As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    jdarksun:

You'll need to cover up the spoilers. The First Avengers spoilers:
    I'm certain Red Skull isn't killed in the finale, merely teleported away via Bifrost Bridge by the Tesseract. Marvel isn't stupid enough to kill him off after one film.

Harry Dresden on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Can anyone tell me, without any proper spoilers, if they address in Avengers why Cap is even wearing a costume? From an in-universe perspective, they're not selling war bonds anymore. Shouldn't he just be wearing a S.H.I.E.L.D. suit or something?

Aurich wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, without any proper spoilers, if they address in Avengers why Cap is even wearing a costume? From an in-universe perspective, they're not selling war bonds anymore. Shouldn't he just be wearing a S.H.I.E.L.D. suit or something?

I'd imagine because he's still a very powerful, recognizable symbol in it.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Living Legend brought back from the past.

Plus, frickin ALIEN INVASION. Troop morale is more important than ever.

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular

Chicks dig the costume.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular

Yes they do. Directly in fact.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    AJR wrote: »

Yes they do. Directly in fact.

Am I right?!

jdarksun wrote: »
    jdarksun:

You'll need to cover up the spoilers.
    Hm, sorry about that. Thought CA:TFA had been around for long enough not to need it.

Nah, movies need to be like the original Star Wars or Jaws for that to be okay IIRC. CA: TFA is still really new. Posters can get really pissed when spoilers are leaked, even accidentally.

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Am I right?!

Since Auroch wants to keep completely spoiler free:
    Pretty much. Cap’s exploits in WW2 are still well known when he comes back to the present, and he’s still admired by most of the people he meets. He even asks Fury if he should be wearing the suit in this day and age, but Fury tells him that it’s what the troops will need.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hell no this ain't gettin' BOTP! Everyone needs to watch this!
    Godfather wrote: »

Godfather on
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    I'm so happy I'm not the only one having some issues on Cap's costume.
    I liked the WWII one better, even the helmet, which made a lot of sense in a friggin' war and didn't look bad at all.
    The modern-day costume was giving me a Captain Condom vibe, but I must say that in the movie it looks much better (minus the helmet) and once he gets it through some action it loses that freshly minted condom look and appears like some cool action armor/suit.
    It definitively grew on me, and Evans rocks it.
    He doesn't use much the helmet in the movie, anyway.
    The movie? IT IS AWESOME.

Joss Whedon is god.

BIG DAMN PAINFUL SPOILER
    I want them to avenge Coulson's death by bringing a holy war of retribution on the whole goddamn multiverse.
    He was my favourite.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Captain America looked worse but Whedon hit all the right notes characterizing him. I liked him a lot more in Avengers than I did in Cap.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    I always knew that this film would be making sick amounts of money, regardless of its quality. After seeing it though, I think I underestimated just how much it is going to be raking in.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Marvel really needs to hit a Grand Slam with this film financially. They've already been doing well, but some serious numbers would keep them in the game as a film studio for a decent amount of time.

• the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    well, I read that it's already a big hit only with the international openings, before the national (american) market. It will probably go somewhere near Titanic and Dark Knight.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The thing about Captain America's costume, in the movie they state that the costume itself was...
    Designed by Phil, a Captain America fanboy, if there ever was one.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    I posted my review in the Movies thread.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Big spoiler
    God damn it Joss Whedon why do you always kill my favorite characters? First Wash and now Phil. At least his death actually had meaning, unlike Wash. I 100% knew he was going to do it too. The moment I heard Whedon was directing I said, "fuck, he is going to kill Agent Coulson." Oh well. His part up to that point was so awesome it made up for it and I was still thoroughly entertained by the movie.

Still sad that there will be no more Agent Coulson.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I gotta learn how to schedule seeing these kinds of movies before release day. Everywhere is sold out already =(. Gotta wait until tomorrow or Sunday.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Saw the midnight showing. Loved every part of it. Good mixture of laughter and action, couple sad spots. I can say it's my favorite Marvel movie overall, and right up there with Dark Knight (obviously they are very tonally different, but still).

