As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Not as many as it keeps out. I live with a person who works for a F2P MMO company, the amount of resources and work that goes into keeping the game as free of spammers/farmers as possible without making it unplayable for players is mind boggling.

Did you get your CE yet?

You hate the map don't you?

I will totally buy it off of you.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Enig wrote: »
    It's a shame this game has a subscription. The PvE design looks a bit uninspired but I could see PvP being a lot of fun with the combat system in Tera.

@Enig could you elaborate on what about the PvE design looks uninspired to you? I'm genuinely curious, not sure if you got a chance to check out the game or not but a lot of the things that make PvP in this game a breath of fresh air tend to apply to PvE also.

Well the nature of PvP allows it to take advantage of an actiony combat system. While the consensus seems to be that the combat is fun in PvE also, that alone is not going to cut it for me, personally. I haven't had a chance to play Tera myself so I can only go on impressions from others or what I've seen in videos, but both the visual aesthetic and the PvE questing mechanics appear to be what I would call "uninspired".

If it were B2P rather than subscription I'd probably get it and just play here and there, but I don't think I could get into it enough to justify a sub unfortunately.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    It's a shame this game has a subscription. The PvE design looks a bit uninspired but I could see PvP being a lot of fun with the combat system in Tera.

@Enig could you elaborate on what about the PvE design looks uninspired to you? I'm genuinely curious, not sure if you got a chance to check out the game or not but a lot of the things that make PvP in this game a breath of fresh air tend to apply to PvE also.

Well the nature of PvP allows it to take advantage of an actiony combat system. While the consensus seems to be that the combat is fun in PvE also, that alone is not going to cut it for me, personally. I haven't had a chance to play Tera myself so I can only go on impressions from others or what I've seen in videos, but both the visual aesthetic and the PvE questing mechanics appear to be what I would call "uninspired".

If it were B2P rather than subscription I'd probably get it and just play here and there, but I don't think I could get into it enough to justify a sub unfortunately.

/putonoil-stainedoveralls

Well that there's your problem.

Seriously though, if En Masse releases a trial version or something you should give it a try.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Lancing an entire line of like, 12 mobs in the face as they run at you is just the best

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Oh man do I wish lances had some better AoE type move then having to get knocked down first though. Doesnt need to be huge, but man. Sometimes.

steam_sig.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Combat is what it's all about, but it's difficult to quantify to someone who hasn't even tried the game just how big a deal this is. MMOs, whatever other gimmicks they may try to use to draw people, are all about fighting monters to gain levels and loot. Questing systems became a big thing because they help disguise the grind, and provide some context to the world which can make some more attached to what they are doing. I very much have appreciated these tactics in the past.

With TERA, the questing system is merely adequate, and the world is filled with the typical NPCs who for one reason or another need you to collect bear asses for them. The extreme difference, to me at least, is that I don't really need to care why they want bear asses or often even how many they want... I just want to get out there and maul some bears because it is so goddamn fun and the combat only gets more intricate and involved the higher my levels go.

I don't understand the whole 'I would totally get this if it were B2P', because honestly... how many $50 games have you purchased that didn't last you a month? Like any MMO, the first month is included in the cost of entry, and if you want to play more? Okay then you gotta consider ponying up some more cash. If not? You just had a month of gaming for $50, which is as good a deal as you'll get almost anywhere.

Toxic Pickle on
  • TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    I tried out the game recently and I sadly didn't get grabbed by it.
    Everything just screams "Korean Grindan MMO" at me and the combat doesn't feel much better than the "RaiderZ" Alpha I played. So I won't be joining you guys :(

Which class(es) did you play?

I ask because your class choice can 100% determine how much you like this game. My fiancee wasn't too sold until she tried warrior, at which point she loved it.

• pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    Picked this up just now on the basis of this thread/gameplay videos. Anything I should know starting out? Will be seeing you on Dragonfall.

edited May 2012
    pantsy wrote: »
    Picked this up just now on the basis of this thread/gameplay videos. Anything I should know starting out? Will be seeing you on Dragonfall.

Few things I can think of:

1. Try different classes. Each plays differently, especially between ranged and melee. Variety is the spice of life.
    2. Use the channel system (top right of screen) to go to lower-populated areas if you are feeling like there are too many people killin' yer mobs.
    3. Gather nodes even if you aren't going to craft. They can be saved for later or sold and (most importantly) provide useful buffs.
    4. Learn extraction skills from the general merchant or by picking up recipes from mob drops. Extraction provides useful materials, and selling loot is brings in terrible profits.
    5. Go to the Crystal Merchant as soon as you get to the tower base and buy some HP/MP regen crystals. This makes leveling so much better.
    6. Crystals stick with your weapon/armor so remember to remove them when you get an upgrade for said weapon or chest armor piece.

