As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I remember after Brave was announced with the teaser, I read a column talking about how big a deal (not really a big deal) it was that there was a heroine with bushy curly hair, since you almost never see anything but long flowing hair on female heroes.

I think people just have a 'cism against the scottish

Fear.

Uncontrollable bowel emptying rightful fear.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The face character for Merida actually showed up for the first time at Epcot earlier this week.

As usual it's pretty good, or as good as you can get, considering you can't really hire someone that's Merida's age for the parks.

tumblr_m3d3irHcHH1qdaww5o5_r1_1280.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    her eyes are freaking me the fuck out

• SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    KalTorak wrote: »
    her eyes are freaking me the fuck out

^ I agree

SiLlYxAzN on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Those have to be contacts.

Terrifying, terrifying contacts.

It's like she's looking deep, deep down inside you...very very creepy and when you move she follows you....

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't get why they didn't keep the costume from the The First Avenger. It was cool.

Yeah that thing was mad cool, and would have made more sense to be honest.

EDIT: It looks like the model there went through the 'ol Photoshop machine!

Godfather on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Yeah, they mocked how stupid Captain American costume looks in real life in the first movie. Then they went ahead and used the costume....

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Er, what's so terrible about the new costume? It doesn't look that different from the WWII one to me.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The headpiece does look sort of goofy; without the physical wings sticking out the side like the comics, it looks like just a big round bald cap. That's the only problem I had with it, I dunno if there are issues with the body part. It looks like he spends a good amount of time with the mask off though (they don't really seem to be bothering with secret identities, which I'm fine with), and it only bugs me a little bit when you see it straight on.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    My only problem is that it looks silly compared to the WW2 one, I think it's because it's more streamlined.

If the WW2 one hadn't existed, I'd have no problem with it.

And it is the headpiece that's the most visually offensive part.

Lh96QHG.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Seriously, I'd be fine if his costume in the Avengers was the leather jacket, crappy cap costume shirt from the war bond promos, and the GI helmet with the "A" on it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I'll join in on agreeing the new Capn costume is shit.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It went from this:
    Captain-America-movie-costume.jpg

to this:
    chris-evans-on-captain-americas-avengers-costume-change-67484-00-470-75.jpg

The WWII costume looks sooooo much better.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's the helmet, I hate both of them, but for some reason I hate the WWII one slightly less.

Perhaps it's because it's the one we saw first?

I love the rest of both costumes, really.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I agree that the new costume is an odd choice, but I don't think the WWII costume was better. It was loaded with super thick padding, almost had a muscle suit look from certain angles.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I like the WWII costume more (feels more utilitarian) but really, that helmet/mask is terrible. Captain America's identity isn't secret, he should just ditch the mask.

That's why I like the combat helmet.

My favorite Cap costume is when he went on his impromptu rescue mission.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Honestly, they should went with the WWII costume and ditch the helmet.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The WW II suit is about 100 times better. It looks sturdy, strong, and I really like the visible fabric.

Neither helmet is really good upon inspections... perhaps they could've altered it to look like a combat helmet? Cap must be somewhat afraid of getting shot in the head, and having a built-in radio or somesuch would give him more of a 'battlefield commander' aura.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    That's why I like the combat helmet.

My favorite Cap costume is when he went on his impromptu rescue mission.

I didn't like his impromtu outfit on that rescue mission, but I did like the helmet. It was perfect really.

camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2012
    Well it was basically just a WW2 combat uniform with a snazzy shield.

The combat helmet does not get enough love these days.

For comparison:

tumblr_m3fr1c5lcy1qcvmibo1_250.gif

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Mind you, the reason they went for the new suit is obvious: it's got to look like Captain America's iconic uniform.

edited May 2012
    Indeed.

I'd keep the suit, change the helmet. MAYBE throw on a bit of a mask if they're worried about keeping the assumed dead for 60 years super soldier whose loved ones are all dead's identity safe.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    I really like the whole "we don't really care about secret identities" angle they're taking. Sometimes it works (TDK), but sometimes it's just an outlet for meaningless angst (Spider-man movies).

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    really though, I can only think of 3 characters where secret identities are a huge part of who they are

Superman
    Batman
    Spider-Man

ok, maybe the Flash

• DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    WW 2 cap was definitely a better costume, should've just rolled with that one. Won't stop me from seeing this, but if they make a Captain America 2 (probably happening), they should consider redesigning the costume. The helmet is definitely the oddest part of both costumes, would've been fine if he just rolled without the helmet.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    Joolander wrote: »
    really though, I can only think of 3 characters where secret identities are a huge part of who they are

Superman
    Batman
    Spider-Man

ok, maybe the Flash

wonder woman, green lantern, robin or nightwing

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The turtleneck on the contemporary suit is pretty horrible.

^yup it does

• BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I'd say Daredevil is in that category

Superman
    Batman
    Spider-Man

ok, maybe the Flash

If we're talking Marvel characters, then Daredevil is absolutely on that list.

I can't think of another character besides Spidey who has as much baggage related to their secret identity.

Totally forgot about Daredevil D:

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I swear the new costume is squishing his face out the front of the mask.

It might have been better if the helmet was a little bigger to re-emphasize the shape, but then that might've run into a sort of 'mini-Juggernaut' look to the mask.

Suppose I would've preferred the mask off, maybe it hangs off the back of his neck and he can pull it back on if he needs his game face or something...sort of like Batman does in the comics when he's in the batcave feeling like it's a casual friday.

But seriously the helmet makes it look weird and not saying that i wouldn't see the movie just because of that.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Yeah, having seen the film the helmet definately looks jarring, it reduces his face to just this patch of skin around his mouth while being weirdly flat around the ears.

Extremely minor costume spoilers:
    They seem to have come to the same conclusion, because he spends a lot of the movie with it off anyways.

Kelor wrote: »
    Yeah, having seen the film the helmet definately looks jarring, it reduces his face to just this patch of skin around his mouth while being weirdly flat around the ears.

Extremely minor costume spoilers:
    They seem to have come to the same conclusion, because he spends a lot of the movie with it off anyways.

I saw previews and it kind of looks like he doesn't have ears.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Godfather on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    SiLlYxAzN wrote: »

Superman
    Batman
    Spider-Man

ok, maybe the Flash

wonder woman, green lantern, robin or nightwing

maybe in the 70s and before (she's an amazon princess, everyone knows who she is); works in space all the time and therefore doesn't really use his ever; batman mk III and batman mk II

Joolander on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Here's the big issue I have with Cap's new uniform.

It's that it looks identical to the one he was wearing when he was doing those shows at the start. The one that was designed and intended to look as goofy as possible. And now he's wearing it again, but now we're supposed to take it seriously. But I just can't. Even if it is his "iconic" look. Just one of those things that doesn't translate well to live action.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited May 2012
    No need to be stupid about it. It's not identical. It's a similar design, but his USO outfit was goofily padded in all the wrong places. His avengers outfit at least looks streamlined and doesn't seem to be made of wool.

Captain-America-USO-Costume-Chris-Evans.jpg

captain-america-thor-marvel-the-avengers.jpg

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.