As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    game-of-life-captain-america.jpg

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Avengers Assembled. And it was awesome. It pays to know people who know people who work in the movie theaters.

Two scenes after the credits. One hints at the next film and the other (after alll the credits) is delightful.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    How many more movies could they make before they start losing the star power? I'm sure after Iron Man 3 RDJ would be tired of the role, and the other actors might get burned out as well.

I am really curious what Marvel is going to do afterwards. Are they going to go the reboot route or keep up the continuity? It's going to start getting complicated story-wise sooner or later.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'll wait till after the next round (IM3, Cap2, Thor2) before I cast judgement but if the rumors are true, I hope the final capstone is Avengers 2 with all the characters they've introduced. Because its gonna be hard to top that villian.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    How many more movies could they make before they start losing the star power? I'm sure after Iron Man 3 RDJ would be tired of the role, and the other actors might get burned out as well.

I am really curious what Marvel is going to do afterwards. Are they going to go the reboot route or keep up the continuity? It's going to start getting complicated story-wise sooner or later.

I think they said they're going to Bond Iron Man.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Did they get everyone for an Avengers sequel? No casting problems like what happened with Edward Norton?

I am impressed!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I'll wait till after the next round (IM3, Cap2, Thor2) before I cast judgement but if the rumors are true, I hope the final capstone is Avengers 2 with all the characters they've introduced. Because its gonna be hard to top that villian.

Nah.

I mean they didn't pick a bad one but I can think of three or four that would be able to top the villain.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Did they get everyone for an Avengers sequel? No casting problems like what happened with Edward Norton?

I am impressed!

There wern't really casting problems. Norton was like "Hey I'm in this film right!" and Marvel was like "We don't want to give you creative control so no"

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I greatly regret not reserving seats for this sooner.

Also that my wife likes these movies and wants to see it with me denying me the one seat left in the center.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Star power is not a major concern. They can be replaced when needed. Despite what Downey Jr. thinks he's not irreplaceable. Unless he only said that to keep his position strong for later negotiations down the road.

They won't reboot, only recast. For now, anyway.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I am impressed!

Yes, everyone but Norton returned to their roles. IIRC they all had multi-movie contracts.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Yeah it's not impossible for them to simply replace the characters. And the movies don't need to maintain perfect accuracy either which would allow for actors to deviate some from each other, much like the comics do.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    wait, we europeans got this before you bloody yanks?
    amazing!

film. is. AWESOME.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    I was eating out at a restaurant with my dad yesterday evening when a trailer for The Avengers came on the TV over at the bar. I asked him what he thought of that movie and he told me he thought it was going to bomb hard.

His reasoning was that it reminded him of that crappy Batman and Robin movie because of the star-studded cast. Oh dad.

• Options
    SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    What I would just LOVE to see in theaters is when Marvel and DC comics collide. That would be awesome.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    SiLlYxAzN wrote: »
    What I would just LOVE to see in theaters is when Marvel and DC comics collide. That would be awesome.
    Only if Marvel has full creative control. The good DC movies seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I guess I would have to agree on that lol.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So I'm a graphic artist and today all I can think about is Avengers tonight. And I had some free time, and while I hate "memes" in general, I was looking up old Avengers things, re-living my history with them, and when I was watching the old 1966 cartoon on YouTube (my dad had them on VHS, its how I learned what Super Heroes were. I can still recite many episodes word for word. And the classic theme songs!) - and one image suddenly made me realize what was happening tonight.

So I threw this together. Get psyched, Americans who have to wait only a few more hours.

Thanks.jpg

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Haha xD love it lol.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Man I don't think i'll ever get used to that Captain helmet, it just looks so goofy.

Godfather on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't get why they didn't keep the costume from the The First Avenger. It was cool.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah that really bugs me as well. The WW2 outfit was great for a real-life take on Captain America.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Is tonight the night that USA get to see the avengers? They in for a treat if they are. It's a great movie.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Yep tonight's the night!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    its probably because as awesome as it was, it wasn't "modern"

really though, if they had just kept the old helmet I'd have a hard time complaining

speaking of cap's costume check this out (spoiled for length, contains no actual spoilers)
    look at the wings painted on the old helmet

captcbnmarvelperu.jpg

compare to the wings on the SSR logo

Captain-America-SSR-Logo.png

now look at the wings painted on the new helmet

CaptainAmerica_Avengers_Costume_Blog.jpg

and compare to the wings on the SHIELD logo

avengers-prelude-comic_1169.jpg

ok, well I think it's neat

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Joolander wrote: »
    its probably because as awesome as it was, it wasn't "modern"

really though, if they had just kept the old helmet I'd have a hard time complaining

speaking of cap's costume check this out (spoiled for length, contains no actual spoilers)
    look at the wings painted on the old helmet

captcbnmarvelperu.jpg

compare to the wings on the SSR logo

Captain-America-SSR-Logo.png

now look at the wings painted on the new helmet

CaptainAmerica_Avengers_Costume_Blog.jpg

and compare to the wings on the SHIELD logo

avengers-prelude-comic_1169.jpg

ok, well I think it's neat

The new costume looks awesome but not liking the helmet

SiLlYxAzN on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

I may be mistaken but I think RDJ has been quoted as saying that he fuckin' loves playing Iron Man and he'll be there as long as they need him.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

