As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Good lord is the wheel of time not over yet.

After matrium cauthon had a wall fall on him I lost interest in the series. The fact Jordan spent about 400 pages explaining the nature of magic pretty much made me want to ... anyways ...

The magic was explained fairly neatly and quickly in the first book. True Source, two halves, Dark One's taint.

It's after book 7 or 8 that the subplots and supporting characters get out of control, yeah

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yeah MT, I mean...I'm not typically one to coo over a behbeh, but yours is crazy adorable. :P

And I am also sick! From my boss, even! *Sickly high-five*

Hes pretty proud.

Also hes still sick. :<

HAH! I bet he is...I don't know what the hell this is, but it's horribad. My skin hurts. MY SKIN.

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Sanderson is a much better writer than a significant portion of writers. He's the type that writes for the sheer joy of it more than anything else, and talks excitedly about his work when not buried in it.

I still have yet to read his share of WoT (or any WoT, for that matter, though I'm told it's excellent), but I've read almost all of his other works. I recommend Way of Kings or the Mistborn series.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I agree Sanderson is quite good. I read the Mistborn trilogy and the Elantris. All very good. His characters and world building are great.

But the fact he had to take over after Robert Jordan is a prime example of how insanely out of hand the Wheel of Time series got. Granted I havent read the last ??? many books. I think I stoped at 6 or 7, dont remember.

Now if someone told me Sanderson killed everyone in Wheel of Time maybe Id be interested enough to go and read his continuation of the series.

But probably not.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    r-jasper wrote: »
    Mustang wrote: »
    Woohoo, got my holiday to Queensland booked. Booo, I have to work this weekend. Yaay, I get lots of overtime monies.
    what're you seeing in QLD 'Stang?

We're going to Surfers to do all the tourist stuff. It's not really my scene but I'm sure the rest of my family will love it, so I will too.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    For anyone looking for a good "meets you where you're at and makes you better over time" workout program that you can do on your own at your own pace with no gym membership look at this article.
    The workout is laid out on page 10. The way it works, you start with a diagnostic to find where you are now. The goal of the program is to help you find what you are capable of completing so that you aren't discouraged by setting arbitrary standards too high for yourself. When you meet a clearly stated criteria you move up a rung on the chart, that way it is simultaneously challenging and fulfilling.

scribd.com/manuals%26manuals/d/33695549-The-Nco-Journal-Summer-1997

I've been doing this program for a while and it is working out pretty well so far. If you have any questions on the article PM or w/e

ninjai on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Oh god. Wish me luck, about to do a factory reset on my compy since it's decided it's a big fan of freezing 10 seconds after I get into Windows when not in safe mode.

Hopefully I don't fuck this up.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    What, are you just reinstalling from a disk image that came with it?

You don't need luck, it's pretty simple.

• NicNic Registered User regular
    Man, as much as I'm loving playing Shenmue on an actual Dreamcast, I really should do some drawing tonight. Also I know Shenmue is, as games go, kind of boring, but it's my kind of kind of boring. Plus you can play Space Harrier and Hang-On in the arcade.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    @Scos
    Well, I just did it so yeah, that bit is easy. The luck part is in making sure that I haven't lost any sort of essential data in the process- I think I got everything backed up, but we'll see.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    On the road againnnnn

Going back to Ohio for the weekend. Come party if you want.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    So, what are the options for therapy and medication when you don't have insurance? Stress has given me what's basically a constant low-level panic attack for the last 2-3 months. Heart's beating like a jackhammer for most of the day, every day. Should probably be looked into.

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Get more sleep?

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    r-jasper wrote: »
    Woohoo, got my holiday to Queensland booked. Booo, I have to work this weekend. Yaay, I get lots of overtime monies.
    what're you seeing in QLD 'Stang?

We're going to Surfers to do all the tourist stuff. It's not really my scene but I'm sure the rest of my family will love it, so I will too.
    dude. i'm the worst local. i wouldn't even think to send people there. whenever anyone asks me where to go in queesnland the most they get out of me is "uuuuummmmmm"

have fun duder. try not to get shot by a bikie!

r-jasper on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I can finally announce that I did the inks for a variant of the Adventure Time comic issue #4!

It's not a nationally printed variant though, and we're going to be selling them exclusively at my work's art festival here in Maine. I still feel pretty durn cool though. Like it's the beginning of my montage to becoming a famous comic artist where it'll all go to my head and then I'll have to learn the hard way what it means to be humble.

EDIT: ALSO GO SEE THE AVENGERS BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME

melting_doll on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think the "boringness" of Shenmue is what makes it so great. Games are all about flipping and shooting and lasers and guns and biceps and the end of the world, so when a game can make you excited about taking a note to an old lady in an antique shop, it's doing something right.

MD: grats to heck. That's awesome. (ed: Oh good! Ugly, obtrusive emoticon!)

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I can finally announce that I did the inks for a variant of the Adventure Time comic issue #4!

It's not a nationally printed variant though, and we're going to be selling them exclusively at my work's art festival here in Maine. I still feel pretty durn cool though. Like it's the beginning of my montage to becoming a famous comic artist where it'll all go to my head and then I'll have to learn the hard way what it means to be humble.

EDIT: ALSO GO SEE THE AVENGERS BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME

Thats rad!! Grats

Also grats to everyone else who I missed saying grats to!

ALSO THE AVENGERS WAS SO AMAZING I WANNA PET LOKIS HAIR EVERYONE GO SEE IT

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I was bitterly disappointed by The Avangers. The plot was pretty lame, the characters were as shallow as they could be, even R.Downey let me down, and I think he did great in the Iron Man movies.