Toxic Pickle on
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    pantsy wrote: »

Few things I can think of:

1. Try different classes. Each plays differently, especially between ranged and melee. Variety is the spice of life.
    2. Use the channel system (top right of screen) to go to lower-populated areas if you are feeling like there are too many people killin' yer mobs.
    3. Gather nodes even if you aren't going to craft. They can be saved for later or sold and (most importantly) provide useful buffs.
    4. Learn extraction skills from the general merchant or by picking up recipes from mob drops. Extraction provides useful materials, and selling loot is brings in terrible profits.
    5. Go to the Crystal Merchant as soon as you get to the tower base and buy some HP/MP regen crystals. This makes leveling so much better.

Thanks!

Although christ this client is huge, going to take like 4 hours at 1mbps+

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Everything just screams "Korean Grindan MMO" at me and the combat doesn't feel much better than the "RaiderZ" Alpha I played. So I won't be joining you guys :(

I ask because your class choice can 100% determine how much you like this game. My fiancee wasn't too sold until she tried warrior, at which point she loved it.

Played an Archer.
    Anyway, friend and me just picked it up cause G2Play had it for like 30€ and I want to use it to tide me over till Guild Wars 2 has another beta event/comes out.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Depending on what play style appeals to you select the class that fits. Races are preference mostly. The racials might play into choices a little. Were you planning on focusing on PVE or PVP, or mixture of both?

The observations are just mine from playing each one up to 20 in beta:
    Lancer and berzerker were slow and nearly stationary, heavy on defense with some decent aoe moves.

Warrior and slayer are fast, require a lot of movement and positioning.

Sorc and archer are ranged, archer seemed to be more single target, but had some multiple target hits. Sorc has a big hit that requires holding a group in the big circle. I ended up kiting a lot to be effective.

Priest and mystic are the healers. Priest with a number of heals. Mystics with some buffs, heal, and pets.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I appreciate Extraction's contribution to materials, but I feel like the raw material processing for trade skills is unnecessarily convoluted. Just so many mats you need to buy from the vendor, then so many processed materials just before crafting the actual trade goods. I also couldn't tell when something was going to stop giving me skill until I got the message that it wasn't anymore.

Unrelated, is there a limit to how many healing balls Mystics can have out at a time? They're pretty silly good.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy

Played an Archer.
    Anyway, friend and me just picked it up cause G2Play had it for like 30€ and I want to use it to tide me over till Guild Wars 2 has another beta event/comes out.

I hate how the holy trinity is in this and I will be a "tank/dps/healer".
    I hate that shit and after GW2 it feels like I'm going back to 2005 playing WoW.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Mystic balls I have managed to get 25 down before a new one causes one to disappear.

Someone else reported a higher number, like 32 or so, but I haven't tried to replicate the results.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Is there a website or anything that tells exactly what all the stats do, and things like, how much crit does crit rating give, ect?

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    My level 14 Lancer got ganked by a 23 sorcoress

She used all her spells and I blocked a huge chunk of them and didnt die.

She just stopped and said WTF? how did you do that

Im like well, i can block up to a certain amount of damage per hit, and i guess your spells were below that.

So we talked for a while and then she wanted to try it again.

Boom i died :P

Then we were friends and said hi to each other and I passed by her a few times as she was killing people. Someone was in my party and said RUN, SHE JUST GANKED ME. Im like nah, we are buddies, no need for me to run!

:)

I hate that shit and after GW2 it feels like I'm going back to 2005 playing WoW.

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but when I played the GW2 combat I felt like I was going back to 2005 with tab-targeting 3rd-person WoW standard gameplay, with clunky dodge-rolling added on.

But in both games, there are differences that make them special even if there are some similarity to how other games have done things.

For TERA, the difference is in the combat, and it is my sincere hope that future MMO developers will pick up on this. Even healers and tanks are changed in how they operate in this game's combat environment.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Played an Archer.

you don't need the holy trinity. It HELPS. But you don't need it. This is due largely in part to the fact that if you avoid the enemy attacks, you don't get hit. This means that DPS can Tank (I'm a slayer, Hi, I've done this many many times) Tanks can DPS, and healers can be non existent (OR DPS if they want)

It certainly helps to have the monster focusing on one guy, and to have a healer around to heal people who mess up. But yesterday Me, My warrior buddy, and a random Lancer decided to go hunting BAMS. And we killed them just fine without a healer. The day before that me and just my warrior buddy duo'd BAMS in the same fashion.

