As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    IshmaelDS wrote: »
    I completely agree with DJBreslin. Up the price and move it back to where it was in 2010 with the 500 seats and I can pretty much guarantee you will still sell out within the first couple days. I know I would pay more.

It is highly unlikely we will regain the space we had in 2010 so there's no use suggesting that one. Expo brings in more dollars than PC room does :P

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I'll add my small voice to the frustrated list. BYOC has been my favorite part of PAX for the past two years, ever since I discovered it. The little community-within-a-community that comes from spending far too many hours of PAX hanging out there is something I look forward to more than any other part of the convention.

I am extremely disappointed that it appears I'll be missing it this year. My three-day pass is secured, but I'm at a loss for what I'm going to do with it right now. Handheld lounge for 8 hours?

• geoffleegeofflee Registered User regular
    Dang, me too. I've been a loyal BYOC attendee since 2009, and it looks like I'll have to take my chances on the black market this year.

Because the tickets are now transferable, I have a bad feeling that a scalper probably bought-up all the tickets.

• DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    I completely agree with DJBreslin. Up the price and move it back to where it was in 2010 with the 500 seats and I can pretty much guarantee you will still sell out within the first couple days. I know I would pay more.

It is highly unlikely we will regain the space we had in 2010 so there's no use suggesting that one. Expo brings in more dollars than PC room does :P

Just for the sake of conversation... not suggesting expo hall is where to find space, was thinking more like the theaters. Does PA get paid by guest speakers? Sometimes it seems like they're scrounging for content. That's just my opinion, of course. And I realize the space may not be contiguous / easily used.

• IshmaelDSIshmaelDS IT Guy Vancouver, BCRegistered User new member

I have no doubt that the expo hall brings in more dollars, but I know I would be willing to pay double, and if you are able to get more space I can pretty much guarantee you'll fill it for twice the price.

DJBreslin wrote: »

Just for the sake of conversation... not suggesting expo hall is where to find space, was thinking more like the theaters. Does PA get paid by guest speakers? Sometimes it seems like they're scrounging for content. That's just my opinion, of course. And I realize the space may not be contiguous / easily used.

Theaters entertain far more people than BYOC possibly can. Sadly theres not much room for expansion for PC room for prime without going far offsite.

The only thing that can be done is make sure its just those intrested in BYOC that get the tickets.

I have already sugguested a seperate reg link (through the pax reg system) thats *just* for BYOC passes.

We wont see until next year if that turns out that way.

• RandomX23RandomX23 Registered User new member
    what are the stipulations that determine how many seats will be available for BYOC?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    RandomX23 wrote: »
    what are the stipulations that determine how many seats will be available for BYOC?

Space, afaik.

• JHawkJHawk Registered User regular
    Without Halofest this year though, won't that free up the 3rd floor of the annex? I assumed that's why they had to move some of the expo hall to the 6th floor last year, which took away part of the PC room.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    JHawk wrote: »
    Without Halofest this year though, won't that free up the 3rd floor of the annex? I assumed that's why they had to move some of the expo hall to the 6th floor last year, which took away part of the PC room.

They may use that space for something else.

• JurgmanJurgman Tech Director NYC, NJ, LARegistered User regular
    I'd like a "second chance" drawing be available for us that really would like to be in BYOC this year.

I just have no clear idea how that could work. But I would bring my gaming rig on a chance to get a last minute "standby" seat. Though I have a feeling this is going to be shot down, for a good reason.

• DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    So, 3 day badges just sold out. I have to imagine we're later going to learn that something weird is afoot. Everyone in my office is speculating on that. Hacked, bad data import from original reg site to current reg site, scalpers buying huge allotments of tickets, etc. We're probably all just trying to cook up some kind of drama in our minds. :)

At the very least, this is a good lesson for next year. Except that I was *all over* it for my friends this year and we still failed. Ha.

• trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    Well PAX, it's been a fun 4 years, but I suppose I'll look into that Hawaii trip I've been wanting to do so badly. So much for being an adult and having to work late, passes sold out before I got home.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Well PAX, it's been a fun 4 years, but I suppose I'll look into that Hawaii trip I've been wanting to do so badly. So much for being an adult and having to work late, passes sold out before I got home.

Oneday passes are still available. It's more expensive I suppose (or you could just buy 2 1-days.)

