As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    Whaaaaaattttt I just got home from school and 3 days are already sold out .___.
    There must be a huge number of remaining one days. Pa makes more on one days XD

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    @Zerzhul,

Fair enough, my apologies for drifitng OT. Discussing pecularities is in my nature regardless of any real world import.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tsrblke wrote: »
    @Zerzhul,

Fair enough, my apologies for drifitng OT. Discussing pecularities is in my nature regardless of any real world import.

No worries, It could just become a long debate/discussion :)

• WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    Complexity wrote: »
    Whaaaaaattttt I just got home from school and 3 days are already sold out .___.
    There must be a huge number of remaining one days. Pa makes more on one days XD

lol yeah i got lucky i got home in time to get mine.YAY EARLY DAY. and I think everyone was sitting around WAITING for the reg to come back up.lol i know i was.I even went and got myself a twitter account so i'd be notified when it was.lol.

lol yeah i got lucky i got home in time to get mine.YAY EARLY DAY. and I think everyone was sitting around WAITING for the reg to come back up.lol i know i was.I even went and got myself a twitter account so i'd be notified when it was.lol.

I was going to write a program to check the pax page every hour and text me when it came up when I got home.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I was going to write a program to check the pax page every hour and text me when it came up when I got home.

I'll keep point out that Twitter can do the same for you.

Follow @Official_PAX. Turn on SMS notification (just for @Official_PAX) right after East. Boom.

• OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    I can't believe the 3 Day passes sold out that quickly. That is absolutely insane. Oh well, I got my individual passes, so all is good.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular

Just subscribe on Twitter and use text message updates. The reg link was actually on Twitter several minutes before it was on the site.

row1.pngrow2.png
    Yeah, I know twitter works, but I wanted to be special.

• NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    Any news on PAXDev?

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I believe someone on Twitter said info on PAXDev will be posted either the end of this week (which is soon) or sometime next week.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    So am I reading the other stickied thread right?

There is going to be no second hand thread for passes on the forums this year?

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Eticket109 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a rule change they made after last year. A while ago, people sold (or tried to sell) counterfeit passes in this forum's thread. There's no way to guarantee that anyone who posts here isn't a counterfeiter, so it's safer for everyone involved to not have the thread.

I know it's sad, but it's for a good reason.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    Eticket109 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a rule change they made after last year. A while ago, people sold (or tried to sell) counterfeit passes in this forum's thread. There's no way to guarantee that anyone who posts here isn't a counterfeiter, so it's safer for everyone involved to not have the thread.

I know it's sad, but it's for a good reason.

That makes sense. It's a shame though since most were legit and at face value opposed to the 3x+ prices out in the wilds.

• zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    I'm very glad that we snagged our passes. This is a first time PAXer worrying that I'd miss it for the 3rd time.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • EsoomEsoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sorry if I'm not asking in the correct area, but I'm just wondering if this is happening this year? I couldn't seem to find a thread for it :/

Esoom on
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Do you have to pay upfront with onpeak? Since two of my hotel choices are already gone I want to book at the Westin and make sure I won't be broke for the next 2 weeks

sanovah on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edit: whoops, thread got merged. This is in regards to the guy who asked about Triwizard.

Thread isn't posted yet. People who arrange it are likely drunk. It will appear when they stagger into consciousness long enough to remember bbcode.

(That is to say, apparently that thread goes up at a semi random time each year. Keep watching the forums.)

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've booked with OnPeak with a credit card 6-7 times now and not once have they charged me before my stay.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    Information for anyone wanting to book hotels for any PAX. Book a hotel as soon as the OnPeak system is up, even if you think you won't need, or have no idea if you'll need it. Your card doesn't get charged and it's extremely easy to change or cancel your booking since it's all held by OnPeak until they pass it on to the actual hotel systems a couple weeks before PAX.

• JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    Information for anyone wanting to book hotels for any PAX. Book a hotel as soon as the OnPeak system is up, even if you think you won't need, or have no idea if you'll need it. Your card doesn't get charged and it's extremely easy to change or cancel your booking since it's all held by OnPeak until they pass it on to the actual hotel systems a couple weeks before PAX.

