As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Azula is a fantastic villain. Every single victory of hers in the first two seasons is believable. She's calculating, manipulative and cold, yet knows that leading people isn't just about scaring them but also about encouraging them as well. She puts Ozai to pitiful shame.

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    I agree with Cilla a little
    They can't seem to decide what they want to do with Azula. There are bits where she's genuinely sociopathic and very evil, but then you get hints of her being a whole person, albeit very misguided, like in The Beach. She has some twists and quirks to her personality, she's a perfectionist and extremely strong-willed.

They also really waffled on her motivation. It seems like she's wholly self-motivated, then she's extremely loyal to Ozai, enough so that it crushes her when he leaves.

If they were going to make her a genuine sociopath, I wish they'd have done what I thought they were going to do: have her kill Ozai at some point in Book 3 and take over as Big Bad.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    azula felt like

is there a villain version of a mary sue

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Well to be fair,
    the loyalty to ozai thing came after her "friends" turned on her. They were pretty much her entire support structure and without it she had nothing so she latched onto dad

plus she was like 14 right?

Also she could have never killed ozai because he was way the hell stronger than she was

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I guess I just found it hard to sympathize with azula
    after she got chained up I was all "gee that sucks but she was batshit loco so I don't really care"

and I mean it's not like she wasn't raised by at least one loving parent (until her mother killed the old fire lord and ran away) she was just broken in the head
    See, I got the strong impression that Ursa devoted much more time to Zuko than Azula, and it was Azula's resentment of her mother that fueled her paranoia.

I think Ursa bears some blame for how Azula turned out. You can say she had to focus on Zuko since Ozai despised him, but Azula's assertion that her mother thought she was a monster didn't come out of nowhere.

I think it came from
    azula being a monster
    This isn't really expanded upon. It's sort of the chicken or the egg situation, because we don't know if Azula became... off because her mother favored Zuko or if her mother favored Zuko because she was... off. If we want to go the sympathetic route, it could be that her skill in firebending caused her shit crazy father to devote more time into training her to be crazy, and her mother becoming distant because of the exacerbated the situation. If we want to go the sociopath route, it was because she's a sociopath.
    Plausible. Being taught early on to be a daddy's girl when your dad is Ozai is going to screw you up mentally. Assuming she was a little off from the beginning Ozai's influence only increased her sociopathic or psychopathic traits. Another reason the mother didn't get close to her is that Ozai might have kept her under his wing and she was free to help Zuko because his father might have thought he was "weak" for not being a Firebending prodigy.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    yeah seriously

after all the screen time azula gets, one would expect her to take over as the main baddie at the end of the series

not this ozai character nobody gives a fuck about

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    dang, yet another clip from the next episode is up

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I don't really feel much for Azula as a character, but I liked that she was a consistently competent threat

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    is that uh, allowed

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Dapper better get the next thread

don't trust any of you people not to deliver a big old poop

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Harrier wrote: »
    I agree with Cilla a little
    They can't seem to decide what they want to do with Azula. There are bits where she's genuinely sociopathic and very evil, but then you get hints of her being a whole person, albeit very misguided, like in The Beach. She has some twists and quirks to her personality, she's a perfectionist and extremely strong-willed.

They also really waffled on her motivation. It seems like she's wholly self-motivated, then she's extremely loyal to Ozai, enough so that it crushes her when he leaves.

If they were going to make her a genuine sociopath, I wish they'd have done what I thought they were going to do: have her kill Ozai at some point in Book 3 and take over as Big Bad.
    Azula's set up was perfect, and I really think all the things they were trying to do with her during Sozin's Comet would have made much more sense if they'd spent more time developing her situation.

My best guess is the never intended for her to be a true sociopath, but that she got fucked up at a young age by her crazy ass father who focused on her because of her bending talents. The behavior taught her by Ozai scared away her mother, who had a more agreeable child to look after, which did its own damage.