• Professor Guy JrProfessor Guy Jr Registered User new member
    Why? Why do you do this to me PAX? I looking forward to this for so long, I had $200 dollars saved up, DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS FOR ME!? This was the one thing I was looking forward to this year, my birthday? NO! Christmas? HELL NO! The only thing I wanted to celebrate was that I was going to PAX. I wanted to watch Will play D&D :( but no, there is no longer any 3-day-passes, it raised $40 dollars. That may not seem like much, but for a person like me, with the income I have, 40 dollars is a lot. I still love you Penny-Arcade, Will, and all of PAX, but you break me heart :,(

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    bitterfun wrote: »
    I'm willing to give up my virginity and $$ for a BYOC seat.

That sounds like a craigslist ad ;)

This space for rent
  • GreenemachineGreenemachine Registered User regular
    I think if there is something to be learned from this, it is that BYOC should be expanded, not contracted.

I think if there is something to be learned from this, it is that BYOC should be expanded, not contracted.

I am pretty sure I was raging about this exactly 1 year ago. Trust me, I know.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    BigRed, you mentioned that we're getting something regarding BYOC in the mail with our regular passes, will they be the actual badges or do we have to pick those up on-site again?

row1.pngrow2.png
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    FWIW, thanks for your hard work, Red. :) I managed to get a pass but missed out last year. As always, the familiar refrain of 'SHIT SELLS OUT YO' rings true.

• BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, that was the fastest yet!

BigRed, you mentioned that we're getting something regarding BYOC in the mail with our regular passes, will they be the actual badges or do we have to pick those up on-site again?

You will get them in the mail along with your 3day passes!

GeeCee wrote: »
    FWIW, thanks for your hard work, Red. :) I managed to get a pass but missed out last year. As always, the familiar refrain of 'SHIT SELLS OUT YO' rings true.

• BlueBear42BlueBear42 Boise,IDRegistered User new member
    well if anyone has the funds for it, there are people selling badges on ebay for around $300 a pop. I don;t know why assholes go and do that shit.

last year I wasn't expecting them to sell out as quick as they did so I ended up not able to go. The year before that I had to sell a pass I had to someone else because I had sudden medical bills to take care of. The year before that my car broke down while I was driving to Seattle. This year I saved my money and made sure everything was ready. I read earlier today that they went live so I rushed home after work only to see they sold out in about 12hrs and I have a damn good feeling that it's because of assholes like this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Tickets-/1305/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=PAX+Prime is why many many of us can't enjoy pax.

• NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So... does this mean PAX BYOC/3-Day registration has reached Comic Con speeds?

If so, next year will be a nightmare. I predict sell-out in 5 hours (or less, 2 hours max for BYOC) and lots of fighting the servers.

I would know. -shudder-

Nazoshadow on
    Nazoshadow wrote: »
    So... does this mean PAX BYOC/3-Day registration has reached Comic Con speeds?

If so, next year will be a nightmare. I predict sell-out in 5 hours (or less, 2 hours max for BYOC) and lots of fighting the servers.

I would know. -shudder-

Its going to be like blizzcon and sell out in like 10 minutes next year.

DJBreslin wrote: »

Theaters entertain far more people than BYOC possibly can. Sadly theres not much room for expansion for PC room for prime without going far offsite.

The only thing that can be done is make sure its just those intrested in BYOC that get the tickets.

I have already sugguested a seperate reg link (through the pax reg system) thats *just* for BYOC passes.

We wont see until next year if that turns out that way.

Separate reg link ftw.

• matguymatguy Registered User regular
    BlueBear42 wrote: »
    well if anyone has the funds for it, there are people selling badges on ebay for around $300 a pop. I don;t know why assholes go and do that shit.

last year I wasn't expecting them to sell out as quick as they did so I ended up not able to go. The year before that I had to sell a pass I had to someone else because I had sudden medical bills to take care of. The year before that my car broke down while I was driving to Seattle. This year I saved my money and made sure everything was ready. I read earlier today that they went live so I rushed home after work only to see they sold out in about 12hrs and I have a damn good feeling that it's because of assholes like this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Tickets-/1305/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=PAX+Prime is why many many of us can't enjoy pax.

Having an ebay auction listed at $300 does not make a ticket sold for $300.