Some more in depth feelings (Spoilers abound here):

Mark Ruffalo was perfect as Banner/Hulk. He has a sense of, nervousness around while playing Banner that is perfect. Like he knows what lies beneath at all times. He really stole the show in many places.

RDJ as Iron Man was great as always. It was nice to see Pepper in the movies for a few short scenes. They have great dynamic.

Agent Coulson, noooo! I liked his parts in the movie though. Even after being mortally wounded, his lines were good.

The fight between Iron Man and Thor was pretty great in my opinion...in some ways I liked it the best. The second action sequence was definitely the weakest.

I thought they did a good job of giving the lesser powered folks stuff to do that actually made them useful...but the power gap was definitely noticeable.

Loki was great, and I really enjoyed how he's kind of become unhinged. You could still see jut a shred of the mischievous character he was at the beginning of Thor, but now just completely bonkers. I was kind of underwhelmed with how un-menacing he came off as. He was always getting his ass kicked, or getting one up'ed by the Avengers. In some ways I think that was a good thing, as it showed how desperate he was, and how ultimately he was just a pawn. Hulk beating the crap out of him at the end was perfect.

With regards to post-credits scenes, the US got two of them, one halfway through the credits, and another at the very end.

Halfway through:
    I guess that's Thanos? That could be pretty badass...though I wonder how they'll pull that off.

Post credits scene:
    The Avengers just sitting around a table eating, no lines. That was perfect for some reason. I can't explain why, just really liked it.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but I was looking at the last page post where it showed both cap costumes, the new one being the very poor camera shot where it's all clean.

In comparing both costumes, using the battle worn WW2 outfit and the Battle worn new outfit when he's standing by Thor, they honestly both look good, and I noticed something else.

The WW2 costume was very period. It was heavy, bulky, meant for front assault, very "go army!" in it's mentality, as where the new costume is meant to elicit the same response, but also recognize the evolution of combat apparel.

Really it's just the damn helmet. I think, since everyone and their brother knows Steve Rogers is Cap and there's no need for anonymity, he should just go maskless since it's not like that mask offers any defense whatsoever.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but I was looking at the last page post where it showed both cap costumes, the new one being the very poor camera shot where it's all clean.

In comparing both costumes, using the battle worn WW2 outfit and the Battle worn new outfit when he's standing by Thor, they honestly both look good, and I noticed something else.

The WW2 costume was very period. It was heavy, bulky, meant for front assault, very "go army!" in it's mentality, as where the new costume is meant to elicit the same response, but also recognize the evolution of combat apparel.

Really it's just the damn helmet. I think, since everyone and their brother knows Steve Rogers is Cap and there's no need for anonymity, he should just go maskless since it's not like that mask offers any defense whatsoever.

As has been stated a few times in the thread, basically the helmet is just there because it's an iconic Captain America thing, and he barely wears it in the movie.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    From the screenshots I've seen, it does at least look like the cowl has a skullcap built in there, and it could be transduraplatinium-steel or whatever.

• SiLlYxAzNSiLlYxAzN Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

As has been stated a few times in the thread, basically the helmet is just there because it's an iconic Captain America thing, and he barely wears it in the movie.

He should just not have it at all since he doesn't even wear it and plus most people already know who he is.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Marvel really needs to hit a Grand Slam with this film financially. They've already been doing well, but some serious numbers would keep them in the game as a film studio for a decent amount of time.

Not only that but I'm sure Disney is thankful this will help them break even for the year from John Carter's impact crater earlier this year.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The blood bank's changed their movie tickets to a credit so I can apply it to an IMAX 3D showing tonight if I want to.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This movie has a lot of people online shitting on it, and I gotta say it's the most fun I've had at the theater in a very, very long time.