Also, Archers are boring as sin until lvl 20+ After that they are a blast because you have more tools at your disposal. But until then it's just Plink-plink-plink-chaaaaaaaaarge-plink.

I want to like GW2, I really really do. But they essentially lied about their combat, and Tera delivers the real deal. I'll probbaly still end up playing GW2 because it doesn't have a sub, but The comic posted earlier is kind of where I'm at right now.

I really just wish those three developers would come together and make the penultimate MMO experience. Let Bluehole do the combat, give the Story elements to Bioware, and have Arenanet do the Quests. Oh and let Bluehole handle the graphics while you're at it, Keep Unreal 3 because APPARENTLY noone can top it with the multitude of engines they feel that they need to develop for each damned game.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but when I played the GW2 combat I felt like I was going back to 2005 with tab-targeting 3rd-person WoW standard gameplay, with clunky dodge-rolling added on.

But in both games, there are differences that make them special even if there are some similarity to how other games have done things.

For TERA, the difference is in the combat, and it is my sincere hope that future MMO developers will pick up on this. Even healers and tanks are changed in how they operate in this game's combat environment.

In TERA I stand around while swinging my sword/whatever in GW2 I run around the whole time.
    In TERA I put a crosshair on a dude, in GW2 I put a mousecursor on a dude and click.
    In GW2 I have to be constantly on the move cause there is no aggro, in TERA I watch the tank and spank while shooting my bow at it.

TERA is kinda fun, but the combat is not the holy grail people make it out to be.
    Just because you put "action combat" in an MMO does not make it amazing.
    Still, it'll tide me over.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Unrelated, is there a limit to how many healing balls Mystics can have out at a time? They're pretty silly good.

Skittles. We call them skittles. Jelly beans is an acceptable substitute.

edited May 2012

In TERA I stand around while swinging my sword/whatever in GW2 I run around the whole time.
    In TERA I put a crosshair on a dude, in GW2 I put a mousecursor on a dude and click.
    In GW2 I have to be constantly on the move cause there is no aggro, in TERA I watch the tank and spank while shooting my bow at it.

TERA is kinda fun, but the combat is not the holy grail people make it out to be.

I'm sorry, but I feel you haven't actually played the game at all if you really just said "In TERA I stand around while swinging my sword"

Because that is a straight up untruth.

I'm calling massive bullshit right there. You can enjoy GW2, that's fine, but roll a slayer, or a warrior, or a berserker, and go fight a BAM, and then come back and say that.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited May 2012

Even at low levels I feel like this is a gross oversimplification. Just different from my opinion/experience I guess, but really that's what the internet is for.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited May 2012

Ah ha, I'm seeing your problem. You're doing it wrong.

Please watch this video. It's a warrior tutorial that opened my eyes quite a bit on how at least one class in this game plays. You'll notice that there is very little (if any) standing around. Also, simply centering your cursor over a baddy and clicking is a bad tactic in many cases.

Toxic Pickle on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, no. This only works at lower levels, eating attacks is gonna kill you within seconds on a BAM or a tougher mob group. Try fighting mobs without getting hit at all- because that's what's expected from you against BAMs.
    Basically, "Bayonetta has no combat depth, I tried it on easy mode and just mashed a single button".

Glal on

I'm sorry, but I feel you haven't actually played the game at all if you really just said "In TERA I stand around while swinging my sword"

I'm calling massive bullshit right there. You can enjoy GW2, that's fine, but roll a slayer, or a warrior, or a berserker, and go fight a BAM, and then come back and say that.

I'm not saying I stand in one spot while fighting, I'm saying the attacks lock you in place while in GW2 you do your attacks literally "on the run" apart from some special ones of course.
    Also, I played about 800hours of Monster Hunter, so I might not be as blown away by dodging huge monsters as other people are, haha.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wonder how long it'll be until people stop coming in here with GW2 comparisons. Because truly we haven't heard your new and exciting criticisms!

failing an easy node 5 times in a row should reward you with a triple stat bonus or something. I think they forgot to rip some korean out of the game.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    Guys, I already bought the game, you don't have to defend it to the death just because I have some personal opinions on a thing we all have spent money on.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, no. This only works at lower levels, eating attacks is gonna kill you within seconds on a BAM or a tougher mob group. Try fighting mobs without getting hit at all- because that's what's expected from you against BAMs.
    Basically, "Bayonetta has no combat depth, I tried it on easy mode and just mashed a single button".

