As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    Never trust the client.

Horrible fucking dev fail.

Probably because of the changes to masteries being stored server-side now.

Probably, what with the timing and all.

Still a stupid obvious mistake.

Possibly. 'Shurlock Holmes'-ing this. Initially in a QandA with Trynd (Riot CEO) he explained they didn't have masteries set as serverside because of the number of accounts (31 million was the last count I saw) with everyone having roughly 9 mastery pages on average is a lot of data to handle. With the server side masteries being added recently you'll probably find that the coding and the data are written in as simple a manner as possible in order to lower the amount of data thats sent serverside. Take the summoner cooldown reduction. Its probably something a long the lines of +%CDR per point and done at a flat rate, rather then a lot of 'if' 'then' and limitation code. Heck its probably a text file thats like 02334500302010002030 (with each number representing a different mastery).

That is completely separate from the issue of validating.

Validation is not optional.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    Incidentally
    Never trust the client.

Possibly. 'Shurlock Holmes'-ing this. Initially in a QandA with Trynd (Riot CEO) he explained they didn't have masteries set as serverside because of the number of accounts (31 million was the last count I saw) with everyone having roughly 9 mastery pages on average is a lot of data to handle. With the server side masteries being added recently you'll probably find that the coding and the data are written in as simple a manner as possible in order to lower the amount of data thats sent serverside. Take the summoner cooldown reduction. Its probably something a long the lines of +%CDR per point and done at a flat rate, rather then a lot of 'if' 'then' and limitation code. Heck its probably a text file thats like 02334500302010002030 (with each number representing a different mastery).

Incidentally, I wonder how they will handle replays with the storage requirements.

Probably end up storing on your computer. Much in the same way 'lol replay' works. Will be interesting when its added. I am not sure how big an impact is going to have on player skill though. I might be more inclined to look at my game and go. 'yup, i messed up there' or 'yup I should have been pressuring a lot harder at the creep line there.' although I don't think I take the same seriously enough to do that.

Stored replay will probably be an optional thing.

If they wanted and this is just my thinking in order to keep the masses happy, they may store 'your last game' data on their servers, with the option to save it afterwards (and the chance to save it afterwards even after you leave the post game lobby (because goodness knows how many times I havn't seen the post game lobby).

They should just add the starcraft option to autosave all replays.

Also a shared viewing would be excellent. So maybe you could watch it with someone and you could both go over it.

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    Never trust the client.

Validation is done client side - This is not just a 'click the last mastery button a few times' and you're cheating. Hence why it hasn't been so widespread and seems to be limited too 1 player in the NA servers (who changes their name a few times from Drterrible to Vayne and [][] Vayne [][] a couple of times. Also and a few players on the Asian servers.

It was likely oversight on the devs part that said 'don't worry the client side validation will be enough, you'd have to go really far in order to break it'. (Yey adobe air)

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    Never trust the client.

Validation is done client side
    - This is not just a 'click the last mastery button a few times' and you're cheating. Hence why it hasn't been so widespread and seems to be limited too 1 player in the NA servers (who changes their name a few times from Drterrible to Vayne and [][] Vayne [][] a couple of times. Also and a few players on the Asian servers.

It was likely oversight on the devs part that said 'don't worry the client side validation will be enough, you'd have to go really far in order to break it'. (Yey adobe air)

Massive amateur dev fail.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Never trust the client.

Validation is done client side
    - This is not just a 'click the last mastery button a few times' and you're cheating. Hence why it hasn't been so widespread and seems to be limited too 1 player in the NA servers (who changes their name a few times from Drterrible to Vayne and [][] Vayne [][] a couple of times. Also and a few players on the Asian servers.

Massive amateur dev fail.

Haha - Riot hire this man :P.

Thinking about it now. The validation has to be done on the adobe air client server (which from my understanding is a mixture of flash and HTML, hence why f5 will refresh the 'watch now' list.

So you'll probably find that there is validation done on the adobe air client server but not on the game server. Which I don't see as a massive failure, rather an oversight. What you're probably looking at is that the hack by-passes the air client server validation and when the information is sent to the game client server which seems to just not have any validation/limitation code put on it just accepts it as is and adds to the character sheets accordingly, and at flat or % rates. Which is amusing.

Yes I used the word 'probably' a lot because I have no idea I am just making educated guesses.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    You don't need to explain the issue, I already said what it was in the first post.

It is always the developers responsibility to validate and calling it an oversight is like saying "I forgot to wear pants to work because it was easily overlooked in our employee handbook my bad."

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    All validation must be done server-side. They should have learned that from Diablo 2 and any other number of games that got their client executables hacked. Never trust the user.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    so

The client is just a black screen, and I foolishly just clicked play thinking it was just the store front. Now I'm in champion select and can't see anything.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    so

The client is just a black screen, and I foolishly just clicked play thinking it was just the store front. Now I'm in champion select and can't see anything.

Ultimate bravery is braver in the dark.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    so

Ultimate bravery is braver in the dark.

So brave.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    For those of you who, unlike me, are smart enough to avoid the official forums, you might be interested in Morello's responses about female champion design. Apparently he thinks that all the young white women with hourglass figures have enough variety because Fiora's outfit is "classy". :/ Also some thoughts from Riot about art design here.

• Options
    You don't need to explain the issue, I already said what it was in the first post.

It is always the developers responsibility to validate and calling it an oversight is like saying "I forgot to wear pants to work because it was easily overlooked in our employee handbook my bad."

http://www.zynox.net/forums/showthread.php/570-Mastery-Page-hack-via-memory-address

This is how they're doing it if you're interested Infidel.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    It would actually be easier than that.

All I'm going on about is the part where you were trying to clarify a blanket statement. Never trust the client.

