As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    cepheus DT wrote: »
    my friend told me that i had to click the fexex option in order to have our passes shipped even though we live in the states. i dident know this at the time of ordering and did not click the box. will they be shipped to me as things stand? if not is there a way i can modify my order so that they are?

You do not need to click the fedex option if you live in the states. They'll be mailed to you by USPS.

• Evil_Demon55Evil_Demon55 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Nother quick question.. Will there be a tweet out the day the badges come back up for sale?

yes

Can this be a better tweet, like tickets will be on sale on (......) instead of right now? I think a lot more would prefer the quick purchase than the lucky "I just happened to be on the site and got them"

• DDiceDaveDDiceDave Registered User regular
    How do I (a volunteer) spread the word about a TT game that I will be demoing? Last year I was allowed to post in a TT topic (non-DnD), but I think it was lost (accidently) in the shuffle of things. I would like to get the word out but only with PAX's blessing of course :D .
    Thank You very much in advance for any and all help!
    -Dave

Volunteer Representative for
    SFR Inc. (Makers of Dragon Dice & Daemon Dice)
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    in a few weeks a Table Top thread will be posted. You can then post in there! :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    If we're interested in Enforcing, is there any way to find out when we'll be needed in Seattle before filling out the application?

Just want to make sure I know whether or not I need to put in for a week off from work instead of four days, and if I need to start trying to find a couch to crash on.

[IMG][/img]
  • raddevonraddevon Registered User regular
    If I decide to take my chances and travel across the country to Seattle without passes for me, my wife, and my daughter, what are the chances I will be able to pick up three of them at the show? What should I expect to pay for them?

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    If we're interested in Enforcing, is there any way to find out when we'll be needed in Seattle before filling out the application?

Just want to make sure I know whether or not I need to put in for a week off from work instead of four days, and if I need to start trying to find a couch to crash on.

there is an enforcer thread somewhere around here with lots of info. Generally you want to be around for thursday day for set up and monday for tear down / afterparty.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    SmallLady wrote: »

there is an enforcer thread somewhere around here with lots of info. Generally you want to be around for thursday day for set up and monday for tear down / afterparty.

protip: Follow @Official_PAX (with SMS turned on) to get the latest news about PAX. In the past, they have tweeted about the Call for Enforcers through that account. In addition, paxsite.com will announce when and if recruitment is open for Enforcers.

As an aside, becoming an Enforcer is not a great way to "see" the show. Enforcers work the show, and actually make what you guys see happen a success. But it's hard work, and definitely time consuming (not to mention incredibly addictive). If your motivation to become an Enforcer is to "see the show because passes are sold out," .. well, that'd be the wrong reason. =)

If your motivation to become an Enforcer is because you want to be part of the crew that makes PAX happen and helps create an environment that is awesomesauce for attendees, then that'd be the right reason! =)

Just my $0.02.

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • (DN)Bow Master(DN)Bow Master Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Last year I was watching their broadcast, and since I will be going this year I was wondering, where are they going to located on the convention grounds? For their coverage of PAX Prime?
    I've no idea who you're talking about, but this would be a "map" question, and the map won't be released until mid-August.

I mean X-play. I was wondering where they are going to broadcasting from on the convention floor >.<

I swear..... nvm....

(DN)Bow Master on
    Last year I was watching their broadcast, and since I will be going this year I was wondering, where are they going to located on the convention grounds? For their coverage of PAX Prime?
    I've no idea who you're talking about, but this would be a "map" question, and the map won't be released until mid-August.

I mean X-play. I was wondering where they are going to broadcasting from on the convention floor >.<

I swear..... nvm....

I think Jaber's response still holds here. Media (like X-play) will most likely roam the floor and where they decide to do broadcasting from, is probably something that we'll never know until day of show (and that's even iffy). If they announce that they'll be broadcasting from a specific booth, then sure you could generally say "they'll be in the Expo Hall", but if you're wanting to know exactly the location of where a booth is going to be /in/ the Expo Hall, yeah.. that's a map question, and the map generally isn't known/released until at most a couple weeks prior to the show. =)

Sorry we can't be more helpful from this front. =)

Vapok
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »

protip: Follow @Official_PAX (with SMS turned on) to get the latest news about PAX. In the past, they have tweeted about the Call for Enforcers through that account. In addition, paxsite.com will announce when and if recruitment is open for Enforcers.