Again, I did not say what you think I said, I just worded it poorly.
    And again, dodging big monsters is nothing new to me.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    My GW2 comparison is pretty much Gabe's- I'm disappointed at the combat, but playing it with friends and experiencing the world should make up for it. Doesn't hold a candle to the dance my Slayer started doing in the late teens, I felt like an untouchable ballerina of death.

I made my Lancer with that rock race and wanted to name him Malphite, but it was taken :(

Darn those LOL people!

Guys, I already bought the game, you don't have to defend it to the death just because I have some personal opinions on a thing we all have spent money on.

Not trying to sell you on it, but I think we'd actually like you to have a good time. :)

Not trying to sell you on it, but I think we'd actually like you to have a good time. :)

Well, it's just turning pretty hostile I guess...

Sorry guys, this is my fault I guess, I might be a bit out of it at the moment.
    So again: Sorry if I have angered anyone, it was not my intention and I hope to have fun in the game and wish everyone else here a really really good time with the game!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg

I'm not saying I stand in one spot while fighting, I'm saying the attacks lock you in place while in GW2 you do your attacks literally "on the run" apart from some special ones of course.
    Also, I played about 800hours of Monster Hunter, so I might not be as blown away by dodging huge monsters as other people are, haha.

This is also wrong. Again I'm saying you haven't actually played a sword/axe wielding class. Yes as an ARCHER (or sorc, or Priest, or Mystic) your attacks lock you in place (early on, later on they don't, as you can charge your attacks as an archer and still run around.)

But as a Melee Class your attacks MOVE you. You are not at all locked in place. This is why your statement is not just an opinion, it's factually incorrect. The berserker and Slayer attacks are slow and move you a fair distance. Warrior attacks are quick and also move you (although not as far usually). The only class that doesn't move much with a fair amount of their attacks is the lancer, and even THEY still move forward quite a bit.

I don't care if you like or dislike the game, I would just like others who come in here and read your posts to not get the wrong idea because you are making a very incorrect statement about the mobility of combat.

delphinidaes.png
    I cant believe my rock race dude wears earings. Drilling holes in my ears hurt.

This is also wrong. Again I'm saying you haven't actually played a sword/axe wielding class. Yes as an ARCHER (or sorc, or Priest, or Mystic) your attacks lock you in place (early on, later on they don't, as you can charge your attacks as an archer and still run around.)

But as a Melee Class your attacks MOVE you. You are not at all locked in place. This is why your statement is not just an opinion, it's factually incorrect. The berserker and Slayer attacks are slow and move you a fair distance. Warrior attacks are quick and also move you (although not as far usually). The only class that doesn't move much with a fair amount of their attacks is the lancer, and even THEY still move forward quite a bit.

I don't care if you like or dislike the game, I would just like others who come in here and read your posts to not get the wrong idea because you are making a very incorrect statement about the mobility of combat.

Can I strafe to the right and swing my sword during this strafe run without breaking my running in any way?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg

To be fair, the fact that you can use the fact that these abilities move you to your advantage isn't immediately obvious (I just assumed it was some weird animation "feature"). It didn't occur to me that I could use the attack momentum to dance around the boss until after I saw that warrior guide video - until then, I was just faceplanting into the mob and dodging through them.

I'm just saying, there's a lot of nuance that isn't explicitly called out by the game.

I cant believe my rock race dude wears earings. Drilling holes in my ears hurt.

Diamond drill bits and lots of Mineral oil. Won't feel a thing.

delphinidaes.png

So again: Sorry if I have angered anyone, it was not my intention and I hope to have fun in the game and wish everyone else here a really really good time with the game!

That happens a lot, even in these gentlemanly forums, when people are passionate about something. I saw quite a bit of it in the GW2 thread, and in many before it.

But seriously, check out the video I linked a bit further up in the page (Or just click this). It really is an eye-opener as to how non-static the combat is.

That happens a lot, even in these gentlemanly forums, when people are passionate about something. I saw quite a bit of it in the GW2 thread, and in many before it.

But seriously, check out the video I linked a bit further up in the page (Or just click this). It really is an eye-opener as to how non-static the combat is.

I'm not even angry, I just feel that people already have very large misconceptions about the game without having people who say they played the game come in and spout off falsehoods.

delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.