last hotel available within drunk stumble distance from the WTCC.

Drunk stumble distance is important.

I still don't know how I got back to the Sheraton on Saturday night last year. Some kind of crazy liquor-fueled autopilot.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Frack. Was on the forums at work, but only until very early in the afternoon central time. My friends and I were able to get a single bed (we'll work something out) at the Hyatt, but man; we were hoping for the Sheraton again. Guess we'll have to watch the hotel availability page like hawks and hope we get lucky like we did last year and look right when a smattering of rooms were released to PAX well after registration was opened.

Frack. Was on the forums at work, but only until very early in the afternoon central time. My friends and I were able to get a single bed (we'll work something out) at the Hyatt, but man; we were hoping for the Sheraton again. Guess we'll have to watch the hotel availability page like hawks and hope we get lucky like we did last year and look right when a smattering of rooms were released to PAX well after registration was opened.

Some are newly opened rooms, some are cancellations. But yeah, I got my Sheraton room last year like one month out. It wasn't available, so I booked the Roosevelt. Then I checked a couple days later, and it had opened up. So book something nearby now (which you have), and watch for anything better.

• aludrachaosaludrachaos Registered User regular
    Just wondering: Since all of the PAX rooms seem to be standard rooms, going up to a maximum of 4 people/2 double beds, what do they do with all their bigger suites and luxury rooms in the meantime?

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was hoping to score the Sheraton this year too just to do something different and because it's basically the big PAX hotel with stuff going on inside.

That's ok, I've been to the Hyatt and it's pretty swank so I ain't mad.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012

Did the charge that up front? My Hyatt reservation discussed the $220 deposit (the $20 difference likely being the price difference+taxes between the hotels) but upon further reading it seemed to imply it wouldn't be charged for a long while.

my receipt reads "DEPOSIT : $202.30" though my debit card has not yet been charged. the receipt does not list a date in the future that it will be charged, just that the deposit was required.

i tried to walk through the process again just to be sure but it looks like the sheraton is already off the available list.

**edit: here is the official policy "
    Hotel Policies
    Deposit Policy
    First night's room and tax by credit card guarantee is required."

eStalker on
    i stayed at the roosevelt for ECCC and it is definitely drunk/stumble distance. the walls were like paper and i could hear my neighbor's conversations through the bathroom vents but we made the most of it. the roosevelt is definitely an acceptable choice if the sheraton isn't available. i've also stayed at the red lion in the past and the rooms were surprising nice. they also have a nice english food themed restaurant and bar in the hotel if you don't mind the walk.

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    my receipt reads "DEPOSIT : $202.30" though my debit card has not yet been charged. the receipt does not list a date in the future that it will be charged, just that the deposit was required.

i tried to walk through the process again just to be sure but it looks like the sheraton is already off the available list.
    The actual deposit does not go through until between a month prior to the day of check-in. Please remember, though, it may take up to three business days for it to completely process, so it may just state "Pending" when you look it up in the online banking statement when the time comes.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    Just wondering: Since all of the PAX rooms seem to be standard rooms, going up to a maximum of 4 people/2 double beds, what do they do with all their bigger suites and luxury rooms in the meantime?

3852582647_90d25c3906_o.jpg

(no idea, actually, but probably not far off...there aren't that many suites and there are some celebs and big-whigs that come into town...plus Bumbershoot just down the road)

oh that's right. bumbershoot is the same weekend.

if you are looking for a nicer room you should go straight to the hotel web page or give them a call. i was able to get a much nicer suite one year, though i wasn't able to get the pax discount.

and thanks for the update on the time frame for the 'deposit' withdrawal. luckily i am in a position that i had the money saved and set aside for pax early this year so it's ok if they take it out now but i've spent many other years panicking, wondering if i could make the reservation without having the cash in hand.

mcdermott wrote: »

{snipped image}

(no idea, actually, but probably not far off...there aren't that many suites and there are some celebs and big-whigs that come into town...plus Bumbershoot just down the road)

Last year Hyatt offered us a suite if we were willing to take 2 rooms and condense into said suite. Sadly we knew no one else in the Hyatt that year. This year however. #preperation
    My guess is they hope to sell them to VIPs, Celebs, Corperations. But if they don't they try to figure out how to get more money from people trying to either get or extend reservations at the last minute (we were the latter last year.)

**edit: here is the official policy "
    Hotel Policies
    Deposit Policy
    First night's room and tax by credit card guarantee is required."

Indeed, mine says the same thing. Since this is a post-pay hotel (as opposed to the more common Pre-Pay) I think that applies much closer to the date (i.e. w/in the cancellation window.)

This discussion has been closed.