As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    real talk

Amon is a Char
    char.gif
    agreed

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I didn't know you were into anime, anti

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not like they live in a totalitarian dictatorship, there's just a bit of class inequality. It's a huge problem and all, but as far as we know the government isn't executing people that don't agree with it, which is unlikely considering who founded the city and presumably it's laws in the first place.

I think people kind of miss that while Amon DOES have a legitimate point, his methods are fucking insane. You can have a point and still be so totally off base in how you make that point as to invalidate yourself as someone who can talk about it.

Indeed. As you point out, class inequality is a huge problem for those on the bottom. Amon is just stoking those fires.

I honestly think widespread teaching of the chi-blocker techniques would be a good way to give the non-bender populace some sense of control. But drama is about conflict and all.

Yeah, I can imagine it wouldn't be nearly so feared if it was taught was a general defense against benders, and not tied into any sort of terrorist group.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I didn't know you were into anime, anti

if andrew wk has a song about you you can't be all bad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiCvZT-Klg

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    there are no bender and non-bender "classes"

there are good old poor and rich classes, which are apparently equally populated by both benders and non benders

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, but throwing in the whole "your body is a weapon of total distruction" thing into the mix makes it easier to find someone to blame. This isn't a solution to the problem, it's someone taking advantage of it, unconsciously or not. Amon is fighting a guerilla war to try to fix a social problem. It doesn't matter how good you are at fighting, that is not how you make people treat each other with more respect.

Which funnily enough ties back into the problems Korra has as a person, so this show has good writing.

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

there are good old poor and rich classes, which are apparently equally populated by both benders and non benders

Pretty sure this isn't the case

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Apparently nothing. Like I was saying earlier in the thread, neither TLA nor Korra has established what the population ratio of benders to non-benders is, or if any of them are predisposed to privilege or anything else. We can make assumptions based on evidence in scenes from TLA, but this evidence is fundamentally flawed because TLA was not written with any of that in mind. Korra is, but we only have Amon's word for how equal or unequal things are, which is obviously not trustworthy. So until we get an episode showing up one way or the other, all this speculation is more or less baseless.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular

Mako being famous but poor is not the sort of nuance that you'll hear from Amon. He's a politician more or less. He's building his audience on resentment and fear.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    for real though, in x-men? you should absolutely have to register if you're a mutant

• Options
    like I wouldn't do it because they kill you with big robots but in a non-insane world

• Options
    a non-insane world where people still have mutant powers

• Options
    Skull Man wrote: »
    for real though, in x-men? you should absolutely have to register if you're a mutant

for real

• Options

god, i feel sorry for the people with an extra thumb or transluscent skin or warty bumps all over their head

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Couldn't it just be like a new box on the census form

"do you have super powers Y/N if Y then describe them"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

god, i feel sorry for the people with an extra thumb or transluscent skin or warty bumps all over their head

I don't mean like register and go to a camp

but if you can shoot lasers out of your eyes or your body is a living nuclear reactor then that's information that the government should have access to in case you're, say, knocked unconscious in a car crash, so that when they're performing triage on you they don't blow up a hospital

Skull Man on
  • Options
    that's what it'd turn into, though

because people with the x-gene get random things

so even if you're stuck with something like fingers that are a foot long you'd have to register and they'd likely be rounded up just because of the potential of their offspring

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I dunno, that almost seems justifiable considering the potential danger

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    my policy is

if you ever call yourself "homo-superior" then you get shot on sight

if you call yourself a human with superpowers then yeah that should probably be in your records, but you still get full rights

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    oh yeah

and then there was that kid in Ultimate who just killed all living matter, like vaporized it, within a 100 foot radius

woke up to an empty house, went to school, saw his girlfriend and friends melt in front of him

as she clutched at his shirt, eyeballs turning to gas, she croaked IT'S YOOOOOOOOOOOU

• Options
    oh yeah

and then there was that kid in Ultimate who just killed all living matter, like vaporized it, within a 100 foot radius

woke up to an empty house, went to school, saw his girlfriend and friends melt in front of him

as she clutched at his shirt, eyeballs turning to gas, she croaked IT'S YOOOOOOOOOOOU

christ, that fucking issue

and then the ending

• Options
    gotta say the whole "mutants as a metaphor for racism" thing is getting a bit old

because there's a big difference between having differently colored skin and the shit Skull Man described above

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    oh yeah

That was a super good issue too. The end of it, dang.

• Options
    "Just...

do it."

• Options
    how did the ending go

• Options
    how did the ending go
    the framing story was wolverine finding him in a cave, talking to him, because professor x found him via cerebro. wolverine had to kill him.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    "Just...

do it."

so the whole thing was a Nike ad.

• Options
    ultimate x-men was so goddamn good

fucking kirkman

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I wanna read that issue.

I need to get into the digital comics format so I can read older stuff on the cheap.

• Options
    ultimate x-men was so goddamn good

fucking kirkman

i actually stopped with the last vaughan trade so i never read his bullshit

• Options
    how did the ending go

Xavier sends Wolverine to kill the kid, 'cause Wolverine's healing factor is enough to keep him alive around him. The kid is totally innocent and horrified with himself for doing all this, but can't help it. Xavier can't allow this bad press from the kid's powers to ruin what he's trying to build in the public eye. There's a really good sympathetic conversation between Wolverine and the kid before anything happens, and although he does it (off screen) he leaves the cave looking disgusted with himself and it basically sets up this whole thing with distrust against Xavier.

It's a really damn good issue, and does a lot to help Wolverine's character, since he's a pretty huge piece of horrible shit for the early parts of the comic.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    almost at the season 1 finale

this episode has been a series of great moments

all in a row

Me too!

Hopefully the gf and I can get the last few episodes watched tonight.

• Options
    ultimate x-men was the first actual comic I ever read regularly

so I wasn't really familiar with the concept of authors changing

they did change but hey it stayed great so who cared! Millar was great, Bendis was great, Vaughan was great

then all of a sudden all the characters started acting fucking insane and horrible and I didn't understand

I didn't know

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I have conflicting feelings about a plot like that death kid thing

On the one hand, interesting and feasible in context

On the other hand, soooo contrived

• Options
    I remember reading Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men, the first Ultimate Galactus trade

i actually read more x-men than spider-man just because of the amount of trades the library had (12 vs 7, the latter being up to venom and then Superstars for some reason.)

• Options
    I don't even remember where I stopped reading Ultimate X-men. The quality was in general top notch, but there were some arcs that I thought kind of ridiculous. The arc with Xavier's kid comes pretty quickly to mind. It had some excellent moments but they just went too over the top with it. Also Magneto was a little bit too evil. But that opinion largely stems from my preference of sympathetic villains, he was quite effective as a character and storyline focus.

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »

it wasn't really contrived in context and the execution was solid

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »

The idea is pretty contrived yeah but the actual execution was spot on.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Pffff

pun definitely intended

(I didn't even notice till you pointed it out)

This discussion has been closed.