As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] The Great Foodening - PAX Food Destinations 2012 now with map

ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
By popular demand here is a link to a map of everything in the spreadsheet with 94 places it is a bit crowded. Here is the giant list.

Back for another year, the great food destination list. This list is not meant to be a list of the snobby foofoo only places but rather a list of places somewhat unique to the Seattle or upper Pacific NW area AND somewhat close to PAX. Unless it is REALLY awesome and unique if it is not within a reasonable no car distance to PAX it may not make the list. Yes some other places will sneak in but no McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc will not.

The list is got really big last year and I have moved it to Google docs instead of listing it all out here. Additionally I started including hours open and special notes. This new format makes the list look cleaner and it is much easier for people to sort however they want. So please check this link for the listing which will continue to be updated.

Distance from the WSCC is in the column marked distance. This is calculated by entering the WSCC and the eatery into Google maps. I choose the WALK option so distance by cars will be farther due to all the one way streets.

A new feature I added to the listing just before PAX last year is a link on the spreadsheet labeled "GMap" (Column heading "Show Me!") this is for those of us looking at the map on a mobile device that want to be able to get a map to the location from your current location (I was originally going to do it from the convention center but thought this was a better solution). Clicking this link will open up Google maps with a pin of the address and let you get directions.

I have tried to make it a bit easier this year to locate places by including the address and website (where available). If a place has multiple locations I have listed the closest one to PAX. A huge thanks to all of last years posters as people helping out suggesting places.

A notice to all out of towners going in large groups. Most places will charge an automatic gratuity of around 18% for groups 6 or more even if your service is subpar.

Disclaimer: I have not gone to 80% of these places they are all from users posts. If you feel a price level or description is wrong please let me know and I will adjust it.

Making suggestions and or corrections, places closed etc (and please do!!)

As people post places in the thread I will update the spreadsheet listing on Google docs with those that make sense and have enough details. PLEASE include what you think the pricing is like in the $-$$$ format if you suggest a listing. If you don't give me details chances are I will say oh sounds cool but not list it because I don't know enough about it. Please at least give the pricing and type of food. If you can include the address, website, and distance that is even more helpful. It may take me awhile to add some places but I review this thread often. Also I have seen what looks like some great suggestions but with no details so I have not been able to add them! Please provide details.

Price Scale:
I have done my best to put the pricing in the following scale please let me know if pricing is wrong as I mostly go off what people tell me or yelp or some other review says.

$ = less than $10
$$ = $10 - $20
$$$ = > $30
$$$$ = Crazy expensive

For those wondering ignore the yellow highlights (or don't) those are places I hope to visit is all...

Listing

And here are 2 extra maps of places other members have created.

Gluten Free places map

Fast Food map

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
vn6ID15.png

Moe Fwacky on

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    Wow! Great job on the list! Love the addresses too so we can find the places! Just need to figure out where we want to go and find some phone numbers so that we can make reservations easily! Will be printing the doc for sure!!

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    fantastic list - only one quick question - what price range do the $ > $$ > $$$ cover?
    for instance is it similar to -
    $ <10
    $$ 10-20
    $$$ > 30
    this would be kind of particularly useful to International travellers who are trying to create a budget (although due to the already much cheapness in general of US food I have in the past found places that some US people consider to be $$$ much cheaper than anything comparable in Europe :) )

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Last year the wife and I went to a wine bar called "Purple" (http://www.thepurplecafe.com/index.html) I'd probably place it at the edge of walking distance, but it was quite tasty and worth it.
    Also, I dunno if this is possible, but it'd be kinda cool to have an "Open Table" column with a deep link to the open table page for restaurents that have one. I tend to use that for all my reservation needs (especially when on the road.)
    fantastic list - only one quick question - what price range do the $ > $$ > $$$ cover?
    $ <10
    $$ 10-20
    $$$ > 30
    this would be kind of particularly useful to International travellers who are trying to create a budget (although due to the already much cheapness in general of US food I have in the past found places that some US people consider to be $$$ much cheaper than anything comparable in Europe :) )

I agree, except without the European experience (I was in spain some 9 years ago, but I don't remember prices.) I will say that I find Seattle Food signficantly more expensive than in the midwest, so I get a little stunned when a $$ listed place (not so much on the food list, but on websites like urban spoon) ends up costing me what a $$$$ place in St. Louis would, so some translating would be nice.)

