As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    MLORD wrote: »
    Are scalpers seriously this bad this year as to have almost all badges sell out in less than 24 hours???? I mean literally EVERY badge almost in 24 hours, someone should really look into this

They have looked into it. PA is confident (apparently) that the speed of sale was not significantly influenced by scalpers. That's not to say that there aren't scalpers buying badges, but that most of the sales did not have the telltale signs of mass orders (multiple uses of the same credit card #, large orders going to the same or very similar address, etc).

zerzhul on
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    MLORD wrote: »
    Are scalpers seriously this bad this year as to have almost all badges sell out in less than 24 hours???? I mean literally EVERY badge almost in 24 hours, someone should really look into this

Here's the problem: if you look at the sales data, you can see this coming. 2 years ago it took just about 100 days to sell out of 3-day passes. Last year it was 22 days. Giving this year a generous 1 day I plotted up the data as an exponential, and my prediction is that passes will sell out in 3 hours next year.

I think PAX is simply a victim of its own success. I know I have been an effective missionary for it since attending last year. I can't imagine any of you all have been any different. It sucks for everybody who couldn't get passes, but it is what it is.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• EleriEleri Registered User regular
    Last years attendance was 70Kish, argue that 2/3 of those were 3day passes and that's around 45K people in a few hours. I can't even wrap my brain around that. It starts pushing into 'really not fair' territory, given the small window of opportunity for getting the news, having the funds available, and logging in to purchase. But I dunno how you'd fix it for almost 100 thousand people- unless they started doing a random lottery or rolling releases or something.

Linking Book Nerds Unite!
    MYSTERIUM 2014 Spokane, WA
    www.mysterium.net
    Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of Myst & Beyond
    www.unwrittenrpg.com
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    Eleri wrote: »
    Last years attendance was 70Kish, argue that 2/3 of those were 3day passes and that's around 45K people in a few hours. I can't even wrap my brain around that. It starts pushing into 'really not fair' territory, given the small window of opportunity for getting the news, having the funds available, and logging in to purchase. But I dunno how you'd fix it for almost 100 thousand people- unless they started doing a random lottery or rolling releases or something.

70k is a turnstile number. Divide that by 3 for average daily attendance, and then some portion (maybe 2/3 to 3/4) of those are 3 day passes. It's not 45k 3-days, it's more like 18k 3-days. Also, this is the BYOC thread, not the reg thread.

zerzhul on
  • Xieflow2Xieflow2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edit: Wrong thread. I Just saw "sold out" didn't know what a BYOC was at first.

Xieflow2 on
  • Jerryn206Jerryn206 Registered User new member
    My friend just told me his room mate bought 15 3-day passes...so much for the no scalper theory...

• PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    Jerryn206 wrote: »
    My friend just told me his room mate bought 15 3-day passes...so much for the no scalper theory...

and my friend said he saw Jesus fighting a T-Rex on the Atlantic. If I don't see any proof then I'd say your friend's friend is probably not very truthful :P

• GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Guys, this is the BYOC thread.. take it elsewhere. :P

• SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    I never intended to buy a BYOC pass I just want to know how many BYOC passes do they sell?

I remembered the previous years, there where at least 100 custom PCs in the PC room so I'm assuming 100?

Senicks wrote: »
    I never intended to buy a BYOC pass I just want to know how many BYOC passes do they sell?

I remembered the previous years, there where at least 100 custom PCs in the PC room so I'm assuming 100?

Around 300 as per the second post in the thread. :)

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Hey, out of curiosity, could there be a survey somewhere asking what games people will be playing? Perhaps in future registrations there could be a short survey as well?

• The_CyberchristThe_Cyberchrist Registered User regular
    Anyone have some sweet case mods in the works for byoc. My current mod consists of a scrapped pump organ sitting in my garage

There is no blackness in this world which has not its mirror image in my soul.
  • EleriEleri Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Also, this is the BYOC thread, not the reg thread.
    Sorry bunches, had been wandering through threads, lost track of where I was. Now, if I could just figure out getting my home compy hooked into the BYOC network...

Linking Book Nerds Unite!
    MYSTERIUM 2014 Spokane, WA
    www.mysterium.net
    Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of Myst & Beyond
    www.unwrittenrpg.com
  • littlejohn32littlejohn32 Registered User new member
    this is so lame this is now the 4th year I will go with out primness dang it

• bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Anyone have some sweet case mods in the works for byoc. My current mod consists of a scrapped pump organ sitting in my garage

I'll be bringing my finished Battle Dragon Bag case. Still working out some kinks with the water cooling though.

• FleenerFleener Registered User regular
    My buddy and I didn't get a room within walking distance to the event (with our computers) and plan on staying out of town (most likely Tukwila) to save money since we'll be driving to the event anyway the first and last day with our computers. Anyway, my question is how late is the parking garage open? The one that is connected to the WSCC. We plan on staying at the BYOC area until close each day. Thanks.

Fleener wrote: »
    My buddy and I didn't get a room within walking distance to the event (with our computers) and plan on staying out of town (most likely Tukwila) to save money since we'll be driving to the event anyway the first and last day with our computers. Anyway, my question is how late is the parking garage open? The one that is connected to the WSCC. We plan on staying at the BYOC area until close each day. Thanks.

I wanna say 3am, but I'm not entirely certain. Either way, I think you can remove your vehicle at any time after closing hours if you pay using the machines rather than a cashier. You just can't park after the given hour.

