As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I was in the planning stages of trying to run a Risk:Legacy PbP game, but got stuck on one thing.

How are you going to handle attacking/defending? Seems like that would require alot of posts for just one attack, which means turns could take forever.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

My first designer board games were Zombies!!! and Munchkins.

I wish a lot more design had went into Zombies!!!. BURRRRRRRRN

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I was in the planning stages of trying to run a Risk:Legacy PbP game, but got stuck on one thing.

How are you going to handle attacking/defending? Seems like that would require alot of posts for just one attack, which means turns could take forever.

I would assume the same way other combat games handle lots of dice rolls - the host makes all the rolls and posts the results. We did this with our last TI game and it works fine as long as all the modifiers and such are spelled out in detail to the players.

sartori on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    sartori wrote: »
    Tayrun wrote: »
    I had many entertaining nights in first year of uni playing drunken Munchkin. Great game? No. Good social lubricant? Sure, when mixed with alcohol.

I barely play it these days, but I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

I found this to be true depending on who you are with. Last time I played it the host of the game was super-serious about playing "well", yet many of us were not sober (me included). His getting upset at some of our drunken play choices has literally made me not want to play it again.

What the hell. Munchkin is basically the perfect example of a game you can't take serious under any circumstances.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options

I would assume the same way other combat games handle lots of dice rolls - the host makes all the rolls and posts the results. We did this with our last TI game and it works fine as long as all the modifiers and such are spelled out in detail to the players.

except that you can stop attacking a country at any point. So its not just one post for "Russia attacking Siberia" it could be many.

So for every attack, you'll have to get a post from the attacker committing however many armies they are committing, then from the defender stating how many armies are going to defend.

I get that it could be done, just wondering if there was a more elegant way of doing it that he thought of that I didnt.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So my FLGS is holding a copy of Twilight Struggle for my friend. We are gonna pick it up, punch it out and learn and play it at the store today.

Anything common pitfalls for new players? I'm going to see if I can fin the rulebook online and start learning the game.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So my FLGS is holding a copy of Twilight Struggle for my friend. We are gonna pick it up, punch it out and learn and play it at the store today.

Anything common pitfalls for new players? I'm going to see if I can fin the rulebook online and start learning the game.

Be very clear on the differences between the move types and the restrictions/penalties on them. If you can't figure out why you would ever use move X, you're probably missing something.

If DEFCON goes down to one, the active player always loses. It doesn't matter who made the decision that causes the change.

Friendly/neutral events are played for actions OR the event. Enemy events are played for actions in exchange for the event.

admanb on
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

Be very clear on the differences between the move types and the restrictions/penalties on them. If you can't figure out why you would ever use move X, you're probably missing something.

If DEFCON goes down to one, the active player always loses. It doesn't matter who made the decision that causes the change.

Friendly/neutral events are played for actions OR the event. Enemy events are played for actions in exchange for the event.

Awesome thanks! I'll try to keep this points in mind as I go through the rules. :)

• Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular

except that you can stop attacking a country at any point. So its not just one post for "Russia attacking Siberia" it could be many.

So for every attack, you'll have to get a post from the attacker committing however many armies they are committing, then from the defender stating how many armies are going to defend.

I get that it could be done, just wondering if there was a more elegant way of doing it that he thought of that I didnt.

Could just do a conditional order, commit x number of troops if I fail after 3 attempts then withdraw etc

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

The Baron Munchausen game sounds like a better Aye Dark Overlord to me... I like it.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular

Could just do a conditional order, commit x number of troops if I fail after 3 attempts then withdraw etc

Another option is to get the players and host together on IRC when it is time to resolve the combat.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    WARNING: INCOMING GAME

My Risk Legacy world has opened its last packet, so the PbP will be starting soon. This is intended for five people that wouldn't otherwise be able to experience this awesome bit of tabletoppery, and it's a 15 game commitment! Only sign-up if you feel you can stick with it for the whole run!

Note the first: When would this be starting?

Note the second: How long is each game estimated to last?

Note the third:
    fuck%20yeah%20dementia.gif

We approve of this endeavor.

I'm definitely interested but these are important questions, indeed.

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »
    I had many entertaining nights in first year of uni playing drunken Munchkin. Great game? No. Good social lubricant? Sure, when mixed with alcohol.

I barely play it these days, but I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

I found this to be true depending on who you are with. Last time I played it the host of the game was super-serious about playing "well", yet many of us were not sober (me included). His getting upset at some of our drunken play choices has literally made me not want to play it again.

Severity kills munchkin. We had a drunken thing going where when you fail to run from a monster, you can act out (full drunken LARPage) the battle. If it's funny enough, the group decides you have escaped unharmed. Usually with some sort of penalty like having to keep talking in that stupid accent you just used.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Read the section on Realignment rolls and Coup attempts. Then again. Then again. Read it until you are able to recite it flawlessly.