• JinxterJinxter Registered User regular
    sorry for the rant...but here goes...WTF!?!?!?!?!
    I have been going to PAX since 2008 and have managed to get the 3 day pass every year except last year (my fault) but I notice that the passes went on sale when I was at work (I work in a secure Govt area where I cannot carry my smartphone...) and the passes are sold out before I can even get home? BS!!! I am not going to spend more money for 2 days because you guys cannot sell your registration at a time when most of us working stiffs might be home. I will use this money for something else...and I will tell all of my buds, who also had planned to go to not bother this year.

I have a not so humble request for next year...DON'T START SELLING REGISTRATIONS UNTIL AFTER 1800 PST TO GIVE US WORKING STIFFS A CHANCE!

• YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    matguy wrote: »
    BlueBear42 wrote: »

Having an ebay auction listed at $300 does not make a ticket sold for $300.

That is true, but there was one listing where the guy had four 3-day passes, and listed them for $200 each, and one of them sold before the guy closed the listing. That's the hilarious one, really, someone paid $200 while the 1-day passes are still available.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jinxter wrote: »
    I have been going to PAX since 2008 and have managed to get the 3 day pass every year except last year (my fault) but I notice that the passes went on sale when I was at work (I work in a secure Govt area where I cannot carry my smartphone...) and the passes are sold out before I can even get home? BS!!! I am not going to spend more money for 2 days because you guys cannot sell your registration at a time when most of us working stiffs might be home. I will use this money for something else...and I will tell all of my buds, who also had planned to go to not bother this year.

I have a not so humble request for next year...DON'T START SELLING REGISTRATIONS UNTIL AFTER 1800 PST TO GIVE US WORKING STIFFS A CHANCE!

Yelling on the forums is counter productive, though I feel for you. That being said... discussions about 3-Day Badges, or lack thereof, is probably best done not in the BYOC thread.

As BigRed has mentioned several times last year and this year, PAX is big, shit sells out yo. Lots of people wanna attend, lots of people wanna play in BYOC. It's obvious that people have stepped up their game this year and were fast on the draw. Trust me when I say, I think it surprised everyone (Enforcers and PA alike). Having said that, getting terribly upset, or making threats, kind of doesn't really help your situation except make Moe wanna infract you more.

BigRed is working on getting answers for you guys in regards to whether or not BYOC passes will be available as people refund, as well as some of the other questions that have been brought up. He's working really hard to ensure that every seat gets filled so that BYOC is the best that it can be. =)

Thanks for bearing with us as we go through this process, and just know that we're constantly learning from these types of experiences for the next PAX. =)

Keep in mind Wheaton's Law. We're all here for the same reason.

Thanks!

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • aludrachaosaludrachaos Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

There's going to be a League of Legends NA regional tournament at PAX Prime this year. I'd hazard a guess that that's probably going to take up the space that Halofest did last year.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

There's going to be a League of Legends NA regional tournament at PAX Prime this year. I'd hazard a guess that that's probably going to take up the space that Halofest did last year.

It's sad that this comment has made me realize that I didn't even step foot inside of the Halofest area last year, but I'm pretty sure there were other expo booths up there, besides Halofest, and I'd actually be pretty surprised, if expo didn't keep that space for this year. My best guess, is what BigRed and others have already said: I think we're looking at being in the same size area (afaik, the same room) as PAX Prime 2011.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • WedjatWedjat SeattleRegistered User regular
    Jinxter wrote: »

Time zones are an issue, however...

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    No matter what time you put badges on sale, BYOC, 3-Day, whatevs, somebody gets screwed.

Not everybody works day shifts.

Not everybody works night shifts.

Weekdays, weekends, etc. You just can't win.

• zakur0zakur0 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    BYOC... cool ^___^

zakur0 on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This year I thought I'd be proactive. Not proactive enough, apparently!

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Good thing that my boyfriend and I reg for PAX and BYOC...

SiLlYxAzN on
  • MLORDMLORD Registered User regular
    Are scalpers seriously this bad this year as to have almost all badges sell out in less than 24 hours???? I mean literally EVERY badge almost in 24 hours, someone should really look into this

M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
  • MLORDMLORD Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    especially irritated because of trying to register previously and having a problem completing the transaction and then to check literally every day to wake up and in less than 24 hours everything gone.... Ill have to seriously think about my continued attendance to PAX Prime for any future years if this is the case.... 5 years in and loved every year, this is just a bit ridiculous.

MLORD on
    M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
This discussion has been closed.