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    $ <10
    $$ 10-20
    $$$ > 30

Good question mostly I have been "playing it by ear" but your scale is fairly accurate to what I have been trying to do. Except $$$ would be greater than $20 maybe $25. I can't guarantee the total accuracy though since I don't live in the Seattle area.

I will add that price scale to the top post and ask that people verify my current list if possible.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    thankee muchly

I already know that personally I'll be fine as I end up in america every year now (I even do a travellers guide for another con - which next time may be updated to include a similar spreadsheet to above - idea 'borrowing' ftw :) but I was just curious how the brackets compared with my LA experiences (and thinking more yeah $25 would make a better separator value than $20)

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I know it's already on the list, but I have to give a shout out to Von's.

Just a block+ from the WSCC, awesome lunch specials, and enough high-end booze (bourbon, scotch, shitloads of Gin, a couple selections of Absinthe, etc...) to appeal to any discerning drinker (like myself).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • poodpood SeattleRegistered User regular
    go out to Fremont, get yourself a pork sandwich at Paseo

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    This list is awesome! Was is compiled from favorite places or just those close by?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It is a list culled from community suggestions of their favorite places near PAX. This list would not exist without you guys. I just do the work of compiling it all, verification where I can, and putting it in a nice easy to use format.

I wish I could visit them all but that would take quite awhile. I am working on it though. Give me about 10 - 15 more PAXes :D

My favorite on the list is Molly Moons. They makes some wild crazy flavors of ice cream and it is darn good!

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• AlaendilAlaendil Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    This is impressive ... Thanks muchly

Elephant and Castle was good ... There was a karaoke place ..somewhere?.. that my friends took me to Sunday night and there was a bunch of nerd karaoke (probably the best time I've ever had at a place like that)

• clethraclethra Registered User regular
    I'm a vegan eater and I'm to the point where I have more places to eat than I have time to eat, which is really nice.

Surprised the the Pan Africa Market isn't on the list (http://www.panafricamarket.com/wp/) - it's down by the market and I go there every time I'm in Seattle for the vegetable combo with injera(vegan, although most of the menu is not). The Juicy Cafe in the Convention center has a limited menu during pax (http://www.thejuicycafe.com/) but is great for vegetarians/vegans/folks who want to take in some healthy food quickly - the lines are sometimes long but they've also got a good selection of grab-and-go stuff in the front. I also like visiting the Cinnamon Works bakery down in the market (http://www.cinnamonworks.com/) - they've got vegan and gluten free options for those that swing that way. My friends visit Maggiano's before Sakuracon every year(http://www.maggianos.com/en/Pages/home.aspx) - they're more spendy but all waiters carry a cheat sheet for what is vegan and what is gluten free so it's a nice place for a fancier meal if you're on a special diet.

Otherwise: Cyber Dogs is good, sometimes super packed and almost every time I go they complain about con-goers who don't tip - don't be that guy!

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thank you thank you thank you!! I am usually in the Seattle area to visit a friend so we end up eating at home or somewhere close to her place. This will help me keep the hubby happy with all kinds of delicious treats. Love it!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • ComplexityComplexity Registered User regular
    Although I can strongly vouch for salty's, it doesn't really belong on this list. It's on alki beach, across a highway bridge. Not really a PAX place.

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    pood wrote: »
    go out to Fremont, get yourself a pork sandwich at Paseo

The problem with that is there's no Paseo in Fremont. THere's one in Wallingford and one in Ballard. I think you're thinking of Royal Grinders.

edited May 2012
    The 100 best dishes in Seattle (according to some website). I've had most of these. I disagree with about 15% of them. But most of them are fantastic. The El Diablo at a place called Tango just up the hill from the convention center in particular is an absolutely mindblowing experience.

http://www.foodspotting.com/guides/84-the-seattle-100/memberships/716

Quintious on
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    any other pastrami fanatics want to head to Roxy's?

• DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    clethra wrote: »
    I'm a vegan eater and...

have you been to cafe flora? it requires a bus ride but sunday brunch is awesome.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    We are for sure getting sushi one night. Anyone recommend an amazing sushi place?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    We are for sure getting sushi one night. Anyone recommend an amazing sushi place?

Nishino. Get the omakase and be amazed.

• geekyglamorousgeekyglamorous Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Thanks for the list! Can anyone recommend a place to get milk tea/bubble tea?

Ambrosia Cafe, International District.

• cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    kaname, in international district, is a great place for authentic japanese food/ramen. it's a nice little family restaurant :)
    http://www.kaname-izakaya.com/

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    I usually go to Home Grown Sustainable Sandwich Shop for some tasty sandwiches. They're not the fastest sammich shop, but they are generally really amazing. I'm probably going to hit there at least once on the way down.

Also, if you're coming from the Hill to your hotel, or up the hill after a party, the Bluffernutter is an amazing tipsy-time sammich. Well, it used to be, but it looks like they may have changed it. It used to be bacon, mashmallow fluff, peanut butter, all deep friend in a hush puppy. It was hell on your arteries, I imagine...but soo goood.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
    ^The Bluffernutter isn't deep fried in a hush puppy, it's just a sandwich. At least it is these days. But yeah, it's definitely an interesting piece of cuisine. There are a lot of great eats in Fremont these days, though.

• lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I will be going to Salumi and bringing home at least 2 salamis this year. I can taste the finocchiona already!

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    ^The Bluffernutter isn't deep fried in a hush puppy, it's just a sandwich. At least it is these days. But yeah, it's definitely an interesting piece of cuisine. There are a lot of great eats in Fremont these days, though.

Home Grown is also on Capitol Hill, just four blocks from the Convention Center. (Melrose between Pike and Pine, I believe)

I think the last time I had the Bluffernutter was like 3 years ago, when the Cap Hill Home Grown just opened up. I think I was walking home around midnight from PAX or something. It was good. But, I don't recommend eating it with fries. I thought the salt and the sweet would be good, but...no...that one wasn't. The fries are good, mind you, but they don't mix with the Bluffernutter. I find it a lot tastier than Subway, anyways.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    There's an IGA Supermarket, Kress, just off 3rd and Pike. It's pretty small and they have a deli, but it's a short walk and you can just pick up something small to eat & drink there if you are looking for something quicker than a sit down restaurant.

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • LairdLaird Registered User regular
    For those of us not wanting to sit in a 50 person line for subway, half a block away there is a Jimmy Johns http://www.jimmyjohns.com/ half a block away from the convention center between 5th and 6th Ave. Great subs, fast, and cheap.

Laird wrote: »
    For those of us not wanting to sit in a 50 person line for subway, half a block away there is a Jimmy Johns http://www.jimmyjohns.com/ half a block away from the convention center between 5th and 6th Ave. Great subs, fast, and cheap.

If you come to one of the great food cities of the US and subsist off of Subway, you need to be taken out into the Puget Sound and dropped in the middle of it ;). There are a lot of non-sitdown type places near the convention center with spectacular offerings, don't do the chain thing.

Quintious wrote: »

If you come to one of the great food cities of the US and subsist off of Subway, you need to be taken out into the Puget Sound and dropped in the middle of it ;). There are a lot of non-sitdown type places near the convention center with spectacular offerings, don't do the chain thing.

Eh, I usually do cheap quick lunch (last year cold cuts in the room) and take in large breaths of your cities food at dinner. Drink it as it were, not sip it. My wallet does not allow both.
    I have a friend this year who will likely subsist off cliff bars and water the entire week so he can attend pax at all.

It's not as substantial as Sammiches, but quite tasty and fast, there is La Creperie Voila that has savory and sweet crepes for under $8 on Pike between 6th and 7th.