Something I messed up during my first couple of games.

Realignment rolls. Do your rolls and include the modifiers. The winner removes the difference in rolls from the opponent influence in the country, BUT DOES NOT ADD HIS OWN INFLUENCE TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE IF NEEDED.

I used to think that if I won an alignment roll at +3, and you had 1 influence in the country, then I would remove your 1 and add 2 of my own, to make it to three. THIS IS WRONG. YOU SHOULD ONLY REMOVE THE ONE ENEMY INFLUENCE AND NOT ADD ANY OF YOUR OWN. This is vital in understanding why realignment rolls are useful - when I played it the wrong way, there's no point in realigning an enemy country where you have no influence, as with the modifiers they'll probably win, at which point I would add more influence for them, whereas I should just have been doing nothing. Playing it the right way means realignment rolls are a great way to break an enemy hold on a country to let you get a foothold with an influence action.

Note that coups work differently. In coups you do get to add your own influence if you do well.

A strategic note: Playing as the US? First player advantage is best exploited by couping battleground countries asap and often. Lock the defcon down and hence prevent the USSR from messing with you too much.

Great game. Have fun!

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular

Mmmmmm yes, take that Fleet Captains. 100% on board with that review.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

The Baron Munchausen game sounds like a better Aye Dark Overlord to me... I like it.

Oh, wow, they made a new edition? Had no idea. Surprised it's a over 100 pages, since the old edition (the copy I have is from 1998) was a hair over 20.

tCbEd.jpg

I had the pleasure of playing this once with a bunch of friends who were either into theater or English majors, so they knew how to bullshit spontaneously. It's amazing.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm currently working on the OP, but I need to make sure I have all the art assets and the .psd file set before moving forward. I also have to make the resource deck on Adamb's site, and see if there are any rules I might need to tweak to facilitate PbP. Could be as early as next week.

As far as game length, it entirely depends on the group. Games can go lightning fast if players are aggressive enough, but generally you are looking at average lengths on par with Chaos in the Old World. I do not expect to keep the same five people for each game, but they will get preference unless newer players start getting in more games.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'm currently working on the OP, but I need to make sure I have all the art assets and the .psd file set before moving forward. I also have to make the resource deck on Adamb's site, and see if there are any rules I might need to tweak to facilitate PbP. Could be as early as next week.

As far as game length, it entirely depends on the group. Games can go lightning fast if players are aggressive enough, but generally you are looking at average lengths on par with Chaos in the Old World. I do not expect to keep the same five people for each game, but they will get preference unless newer players start getting in more games.

I'm down for this. My RL group will be playing game 4 and 5 (and 6 if we have time) Monday night, and can't wait to open another packet.

• Options
    This is not going to be open to people that have already played. I want a new and, most importantly, ignorant group playing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sounds fair! :)

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    This is not going to be open to people that have already played. I want a new and, most importantly, ignorant group playing.

What's an Ignor Ant? Are they extra big or something? Hunchbacked? Now I'm curious.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    So, how bout that Ogre kickstarter? They've got nearly a half million pledged for an initial goal of 20k (right now they're at 442,409).
    Thinking about kicking in a hundred to get a copy of the game. I've got a thing for big, impressive looking boxes.
    bigogrebox.jpg
    They say that thing weighs 14 pounds.

I imagine that Ogre has something of a following around here (and it was my own failure that couldn't find an existing thread dedicated to it). It's one of those games that's always looked interesting to me when I see it referenced. I mean, puny human hover tanks and infantry against a giant fortress like super-tank that could eat a baneblade for breakfast? Sounds like a blast to me, so long as I get to be the super tank.

Really hoping they hit the 450k stretch goal. They say they'll get the actual miniatures back in print at that point, rather then the chipboard models they're planning on using now.
    $450,000 - Okay! Somehow, some way, we WILL bring back the Ogre miniatures (and not just the Ogres themselves, but the whole line). Maybe resin, maybe metal. I have already gotten some interesting responses from custom casters.
    Don't get me wrong, these look okay, but I'd like to see the actual minis make a comeback with the game.

Wait, do the mini's come in the box, or do they mean as a seperate line? oh shit if theres minis I will buy this so hard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I believe they said that they will look into minis as a separate thing from the reprint, but that they're committed to getting minis made somehow by the end of 2013.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Patiently waiting for the Risk Boardgame which sounds awesome.

So, so awesome.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I feel like The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen would be an excellent play-by-post game, with appropriate time limits, since it would allow hilariously fanciful and extravagant writing.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    PMAvers wrote: »

Oh, wow, they made a new edition? Had no idea. Surprised it's a over 100 pages, since the old edition (the copy I have is from 1998) was a hair over 20.

I had the pleasure of playing this once with a bunch of friends who were either into theater or English majors, so they knew how to bullshit spontaneously. It's amazing.

