As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of Assholes, Season 2! The night is dark and full of spoilers

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I wanted to see the tower of joy flashback

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

you're never getting that

it's all because of you, isn't it

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    No one will ever see Howland Reed.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    pretty much, yes

we cut those scenes for more JOFFTIME

I just love the idea that all of the glorious, chivalrous heroes in westeros are dead or elderly

really reinforces its grim tone

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I'd rather hear The Bear and the Maiden Fair.

There's at least two points in the books where it gets sung and a POV character is there to hear it, I think?

Book...er...2 or 3, I think?
    It is sung to cover Sansa telling Margarey and her grandmother about Joffrey, and again by Hot Pie and the outlaws after the escape from Harrenhall, if memory serves?

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    It looked like he approved of her thinly veiled threat

At least so far as he found it amusing. But she's treading dangerous ground and she knows it.

I really enjoyed that scene a lot. Can't wait for more of them.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Howland Reed is Keyser Söze.

[IMG][/img]
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Kevin Spacey should play Howland Reed.

I think he could pull off Swamp-Man.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I just love the idea that all of the glorious, chivalrous heroes in westeros are dead or elderly

really reinforces its grim tone

the vibe i got from the books was the idea that those glorious, chivalrous heroes werent really glorious or chivalrous

they're just remembered and sang of as such

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Keep in mind, every time they mention Jaehaerys the Conciliator (Good), they also mention Aegon the Conqueror (Bad), Baelor the Blessed (Worse), and Maegor the Cruel (Self-Explanatory).

Seems pretty indicative of the ratio of Cool Dudes to Assholes in Westeros.

[IMG][/img]
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    really that idea is sansa's entire character arc

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    when they introduce him in season 1 he's butchering a deer the entire time he's berating jamie

which led to a joke I made about a fat little stereotypical king, all white beard and ermine robe, who blunders in during the monologue all "Jamie! My most precious son, pride of my life!" and then shoos off Tywin by like jabbing at him with his scepter all "Get out of here, you butcher! Back to your butching!"

sultanfromalladan.jpg
    "Wherever whores go!"

sig.gif
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    have they even done any flashbacks

i can't remember any

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    thorgot wrote: »

i can't remember any

I don't think so. The show is heavy on exposition instead.

thorgot wrote: »

i can't remember any

I don't think so.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The closest they came to it is when Ned's watching Arya spar with Syrio and he gets a far off look on his face and we start to hear the sounds of real swords instead of practice blades. Which is hardly specific.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    He was flashing back to that time he was in Thailand with Bai Ling and he got a tattoo

sig.gif
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I'd rather hear The Bear and the Maiden Fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QyaN-QFNmc

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    He was flashing back to that time he was in Thailand with Bai Ling and he got a tattoo

Fuck. Off.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Back when the first previews were coming out, there was a shot of what must've been Ned's brother and father getting killed in the throne room. But it never showed up, presumably they decided to not do any flashbacks as a creative choice. Which is probably the smartest thing to do, just like the books the TV show profits from characters' claims about the past being undependable, and flashbacks tend to imply truth unless you get all Rashomon-y. And besides, why show flashbacks when you've got a cast this good? The story's not about what really happened during the rebellion, it's about how the characters now are shaped by it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Back when the first previews were coming out, there was a shot of what must've been Ned's brother and father getting killed in the throne room. But it never showed up, presumably they decided to not do any flashbacks as a creative choice. Which is probably the smartest thing to do, just like the books the TV show profits from characters' claims about the past being undependable, and flashbacks tend to imply truth unless you get all Rashomon-y. And besides, why show flashbacks when you've got a cast this good? The story's not about what really happened during the rebellion, it's about how the characters now are shaped by it.

Book 2 / 3 Spoilers:
    A lot of the back story gets filled in in the later parts of book 2 and book 3, so we might not be there yet. Jaime telling his story to Brienne is really the first time we hear more than "Elia and her children were smashed on the rocks by the Mountain" type thing. And really, until we get to Oberyn in Book 3, with Tyrion talking to Tywin about those last moments of the previous kingdom, we don't really hear the Lannister side of things. So it's possible they shot a lot of that flashback stuff to be used later.

I think it could be used pretty effectively to help out with Jaime's back story, but I'll wait and see how they chose to do it.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Nobody excited about tonight's episode I guess?

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    Nobody excited about tonight's episode I guess?

Nope.

Considering I won't be able to watch it until friday night.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Alright folks, TONIGHT:
    Let us all pray that Joffrey gets hit with the turd... which henceforth shall be known as "The Turd of Destiny".

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm excited. Even though I should be writing a paper instead of watching any television.

Sassori on
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    When do they steal her dragons in the books?

• ShoddySplintShoddySplint Registered User regular
    They don't. Honestly, the fact that the show is willing to go off the rails of the books is part of what keeps it interesting for me.

I thought the bit about Jaime being dyslexic was a nice touch though.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I thought that was weird that I didn't remember that.

Great ep. (Tangent: wow Veep is profane.)

wVEsyIc.png
    Okay: someone update the animated GIF of Joffrey getting slapped.
    We need Tyrion's newest slap, and end it with Joff being struck by the Turd of Destiny.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I get that they stray from books and I'm ok with that, I like some of the changes.

I'm wondering where they are gonna go with that, will it bring in some characters we've yet to see.

yeah, them changing bits of the qarth storyline is just totally A-OK with me.

It's like the least memorable sequence in the whole series for me

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's a plot vehicle to get Dany to the house of the undying quickly

Works for me!

override367 on
    Heh, best new nickname

Catelyn Cockblock

Also, the actress playing Ygritte looks super cute. I think I officially have a crush.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Also, the actress playing Ygritte looks super cute. I think I officially have a crush.

You should totes send her a letter.

NYMPHADORA TONKS!!!

Wait, wait...

real spoiler
    Do the dragons get stolen in the books? I have no recollection of this happening