As an aside, becoming an Enforcer is not a great way to "see" the show. Enforcers work the show, and actually make what you guys see happen a success. But it's hard work, and definitely time consuming (not to mention incredibly addictive). If your motivation to become an Enforcer is to "see the show because passes are sold out," .. well, that'd be the wrong reason. =)

If your motivation to become an Enforcer is because you want to be part of the crew that makes PAX happen and helps create an environment that is awesomesauce for attendees, then that'd be the right reason! =)

Just my $0.02.

I've been considering it for a while, figured that with three days sold out this might be the year.

Just considering all my options right now, but thanks for the tips.

[IMG][/img]
    raddevon wrote: »
    If I decide to take my chances and travel across the country to Seattle without passes for me, my wife, and my daughter, what are the chances I will be able to pick up three of them at the show? What should I expect to pay for them?

The chances are near zero unless you want to take the chance that you're buying a fake pass from a scalper. There will be no officially sanctioned badge selling avenues at the show. There will, hopefully, be a badge checking station though so at least you can find out if your badge is legit or not.

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

[IMG][/img]
  • Jerryn206Jerryn206 Registered User new member

You'll be able to find them fairly easily on craigslist in seattle. Last year there were a ton on there. Usually they pop up 2 weeks before PAX, which is when they get mailed out. Expect to pay $150+ for a 3 day and probably around $60+ for a 1 day.

Jerryn206 wrote: »

You'll be able to find them fairly easily on craigslist in seattle. Last year there were a ton on there. Usually they pop up 2 weeks before PAX, which is when they get mailed out. Expect to pay $150+ for a 3 day and probably around $60+ for a 1 day.

There will be listings, but that was a good avenue for counterfeiters in the past. It's an at-your-own risk proposition.

Sadly, for the record, I would not trust craigslist (or any outlet for that matter), no matter how much they are. You are on your own risk, if you try to purchase a 3rd party badge, and I don't condone doing so. Buyer beware.

Vapok
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular

The chances are near zero unless you want to take the chance that you're buying a fake pass from a scalper. There will be no officially sanctioned badge selling avenues at the show. There will, hopefully, be a badge checking station though so at least you can find out if your badge is legit or not.
    Info Desk will always be able and willing to check a badge for legitimacy in addition to any special checking station that gets set up. If it's determined to be a fake though, we (Info Desk) are going to keep it and you won't be able to see the show since you won't have a valid badge.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular

That could have a very sad and disappointing ending for you all, and I'd be super sad, and I DON'T WANNA BE SAD AT PAX

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Uptake: You could do it anyway and even if you don't get into PAX itself, there's still community events to do, and Seattle is a pretty cool town to sightsee!

There will be listings, but that was a good avenue for counterfeiters in the past. It's an at-your-own risk proposition.

I heard there will be a booth for badge checking. People could just ask the seller to meet at the booth. If it's real, sold, if it's fake... well he probably won't bother meeting you there. But, for this issue, PAX could set up a small outlet at like a Fred Meyer's or a Target for badge checking a few weeks earlier. All volunteer work so it wouldn't be cost worthy, just give the volunteers free access to PAX, or write them off for volunteer work, this should be a possbility.

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So this will be my first year at PAX. My hubby and I are coming in on Thursday morning...what kind of stuff happens Pre/Post PAX that we need to be looking out for? Where do I look for such events?

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    So this will be my first year at PAX. My hubby and I are coming in on Thursday morning...what kind of stuff happens Pre/Post PAX that we need to be looking out for? Where do I look for such events?

The MMT, Pre-PAX Dinner, Barcrawl, among other things. Keep an eye on the forums for the associated threads for these things :)
    http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Pre_PAX_Dinner
    http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Magical_Mystery_Tour

To all those thinking about going to the M's on the off days, you'd better buy your tickets for those games soon, the Mariner's are doing better than normal this you so they might sell out quickly.

• raddevonraddevon Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback. This has been my least troll-y forum experience ever!

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback. This has been my least troll-y forum experience ever!

i agree this forum needs moar trolls

sanovah wrote: »

i agree this forum needs moar trolls

No.

• UbaUba WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have looked around and haven't seen the answer to my question, but I do apologize if this has been said and I simply did not find it.

I am a local student in Seattle and have been developing/will continue developing an independent game with a group from school. We are only creating the game to build up our portfolio and to show off in the hopes of getting a job :) That being said, our group was hoping to give out free copies of the game to anyone willing to take them, on cd/dvd formats, during the convention. Is this okay with pax? We are not registered as indie developers and have no intention of opening our own booth or anything, just some budding designers that want to give away a free game to anyone willing to try it out. Just wanna make sure this is okay with pax as if its not we will not do this at all. Also, if this is not okay, would passing out a flyer/business card be acceptable? Something to direct people towards the site where they can download the game.

