As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] 2012 Challenge Coins - Sold Out

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    I think that coin looks awesome! Its really clean and well spaced out.

Kemikal, the only reason i suggested shortening to 'WA' was to make it so we could line up all the text better. Without having an image that goes out to the edge of the coin, it looks awkward IMO to not have the text organized as it is in the last image. I think if we went back to spelling out Washington, then we should run the text all together. So "Seattle, Washington Aug 31 - Sept 2" and then center that at the bottom.

I'm still not 100% convinced we need the inner ring, as i know some people are against that. I think it looks really nice as it is, but i'm not opposed to dropping the inner ring. :)

I know that's why it was suggested, just didn't feel like the end result was as nice as I expecting it to be. Running all the text together sounds good, but again might not turn out as expected. Don't know, I think it's one of those things where I just can't quite place a finger on what makes it look strange to me. But it might look perfectly fine in actual coin form.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, i understand Kemikal. I'd love to hear some more input/ideas on this.

What if we go about this a different way. What if we go back to more like the Prime 2010 coin? There is a lot of open space on that coin, but it still looks good. I think the difference there is that the text goes almost all they way around, making a border.

What if we remove the inner ring on the current design, and spell out as much text as possible to completely fill up the outer ring of the coin? So make the outer ring read one of the following, depending on space.
    1. "PAX PRIME 2012 <space> SEATTLE * WASHINGTON <space> AUGUST 31 - SEPTEMBER 2"
    OR
    2. "PAX PRIME 2012 <space> SEATTLE, WA <space> AUGUST 31 - SEPTEMBER 2"

So here are 3 ideas:
    1. The current coin with inner ring and 3 smaller text items in triangle arrangement
    2. The current coin, but remove the inner ring. Leave all else as is.
    3. Remove the inner ring, but change the text to what i have listed above and make the text fill up almost the entire border.

Ideas?

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I like it as is. So I guess option 1.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edit: The community has chosen Location Option #2

So I think we are ready to make a final decision on the Location layout. Here are the four options I see:

Location Option 1
    96mdch.jpg

Location Option 2
    2lutfl2.jpg

Location Option 3
    zssew1.jpg

Location Option 4
    nv8k84.jpg

Please reply with which one you prefer.

My vote is for Option 4.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    I like option 2 the best., and Option 3 is my second vote.

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Options 2 or 4. 3 is way to cluttered, to me anyways..

I prefer 2 because it is less cluttered, but 4 is my runner up.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I really like Option 2.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I like #2 the best.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    My strong suggestion, make a vector version in Inkscape (free) or Adobe Illustrator (OMG SPENSIVE) or whatever vector program you have. You will get better results submitting vector based artwork than raster based. The key reason is scaling, the mold makers want to be able to zoom in to the Nth degree.

"In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    FusionCapFusionCap "Journalist" MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think I prefer #4. Spelling out the words creates a nice natural border for the image while maintaining the look of the past few coins. #1 definitely looks a bit awkward next to the rest.

FusionCap on
  • Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    I prefer Option 2. The full names and dates on the outer circle take up too much space.

• Options
    FusionCapFusionCap "Journalist" MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    JamieOD wrote: »
    I prefer Option 2. The full names and dates on the outer circle take up too much space.

I agree when the border is there, it feels a bit too much. Personally, without the border, I like some of that extra space being taken up by the words.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Option 2 feels balanced and all of its key points are separated. A++ for that one.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Love #4. The spacing makes a nice boarder.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    krejkrej Registered User regular
    A couple people have mentioned the dots connecting the monitors as not quite working for them, being too much a pattern duplication of the pac-man pellets. I have a suggestion for this. My suggestion also addresses my initial reaction of the monitor placements seeming inverted.

Have the monitors facing out to the edges of the coin and replace the dotted lines with thin straight lines to represent the networking.

Why facing out? Have you ever been in the BYOC? There's row on row of back-to-back systems with the LAN spaghetti down the centre of the tables rows. The monitors are back to back. That's what I think of when thinking of the BYOC.