I'd have expected to have seen a flashback episode where we're really given an idea of what Ozai training her was like and the damage it caused, which would have developed the man himself more at the same time as bringing some light into Azula's situation.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    is the ending of The Beach supposed to be funny

they trashed his entire house because he was slightly pretentious

oh well, the ending picture is hilarious

the entire episode is supposed to be funny dum dum

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    I don't really feel much for Azula as a character, but I liked that she was a consistently competent threat
    She didn't even need her powers to be a threat, either. She'd have made a badass Chi-Blocker.

• Options
    ok I just think azula is extremely awesome because she's insane and also very funny and super competent and also
    the speech she gives Long Fang in Crossroads of Destiny is just

unf

But I know it

and you know it

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    She didn't even need her powers to be a threat, either. She'd have made a badass Chi-Blocker.

who says she still hasn't? </tinfoilhat>

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    ok I just think azula is extremely awesome because she's insane and also very funny and super competent and also
    the speech she gives Long Fang in Crossroads of Destiny is just

unf

But I know it

and you know it
    I'm not even sure I'd describe her as flat-out insane at the start.

I mean, totally sociopathic, manipulative as shit, and brilliant, yes. But she was totally in control until

well, you know. I won't go into it in case anyone not versed with book 3 reads this.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about Azula taking any place in Korra at all in flashbacks or whatever. She got her time in TLA. Maybe just like an offhand mention.

• Options
    S3 finale spoilers
    she was always crazy

she was just crazy with a goal and a fun girl support system

and then her support system betrayed her and she got her goal way before she expected

and then it's just the crazy left

• Options
    She and Ozai really don't have anything to add to Korra, the conflict in republic city is pretty separate from them (aside from republic city being the fire nation colonies turned into an urban center)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I really shouldn't be so surprised that so many people like azula when I don't, it seems to be a fairly predictable trend

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    she's not a good person

she's a terrible person

what she is is a great villain

funny, competent, and with a good motivation

Skull Man on
  • Options
    S3 finale spoilers
    she was always crazy

and then her support system betrayed her and she got her goal way before she expected

This doesn't really play though
    She was always crazy, yeah, but there are a bunch of different kinds of crazy, and the kind she's presented as early on in the series isn't the same kind as later. Losing your friends doesn't change a sociopath into whatever you'd classify her as during Sozin's comet.

I love the character, but her development in Sozin's comet comes from nowhere and makes little sense considering what she'd been before.

• Options
    S3 finale spoilers
    she was always crazy

She was always crazy, yeah, but there are a bunch of different kinds of crazy, and the kind she's presented as early on in the series isn't the same kind as later. Losing your friends doesn't change a sociopath into whatever you'd classify her as during Sozin's comet.

I love the character, but her development in Sozin's comet comes from nowhere and makes little sense considering what she'd been before.
    we'd never seen her alone before, though

we'd only ever seen azula the manipulator. azula the networker/leader, azula the driven

and suddenly she has no one to manipulate, no one to network/lead, and she has no goal left

and all that scheming and brilliance that runs all the time has nowhere to go and, coupled with the betrayal by ty lee and mai, turns to paranoia against the people closest to her

and she sheds them and sheds them and like the serpent she so utterly is she devours herself

• Options
    stay outta here BFL and bugboy whole avatar series spoilers in here
    she's brought into the series with a guy saying that it is too dangerous to bring a ship in to shore

and she goes off on this speech about how you damn well better defy the tides and the rocks or I'll kill you or whatever
    and I guess it was supposed to set her tone
    but all I could think was man
    this girl is a dope
    she's gonna get this ship sunk

but no it was a thing they kept going with, this hyper-competent twelve year old girl that succeeds at everything and everyone is terrified of her and she always wins and jeez show if you love azula so much why don't you marry her

and then in the end she just starts to get interesting and then BAM SERIES OVER

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    here's the thing though, dich
    she was right about the ship

or rather she was right about the captain

the captain was afraid of her

fear is something she understands

love? nope

• Options
    S3 finale spoilers
    she was always crazy

we'd only ever seen azula the manipulator. azula the networker/leader, azula the driven