To me, the whole movie was basically a CG fight clip, THAT part was awesome, all the other parts that should make a movie, scripts, plot, characters development, etc. I found it very very poor.
    ( I did enjoy the brief encounter of Hulk and Loki )

PS: Hopefully now that they have already displayed all the CG effects, and sort of got the team working, I expect the sequel to have more substance.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I 100% thought that spoiler was gonna contain j/k

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    no, it was just in the odd case that someone hasnt actually watched the movie yet.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    Ohhh man. My Kickstarter campaign to turn Peter & Company into an animated series is now less than $1K away from reaching its goal, with 17 days still remaining.

If anyone would like to help the project reach the finish line by sharing the link around Facebook/Twitter/etc., it would seriously be a HUGE help! I'll also be setting up a blog soon to document and share the production of the pilot episode.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Super awesome, MD!

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think part of the reason The Avengers may have felt shallow was because they had covered all of the character backstory in the other films. Also with so many characters and complicated backstories and motivations it was difficult to expand any single one without taking the shine away from the others. Personally I didn't feel like that was a bad thing, but I can see where you're coming from.

Flay on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @Scos
    Well, I just did it so yeah, that bit is easy. The luck part is in making sure that I haven't lost any sort of essential data in the process- I think I got everything backed up, but we'll see.

Yeah, you never REALLY know until it's over. I lost a ton of old art from a HD crashing (?). Pissed me off greatly.
    Ohhh man. My Kickstarter campaign to turn Peter & Company into an animated series is now less than $1K away from reaching its goal, with 17 days still remaining.

If anyone would like to help the project reach the finish line by sharing the link around Facebook/Twitter/etc., it would seriously be a HUGE help! I'll also be setting up a blog soon to document and share the production of the pilot episode.

Wow, that's awesome Jon (that is your name right?)!

F87 on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Happy birthday, Mr. Firman!

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Welp, apparently my parents are questioning my sexuality because I am "so adamant" about my support for gay marriage!

No, it not because it's the right thing to do, it's definitely cause I love getting that butt sex!

Godfather on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Welp, apparently my parents are questioning my sexuality because I am "so adamant" about my support for gay marriage!

No, it not because it's the right thing to do, it's definitely cause I love getting that butt sex!

Hey man, when you're like 60 and your kids are adamantly supporting interspecies alien marriage you're going to accuse them of being "damn alien bangers" or "tentacle lovers" too... Don't judge.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »

Wow, that's awesome Jon (that is your name right?)!

Thanks! Yep, I'm Jonathan. I've known a few folks who legitimately thought my name was Peter, hehe.

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I'm officially afraid of the MSPA forums after reading what that person has said about what people are doing over there. I'm really happy about Andrew's success, though.

• bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    I agree Sanderson is quite good. I read the Mistborn trilogy and the Elantris. All very good. His characters and world building are great.

But the fact he had to take over after Robert Jordan is a prime example of how insanely out of hand the Wheel of Time series got. Granted I havent read the last ??? many books. I think I stoped at 6 or 7, dont remember.

Now if someone told me Sanderson killed everyone in Wheel of Time maybe Id be interested enough to go and read his continuation of the series.

But probably not.

The first book he took over, The Gathering Storm was by far in my opinion the most painful to work through. Every paragraph was like

"Rand was cold, and hard, and steel. He stared with his steely eyes so coldly at the Aes Sedai. His hard coldness was unwavering in its steelyness. Rand al Thor was coldhard."

The next book in the story was leaps and bounds better, and he seems to be making his best effort at bringing the insanely branching stories back to something resembling a cohesive whole.

I liked the Mistborn series, but The Alloy of Law was quite frankly disappointing, and it leaves me hesitant to follow him through the goal of creating a present day 3 story ark, followed by a future time 3 story ark. If they're anything like this last release i think he's missed the boat.

If i had a major complaint about Sanderson's work is that he needs to refine his control of time lines. The way of kings jumps you from millenia ago, to near recent, to recent, with differing time lines set for each character. WoT is even worse off as events relayed in the future dictate the outcome of characters whose stories are still being told in the past. That could be attributable to Jordan however.

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Grifter wrote: »
    I'm officially afraid of the MSPA forums after reading what that person has said about what people are doing over there. I'm really happy about Andrew's success, though.

There's a lot of self indulgent fanfiction, but there's also original work. Like for example!

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Oh man MD, that's awesome!!! Super happy congratulations for you, this is pretty fantastic stuff.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Finally over.

I really don't want to get dragged into something like that again.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Finally over.

I really don't want to get dragged into something like that again.

Let's be honest though. Who doesn't love butt sex?

steam_sig.png
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    People without butts to have sex with.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    They are the loneliest people.

steam_sig.png
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thanks guyyys :3

Don't forget that this Saturday (tomorrow!) is Free Comic Book Day! Go to your local comic shop and get free stuff (:

melting_doll on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular

Don't fight who you are. All of PA:AC is behind you.

Snickering.

Meanwhile, I found some of my old comic edits

edit.jpg
    pewpew.gif

But I forgot which comics spawned them. :(

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Thanks guyyys :3
    Don't forget that this Saturday (tomorrow!) is Free Comic Book Day! Go to your local comic shop and get free stuff (:
    the most local comic book store from here is quite literally 100 miles from here...

and congrats MD!

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The nearest for me is 20 miles. Some day I'll move to somewhere with more monuments to culture.

MKR on
This discussion has been closed.