Internet, you're too fucking cynical, I came to see a movie that's like a michael bay movie from an alternate universe where michael bay is extremely competent, and I was not disappointed. The humor was funny, the action was good (some of it okay some of it phenomenal). Some plot elements make no sense
    really panel? nuking New York? you gave the army like five minutes and then called it, honestly from what we saw there was no indication the military couldn't handle any of those guys that got past the avengers

But seriously, it was a blast

override367 on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    The blood bank's changed their movie tickets to a credit so I can apply it to an IMAX 3D showing tonight if I want to.

Go for it, saw it that way last night, and it was amazing, easily the strongest conversion 3D work I've seen and IMAX actually has decent color saturation and contrast levels compared to RealD, so you can in fact see what the hell is happening.

The extra contrast would be necessary in this one, as a lot of the action in the first 2 acts takes place in fairly low light environments, would probably be muddy and hard to track w/ RealD.

Overall, I loved the shit out of this movie, and am carefully planning when I can see it again. Hulk was awesome, Black Widow got some nice character moments, Hawkeye becomes a total bad-ass in the 3rd act, and the Banner + Stark interplay was to die for.

I'd give it a solid 4.5/5. Has a few melodramatic/overwrought moments, the rest is pure, distilled fuckawesome.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I tried to get IMAX 3D tickets earlier today before they sold out in an attempt to leave work early to catch the showing. The following is a conversation between my manager, two co-workers, and I. Names are replaced with generic placeholders.

You can imagine me refreshing Fandango several times throughout it(spoilered for length):
    Me [10:52 AM]:
    So (Manager A)....

Me [10:52 AM]:
    How do you feel about us taking off early to catch a 3:40 imax 3D showing at king of prussia?
    of the avengers*

Manager A [10:53 AM]:
    you need (Manager B's) approval--not mine

Co-worker A [10:53 AM]:
    haha (Koopah) needs your approval

Me [10:53 AM]:
    Haha

Manager [10:54 AM]:
    sure, but that will follow (Manager B)'s decision

Co-worker B[10:54 AM]:
    I don't know where (Koopah) comes up with these crazy ideas

Me [10:55 AM]:
    Of course, but (Manager B) is offline and I don't have his number.

Me [10:58 AM]:
    So we're asking (Manager B) because he is (Co-worker B)'s manager and he needs approval right?
    But you've already said that's okay for me and (Co-worker A)?
    or do we need (Manager B)'s approval for all of us?

Manager A has gone idle [11:00 AM].

Me [11:03 AM]:
    ?
    Me [11:05 AM]:
    ?
    Me [11:07 AM]:
    ?
    Me [11:14 AM]:
    ?

Me [11:37 AM]:
    Nevermind, the 3:40pm sold out. =(

Manager A is now available [11:42 AM].

Manager A [11:43 AM]:
    sorry to hear it
    now get back to work
    :)

Me [11:43 AM]:
    YOU MONSTER!

Manager A [11:43 AM]:
    evil lol

Me [11:44 AM]:
    I'm crushed.
    Going to lunch >_>

Manager A [11:45 AM]:
    hey! it's not even noon yet!
    you gotta wait for the bell!

On the brighter side, I ordered tickets for this Sunday with some brothers in my fraternity for IMAX 3D. So not as soon as I hoped, but I will see it and it will be glorious.

KoopahTroopah on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Go for it, saw it that way last night, and it was amazing, easily the strongest conversion 3D work I've seen and IMAX actually has decent color saturation and contrast levels compared to RealD, so you can in fact see what the hell is happening.

The extra contrast would be necessary in this one, as a lot of the action in the first 2 acts takes place in fairly low light environments, would probably be muddy and hard to track w/ RealD.

I saw it in Real3D and the colors and lighting felt fine to me. A little dark of course, but I didn't have any trouble tracking the action.