and suddenly she has no one to manipulate, no one to network/lead, and she has no goal left

and all that scheming and brilliance that runs all the time has nowhere to go and, coupled with the betrayal by ty lee and mai, turns to paranoia against the people closest to her

and she sheds them and sheds them and like the serpent she so utterly is she devours herself
    Which makes sense and all when you spell it out like that, but you're walking through the various stages. The show didn't. It didn't spell out much of anything except her two friends betrayed her and oh now she's madly cutting off strands of her own hair. No decline. Just straight from one to the other. It was kind of sloppy is all I'm saying. I can understand why they didn't have the funds or whatever to devote more time to it, but that doesn't change what it is.

• Options
    you know who was a more interesting villain than azula?

sparky-sparky boom man

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    S3 finale spoilers
    she was always crazy

Which makes sense and all when you spell it out like that, but you're walking through the various stages. The show didn't. It didn't spell out much of anything except her two friends betrayed her and oh now she's madly cutting off strands of her own hair. No decline. Just straight from one to the other. It was kind of sloppy is all I'm saying. I can understand why they didn't have the funds or whatever to devote more time to it, but that doesn't change what it is.
    she literally said "they would have just betrayed me in the end. just like may and ty lee"

• Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular

Mysst wrote: »

you fucking talkin' trash on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys?

Hercules?

More like
    Kevin Sorbo's lines weren't written very well. Hercules is best when he is hitting things or getting hit by things and then hitting them back.

but I can very easily how benders get promoted and such simply because they're the only ones with work experience, because nonbenders aren't hired for those jobs because of how inefficient they are

Yes, and no. Eventually some of those Earthbenders are going to own their own company. (Or any other benders for that matter.) And when that happens, and they have a workforce of benders, who should manage them? A bender who understands what it's like to be a bender, or a non bender who has never bended a day in their life.

You'd say it shouldn't matter, and you'd be right, but it doesn't even have to be that widespread. Once benders get the idea that non benders are somehow less than them, it becomes justified to treat non benders like that.

"What, I'm not discriminating, everyone knows that non benders aren't good at managing benders. They don't understand what we go through. It's just how it is."

With the most recognized and revered figure being the Avatar, it wouldn't be that hard for someone with bending ability to convince themselves that because they share some bending skill with the Avatar that benders are somehow wiser or more qualified to run the world than non benders.

Sort of an "I'm more Avatar-like" than they are argument.

Even if a difference is genuinely a physical one that causes one group to effectively control a society, that society should strive continuously to accomidate every member without making them feel that they are the lesser partners. If Republic City, and maybe the greater Avatar world in general wants to do something about the problem, they need to address the issues involved. Just yelling "deal with it" over and over will do nothing to actually address how those people feel.

• Options
    Sparky-sparky boom man wasn't even a villain. He was a force of nature on two legs, with no more character development than a tornado the characters have to face and get around.

• Options
    Which is fine. Not all villains need to be Ahab. I'm just saying is all.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Argh, so I wanted to watch the latest Korra episode again, because it's awesome and I really needed to see the last third with the action again. Watching it on Nick.com is working great, until I get to the third segment and it tells me that this video is not available in my region. Seriously what the heck? You put a different region code on part 3 compared to parts 1 and 2? Not cool.

Now I am sad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just like saying sparky-sparky boom man

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    sparky sparky boom man was pretty awesome though

the crackling sound of his charge ups never gets old

• Options
    well that's not his name but

• Options
    S3 finale spoilers
    she was always crazy

she literally said "they would have just betrayed me in the end. just like may and ty lee"
    A single line to justify a near polar shift in character. Nah. It was a rush job skull man, a sloppy sloppy rush job.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Thank you skull man for having good opinions

• Options
    His name is totally spark sparky boom man

fuck combustion man

• Options
    I wonder if korra will have a character pulling the same kind of magic bending stunt sparky-sparky boom man did

0BnD8l3.gif
This discussion has been closed.