Does that mean I could book with a debit card and then change it to a credit card shortly afterwards? My credit card will expire next month and I cannot book a hotel on the system with it until it is renewed. If I could use my debit card to at least guarantee my booking, then change to my new credit card as soon as I get it then I might just do that.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    JamieOD wrote: »

Does that mean I could book with a debit card and then change it to a credit card shortly afterwards? My credit card will expire next month and I cannot book a hotel on the system with it until it is renewed. If I could use my debit card to at least guarantee my booking, then change to my new credit card as soon as I get it then I might just do that.

@JamieOD Yes. You can absolutely edit the credit card through the OnPeak page. Just looked.

Now go! ;)

mcdermott on
  • JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Done and done. Thanks, @mcdermott. Thanks too to everyone for all of the advice given throughout the forum.

JamieOD on
  • 2spock2spock Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    nvm did not see other thread about buying/selling tickets

2spock on
  • AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    NeuralLink wrote: »
    Any news on PAXDev?
    They've said this week, but some details:
    Same as last year in terms of prices.
    Same timeframe (Wednesday/Thursday)

Also, if you forget you can usually just swap the card at the hotel too. (The Preauth might end up on your debit card so be warned, but it should drop off eventually. This shouldn't be a problem if you swap in onpeak.)
    The Hyatt offered to let us swap Credit Cards last year both arriving and departing.

• CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular

We had that issue last year. For us, the solution was to simply call up our bank/credit union and ask that they update our cards early.

• onekickonekick Registered User new member
    I am having a problem. I bought 3-day passes yesterday, had the charge pending on my account but today the money wasn't withdrawn and the charge is no longer pending, it's just gone. I still have my confirmation number, how do I give you guys my money?

edited May 2012
    onekick wrote: »
    I am having a problem. I bought 3-day passes yesterday, had the charge pending on my account but today the money wasn't withdrawn and the charge is no longer pending, it's just gone. I still have my confirmation number, how do I give you guys my money?

email pax_questions@paxsite.com

also, we don't represent PA. This is first and foremost a community forum, not a customer service forum. Any info here unless given by someone with "PA STAFF" in their forum title (or @heels) is unofficial info.

zerzhul on
    onekick wrote: »

I would give it a few days before I panicked. Our Pre-auths were slightly different than our actual charges (looks like the vendor made the pre-auth then Reed actually dropped the charge.) You may be witnessing some cross over wierdness called "modern banking."

• MerlinzeroMerlinzero Registered User regular
    Is anyone from PA monitoring Ebay or is that something that isnt going to happen? There are already tickets selling for 200+ out there. I'm thinking you sold out so quick because ebay companies bought all your tickets to sell at an increased rate online.

Same with Saturdays!!!

Merlinzero wrote: »
    Is anyone from PA monitoring Ebay or is that something that isnt going to happen? There are already tickets selling for 200+ out there. I'm thinking you sold out so quick because ebay companies bought all your tickets to sell at an increased rate online.

Same with Saturdays!!!

This isn't a customer service forum, "you" doesn't mean anything here :P

Also, read the reg thread, PA is pretty confident that it's not mass scalpers (not saying it's not /some/ scalpers, but they don't think it's a large percentage).

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    sanovah wrote: »
    no one can probably answer this, but I'll ask anyway. Why does PA make it cheaper to buy a 3-day at the 2nd instead of the 3rd day? While i got mine I know a few people that didn't and have to wonder how many of the people with 3-day passes are leaving town Saturday night

Yeah, there's no good answer for that. Probably to incentivise buying 3-days.

After the trending breaking that was this year, I'd imagine this is going to have to change (just MHO, that's all). You can incentivise buying 3 days at $75 and still encourage people to buy 2 days if they are only going to be in town for 2 days.
    The one thing the current system does is allow people to buy passes now, without having to have made that choice (i.e. defer planning until later.) That's benevolent, but it fails the Econ101 test.
    Of course even at 2X[oneday]+5 (or even +10) you'd still have people buying the 3 days chancing that they'd be in town (or could sell them) but at least you'd lower demand somewhat.