I had heard of this game before I got into boardgaming, but it hasn't crossed my mind in years. I'm thrilled to see a new version of it! I might have to get it on principle.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    So I played some Twilight Struggle! It seemed pretty interesting but I really had no idea what the heck I was doing strategy wise. I ended up losing as USSR on the first turn of the Mid-War due to the US scoring Europe for the auto-win. In hindsight I played a lot of things very poorly, so did my opponent, he just played less poorly than I did. Still, seems very interesting. But having any idea what is a good strategy the first time you are playing is definitely not intuitive.

• Options
    So I played some Twilight Struggle! It seemed pretty interesting but I really had no idea what the heck I was doing strategy wise. I ended up losing as USSR on the first turn of the Mid-War due to the US scoring Europe for the auto-win. In hindsight I played a lot of things very poorly, so did my opponent, he just played less poorly than I did. Still, seems very interesting. But having any idea what is a good strategy the first time you are playing is definitely not intuitive.

Everyone plays TS awfully for their first few games, don't worry. We've all fucked up and lost Europe sometime. Just keep playing, it'll get better quickly when the rules click.

First bit of tactical thinking for you: How to deal with the 'Blockade' card in the early game?

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular

I have never played Risk:Legacy before.

I am so ignorant that I think the sun revolves around the earth.

Do i qualify

• Options
    The Risk Legacy PbP thread is up.

It's actually way easier to get this ready than I expected. BBG had me covered.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    WARNING: INCOMING GAME
    BOB WILL SAVE US!

Alphanumeric referencing there. Good work.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The Risk Legacy PbP thread is up.

It's actually way easier to get this ready than I expected. BBG had me covered.

Box and Bits Geek?
    ;P

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Do you know what I did today with ym mate? I played Sentinels of the Multiverse.

And then I played Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Somewhere in those 7 games we played Rune Age twice as well.

Wow, I wish I had Sentinels right here in my hands so I could sleep with it. It's the opposite of Puerto Rico for me - the least well-designed game that I really want to play. It has balance issues all over the shop, it's fiddly, it's inelegant in many respects, it's confusing, the rules are tremendously underwritten, and it's so much fun. I love that it has all these different combos of heroes+villain+environment, so tons of replayability, but can be set up in moments.

If any game tells a story it's Sentinels of the Multiverse.

It's going on the list, not least because it's soloable.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have never heard of nor seen Orge before this thread I am interested but $100 for a foam board tank is a little much
    I do find it funny Illuminati still has a following

• Options
    Man, if I could find a good set of house rules that made Illuminati more playable, I might be on that shit.

• Options
    Dang it Posh. That made me look up Sentinels of the Multiverse and now I want to buy it.

This thread is the reason Rune Age is coming in the mail today.

After a quick check on BGG, it sounds like SotM is a really fun game plagued by some weird balance issues?

• Options
    That zombiecide game made it onto the PA front page again. There's a ridiculous amount of stuff that people will get if they buy it in terms of min's, I guess. I'm sort of tempted, but it looks so much like old, boring zombie splatter games.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I played Memoir 44 with my friend last night. I have to admit, after Commands & Colors: Ancients its just plain boring. The opening scenario of C&C:A has a good variety of troops, albeit no terrain. The opening scenario of Memoir has nothing but infantry, with a bunch of terrain. I also noticed the pacing of Memoir seems much more focused on taking good cover and hoping the other play just comes to you. We played the second scenario, and I was gravely disappointed to see I had a single person in the center section, who was killed before I got a turn. I also had a hand full of command center cards (useless) and a command artillery card (no artillery in this scenario). So, points against the deck too. The intro scenarios at least do NOT seem to play to the strengths of this game.

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »
    So I played Memoir 44 with my friend last night. I have to admit, after Commands & Colors: Ancients its just plain boring. The opening scenario of C&C:A has a good variety of troops, albeit no terrain. The opening scenario of Memoir has nothing but infantry, with a bunch of terrain. I also noticed the pacing of Memoir seems much more focused on taking good cover and hoping the other play just comes to you. We played the second scenario, and I was gravely disappointed to see I had a single person in the center section, who was killed before I got a turn. I also had a hand full of command center cards (useless) and a command artillery card (no artillery in this scenario). So, points against the deck too. The intro scenarios at least do NOT seem to play to the strengths of this game.

Memoir is definitely less complex than C&C:A, which was a selling point for me - already have enough complex games.

I feel I ought to point out that the first few scenarios are intended as training missions, they gradually introduce the different types of units. First is infantry, then second mission is infantry and tanks, etc. Shouldn't judge a game by its tutorial.

Also, you're condemning the deck for not giving you the cards you needed? Whaaaa? Sure I'm annoyed by dice when they stubbornly refuse to stop rolling snake eyes (six in a row is my record), but I don't get mad at the game when that happens.

I have been known to fling dice across the room in a fit of THAT'SNOTRANDOMARRRRGH, though.