Tip for anybody who wants to lunch on Thursday and Friday early, there is a pulled pork sammich (and other yummy goodness) truck shaped like a pig that is usually at 2nd and Pike from 11-2. It's called Maximus Minimus/ and is totally tasty. If you're into spicy food, get your sandwich "with some hurt."

Tip for anybody who wants to lunch on Thursday and Friday early, there is a pulled pork sammich (and other yummy goodness) truck shaped like a pig that is usually at 2nd and Pike from 11-2. It's called Maximus Minimus/ and is totally tasty. If you're into spicy food, get your sandwich "with some hurt."

Ah yes, I read about this place, it's constantly rated up near the top in the nation. I missed it last year, I need to put it in my calender this year since we're comign in early. (Doing that now!)

• HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Calozzi's in Pioneer Square, around the corner from Trinity Nightclub. Awesome, genuine Philly cheesesteaks Price - $

Ballet on Capitol Hill for a fusion of various Asian foods. Price - $ to $$

Piroshki Piroshki (next to Pike's Market) for um... piroshkis. Price - $

Ivar's down near The Olde Curiosity Shop. Keep it Clam! Price - $ (outside) or $$ (inside)

Purple Dot in Chinatown/International District - $$

If I were you I would avoid the restaurants within Pike's Market completely for food (mostly overpriced).

HeyJoe on
    HeyJoe wrote: »
    Calozzi's in Pioneer Square, around the corner from Trinity Nightclub. Awesome, genuine Philly cheesesteaks Price - $

Ballet on Capitol Hill for a fusion of various Asian foods. Price - $ to $$

Piroshki Piroshki (next to Pike's Market) for um... piroshkis. Price - $

Ivar's down near The Olde Curiosity Shop. Keep it Clam! Price - $ (outside) or $$ (inside)

Purple Dot in Chinatown/International District - $$

If I were you I would avoid the restaurants within Pike's Market completely for food (mostly overpriced).

Disagree, unless you mean the sit-down places. Places like Michou, Pike Place Chowder, Piroshky Piroshky, etc. are amazing.

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    There's this place called Din Tai Fung which has the most amazing soup dumplings ever! They're way out of the way, but if you're a foodie they are not to be missed, just the thought makes me drool!

• NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Not sure if this is allowed... Pot Belly Deli on 4th and Pike. I believe there are other Downtown Seattle locations. It might not be special for folks from the East Coast where they are frequent, but there aren't a lot of them here on the West Coast. It's sandwich fair, but it is delicious sandwich fare that is a great value for the quality you are getting (IMO). Also cheap for the hungry con-goer!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/1/1599295/restaurant/Downtown/Potbelly-Sandwich-Shop-4th-Ave-Seattle

Oh and pro-tip, if you are looking to save money quickly for food in Downtown Seattle but don't feel like going to fast food, the Groupon Now or Living Social take-out smart phone app is excellent for getting discounts at food establishments, especially since the majority of participating restaurants are in Downtown Seattle.

Nazoshadow on
  • PlayerTryPlayerTry Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    One place me and a friend found by accident first year pax was in seattle was 13 Coins
    http://www.13coins.com/
    $10-$30+ meals depending on what you order
    its pretty awesome food and open 24 hours
    pretty close to El Corazon and REI

EDIT - its about .9 MI away from convention center

PlayerTry on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Is there a map anywhere with all these places pinned on it? If not, might it be possible to add a "distance from the convention center" line to the spreadsheet?

Otherwise, marvelous and incredibly informative. Thanks for putting this together!

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    edited May 2012
    Is there a map anywhere with all these places pinned on it? If not, might it be possible to add a "distance from the convention center" line to the spreadsheet?

Otherwise, marvelous and incredibly informative. Thanks for putting this together!

I think that's what the third column marked "distance" is: distance from Con.

The second column with entries called Gmap takes you directly to the address in Maps on my iPhone.

Although, it might be nice to have a map as well.

TheMisanthrope on
This discussion has been closed.