The tech behind it is irrelevant.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Update for anyone from chat who is still concerned: I found the bagels.

• Options
    Newsflash: Attractive models sell more in game.

That's why we don't see "realistic" models and a mix. Unless it's going for an Oscar, you don't see ugly people leading in movies. This is entertainment, not captain fairplays equality hour.

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

That's why we don't see "realistic" models and a mix. Unless it's going for an Oscar, you don't see ugly people leading in movies. This is entertainment, not captain fairplays equality hour.

Not every girl needs to look like Miss fortune though. It is definitely a bit over the top, and I think they can do a lot of really neat ideas with girls that aren't going to poke me in the eye from 3 feet away.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    for example

when i heard that they were making a bunny rabbit riven skin
    i was thinking it would be like easter teemo
    riven in a full body rabbit suit
    i would have bought that immediately

i didn't buy the bunny riven skin that they put out because it's horrendous

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah bunny girl riven was a little too far for me.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'd still take them over someone with a winning record at 100 games total.

then you haven't played with mooman before

I've played with skippy and em though.

I'm sorry

hi

don't be a dick

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    they mentioned female champs tend to be over feminized(ie heels on everyone) because it's more difficult for those characteristics to be subtle in the in game models.

Jars on
  • Options
    Sampsen wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

Not every girl needs to look like Miss fortune though. It is definitely a bit over the top, and I think they can do a lot of really neat ideas with girls that aren't going to poke me in the eye from 3 feet away.

It's definitely true, and I think the last few releases have been better than the Sona/MF/Cait/Eve times. That said, you're dealing with the same market that buys major market comics, video games etc. which are very hyper-sexualized. I'm not saying it's not a problem, but especially given their business is built around people buying skins+champs, it's doubtful they'll stop with the boobs.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    they mentioned female champs tend to be over feminized(ie heels on everyone) because it's more difficult for those characteristics to be subtle in the in game models.

Which is why I'm generally cool with their over exaggerated models. But that wasn't really the problem with bunny girl.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    they mentioned female champs tend to be over feminized(ie high heels) because it's more difficult for those characteristics to be subtle in the in game models.

ooh ooh i know this one

What is "things that were true in 1998"?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    They should really do Chippendales Gragas to make up for Bunny Girl Riven.

they mentioned female champs tend to be over feminized(ie high heels) because it's more difficult for those characteristics to be subtle in the in game models.

ooh ooh i know this one

To be fair, you would not believe how often I heard people refer to Kayle as 'he'. Silhouette is pretty important for identifying male/female in games!

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    lol char models are not really that much different than wc3 ones which are 11 years old

• Options
    vayne has the best (worst) progression if you look at her skins from oldest to newest

• Options
    Mukk wrote: »
    You may have noticed the korean text?

See this could be a funny Chris Farley reference.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Bethryn wrote: »

ooh ooh i know this one

To be fair, you would not believe how often I heard people refer to Kayle as 'he'. Silhouette is pretty important for identifying male/female in games!

i don't think that that is a huge tragedy
    and i think that heartseeker vayne/battle bunny riven/miss fortune et al. are pretty unfortunate

edit: oh FUCK and officer caitlyn oh my god

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I noticed vayne got some implants right around aristocrat/dragonslayer

but if you take a small chested heavily clothed woman with big muscles and put her as a lol model what would she look like? a man

Jars on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    For me at least, when I pick a champion to try out, I go with Badass/Sexy test.

>Pick Champion
    >Looks Badass?
    >If Yes=Skip to Line9
    >If No=Skip to Line5
    >Looks Sexy?
    >If Yes=Skip to Line9
    >If No=Skip to Line8
    >Return to Line1
    >Play Champion

I'm sure Riot is familiar with this test.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Man I wanna play on the Korean map

They just need to make more palettes for SR, keep things fresh

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Bunny Girl riven just seemed so unnecessary and pointless.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I may have bought Bunnygirl Riven without really thinking about how overly sexualised she was, I honestly didn't think about it that way, I just thought that the idea of Riven dressing up as a club hostess to chop some Noxians up was awesome, so clickclickclick.

I felt fairly embarrassed after the fact, when I realised why everyone ELSE was crying out for Bunnygirl Riven.

We should campaign to have one of the reworked champions as non-white, or at least have some non-white skins for certain champs. Storm Janna, for instance. I don't want to suggest Nidalee on account of that perhaps setting me up to be accused of racial insensitivity, though. :|

Gender-swap models could be decent, though. Male Morgana in a similar outfit would be hilarious for pointing out the over the top nature of her 'costume', for example.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

The community asked for it. Riot gave it.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

All I'm going on about is the part where you were trying to clarify a blanket statement. Never trust the client.

I missed your first post. Where you said it. I initially understood the conversation as a discussion as to what was going on. In future you may wish to word things slightly better, you came off as really rude and dismissive. Its only because I know you better that I wasn't thinking 'wow this guy is a total condescending and egotistical dick'

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

I missed your first post. Where you said it. I initially understood the conversation as a discussion as to what was going on. In future you may wish to word things slightly better, you came off as really rude and dismissive. Its only because I know you better that I wasn't thinking 'wow this guy is a total condescending and egotistical dick'

Then you don't know him at all. That fits him to a T.
    all the <3 Infidel

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

The community asked for it. Riot gave it.

yeah.....

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »

Gender-swap models could be decent, though. Male Morgana in a similar outfit would be hilarious for pointing out the over the top nature of her 'costume', for example.

any more so than pantheon, gragas, garen, kassadin, malzahar, pentakill morde, ryze, and now varus do? these guys run around like shirtless he-men.

This discussion has been closed.