As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Goons are everywhere, there's no real "avoiding" them. They tend to go where it's most populated. We're on the most populated PVE server so there you go.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    It's probably a good idea, or else the vanarchs will always be Goons + a few from the "recruit everyone!" guilds.

Are you the magic man?
  • TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    well I think what's holding me off from getting this is knowing it will devolve into "show up at 7 to stab this guy in the butt until we finally kill him"

That might be true, but from the one dungeon I've done so far and the few BAMs I've fought, it's more like "ok, stab this guy in the butt for a while, then, HOLY SHIT, where is he going?! FUCK FUCK FUCK HE JUST PULLED THAT OTHER GROUP OVER THERE. Oh SHIT ANOTHER DUDE JUST SHOWED UP OUT OF NOWHERE!

And then, despite all that, you win.

In case that isn't clear, that's a good thing.

This.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Goons are everywhere, there's no real "avoiding" them. They tend to go where it's most populated. We're on the most populated PVE server so there you go.

Fair enough.

Let us defeat them as gentlemen, sirs.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I am probably biased, because I was in the Goon umbrella alliance in EVE (the PA corp is with the Goons in EVE), but once you learn how to deal with Goons, they aren't that bad. You just have to learn their language (which is going to contain some...uhh, colorful things). Antagonizing them, or making a big deal out of the edgy things they say, will just make everything 100x worse.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The goons provoke. That is how they have fun.

They have the bestest time when they provoke people into a fury.

Just chill out and you have no trouble with goons.

But they will never stop trying to provoke, even if you are bestest buds, so might as well get used to it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    I'm not suggesting we go to war with them, just win elections instead of them.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Good luck. The goons have massive numbers.

• s1ppycups1ppycup Registered User regular
    Which guild is a goon guild?

Something Terable

GTA V (PSN): chingrimach
    LoL: s1ppycup
    BF3 + 4: Hardon_Edgewise (PC)
    MH3U: s1ppycup (WiiU)
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    If I were to impulse buy this like a sucker, could I get into the PA guild on the PvP server?

PNA1v.jpg
    s1ppycup wrote: »
    Which guild is a goon guild?

Something Terable

That's... That's actually pretty funny.

• AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    The PvE goons of Something Terable are actually pretty mellow, most of the worst of the goons go the PvP route.

• FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    I don't want to alarm anyone, but this game takes like 5 hours to download. (At least at the ~1.3mBps I'm capping out at.)

Was intrigued by the non-standard MMO combat, but it seems I shall not be partaking tonight.

MOBA DOTA.
    AcidCat wrote: »
    The PvE goons of Something Terable are actually pretty mellow, most of the worst of the goons everyone go the PvP route.

FTFY

In all seriousness, I was just giving my approval to allying with other guilds in order to possibly win some elections. I don't even know if I really care about running a town or whatever, but it's at least something fun to do.

Trying to get everything running again after an OS re-install is balls.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Looks like the server is having stability issues. I keep getting kicked out.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    My only big complaint with the game is the amount of wait for Stamina. Even without dying, by the time I'm to the end boss of a dungeon, I'm sitting at 40% or under stamina. And one death takes me automatically down to 25% stamina and a 5min wait assuming you get ressed. If you revive at town, sure you can pay the Priest there, but you still have to walk all the way back then. So either way dying at all adds a lot of timesink to the game. I'm fine with a wipe requiring some downtime. But the random odd death in a dungeon shouldn't require leaving them behind or waiting for 5mins to move on.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    so chocobo is a bad person because he convinced me to buy this when I should be putting money aside

letting it download overnight so that I can get into it after work tomorrow morning

one concern, my account currently says that my account will expire/renew on the 4th, is that when it'll start my 30 day period, or what? did anyone else experience this?

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    JediNight wrote: »
    My only big complaint with the game is the amount of wait for Stamina. Even without dying, by the time I'm to the end boss of a dungeon, I'm sitting at 40% or under stamina. And one death takes me automatically down to 25% stamina and a 5min wait assuming you get ressed. If you revive at town, sure you can pay the Priest there, but you still have to walk all the way back then. So either way dying at all adds a lot of timesink to the game. I'm fine with a wipe requiring some downtime. But the random odd death in a dungeon shouldn't require leaving them behind or waiting for 5mins to move on.

They have potions that return you to max stamina immediately. Arunic something or other.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So far while doing dungeons we just stop every time charms wear out and drop a fire. A few minutes here and there, letting us chat or take a piss or whatever is dandy.