I would also like to throw a couple other ideas out there, either for this year's coins or for future designs:
    - Instead of the WASD + mouse, how about WASD almost lined-up under a targeting reticule?
    - How about a classic midi-connected PC joystick?

I like options 2 and 4 above for the location face.

Nice work everyone - this is coming together beautifully and surprisingly quickly!

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    karmacappa wrote: »
    My strong suggestion, make a vector version in Inkscape (free) or Adobe Illustrator (OMG SPENSIVE) or whatever vector program you have. You will get better results submitting vector based artwork than raster based. The key reason is scaling, the mold makers want to be able to zoom in to the Nth degree.

Good advice karmacappa, I will make sure I do that when I turn the design in.
    Thanks.

Looks like Location Option #2 is the front runner so far.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm going to go with #2, but #4 comes in a very close second. :)

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say these look great, I'm looking forward to getting one, and I'll keep an eye out for when the ChipIn opens up. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    My vote is for option #2

• Options
    YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    option 2 looks best to me, followed closely by option 3

• Options
    So most people are leaning towards 2 or 4 right now. No votes for 1 though, so you can almost certainly take that one off of the list

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

• Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular

cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    #2 :D

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    #3, but #2 comes in a close second

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    madtygermadtyger Lover of Bricks Side 3Registered User regular
    Wow, those look amazing! Love number 2!

• Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    I like #3, #4 would be my second choice.

Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    ThirmuriThirmuri CalgaryRegistered User regular
    option #3 or #4

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    2 or 4 for me... Still can't make up my mind which I like better, I'm having a hard time envisioning the Pike Place image on a coin.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    #2 with #3 a close second.

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    #3 with #2 a close second.

Although, I like the serif font that used on the reverse side, and think both sides should match. I'm not a big fan of the sans serif font.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Although, I like the serif font that used on the reverse side, and think both sides should match. I'm not a big fan of the sans serif font.

For the font we are trying to stay with what has been used on the previous coins. Upon closer inspection the Location side font looks like its not exactly the same as the previous year's coins. I will bring it up with Eric.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

For the font we are trying to stay with what has been used on the previous coins. Upon closer inspection the Location side font looks like its not exactly the same as the previous year's coins. I will bring it up with Eric.

Yeah, I noticed it was different than the coin on the PAX East '11 coin at the head of the page, which was why I brought it up. The serif fonts used there give it a more classic feel, and match the bronzed/antiqued feel. I wasn't sure if it was intentional.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options

Yeah, I noticed it was different than the coin on the PAX East '11 coin at the head of the page, which was why I brought it up. The serif fonts used there give it a more classic feel, and match the bronzed/antiqued feel. I wasn't sure if it was intentional.

You are absolutely correct, and I thank you for catching that. I don't have the font on my computer so I won't be able to update the mock-up unless I can find one similar, but I will let Eric at PCC know to change it and we will see it on the revised design.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    By far. #2.

• Options
    BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular
    #2 is very nice and well balanced.

• Options
    I have counted up what people had said as their first votes so far, and the standing is as follows:
    1= 0 votes
    2= 15 votes
    3=5
    4=4 (of course 4 is equal to 4, that's basic math!)

So I am thinking that number 15 is the one that people will pick. Maybe give everyone else a day or two more to vote, and then do the final tally?

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Zoroark173 wrote: »
    I have counted up what people had said as their first votes so far, and the standing is as follows:
    1= 0 votes
    2= 15 votes
    3=5
    4=4 (of course 4 is equal to 4, that's basic math!)

So I am thinking that number 15 is the one that people will pick. Maybe give everyone else a day or two more to vote, and then do the final tally?

I didn't look at that enough to render an opinion (sorry) so I'm going to vote #1 just so it doesn't feel left out! (Although I see why #2 is so popular. it's likelt the best.

• Options
    I think it's fairly obvious that the majority of people like #2 the best.
    I will send #2 to Eric and have him change the Font to the same as the previous coins.

For the PC gaming side, unless a bunch a people want it changed, we are going with how it is.

IhtGIyi.png
This discussion has been closed.