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Hey this will be my first time doing BYOC. What are the logistics of getting our computers into the BYOC area and when? Does anyone have tips as to assure my computer gets to the room in one piece? I am driving to PAX less than a day's drive so shipment is not an issue.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    GeeCee wrote: »

I wanna say 3am, but I'm not entirely certain. Either way, I think you can remove your vehicle at any time after closing hours if you pay using the machines rather than a cashier. You just can't park after the given hour.

Yeah I am pretty sure you will always be able to exit the garage if you pay with the machines. I have left there as late as 4am before at other events.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    MOSFET wrote: »
    Hey this will be my first time doing BYOC. What are the logistics of getting our computers into the BYOC area and when? Does anyone have tips as to assure my computer gets to the room in one piece? I am driving to PAX less than a day's drive so shipment is not an issue.

BYOC checkin will start 2h before PAX opening. More details (where to go and whatnot) will come out closer to PAX when more details are finalized.

• HagiaHagia Registered User new member
    Here is why you are already sold out. Take a look at ebay and see your tickets on sale for $200 a day +.

Frankly, I hate scalpers, I'm all for gutting them balls to throat but there is not much I can do about this. It's one thing if they are selling tickets they bought at the gate. But selling only online is making it impossible to track.

I actually live in Seattle and cannot go to PAX this year because of this. I'm incredibly pissed off about it. You guys really need to change the way you do these badge sales. It's not working.

• FleenerFleener Registered User regular
    Does anyone have tips as to assure my computer gets to the room in one piece? I am driving to PAX less than a day's drive so shipment is not an issue.

One thing I'd highly suggest is to purchase a hand truck to put your computer, monitor, and bag on. You can find them on amazon for $30;

http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Ideal-Hand-Truck/dp/B001HBH1BM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336096113&sr=8-7

Two years ago my buddy and I had to make 3 trips each from the waiting line to the car (which isn't terrible.. but it's a bit of a walk). This year we're both getting hand trucks to load everything on at the car and only make one trip. Also it'll be a lot easier to move to/in the line and easier when packing up and leaving on Sunday.

• JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Just saying...You broke the record for fastest Sold out Expo

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
    Hagia wrote: »
    Here is why you are already sold out. Take a look at ebay and see your tickets on sale for $200 a day +.

Frankly, I hate scalpers, I'm all for gutting them balls to throat but there is not much I can do about this. It's one thing if they are selling tickets they bought at the gate. But selling only online is making it impossible to track.

I actually live in Seattle and cannot go to PAX this year because of this. I'm incredibly pissed off about it. You guys really need to change the way you do these badge sales. It's not working.

Maybe you should go complain in the 3day pass reg thread instead of the BYOC thread?

• HagiaHagia Registered User new member
    My mistake, thanks for the redirect. :)

• disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Will there be a new batch of single day passes released and if so when?
    Will there be group passes released?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    1. You're on the wrong thread. This is for BYOC.
    2. No. Completely sold out means completely sold out.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    I changed the thread title a bit to try and prevent people from bitching about PAX tickets in here.

Although people don't read before raging so I don't know if that will help.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Does anyone have tips as to assure my computer gets to the room in one piece? I am driving to PAX less than a day's drive so shipment is not an issue.

One thing I'd highly suggest is to purchase a hand truck to put your computer, monitor, and bag on. You can find them on amazon for $30;

http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Ideal-Hand-Truck/dp/B001HBH1BM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336096113&sr=8-7

Two years ago my buddy and I had to make 3 trips each from the waiting line to the car (which isn't terrible.. but it's a bit of a walk). This year we're both getting hand trucks to load everything on at the car and only make one trip. Also it'll be a lot easier to move to/in the line and easier when packing up and leaving on Sunday.

I actually got that same hand cart for last year's BYOC but didn't really like it. My plan this year is to get an actual cart.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Products-Folding-Platform-Truck/dp/B0017TF09Y/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Great idea with the carts guys but what about people that fly in. Double trips for them I guess.

This space for rent
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Great idea with the carts guys but what about people that fly in. Double trips for them I guess.

You could try bribing the hotel front desk to let you borrow their cart, I've seen it before.

row1.pngrow2.png

You could try bribing the hotel front desk to let you borrow their cart, I've seen it before.

I doubt they will let you take it out of the building :P

BigRed wrote: »

I doubt they will let you take it out of the building :P

Hey, it's worth a shot. I got back from a robotics tournament in Anaheim a few weeks ago and hotels in close proximity to the convention center were letting teams use their carts to transport stuff to/from hotels.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    nvm

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
    kube00 wrote: »
    Wow tickets went fast Im happy with a fri/sat pass

This is the BYOC thread, not comments about regular passes thread...

• ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    In previous years, BYOC passes were untradeable. Are we able to trade our BYOC passes to another person if we find out we cannot make it? Or do we have to address an email to you guys about it?

In previous years, BYOC passes were untradeable. Are we able to trade our BYOC passes to another person if we find out we cannot make it? Or do we have to address an email to you guys about it?

They are tradeable now because they are being shipped with your regular PAX badges.

or you can get a refund.

• ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    Thanks BigRed. I Look forward to another amazing BYOC this year.

• Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    What would be the issue with a cart and flying? I would think it would be even more useful.

• ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    What would be the issue with a cart and flying? I would think it would be even more useful.
    That would be pretty hard, and probably expensive, to pack.

This discussion has been closed.