Charms are actually pretty nice.

steam_sig.png

I agree about the stamina thing... it's another Korean device that really needs to be either chucked in its entirety, or at least have the regen rate sped up when at a fire. I also think it depletes way too fast, which is really annoying.

• TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    So, I may be a little late on this. But I am 100% for grouping together with random dudes to make Monty lord pimp rabbit of Velika.

• ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    Third disconnect in a short time, which is of course doubly annoying since the game boots you out entirely for no god damn reason. This time I can't even log in again. No, I don't need to check my internet, browser, this is your problem.

Another gripe: So many pants-on-head-retarded people in groups. And in TERA you can't carry the group like you can in WoW. I even specifically ask for competent people that know the game well and won't waste my time. And that group ended up with 2 of the most incompetent people I've ever seen.

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Hmm, got DC'd and now I can't even go to the TERA site, or get to the login. What happened :(

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    I think the server just ate it, thinking i'm calling it a night here too.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    At work and I miss playing. This is good. Sink deep oh claws of addiction, daddy needs you til pso2 at least.

steam_sig.png
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular

Campfires are cheap and I don't know about you but I'm swimming in gold. Just drop them down sooner and more often and it's a lot more tolerable. I'll usually throw one down before every other boss and rest up before then top off after. Between that and Arunic Panacea for deaths stamina isn't nearly as big a deal.

Also, found this in that lancer guide and thought it was helpful.
    newcombaticons.jpg
    Also also, the one that looks like a cell phone signal indicator means the dude is ordering around his minions.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I tried out the game recently and I sadly didn't get grabbed by it.
    Everything just screams "Korean Grindan MMO" at me and the combat doesn't feel much better than the "RaiderZ" Alpha I played. So I won't be joining you guys :(

Btw, this is not supposed to be me putting down the game or anything, I'm just saying I personally didn't enjoy it and some people had asked me if I was going to get it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    There honestly isn't much "grindan" to it. That was actually one of the supposed DOWNSIDES to it in Korea -- not enough grinding for their tastes. For example, the max level is 60, and in about 7 days there are a number of folks that will reach L55+ in that time.

There is some raiding content, otherwise a big part of max level play is PvP and guild politics, etc.

• TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    Does anyone of you guys have an 7 day EU friend invite that you weren't planning to use? I'm kinda interested in the game, but I'd like to try it before putting down cash.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's a shame this game has a subscription. The PvE design looks a bit uninspired but I could see PvP being a lot of fun with the combat system in Tera.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    It's a shame this game has a subscription. The PvE design looks a bit uninspired but I could see PvP being a lot of fun with the combat system in Tera.

My thoughts exactly. I definitely enjoyed the combat, but the rest of the game made it hard to justify the sub fee. Keeping my eye on it in the event it goes f2p or offers some free weekends or trials or something.

I can't say I like subs, but on the other hand it keeps the real trash out. So its kind of a lesser of two evils thing.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    I can't say I like subs, but on the other hand it keeps the real trash out. So its kind of a lesser of two evils thing.

I imagine there are a lot of gold spammers who would disagree with this statement. Or take it as a compliment that you don't consider them trash.

Edit: Also, you could make it a B2P title (buy to play) so there is still some monetary investment without the sub fee. Probably still accomplishes what you want while opening it up to more people who could further the community.

am0n on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Not as many as it keeps out. I live with a person who works for a F2P MMO company, the amount of resources and work that goes into keeping the game as free of spammers/farmers as possible without making it unplayable for players is mind boggling.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

@Enig could you elaborate on what about the PvE design looks uninspired to you? I'm genuinely curious, not sure if you got a chance to check out the game or not but a lot of the things that make PvP in this game a breath of fresh air tend to apply to PvE also.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular

What?
    The PVE is a blast, your player skill actually matters. Regular dungeon bosses require the entire party to be active and do more than most MMOs.

Some players have downtime after every fight while leveling... with my warrior, I almost never even get hit.

The glyph/crystal system gives you a large amount of things to tinker with that will effect your playstyle.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Glal wrote: »
    Not as many as it keeps out. I live with a person who works for a F2P MMO company, the amount of resources and work that goes into keeping the game as free of spammers/farmers as possible without making it unplayable for players is mind boggling.

Which is why I made the edit to a B2P model.

This discussion has been closed.