The whole thing fails the econ101 test as the prices are way too low. No reason to go applying arbitrary logic to it ;)

Just because the price is below what the market will bear does not mean you can't tilt the curve still by reworking the incentive structure to change behavior. Whatever you subsidize you get more of. In this case the 3 day passes are heavily subsidized to buy them without concern as to attending all 3 days. Alter that and you can skew the curve (admittedly the outside factors may soften that skew, but it'd still skew.)
    Additionally I'd submit that (despite the heavy Seattle/surrounding area attendence) there's still significant pressure fromthe total cost to attend PAX (rather than the mere incrimental cost of the passes.) so changing the incentive structure may also adjust behavior on that end (i.e. I may only stay 2 days and buy a 2 day pass to save on hotel/flight/whatever.)
    Admittedly it's hard to apply standard econ to this, (it's a market with very little elasticity) that doesn't mean it should be thrown out the windown entirely.

If you want to debate mathematical methods to predict/price pax passes, there's a separate subforum for that. If you want to write a paper about it and email it to @Robert Khoo, please be my guest.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but they aren't making decisions based on how best to capture the value that's out there.
    One think I find odd (and have talked with Robert about) is that PAX sells any one-day passes at all during pre-reg. I've worked with lots of other cons over the last 12 years, and PAX is the only one that does that. The others all sell one-day badges only on-site and only if the show's not already full. Robert feels it's very important to have the one-days available for people that can only come for part of the weekend (which I agree is reasonable), but the numbers always end up a little wonky and many people get pushed into buying 3 one-days after the 3-day passes are sold out. :/

I'm sure they're looking into ways of improving the pricing structure, inventory, and registration system complex for future shows.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    As many of you here, I'm completely dumbfounded to find out the 3-day and Saturday passes were sold out in less than a day. For previous 5 years, I got 3-day passes weeks after it went on sale and been adverstised on various websites. I only found out about sale selling out through some persons post on a news blog. It's becoming like San Diego Comic-con in terms of popularity.

It's fine that I at least got the Friday and Sunday passes to use. Hopefully, I'll be lucky enough to get the hotel I wanted now

QUESTION: Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long did the 3-day passes go on sale for until it sold out? My only guess it just a couple hours, I need this to make me feel a little better.

Senicks on
  • NeoNeo Registered User regular
    Senicks, according to what Khoo tweeted 3-day badges sold out in about 6 hours.

-- This space for rent --
  • SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    Neo wrote: »

Thank you Neo.

If it's anything like last year, I believe that the resell price for badges will go down to something reasonable the week of the convention. Having 2 legitimate badges will help me compare it to a resellers badge. For now I'm at least in, but I'll have to spread to word to friends to buy it before it's too late.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Senicks wrote: »
    Neo wrote: »

Thank you Neo.

If it's anything like last year, I believe that the resell price for badges will go down to something reasonable the week of the convention. Having 2 legitimate badges will help me compare it to a resellers badge. For now I'm at least in, but I'll have to spread to word to friends to buy it before it's too late.
    At East 2012, anyone buying a badge from someone on the street could come to the Info Desk (which was right by the front doors) and have the badge verified for authenticity before buying it (assuming the seller would come inside to allow it). We'll probably have something similar set up somewhere near the corner of 7th and Pike at Prime this year (Info Desk is up on level 4 in the bunker, so sellers probably won't be willing to go so deep into the building which is why I suggest somewhere near the street).

"We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • (DN)Bow Master(DN)Bow Master Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Last year I was watching their broadcast, and since I will be going this year I was wondering, where are they going to located on the convention grounds? For their coverage of PAX Prime?

(DN)Bow Master on
    Last year I was watching their broadcast, and since I will be going this year I was wondering, where are they going to located on the convention grounds? For their coverage of PAX Prime?
    I've no idea who you're talking about, but this would be a "map" question, and the map won't be released until mid-August.

• cepheus DTcepheus DT Registered User new member
    my friend told me that i had to click the fexex option in order to have our passes shipped even though we live in the states. i dident know this at the time of ordering and did not click the box. will they be shipped to me as things stand? if not is there a way i can modify my order so that they are?

This discussion has been closed.