I may be mistaken but I think RDJ has been quoted as saying that he fuckin' loves playing Iron Man and he'll be there as long as they need him.

He said quite recently that as long as they're turning in fun, quality films he'll show up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

He said quite recently that as long as they're turning in fun, quality films he'll show up.

Yeah, his only real complaint was when they were going to get rid of Favreau, and when Favreau said he'd stay on in various producer/writer/cameo roles and RDJ started working with Whedon, he was back on board full swing.

He did a really awesome interview before IM2 came out where you could tell he was starting to feel the early burnout though. He's worked very hard to get clean and put his head in the right place and the star power that came from this role started getting to him. He didn't admit it on the record, but you could tell at one point he was saying that IM2 was the movie he hated doing the most in the last few years.

It's good to see he's back on board.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

Yeah, his only real complaint was when they were going to get rid of Favreau, and when Favreau said he'd stay on in various producer/writer/cameo roles and RDJ started working with Whedon, he was back on board full swing.

He did a really awesome interview before IM2 came out where you could tell he was starting to feel the early burnout though. He's worked very hard to get clean and put his head in the right place and the star power that came from this role started getting to him. He didn't admit it on the record, but you could tell at one point he was saying that IM2 was the movie he hated doing the most in the last few years.

I was thinking of that yesterday actually. With Disney owning the franchise now I can't imagine they would have been very happy with RDJ being the star of the show if he was still having the issues he was having in the past.

Speaking of Disney, how happy must they be with their acquisition of Marvel right now?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I'm thinking they're more distracted targeting little girls with the new disney "princess"

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm thinking they're more distracted targeting little girls with the new disney "princess"

did they announce a new Disney princess, or are you just speaking generally?

Speculation is that Disney had an established lock on the young female demographic with their Princess line, and acquired Marvel to achieve a similar lock on the young male audience.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    KalTorak wrote: »

Speculation is that Disney had an established lock on the young female demographic with their Princess line, and acquired Marvel to achieve a similar lock on the young male audience.

Both lol. They announced a while ago that they have a new princess from Ireland....and apparently they released the preview for it and looks completely wrong for 4 or 5 year olds.

SiLlYxAzN on
  • Options

I guess Merida from Brave...though she doesn't quite fit the "princess" mold that Disney has perpetuated for years.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'd say a new princess breaking out of the Disney mold can only be a good thing.

I haven't seen Princess and the Frog, but I remember a bunch of shit getting kicked up b/c "OMG black princess!"

Also Rapunzel looks like a generic princess with the long blonde hair, but she rescues the dude... pretty much every time, rather than vice versa.

• Options

I guess Merida from Brave...though she doesn't quite fit the "princess" mold that Disney has perpetuated for years.

And is awesome.

Needless to say my wife:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/389839_642936912457_34604289_34077118_2024531470_n.jpg

Is thrilled to see it.

• Options
    Princess and the Frog was a fun damn movie.

As was Tangled.

Brave looks pretty good hopefully, but also that it has the potential to be fuckawful.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I was thinking of that yesterday actually. With Disney owning the franchise now I can't imagine they would have been very happy with RDJ being the star of the show if he was still having the issues he was having in the past.

Speaking of Disney, how happy must they be with their acquisition of Marvel right now?

They must be happy with Marvel, especially with the Avengers franchise with the film and cartoon series. I wonder how they'll react to Loeb canceling Earth's Mightiest Heroes when its a ratings winner.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Princess and the Frog and Tangled were great!

But what I'm confused about is that Disney said the Merida the Brave is targeted for little girls....makes you wonder what the other princess were targeted too...

• Options
    I remember after Brave was announced with the teaser, I read a column talking about how big a deal (not really a big deal) it was that there was a heroine with bushy curly hair, since you almost never see anything but long flowing hair on female heroes.

• Options
    I remember after Brave was announced with the teaser, I read a column talking about how big a deal (not really a big deal) it was that there was a heroine with bushy curly hair, since you almost never see anything but long flowing hair on female heroes.

I think people just have a 'cism against the scottish

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.