Any and all answers are appreciated.

Uba on
    The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

Warhammer: Lizardmen
    Warmachine: Cryx
  • ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    I'm no expert, but I would say that this is probably allowed. What is the purpose behind handing out this game? If you're not selling anything, I wouldn't really advise it from a monetary standpoint.

Uba wrote: »
    I have looked around and haven't seen the answer to my question, but I do apologize if this has been said and I simply did not find it.

I am a local student in Seattle and have been developing/will continue developing an independent game with a group from school. We are only creating the game to build up our portfolio and to show off in the hopes of getting a job :) That being said, our group was hoping to give out free copies of the game to anyone willing to take them, on cd/dvd formats, during the convention. Is this okay with pax? We are not registered as indie developers and have no intention of opening our own booth or anything, just some budding designers that want to give away a free game to anyone willing to try it out. Just wanna make sure this is okay with pax as if its not we will not do this at all. Also, if this is not okay, would passing out a flyer/business card be acceptable? Something to direct people towards the site where they can download the game.

In order to solicit at PAX, you have to be an exhibitor. I'm also no expert on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. email pax_questions@paxsite.com for a definitive answer.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Of course it is. But there are a lot of legit badges to be had as well. I've sold like three or four over the years for face value (or near enough*) at the venue. Or on craigslist and had them pick up at the venue. I've had friends offload unused badges or portions of badges to scalpers out front (they buy as well as well). It happens.

* - Some part of me always feels like selling at a little above face value discourages would-be scalpers from buying my badge to flip. I'm probably wrong, but whatevs.

Complexity wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I would say that this is probably allowed. What is the purpose behind handing out this game? If you're not selling anything, I wouldn't really advise it from a monetary standpoint.

I would think/hope so as well, pax is all about the indie after all. The group and I are aware that we will be losing money (again, free game) but the hope is that it is.. well... noticed haha (especially by a possible employer). It's part of our portfolio so this would just be an example of our work in the never ending quest of getting a job in the industry :)

The witch stands before you now, Burning in demon light, Condemned to serve the black, It cares now for your cries, You fall before it now, Grovel with your last breath, Your god can't save your soul, GAZE INTO THE FACE OF DEATH!

In order to solicit at PAX, you have to be an exhibitor. I'm also no expert on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. email pax_questions@paxsite.com for a definitive answer.

Good idea, thanks much.

Complexity wrote: »

I would think/hope so as well, pax is all about the indie after all. The group and I are aware that we will be losing money (again, free game) but the hope is that it is.. well... noticed haha (especially by a possible employer). It's part of our portfolio so this would just be an example of our work in the never ending quest of getting a job in the industry :)

PAX does like indie devs, but there are strict rules about advertising and soliciting at conventions. You should definitely ask pax_questions@paxsite.com to find out for sure.

Done and done, thanks for the info Zerzhul. I'm sure they'll direct me to the answer :)

• hellerphanthellerphant Registered User new member
    Hey Guys,

So I sent off an email to the general enquiries section RE a press pass and they referred me to the media email. I've already sent them several emails with no reply, and now I've missed out on tickets so I really need to secure a media pass.

Is there a phone number or someone else I can email in regards to securing one? Don't want to take my chances to fly out from Australia to be stuck outside the convention centre :P

Hey Guys,

So I sent off an email to the general enquiries section RE a press pass and they referred me to the media email. I've already sent them several emails with no reply, and now I've missed out on tickets so I really need to secure a media pass.

Is there a phone number or someone else I can email in regards to securing one? Don't want to take my chances to fly out from Australia to be stuck outside the convention centre :P

Media applications aren't open yet. You'll have to wait for them to be open before attempting to apply for a media badge.

• here4thechipshere4thechips Registered User new member
    In 2009 there was a thread about panels who needed help and we would help and in turn get a panel badge to be there to help. Is there going to be something like this of sorts? Because I have the useful basic knowledge of lights and sound systems and helped work at Sakuracon on dispatch and tear down last year.

• WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    Anyone got any methods to like calming the excitement before it runs out when pax come?LOL im so excited and yeah..

• ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular

Well, if you make it into the PAX 10, you'll might get some instant job offers. That's undeniably better than handing out free copies of your game.

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular

One sidenote to this: you might want to check out the buttoneering thread. It's not strictly promotional, but it's a social event at PAX and a lot of people put websites or twitter handles on their buttons. It's not a guaranteed marketing thing, but I know I've checked out people's sites or twitters after trading buttons with them, so it might be worth a shot.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
This discussion has been closed.