Though I did occasionally have my eyes forced out of focus due to the way some of the nearer elements were made 3D. I can't say if that was a problem with the post-processing or my slight far-sightedness causing problems.

gjaustin on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It's not a perfect film by any means, but it's so damn fun that I don't care. Loki was amazing. Easily the best Marvel film since the first Iron Man.

Whedon's experience with ensembles really shows. Everyone gets their moments and there are a few group scenes that are fantastic.
    I love when everyone is arguing in the science lab, just before the breakout.

Also, I spent a year trying to figure out how they would work Thor into the film given how his film ended. Turns out it's in the most comic-booky way possible, and I love it.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    This movie. THIS MOVIE! I loved it.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I accidentally saw it in RealD

The Prometheus trailer looked gorgeous.

steam_sig.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Alright, just saw the movie.

It was..pretty good. Not as good as Iron Man (1) or Hulk in my opinion, but still great.

What I liked:
    - Iron Man / Robert Downey Junior. They could release hundres of Iron Man movies and I'd watch them all. He's just..perfect.
    - Hulk. Damn, he was kicking some ass. Almost made me forget that Edward Norton could / should've played that role.
    - Scarlett Johansson. Her character was kinda boring, but..it's Scarlett Johansson. In a tight bodysuit. What more could you want?
    - The action. As expected from a Marvel movie, flawlessly executed.
    - Surprisingly, the 3D. I still think 3D is a blight on movies and can't disappear fast enough, but it really didn't bother me here. No "OMG shit flying in your face!" effects, mostly subtle stuff that didn't me wanna claw my eyes out.

What I didn't like:
    - Captain America. Bland as hell. Also, that scene set in Stuttgart made me groan..yeah yeah, we get it, Amurrica (fuck yeah!) here to save the day again in Germany. Ugh.
    - Loki. Probably my biggest problem with the movie. He's just a weak villain, just as he was in Thor. Yeah, his plan and eventually his army is pretty threatening, but he himself? Nope. I lost count on how many times he got his ass kicked in the movie.
    - Consequently and unfortunately, Thor. I don't dislike the character or the actor at all, in the contrary..but what really made him great and enjoyable to watch in his own movie was the interaction with the other characters. Here, he pretty much only interacts with Loki, who I didn't like, so yeah..

Still, an enjoyable movie overall. I don't regret seeing it.

Question regarding the stinger:
    Having learned my lesson from the other movies, I stuck around till after the credits, so..who was that guy? Was that supposed to be Heimdall? Kinda looked like him.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Maz- wrote: »
    Having learned my lesson from the other movies, I stuck around till after the credits, so..who was that guy? Was that supposed to be Heimdall? Kinda looked like him.

Answer:
    And why does Loki have to be physically threatening? He's not a bruiser, he's a trickster and played that role perfectly. But if you put him in a fistfight, of course he's going to get his ass kicked.

Tomanta on
    edited May 2012
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

Answer:
    And why does Loki have to be physically threatening? He's not a bruiser, he's a trickster and played that role perfectly. But if you put him in a fistfight, of course he's going to get his ass kicked.

Loki's not a bad fighter, it's just not his strong suit. Being an Asgardian
    and Ice Giant
    gives him enormous advantages in combat mortals lack unless they have super-powers, magic or advanced technology. Thor spoiler
    He's skilled enough to give Thor a decent fight with Odin's spear and take on numerous Frost Giants in battle.
    Loki just prefers to have others fight for him or long distance attacks with magic.

Harry Dresden on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Saw a midnight showing in IMAX 3D. Theater atmosphere was great; had Thor and Iron Man cosplayers, and a Hulk that yelled and ripped his shirt off. Movie itself was fantastic, one of my all time favorites and favorite superhero move. So many fantastic moments and satisfying action.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Saw a matinee today, of course it doesn't overcome the weird, bloated nature that comes with the core concept of throwing a bunch of disparate superheroes together, but damn if it wasn't a fun movie.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    What was weird and bloated about it? I thought they pulled off the disparate characters thing pretty well.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.